What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Forsett an Ascendant Talent? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Justin Forsett exited Week 11 against the Rams with a broken right arm and will not return.

Forsett was slammed to the turf for a five-yard loss by Rams' stud DT Aaron Donald midway through the first quarter. Trainers immediately ran on the field and put an air cast on Forsett's arm. With Terrance West inactive, Buck Allen and Raheem Mostert are left at running back. Forsett rushed four times for 26 yards before leaving and was well on his way to a successful afternoon.

Nov 22 - 1:32 PM

Rotoworld:

Justin Forsett (arm) is ahead of schedule in his recovery.

Forsett expects to be fully healthy in 4-5 weeks. He’ll miss the rest of the year, but should have a normal offseason. 30-year-old Forsett is scheduled to count $3.7M against the 2016 cap.

Source: CSN Baltimore

Dec 19 - 5:32 PM

Speaking on NFL Network, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Justin Forsett (arm) is back to 100 percent.
He sat out the Ravens' final six games last season with a broken arm. Forsett earned a three-year deal after his breakout season in 2014 (career-high 1,266 yards and eight touchdowns) but he turns 31 in October and the Ravens may have drafted his eventual replacement in fourth-round pick Kenneth Dixon. The veteran will open training camp as the No. 1 back but he'll have to work hard to stay ahead of Dixon and Buck Allen.

Apr 30 - 2:58 PM

Ravens.com reporter Ryan Mink believes Justin Forsett will open training camp as "the clear lead dog" in Baltimore's backfield.
Forsett was on pace for another 1,000-yard campaign last season before a broken arm sent him to injured reserve. The Ravens may have drafted Forsett's replacement in fourth-rounder Kenneth Dixon, but he'll have to work his way up the depth chart. Buck Allen showed decent receiving chops as a rookie (45 catches for 353 yards and two touchdowns), and will spell Forsett on at least some passing downs. It's a tough backfield to predict.

Source: ravens.com 
Jul 12 - 2:15 PM

Wouldn't definitely say he isn't clear lead dog.  Situation to avoid unless in keeper or deeper league then take a run at Dixon

Justin Forsett expects to get the majority of carries this season.
The Ravens project as a committee this year, with Buck Allen spelling Forsett on pass downs. Forsett is entering his age-31 season and coming off an injury-shortened 2015, but says he still thinks he can be a 200 carry, 1,000-yard rusher. Baltimore's running back situation is a training camp storyline worth monitoring.

Source: CSN Mid-Atlantic

Ravens released RB Justin Forsett.

Some called the idea crazy, but it's not surprising for a half-rebuilding team with three intriguing young backs in Terrance West, Kenneth Dixon and Buck Allen. Forsett still has something to offer as a change-of-pace back who catches passes, but was miscast as a starter following his flukish 2014. It shouldn't take him long to find a new home, but the 1.5-year chairmanship of the career committee member's footballing is through.

Related: Ravens

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Sep 3 - 4:01 PM

Ravens released RB Justin Forsett.
Wow - I didn't see that coming.

Glad I passed on trade offers for him in my Dynasty leagues, as it was always for something outrageous like a 2017 1st. Doubt his owners were expecting this either.

Choosing to roll the dice with his landing spot in a redraft over trying to get West. 

I'm probably wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - I didn't see that coming.

Glad I passed on trade offers for him in my Dynasty leagues, as it was always for something outrageous like a 2017 1st. Doubt his owners were expecting this either.
Nor did I see it coming.  I think this will be Dixon's job once he is recovered, but even with Forsett out of the picture, the Ravens' backfield is murky.  At the outset of the season, until Dixon's return, it is down to West and Allen.  I guess of the two, even in PPR, I would probably rather start West, but despite early rave reviews in camp, West didn't exactly light it up in preseason action.  I don't think I would get too crazy trying to acquire West.

Nor did I see it coming.  I think this will be Dixon's job once he is recovered, but even with Forsett out of the picture, the Ravens' backfield is murky.  At the outset of the season, until Dixon's return, it is down to West and Allen.  I guess of the two, even in PPR, I would probably rather start West, but despite early rave reviews in camp, West didn't exactly light it up in preseason action.  I don't think I would get too crazy trying to acquire West.
West is not RB1 material. So either the Ravens think West and Allen can hold down the spot until Dixon eventually takes over, or Forsett will resign at a lower amount. Now that they only have two healthy RBs on the roster, the plan was probably to waive and resign Forsett to save money. The risk is low that another team would pick him up. 

West is not RB1 material. So either the Ravens think West and Allen can hold down the spot until Dixon eventually takes over, or Forsett will resign at a lower amount. Now that they only have two healthy RBs on the roster, the plan was probably to waive and resign Forsett to save money. The risk is low that another team would pick him up. 
You know who was not RB1 material?  Justin Forsett.   Until he was.   I like Dixon, I really do.  But the notion that Dixon, a 5th round pick, is guaranteed the job as soon as he's healthy is a little optimistic.  The Ravens have what would seem to be a pretty favorable schedule against the run to start off the year.  If West plays as well as has in the preseason, he's not going to just get benched.   Dixon is not an ascendant talent, but maybe and you could argue probably, is the most talented back they have.   Unfortunately for him he is injured for at least 1/4 (or 30% of FF regular season) and will have to jump the depth chart in a committee to start.  So what you have for redraft purposes is a guy who will miss 30% of the year at least, and will probably spend a few more in a timeshare, assuming he does have the talent to ascend the depth chart in short order. 

You know who was not RB1 material?  Justin Forsett.   Until he was.   I like Dixon, I really do.  But the notion that Dixon, a 5th round pick, is guaranteed the job as soon as he's healthy is a little optimistic.  The Ravens have what would seem to be a pretty favorable schedule against the run to start off the year.  If West plays as well as has in the preseason, he's not going to just get benched.   Dixon is not an ascendant talent, but maybe and you could argue probably, is the most talented back they have.   Unfortunately for him he is injured for at least 1/4 (or 30% of FF regular season) and will have to jump the depth chart in a committee to start.  So what you have for redraft purposes is a guy who will miss 30% of the year at least, and will probably spend a few more in a timeshare, assuming he does have the talent to ascend the depth chart in short order. 
I was just about to post but thanks for saving me the time.

Minor, but he was a 4th rounder. Some, like Matt Waldman, had him ranked as the #2 back in the class ahead of Henry. His game film looks amazing from college and he looked electric when he ran with the first team in game 3 before the knee injury. If he is ultimately the reason they released Forsett, then I'd be buying 100%.

Minor, but he was a 4th rounder. Some, like Matt Waldman, had him ranked as the #2 back in the class ahead of Henry. His game film looks amazing from college and he looked electric when he ran with the first team in game 3 before the knee injury. If he is ultimately the reason they released Forsett, then I'd be buying 100%.
I was working from memory but you are correct 4th round, pick 36. Pretty much a 5th.

I respect Waldman and have drafted Dixon in a few rookie drafts and in redraft, but he's likely already wrong about him being the #2 back in this class.  As electric as he may have looked, he was running behind West and West was plenty productive with his touches as well.   He's a small school player, with little draft equity that has proven nothing.  I'm not trying to rip apart Dixon here, but I think it's foolish to count on him being fantasy relevant the first half of the year or to assume the reason they cut Forsett is because the job is his in waiting.  

Realistically, if Dixon is good there are probably about 4-5 games of utility in the fantasy regular season.  He better be really good for the payoff to be worth hamstringing your lineup with a guy you can't use for a good chunk of the year.  

I was working from memory but you are correct 4th round, pick 36. Pretty much a 5th.

I respect Waldman and have drafted Dixon in a few rookie drafts and in redraft, but he's likely already wrong about him being the #2 back in this class.  As electric as he may have looked, he was running behind West and West was plenty productive with his touches as well.   He's a small school player, with little draft equity that has proven nothing.  I'm not trying to rip apart Dixon here, but I think it's foolish to count on him being fantasy relevant the first half of the year or to assume the reason they cut Forsett is because the job is his in waiting.  

Realistically, if Dixon is good there are probably about 4-5 games of utility in the fantasy regular season.  He better be really good for the payoff to be worth hamstringing your lineup with a guy you can't use for a good chunk of the year.  
That's fair for redraft, I only play 1 redraft league a year. In dynasty, I think Dixon is definitely the guy to own. He's gotten glowing reviews from Harbaugh and actually in game 3 before the injury, he was the first one subbed in for Forsett. I also think he's the most similar to Forsett in terms of skill set on the roster.

ESPN's Jamison Hensley said "no one should be surprised" if free agent RB Justin Forsett re-signs with the Ravens this week.
Forsett was a surprise cut Saturday, but it is possible it was only a short-term move. Considering Buck Allen, Terrance West, and Kenneth Dixon would all be subjected to waivers if cut, Forsett could have been the running back the Ravens were most confident in getting back after making some roster moves early this week. They could also choose to bring him back if he is still available after veteran contracts guarantee Week 1. West and Allen look like they will form a committee right now, but the depth chart is still fluid.

Source: ESPN 
Sep 3 - 5:18 PM

That's fair for redraft, I only play 1 redraft league a year. In dynasty, I think Dixon is definitely the guy to own. He's gotten glowing reviews from Harbaugh and actually in game 3 before the injury, he was the first one subbed in for Forsett. I also think he's the most similar to Forsett in terms of skill set on the roster.
Where I own him in dynasty I could be looking to sell if he's able to grab the job.  Unless he is a stud I don't want to risk the Ravens grabbing drafting a rb and killing his value.  

Yeah, I get what you are saying about the missed time, but the fact that this missed time is at the beginning of the season makes it more palatable.  There are no bye weeks to contend with, and if your remaining RBs can avoid early-season injuries, it may not be so difficult to survive those early absences.  I rank Dixon a bit higher than you, but I still agree he is no lock to be the starter.  The opportunity is in front of West (and Allen) to earn their role in the offense.  I actually like both of them, and they could each have a role once Dixon returns.  As I say, the whole situation is murky still.

Yeah, I get what you are saying about the missed time, but the fact that this missed time is at the beginning of the season makes it more palatable.  There are no bye weeks to contend with, and if your remaining RBs can avoid early-season injuries, it may not be so difficult to survive those early absences.  I rank Dixon a bit higher than you, but I still agree he is no lock to be the starter.  The opportunity is in front of West (and Allen) to earn their role in the offense.  I actually like both of them, and they could each have a role once Dixon returns.  As I say, the whole situation is murky still.
I actually didn't consider the bye, which is week 8 for BAL another game that you can't use him.  While not an impossibility, I think the odds are long of him having any fantasy usage until week 9, earliest.  Perhaps the best thing for his prospects this year is if they are lousy and go into bye week with the purpose of feeding the rookie.   I actually think the Ravens will be pretty good this year and the schedule sets up nicely for them on paper.   We'll see it how it shakes out.

I actually didn't consider the bye, which is week 8 for BAL another game that you can't use him.  While not an impossibility, I think the odds are long of him having any fantasy usage until week 9, earliest.  Perhaps the best thing for his prospects this year is if they are lousy and go into bye week with the purpose of feeding the rookie.   I actually think the Ravens will be pretty good this year and the schedule sets up nicely for them on paper.   We'll see it how it shakes out.
Hey, tone, have your ears been burning?  Willie is at it again claiming us both posting in this thread proves we are the same person.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/746807-mods-please-delete-the-willies-band-names-thread-and-ban-the-following-members/?page=13#comment-19373513

You both just posted in the Forsett thread.  Same general idea. One after the other. You do it all the time. IT'S BEEN CONFIRMED.   Again, nobody cares that you have the alias but when you converse with it, when you use it to bolster your position on a fantasy football message board thread, when you go out of your way to throw off the scent with posts like the quoted above, that's completely pathetic. 
Sorry for the thread hijack people.

Please return to the regularly scheduled discussion of Forsette.

Hey, tone, have your ears been burning?  Willie is at it again claiming us both posting in this thread proves we are the same person.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/746807-mods-please-delete-the-willies-band-names-thread-and-ban-the-following-members/?page=13#comment-19373513

Sorry for the thread hijack people.

Please return to the regularly scheduled discussion of Forsette.
Willie is a clown that is obsessed with me for some reason.  I haven't even addressed him since June and he is still obsessed. 

ESPN's Jamison Hensley said "no one should be surprised" if free agent RB Justin Forsett re-signs with the Ravens this week.
What everyone's feeling on this?

And if he doesn't re-sign with the Ravens, where do you think he will land? Tick mentioned Washington, see some speculation on Twitter about the Giants (although that is already a crowded backfield). Maybe Miami needs some depth behind Foster and Ajayi?

Indy should look at him, and a number of other rbs, but hasn't seemed to get the idea that other than gore they have nothing, no matter how much the coach wants to say ferguson is a mismatch nightmare.

Definitely didnt see this coming, cant say Im shocked due to the crowded backfield, but I had a feeling Forsett would be the guy to at least get majority touches to start the season. First time Ive ever picked a player cut before the season started. 

At this point, I will probably just hold him and see if he lands in a nice spot. The closest thing to an easy drop on my bench was probably Martellus Bennett who Id like to hold for at least the first 6 weeks, so Im actually kind of glad that I now have an easy week 1 or 2 cut in Forsett if thats how the cookie crumbles.

Pro Football Talk reports free agent RB Justin Forsett is "likely" to re-sign with the Ravens.
There has been constant buzz Forsett would return to Baltimore after being cut Saturday, but this is the first report which categorized a return as probable. This is more a question of when than if at this point. Terrance West and Buck Allen are still quality waiver adds, but their upside will be stunted by Forsett's return.

Source: Pro Football Talk 
Sep 4 - 11:59 AM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports it's "definitely possible" the Ravens re-sign free agent Justin Forsett.

It's similar to what ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley reported Saturday, but it's worth mentioning again in case it got lost in the news shuffle. The Ravens are clearly interested in re-signing Forsett and may have only cut him because he was the lone running back on the team that wasn't subject to waivers. Forsett is likely fielding other calls from teams, but as long as he didn't feel disrespected by being cut, it sounds like he could be back in Baltimore soon.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Sep 4 - 11:20 AM

Baltimore Sun's Jeff Zrebiec believes Justin Forsett will have a "significant" Week 1 role.
It has become all but a formality that Forsett will be re-signed early this week, and it looks like he will return to something resembling a No. 1 role. That said, the Ravens were always expected to use a heavy committee, and that seems especially true after they were willing to risk putting Forsett on the street for a couple days. With Forsett, Terrance West, and Buck Allen likely to get looks, all three are risky FLEX plays at best Week 1.

Source: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 
Sep 4 - 9:26 PM

Even the Ravens aren't listing West as RB1 on the depth chart. They still list Forsett at RB1 even though he's not been resigned yet: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/depth-chart-2016.html

Allen is RB2. West is RB3. 

Even the Ravens aren't listing West as RB1 on the depth chart. They still list Forsett at RB1 even though he's not been resigned yet: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/depth-chart-2016.html

Allen is RB2. West is RB3. 
...and it says right at the top.   AS OF AUG 29th.    Forsett was cut on SEPT 3.

So West outplays Forsett in the preseason, Forsett gets cut....now he will resign for less money and play in front of the player that outplayed him.  Sounds believable.

I see a noticeable absence of the "I got West in the 37th round" posts. Those were entertaining. What a lot of West owners might not realize is, while he has talent, his level of Dickness will overcome it , and he will be a WW candidate once Dixon comes back.

Forsett is available on my 1pt PPR WW and I have Yeldon, Duke johnson & Riddick on my RB depth. Leave well enough alone or swap someone out?

ETA Crowell also. Dodds has all but johnson within a handful of spots of one another

Users who are viewing this thread