What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Holmes getting ready to retire? (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
According to this article, some feel Holmes is getting ready to retire rather than getting ready for the NFL. We don't know for sure but if he does I will be 1 of many that will miss his play. Not taking anything away from LJ but watching Holmes has always been fun.

As for retiring, I agree he should. The risk in his case are not worth it IMO.

Even when he was in Balt I wondered why he wasn't the starter. I thought there must be something that we don't know about keeping him off the field. But I guess maybe Balt was wrong about Holmes. Turns out he was a pretty good RB afterall.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/footbal...st.d627130.html

Holmes may consider retirement

Web Posted: 02/28/2006 12:00 AM CST

Tom Orsborn

San Antonio Express-News

While family and friends say they are unsure whether Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes will retire, they acknowledge his actions of late aren't in keeping with what he usually does to prepare for the season.

advertisement

"He hasn't been carrying on as if he was going to play," Holmes' stepfather, Herman Morris, said. "Normally, he would be in the gym working out and have a routine going on. Right now, he seems to be laid back and relaxed and not wanting to think about it."

Holmes' NFL career, one of the greatest forged by a San Antonian, was jeopardized by a helmet-to-helmet collision Oct.30 in San Diego. Diagnosed with head and neck trauma, Holmes' season ended 10 days later when the Chiefs placed him on injured reserve.

Since then, the former Marshall High standout and University of Texas alumnus has undergone several examinations to determine if he is neurologically fit to play a ninth NFL season. Last week, he met with physician Robert Watkins, a Los Angeles-based spine surgeon.

A spokesperson for Holmes' agent, Todd France, said Monday that France and the Chiefs are awaiting a report from Watkins.

Holmes could not be reached for comment. Morris said he's been getting "mixed signals" from Holmes regarding his future.

"It has been difficult for him," Morris said of Holmes. "He still has the desire to play. But he wants to weigh all of his options and make sure the final decision he makes is the final decision."

Holmes, who graduated from Marshall in 1992, signed a four-year extension with the Chiefs before the 2003 season. The deal could pay him as much as $28million through the 2009 season. Terms included $8.5million in signing bonuses.

Holmes, 32, is a three-time Pro Bowler who has rushed for 1,000 yards or more four times. He ranks first in Chiefs history with 5,933 rushing yards, and the 66 touchdowns he scored from 2002-04 are a league record for a three-year period.

But injuries forced him to miss 17 games the past two seasons. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards already has named fourth-year player Larry Johnson the starter next season, an expected move considering Johnson, 25, rushed for 1,750 yards and 20 TDs last season.

Morris said Holmes and Johnson enjoy a warm relationship.

"(Holmes) made the comment he was really happy, in a way, that he didn't have to think about preparing for games and stuff as a starting running back," Morris said. "He was happy for Larry that he stepped up and did an outstanding job."

Edwards said Holmes indicated last month he is prepared to continue playing.

"It seemed like he wanted to come back," the Kansas City Star quoted Edwards as saying. "Hopefully, he's going to be cleared, and hopefully, he wants to come back."

Holmes typically spends February working out in San Antonio in preparation for grueling conditioning sessions with personal trainer Bremond "Bay Bay" McClinton.

"He always did his own thing before he came to me in March or April," McClinton said. "He always told me he would rather go get his body and mind right before he sees me because my workouts are so intense."

But instead of lifting weights and running sprints, Holmes has spent much of the offseason "taking care of other priorities," Morris said.

"He's spending a lot of time with his four kids," Morris said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

torsborn@express-news.net

Express-News staff writer David Flores contributed to this story

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone seems to be saying it's about 50-50. I would imagine he would come back in some kind of Bettis role, vulturing off LJ's TD's. I picked him up really cheap in a keeper IDP leauge. Traded Donnie Edwards for him. Way I see it, if he comes back he should have some pretty good value to the LJ owners.

According to this article, some feel Holmes is getting ready to retire rather than getting ready for the NFL. We don't know for sure but if he does I will be 1 of many that will miss his play. Not taking anything away from LJ but watching Holmes has always been fun.

Even when he was in Balt I wondered why he wasn't the starter. I thought there must be something that we don't know about keeping him off the field. But I guess maybe Balt was wrong about Holmes. Turns out he was a pretty good RB afterall.

But injuries forced him to miss 17 games the past two seasons. Chiefs coach Herm Edwards already has named fourth-year player Larry Johnson the starter next season, an expected move considering Johnson, 25, rushed for 1,750 yards and 20 TDs last season.
Isn't LJ 27?player profile

Last edited by a moderator:
If Holmes decide to come back I'm trading him before he changes his mind or get hurt again.

I would imagine he would come back in some kind of Bettis role, vulturing off LJ's TD's.
LJ is fine around the goal line, probably better than Holmes.
Yeah I'm not disputing that LJ is fantastic around the goal line. But if Priest comes back you would still need to give him some carries, even now he is still a great RB. I guess what I am saying is that don't be surprised if LJ's TD's drop a bit next year because a fresh Preist is coming in off the bench to pound it in.

I would imagine he would come back in some kind of Bettis role, vulturing off LJ's TD's.
LJ is fine around the goal line, probably better than Holmes.
Yeah I'm not disputing that LJ is fantastic around the goal line. But if Priest comes back you would still need to give him some carries, even now he is still a great RB. I guess what I am saying is that don't be surprised if LJ's TD's drop a bit next year because a fresh Preist is coming in off the bench to pound it in.
I think he's toast.

Isn't LJ 27?player profile
Neither. Right now he is 26. He was 25 when took over, turned 26 in Nov and will be 27 this Nov.Not sure what difference it makes however.

Yes he is.

I didn't even need to read your post to tell you that! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread