What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IS it an apples to apples comparison when... (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
You compare a player against another and player A played the team last week and player B plays them this week?

For instance, If TRICH looks inept against the Seahawks this week, is that a fair indicator in comparison to Foster, who played them last week and did well?

You compare a player against another and player A played the team last week and player B plays them this week?

For instance, If TRICH looks inept against the Seahawks this week, is that a fair indicator in comparison to Foster, who played them last week and did well?
Yes and No and it depends what you're trying to figure out. You have so many factors to look into if you're just trying to say 'which guy is better' which I'm assuming you're in an argument with a friend about. How good their offensive line is, how many carries they got, maybe one just had a really good game, or one really big run, whether they were winning big or losing, etc.

It's probably the best indicator you can use, but you can't really determine a 'who is better' argument based on one game vs a common defense. If you're going to, then make sure you at least look at YPC and not total production.

I think in theory maybe yes, but too many factors really. In your example we need to consider:

Game situation (Houston were ahead big last week and used Foster way more than he had been used to that point to salt away the remaining clock)

Respective run blocking, Houston have a great run blocking line, I do not think Indy do

Offensive line play on the day of the game

Human performance variances from one week to the next (Seattle did win but clearly were not at their best for much of the game, maybe they "show up" this week?).

I think just too many variances on game day to make a definitive statement.

It seems like a fair indicator. But only one of many.

And at the same time, it is perfectly reasonable for a person to not think it has any real value in terms of determining a players value. Player evaluation is subjective and what one person chooses to use as an indicator of performance will invariably be different than what another person uses. Obviously there are no hard rules and obviously there are situations where every one of them is flawed.

ETA - here is a good example where the case you are using is flawed.

Week 1 - Brady against Buffalo 29/52 for 288 with 2/1

Week 3 - Smith against Buffalo 16/29 for 331 with 2/2

Not many people would put Geno Smith in the same category with Tom Brady (not even this year where Brady has lesser value than in past years) but the numbers that they put up against the same team would indicate that he is as good or better. I am sure there are dozens of similar scenarios even in this young season that would show where though this can be an indicator it can also be a terribly flawed one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses.

This had nothing to do with a trade or anything at all. It was honestly, just as asked. I just got to thinking about it from the perspective of TRICH, who has been on two different teams this year and the team actually seems better without him than with him, and then, since he gets to play against the Hawks vaunted defense, as an indicator of his talent and ability vs. Gore and Foster and the others who have or will play the Hawks this year.

I don't own TRICH in any league and am not buying. Just generally curious if this guy is the real deal or not. Looking at ways to try to see what he is.

Users who are viewing this thread