What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

is it time to ban smoking and tobacco products ? (1 Viewer)

ban tobacco products

• yes

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • no

Votes: 36 80.0%

• Total voters
Why is it more complicated? Unless there's legit medical reasons for obesity, but I'm not talking about the rare reasons. We can exclude those for the sake of this discussion. 

I'm talking individuals that overeat, never exercise, lazy if you will. Poor diet choices etc. Don't tell me we need more education on healthy eating either. Like smoking, everyone by the age of 14, should know eating McDonald's 4 times a week is unhealthy. 

I'll let a Dr determine what is obese. They can report it to insurance.
Because tobacco is one product directly linked to the health problems it causes. Obesity it multifactorial, with a strong genetic component:

It is clear that obesity often tracks in families. Having obese relatives increases one’s risk for obesity, even if the family members do not live together or share the same patterns of exercise and food intake (5–7). Family studies and twin studies yield estimates of the fraction of the variation in the population that can be attributed to inherited variation, or the heritability (h2) (8). Estimates of heritability range from 30 to 70%, with the typical estimate at 50%, meaning about one-half of the variation in body mass within a population is a result of inherited factors 
And you can look no further than this forum to discover people have no clue what constitutes obese. Anytime BMI is mentioned, there’s nothing but hemming and hawing about how it doesn’t apply.

You can fill your shopping cart at the store with stuff labeled 'Healthy Choice', 'Heart Smart', 'All Natural', Multigrain, and be shoving sugar and preservatives and emulsifiers down your kids throat.  

Other countries are not led around by the nose by the food industry, and miraculously don't have as bad as a problem.  

Obesity is a national problem for sure, but it's really a problem in poorer communities.  

That is just the solution, isn't it? Higher insurance premiums (which everyone agrees are too low as it is) for the poor.  What a great idea. A bigger financial burden is exactly what trailer park moms need to start air-frying veggies.  

Make it so that sugar/high fructose corn syrup isn't so easy to be stuffed into different foods, and you'll see a much bigger impact than making in harder to insure your family.  
Smokers pay a premium on insurance due to their choice. Poor people smoke, but nobody has a problem with raising prices for them. That same "trailer park mom" will find a way to smoke. Probably at the expense of her kids.

Or! How about this. We leave people the xxxx alone and stop try to tax away the bad things we don't like.

I'm good with your last paragraph.

Smokers pay a premium on insurance due to their choice. Poor people smoke, but nobody has a problem with raising prices for them. That same "trailer park mom" will find a way to smoke. Probably at the expense of her kids.

Or! How about this. We leave people the xxxx alone and stop try to tax away the bad things we don't like.

I'm good with your last paragraph.
We didn't let the tobacco companies put MULTIVITAMIN on their packages.  

That's the difference.  

Food is packaged as healthy in this country that is not, so to punish people who fell for the scam, endorsed by their elected officials for decades, seems well, not very productive.  Attack the problem, not the symptom.  

You can fill your shopping cart at the store with stuff labeled 'Healthy Choice', 'Heart Smart', 'All Natural', Multigrain, and be shoving sugar and preservatives and emulsifiers down your kids throat.  

Other countries are not led around by the nose by the food industry, and miraculously don't have as bad as a problem.  

Obesity is a national problem for sure, but it's really a problem in poorer communities.  

That is just the solution, isn't it? Higher insurance premiums (which everyone agrees are too low as it is) for the poor.  What a great idea. A bigger financial burden is exactly what trailer park moms need to start air-frying veggies.  

Make it so that sugar/high fructose corn syrup isn't so easy to be stuffed into different foods, and you'll see a much bigger impact than making in harder to insure your family.  
Start by removing subsidies to the sugar, corn, meat and dairy industries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because tobacco is one product directly linked to the health problems it causes. Obesity it multifactorial, with a strong genetic component:

And you can look no further than this forum to discover people have no clue what constitutes obese. Anytime BMI is mentioned, there’s nothing but hemming and hawing about how it doesn’t apply.
This to me is the biggest take away from your link: "Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the United States and developing countries. Although the trend of decreased physical activity and increased caloric intake is probably responsible for the recent rise in obesity".

Fixing the above would be a huge start. Obesity is directly linked to health problems also. 

Clone Dikembe Mutombo and station him in every supermarket.

Then society would certainly be better off, but there would be a very vocal minority that would dislike losing their mind altering substances and addictive behaviors.
And we would probably have to pay much higher taxes to make up for it.

We didn't let the tobacco companies put MULTIVITAMIN on their packages.  

That's the difference.  

Food is packaged as healthy in this country that is not, so to punish people who fell for the scam, endorsed by their elected officials for decades, seems well, not very productive.  Attack the problem, not the symptom.  
Well, my advice would be to pay better attention to the packaging/ingredients if people really cared about what they were ingesting. 

Is there at any point the consumer is responsible in your scenario? 

Generally, people who smoke do not even want to smoke. They only smoke because the nicotine does not let them quit. Maybe a better way to go about this is to prevent teens/young adults from ever taking up the habit to begin with.

A good place to start would be to make the vape products by prescription only. Many kids are going to get hooked on vaping.

https://www.fda.gov/tobacco-products/health-information/quitting-smoking-closer-every-attempt

According to a 2015 survey, about 70 percent of current adult smokers in the United States wanted to quit, and although about 55 percent had attempted to do so in the past year, only 7 percent were successful in quitting for 6-12 months.

Well, my advice would be to pay better attention to the packaging/ingredients if people really cared about what they were ingesting. 

As a consumer it is difficult.

For example I bought some lower sugar instant oatmeal recently and had to throw it all out. For one it is only slightly less sugar than original, but it has "Monk Fruit Extract" aka  sweeteners and I do not eat any sweeteners as there are many conflicting studies regarding them. Lots of low sugar foods like to add artificial sweeteners, or in some cases they make up for that loss in flavor by adding more salt.

Cutting back on salt is even more difficult than sugar. Many low sodium foods are only 20-25% less salt and the problem is the base food has an incredible amount of salt.

I am not overweight in the slightest and my concern is more for long term heart health, but I do understand the struggle that overweight people face when shopping for healthy foods.

crackattack said:

Yeah, when the companies are no longer allowed, by the government, to lie to people.

Someone can advertise 'natural ingredients' on their label.  That sounds harmless, at worst.  It is actually not, and the standard to call something natural is laughable.  

How is an American consumer going to investigate/research/pay attention to what natural ingredients are in different foods, can you explain how that works? You can tell me the difference between 'natural ingredients' in one food item vs. another?

FairWarning said:
Shouldn’t you have the right to protect yourself?   If we banned guns tomorrow, I would bet these murderers will always find a way to accessing them.
While you’re probably correct about the murderers, It’s been shown repeatedly than gun ownership increases one’s risk of dying.

Yeah, when the companies are no longer allowed, by the government, to lie to people.

Someone can advertise 'natural ingredients' on their label.  That sounds harmless, at worst.  It is actually not, and the standard to call something natural is laughable.  

How is an American consumer going to investigate/research/pay attention to what natural ingredients are in different foods, can you explain how that works? You can tell me the difference between 'natural ingredients' in one food item vs. another?
You and @MTskibum have valid points. It's difficult to distinguish natural ingredients. I'm sure I couldn't very easily either. But as a consumer I already know certain things. I know most canned foods are high in salt. Same as refrigerated items. I also very rarely salt my food. I pay attention to calories per serving on something labeled "healthy". I hate most junk food and soda. So I avoid those almost exclusively. I know certain breads are unhealthy, especially white bread. I buy fresh whenever possible, which I know is tough for poorer individuals. 

You guys have fair points. But I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to eat healthy. Buy things with less chemical compounds or things most people can't pronounce. If you can't, watch your calories and try to exercise. Stop buying nonessential items that are grossly unhealthy.

crackattack said:
This to me is the biggest take away from your link: "Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in the United States and developing countries. Although the trend of decreased physical activity and increased caloric intake is probably responsible for the recent rise in obesity".

Fixing the above would be a huge start. Obesity is directly linked to health problems also. 
Believe me, I’m all for tackling obesity. But smoking is a much lower hanging fruit.

You and @MTskibum have valid points. It's difficult to distinguish natural ingredients. I'm sure I couldn't very easily either. But as a consumer I already know certain things. I know most canned foods are high in salt. Same as refrigerated items. I also very rarely salt my food. I pay attention to calories per serving on something labeled "healthy". I hate most junk food and soda. So I avoid those almost exclusively. I know certain breads are unhealthy, especially white bread. I buy fresh whenever possible, which I know is tough for poorer individuals. 

You guys have fair points. But I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to eat healthy. Buy things with less chemical compounds or things most people can't pronounce. If you can't, watch your calories and try to exercise. Stop buying nonessential items that are grossly unhealthy.
I think you’re overestimating how savvy many consumers are. Believe me, I gave a nutrition lecture to inner city kids, and they were pretty clueless. And while many popular diets can help one lose weight, they arguably still aren’t healthy.

Of course, but my point is, guns don’t increase safety for most people. Quite the opposite actually.
There is literally no way to quantify this statement.  You have no idea how many times a crime was avoided because someone had a gun it it was known they had a gun or it was found out they had a gun.

There is literally no way to quantify this statement.  You have no idea how many times a crime was avoided because someone had a gun it it was known they had a gun or it was found out they had a gun.
I agree it is tricky to estimate. But we know violent crime rates in areas with and without strict gun control, and those rates based on per capita gun ownership. We also know the risk of gun-related death as it relates to gun control legislation.

Plus, you have no idea how often a crime was promoted by widespread gun availability.

More importantly, we know the risk of death for gun-owners versus non-owners. Regardless of how much crime they’re preventing, they have a greater risk of death, period.

I agree it is tricky to estimate. But we know violent crime rates in areas with and without strict gun control, and those rates based on per capita gun ownership. We also know the risk of gun-related death as it relates to gun control legislation.

Plus, you have no idea how often a crime was promoted by widespread gun availability.

More importantly, we know the risk of death for gun-owners versus non-owners. Regardless of how much crime they’re preventing, they have a greater risk of death, period.
You're right.  I don't know sentence #2, so I don't throw out baseless allegations based on that lack of data.  

And unfortunately you doubled down on your statement, which is not based in any fact that can be measured.  Just cause you want to believe it to be so, doesn't make it so.

You're right.  I don't know sentence #2, so I don't throw out baseless allegations based on that lack of data.  

And unfortunately you doubled down on your statement, which is not based in any fact that can be measured.  Just cause you want to believe it to be so, doesn't make it so.
The original statement was “don't people have a right to protect themselves?” wrt gun ownership. As we both agree it’s problematic to conclusively prove how many crimes guns avert (or promote), let’s just stick to a more concrete outcome: death.

Unless you think dying is protective, there is no debate that gun owners, as a group, are less safe than those who lack firearms in their homes.

That’s not to say guns can’t be used for protection. But for the average owner, the risk exceeds the benefit.

Anyhoo, the OP isn’t about gun control. What do you think about a ban on tobacco products?

crackattack said:
3. Since we're talking "sin taxes". Let's raise the price of all "junk foods". Chips, soda, fast food, etc. 

Agree with this.
My only question is who gets to make the determination what falls in to the “sin” bucket?  I’m much more libertarian on this issue.  Let folks eat and drink and smoke what they like.  Don’t allow advertising to target young kids.  If someone chooses to eat horribly or drink or smoke - that’s their decision.  We should stay out of peoples pantries the same way we do their bedrooms (not a perfect analogy but the point is the same).  And yes, I realize there’s HC cost implications- I just don’t care about that as I’m not looking to be everybody’s nanny or health police - as long as their choices don’t impact others.

The original statement was “don't people have a right to protect themselves?” wrt gun ownership. As we both agree it’s problematic to conclusively prove how many crimes guns avert (or promote), let’s just stick to a more concrete outcome: death.

Unless you think dying is protective, there is no debate that gun owners, as a group, are less safe than those who lack firearms in their homes.

That’s not to say guns can’t be used for protection. But for the average owner, the risk exceeds the benefit.

Anyhoo, the OP isn’t about gun control. What do you think about a ban on tobacco products?
There is a debate.  You keep coming back to this.  You have zero data to back up what you're saying.  Because you can't quantify it.  Repeating the same line over and over, just like believing something with all your heart, doesn't automatically make it true. 

My only question is who gets to make the determination what falls in to the “sin” bucket?  I’m much more libertarian on this issue.  Let folks eat and drink and smoke what they like.  Don’t allow advertising to target young kids.  If someone chooses to eat horribly or drink or smoke - that’s their decision. 
But they are making the decision based on lies, misinformation, or sins of omission.  Same way people didn't know 60 years ago what was in their cigarettes. 

When they knew, millions were already hooked on them, biologically addicted.  

This all applies to our food industry,which is actively supported by our government.  They lie, they mislabel, they insist on sugar being measured in grams on labels, because they know doing it in teaspoons is much, much worse.  They lobby to have things designated natural in such a broad manner that they can label anything natural, if they throw a bot of root or bark into it.  

What you are saying I agree with, but we aren't starting from a clean slate, we have decades of lying and misinfo that has already damaged people, and if people want to make an informed decision, it is very difficult to get all the info, and fight through the tangled web the FDA has allowed these companies to get away with.  

Yes, eat whatever you want, stay out of my life, I'll stay out of yours.  But if you don't know what you are eating, which is just the way they like it, that's my issue.  

In the abstract it works, but we need to fix a lot of stuff to get to a clean slate.  

There is a debate.  You keep coming back to this.  You have zero data to back up what you're saying.  Because you can't quantify it.  Repeating the same line over and over, just like believing something with all your heart, doesn't automatically make it true. 
I prefer using my brain to answer questions. Here’s one analysis of multiple gun safety studies :

We performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of all studies that compared the odds of suicide or homicide victimization between persons with and without reported firearm access. All but 1 of the 16 studies identified in this review reported significantly increased odds of death associated with firearm access. We found strong evidence for increased odds of suicide among persons with access to firearms compared with those without access (OR, 3.24 [CI, 2.41 to 4.40]) and moderate evidence for an attenuated increased odds of homicide victimization when persons with and without access to firearms were compared (OR, 2.00 [CI, 1.56 to 3.02]).
In layspeak, gun access doubles one’s risk of death by homicide, and more than triples risk of suicide. 

I suppose you may debate the meaning of “protect”, but I think being alive is a fairly critical component of safety.

For comparison purposes, having access to a gun increases your risk of death comparable to the risk incurred by a 40-45 year-old smoker vs. non smoker.

I prefer using my brain to answer questions. Here’s one analysis of multiple gun safety studies :

In layspeak, gun access doubles one’s risk of death by homicide, and more than triples risk of suicide. 

I suppose you may debate the meaning of “protect”, but I think being alive is a fairly critical component of safety.

For comparison purposes, having access to a gun increases your risk of death comparable to the risk incurred by a 40-45 year-old smoker vs. non smoker.
Am I seeing this back and forth correctly that you guys haven't even factored in accidental shooting that resulted in injury instead of death.?

Am I seeing this back and forth correctly that you guys haven't even factored in accidental shooting that resulted in injury instead of death.?
I also didn’t include accidental deaths and intentional non-fatal injuries, just to keep it simple. But you’re right, any discussion about the calculus of gun safety should include all harm they cause and prevent.

Other than proclaiming the protective benefit of firearms can’t be estimated and implying my stance is emotional, supermike really hasn’t factored much into his argument. 

I also didn’t include accidental deaths and intentional non-fatal injuries, just to keep it simple. But you’re right, any discussion about the calculus of gun safety should include all harm they cause and prevent.

Other than proclaiming the protective benefit of firearms can’t be estimated and implying my stance is emotional, supermike really hasn’t factored in much into his argument. 
Seems like there was similar back and forth in the gun thread, as there was a debate about good guys with guns vs. accidental shootings vs. chances of death within a house with a gun, etc.. 

Seems like there was similar back and forth in the gun thread, as there was a debate about good guys with guns vs. accidental shootings vs. chances of death within a house with a gun, etc.. 
I wasn't involved in that debate, but I've had the discussion before. Usually the good guys with gun crowd reference a headline or two where someone with a gun thwarts some criminals. It's often an ex-cop or military brandishing the weapon. Meanwhile, they ignore studies which show populations of gun owners tend to hurt or kill their loved ones much more often than bad guys, and areas with stricter gun control legislation typically have fewer gun deaths per capita.

They also dismiss suicides as pertinent to the discussion, cling to outlier urban centers as illustrative of failed gun regulation or insist on absolute interpretation of 2A - except the "well regulated militia" part.

I grew up with guns, and used to err on the side of supporting the second amendment. But the more I've read, the more I've realized how harmful our obsession with firearms is. 

But they are making the decision based on lies, misinformation, or sins of omission.  Same way people didn't know 60 years ago what was in their cigarettes. 

When they knew, millions were already hooked on them, biologically addicted.  

This all applies to our food industry,which is actively supported by our government.  They lie, they mislabel, they insist on sugar being measured in grams on labels, because they know doing it in teaspoons is much, much worse.  They lobby to have things designated natural in such a broad manner that they can label anything natural, if they throw a bot of root or bark into it.  

What you are saying I agree with, but we aren't starting from a clean slate, we have decades of lying and misinfo that has already damaged people, and if people want to make an informed decision, it is very difficult to get all the info, and fight through the tangled web the FDA has allowed these companies to get away with.  

Yes, eat whatever you want, stay out of my life, I'll stay out of yours.  But if you don't know what you are eating, which is just the way they like it, that's my issue.  

In the abstract it works, but we need to fix a lot of stuff to get to a clean slate.  
I’m fine with this - force companies to be upfront about what is in their products and the potential side effects.  No big issue there.  I would say that today more than ever that somebody who wants to be educated on these things can be - if they put in the effort.

I’m fine with this - force companies to be upfront about what is in their products and the potential side effects.  No big issue there.  I would say that today more than ever that somebody who wants to be educated on these things can be - if they put in the effort.
How about the feds not allowing junk food to be bought with food stamps?  

How about the feds not allowing junk food to be bought with food stamps?  
IF that happened, I think a bit more would have to be done about the price and access to healthier options in the poorer neighborhoods.  

In general I usually fall on the side of people get to choose what they eat.  There is a wide range of reasons somebody would be using food stamps.  

IF that happened, I think a bit more would have to be done about the price and access to healthier options in the poorer neighborhoods.  

In general I usually fall on the side of people get to choose what they eat.  There is a wide range of reasons somebody would be using food stamps.  
Yes, that would have to happen.  In the hood, the liquor stores are the grocery stores.  Jalapeño Cheetos and soda are the norm in food cards.   Of course, who would fight tooth and nail to keep them food stamp eligible?  PepsiCo, Coke, Mondelez (nabisco), etc.  

MTskibum said:
Generally, people who smoke do not even want to smoke.
100% false

they smoke because they choose to - don't pawn it off on anyone else. they knew when they started, they know when they do it - and they know they can stop

yes, its addictive, but many many have quit - they simply choose not to

so in conclusion

the 500,000 dead every year from smoking and the 50,000 dead from second have smoking and the dead from chewing tobacco ............

its ok - don't worry about those death, they're just collateral damage to having the freedom and liberties to use tobacco. 

got it

so in conclusion

the 500,000 dead every year from smoking and the 50,000 dead from second have smoking and the dead from chewing tobacco ............

its ok - don't worry about those death, they're just collateral damage to having the freedom and liberties to use tobacco. 

got it
I think the difference is I choose to smoke knowing the risk. I don't choose to get shot driving down the road, or going to a grocery store. These knuckleheads shooting up places and killing people are stripping their rights of living, and personal freedoms. 

America is violent. Times are different. If people can't handle those freedoms without infringing on others rights to life and liberty, then it's time to fix it.

I think the difference is I choose to smoke knowing the risk. I don't choose to get shot driving down the road, or going to a grocery store. These knuckleheads shooting up places and killing people are stripping their rights of living, and personal freedoms. 

America is violent. Times are different. If people can't handle those freedoms without infringing on others rights to life and liberty, then it's time to fix it.
dead is dead isn't it ?

50-70 million gun owners yesterday did nothing wrong - a few dozens did ................. if its time to fix anything shouldn't we focus on who the problem is ?  tobacco users are a problem - their addictions and choices lead to tens of thousands of second hand smoke death. Up until covid masks, cig butt's were the #1 pollutant in the ocean

there is literally no good that comes from it

isn't it time to fix that ??  if the one poster is right - smokers WANT to quit anyway - lets force them

Seriously the argument is polar opposite on the spectrum.  Most people see this i would assume

The war on drugs hasn't worked all that well in practice. (Neither did alcohol prohibition.) I think we should generally be removing items from the list of controlled substances, not adding to it. I'd rather legalize pot than criminalize tobacco.

Without creating a black market for cigarettes, I do think we can do various things to reduce the harm caused by tobacco products.

I'm among those who is against prohibition but has seen cigarettes cause death to close relatives and hates tobacco products. I'm also a heavy former smoker, so my risk is still elevated for lung cancer and other problems, but I'm grateful to have been smoke free for a bunch of years now. Prohibition, as Maurile says, leads to some unintended but foreseeable consequences like black markets. Policing methods, disruptions in the natural supply and distribution chain by government forces, and the punishment of noncompliance are some things to consider when we ask whether we should make things illegal. What sort of force is behind the law? As we can see quite readily, it is the threat of jail at its core, and we should not be criminalizing more offenses in our society. You can say that it will just be a traffic ticket, but what force behind the payment thereof of that fine?

Anyway, making things illegal should never be taken lightly. What we are prepared to give up in freedom should be at the forefront of our minds.

RIP Eric Garner.

interesting

saving 700-800,000 lives isn't worth the removal of tobacco from society

can anyone explain why ?
Because those people are choosing to engage in the behavior. I say this as somebody who thinks that drugs, while terrible, also shouldn't be illegal to consume. Same with high fructose corn syurp, etc. 

The above said, I take zero issues with those items being taxed more heavily, being limited in where they can be consumed (e.g. smoking in public places, schools providing HFCS drinks to minors, etc. where it is a situation where there may be others impacted who aren't consenting adults). 

Also, and I apologize to @Stealthycat for saying this and making assumptions, but I assume based on prior post by Stealthy that this post is designed to draw a parallel to gun regulation. I distinguish between the two because guns (or other weapons that can inflict deadly bodily harm) have the potential to negatively impact others. To be clear, I'm not advocating for the revocation of the 2nd amendment or to just ban guns/weapons altogether, but why I support reasonable and narrowly tailored restrictions on said ownership (e.g. ban of automatic weapons, ban of explosive devices, ban possession in certain areas, ban ownership after a felony/DV conviction, etc.). 

dead is dead isn't it ?

50-70 million gun owners yesterday did nothing wrong - a few dozens did ................. if its time to fix anything shouldn't we focus on who the problem is ?  tobacco users are a problem - their addictions and choices lead to tens of thousands of second hand smoke death. Up until covid masks, cig butt's were the #1 pollutant in the ocean

there is literally no good that comes from it

isn't it time to fix that ??  if the one poster is right - smokers WANT to quit anyway - lets force them
Where are you getting this?

Users who are viewing this thread