What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Jeff Wilson a league winner? (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
If reports are to be believed 49ers rb, Jeff Wilson is three, maybe four weeks away. My question is when he returns (assuming he does) what will his role be? Is it possible Wilson becomes the man in San Francisco and becomes a league winner or is it more likely he is part of a three headed committee where he returns little value?

I keep seeing his name on waiver wire lists, but I don't have a feel for what his actual role will be. Any thoughts? 

Probably worth a roster stash if you can swing it,  but I'm not banking on it unless Sermon, Mitchell and Hasty are all hurt. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have him stashed on IR in the hope that the rest of the RB room suffers an unfortunate welding accident and he becomes something other than the worse side of a RBBC flex play which we all know is his ceiling

I have him stashed on IR in the hope that the rest of the RB room suffers an unfortunate welding accident and he becomes something other than the worse side of a RBBC flex play which we all know is his ceiling
I'd stash but he isn't on IR in ESPN.

If healthy he seems like a better option to me than Sermon, Mitchell and Hasty but again I don't have a good read on the situation. 

Niners fan here:  yes, no, maybe. 

A lot will depend on what Sermon shows over the next couple of weeks. 

And also how Wilson looks when he comes back.

And whether Elijah Mitchell recovers quickly from his shoulder injury & what he shows.

IMO the Niners backfield Is going to be risky all year. Whomever is “the guy” in any given week will have FF value. 

In the short term, it’s a little easier since Sermon is last man standing. Long term notsomuch. 

Niners fan here:  yes, no, maybe. 

A lot will depend on what Sermon shows over the next couple of weeks. 

And also how Wilson looks when he comes back.

And whether Elijah Mitchell recovers quickly from his shoulder injury & what he shows.

IMO the Niners backfield Is going to be risky all year. Whomever is “the guy” in any given week will have FF value. 

In the short term, it’s a little easier since Sermon is last man standing. Long term notsomuch. 

Assuming health, do you think Wilson is the best player of the bunch? 

Wilson is the "Veteran" in the RB room and has earned Shanahans respect IMO.....He was given the keys to the backfield a few times last year.  If he is healthy I would assume he is at the top of the pecking order.  He is a decent passcatcher too.  He also seemed to be the red zone back.  I am thinking weekly RB2 with RB1 upside.

https://youtu.be/LmUL8AF16UM

Saboo said:
Assuming health, do you think Wilson is the best player of the bunch? 
No. I think when he was healthy last season he was the last man standing.

He’s kind of tall/lean for a RB at 6’, 213, but he makes good reads & runs hungry. One writer said he “runs like a 5 year old on Christmas morning” which I thought was appropriate. He’s a hard worker & proved capable as “next man up”, but I don’t think he’s as good as Sermon could be if Sermon gets more reps & develops a bit.

It also depends on how well he recovers from his knee injury, of course.

I like Wilson - he was fun to watch play. But he’s not a superstar in the wings, so I’d be hard pressed to roster him as a lottery ticket.  

Ministry of Pain said:
Trey Sermon is just getting stronger and gaining a hammerlock on the starting position. 

I haven't followed that closely, but isn't Sermon the only warm body left that was with the niners this preseason?  If i had to guess Mitchell will regain starting duties once healthy.....then Wilson once he is back....but I am viewing this through Wilson colored glasses.

I haven't followed that closely, but isn't Sermon the only warm body left that was with the niners this preseason?  If i had to guess Mitchell will regain starting duties once healthy.....then Wilson once he is back....but I am viewing this through Wilson colored glasses.
Sort of. They have a bit of flotsam & jetsam behind him, but mostly bums they picked up off the street. 

I view it as one pick in the lottery of possibilities. No RB is established. SF has produced good RB numbers in the past but all have similar chances to win a role and they could also just decide to switch around week to week and maybe within a game. Wilson to me has an outside chance of doing something but take your pick and none have heavy odds in their favor as far as being a league winner.

Week 7, after week 6 bye.  Seems to fall in line with all the recent timelines too

Week 7, after week 6 bye.  Seems to all in line with all the recent timelines too

Three weeks. Not that far away.

This would seem to be the last week possibly before Wilson hits every possible radar. Even those half asleep at the wheel owners.

I'm at 4-0. Probably could afford some pain holding him. Probably taking a shot at him tonight in waivers and hoping I can hang on.

Wilson can't be any worse than the JJ Taylor and P. Barber pickups from last week that I am now throwing in the garbage.

:yes:

Maybe you will re-read and enjoy the sarcasm you have now uncovered. 

After thinking about this for a spell, I would like to hedge my earlier comments a little by saying that who the hell knows what Shannahan will actually do. 

My gut tells me that unless Sermon takes the reins & runs away with the job (pun intended) then we’ll be looking at some sort of timeshare when Wilson returns.

And it’s possible that Wilson comes back and dominates. He caught lightning in a bottle once, maybe he’ll do it again. 

Anyone catch Shanahan's comments yesterday? End of November?

Not sure what to believe.

Had stashed Wilson, but now have other needs to attend to and probably have to dump him. SF bye week too. Could fly under the radar (if Shanahan is full of it).

End of November is pretty late for him to make an impact unless Mitchell/Sermon/Hasty (who should be back by then) are all hurt and/or are all completely ineffective. Not out of the range of outcomes, but that's still a lot of ifs and Lance may be the full-time QB by then.

Had stashed Wilson, but now have other needs to attend to and probably have to dump him. SF bye week too. Could fly under the radar (if Shanahan is full of it).

I saw that too.  I am still holding in case that was not very accurate.  I saw some beat reporter saying he Wilson was jogging and working out a few weeks ago..... was really hoping for week 7 return.....

Added to all of this is that SF offensively is a bit of a mess right now. I'm not sure any RB is going to really be a league-winner on this Niners team.  And yes, that was painful to type. I had high hopes for this season. 

As a niner fan, I'd just say steer clear. By the time this guy gets back so will everyone else (minus Mostert). Plus there could very well be a QB transition if this current one isn't the real transition. 🤪

kyoun1e said:

I was using my two IR slots for MThomas and Wilson. But now that Russell Wilson is hurt I may drop Jeff. The combo of late November plus SF's underperforming offense doesn't augur well for him being a league winner.

Not going to rush out and do it, but I think the next time there's someone worth picking up, he's the first to go. (I actually put in a waiver claim to get Darrel Williams this week, dropping Jeff, but I don't expect to get it.)

To give you some perspective, the two guys ahead of him on my roster are Gainwell and Jamaal Williams. I need to keep Williams in case I need a spot start, and I think Gainwell has more upside than Wilson at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread