What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Kyle Orton Becoming a Weekly Start? (1 Viewer)

solorca

Footballguy
Orton has been fantastic so far this season, and while the schedule gets a little rough soon, most of the season is full of relatively good matchups. Personally, I drafted Eli Manning as my #1 QB, but at this point, I feel more confident with Orton on a weekly basis and plan to put him out there most weeks.

So, the question I bring to you all. Is Kyle Orton now a QB1?

I was just discussing this with a buddy yesterday. I drafted Schaub as my QB1, but at this point, I think he and Orton are now a QBBC, with matchups dictating who I start. Orton appears to be the real deal in my opinion. Before the season, I believe Lammey predicted 4000yds and 25TD's, which is looking pretty reasonable now. He just seems to mesh perfectly with that offense.

Depends on the size of your league...in a 12 teamer, I think he is.

In a 10 teamer he is borderline even though he has played like a top QB thus far.

He looks like the real deal to me. that division is full of sieve like defenses, so Iwould start him if I had him.

Orton is legit. This is what McD does with QBs. Plus the Broncos are not committed to the run. Orton will put up nice, respectable numbers from a fantasy standpoint.

looking like he is. anyone trade for him? if so what did you give up?
Offer on table from the Orton owner who also has Rodgers for Steve Smith (CAR). He mentioned it a couple weeks ago and I am surprised he still wants to make it.

Orton is legit. This is what McD does with QBs. Plus the Broncos are not committed to the run. Orton will put up nice, respectable numbers from a fantasy standpoint.
Agree with this a lot. Plus bronco Wrs are pretty talented as a group. Potential is there to be a QB in the 8 to 10 range.

Dude is lighting it up! Hellzyeah he's a weekly start. Wish I had him over Tony freaking Romo and Eli Manning! :confused:

The guy has almost 1100 yards in 3 games, He is a lock for well over 4000 if he stays healthy. I also think his TD numbers will get better, especially as D Thomas gets up to speed. There's no question in my mind Orton's a QB1, I'm starting him the rest of the season if healthy.

For trade reference: I traded Hillis & Garrard for Orton right before Sunday's games. I thought I was getting a steal prior to game time, but it turned out pretty even when Hillis exploded too.

I was just discussing this with a buddy yesterday. I drafted Schaub as my QB1, but at this point, I think he and Orton are now a QBBC, with matchups dictating who I start. Orton appears to be the real deal in my opinion. Before the season, I believe Lammey predicted 4000yds and 25TD's, which is looking pretty reasonable now. He just seems to mesh perfectly with that offense.
I'm in the exact same boat. I almost like Orton better at this point because the Texans have a much better running game, and seem committed to getting Foster carries. This will reduce Schaub's value in the easy matchups as the Texans will probably run run run to kill the clock (and be able to do so effectively). Thinking about dealing away Schaub to upgrade the roster somewhere else, but Orton does have a rough stretch coming up (@Titans, @Ravens, vs. Jets, vs. Raiders). After his bye he has some nice games against Chiefs 2x, Rams, Cardinals, and Texans week 16.

Lets remember he's played against 3 bad passing Ds.
And did what you'd expect a good QB to do...Indy has a middle of the pack pass D, they're not terrible.Jax looks bad, but is that a product of who they played? Denver (Orton), San Diego (Rivers), and Philly (Vick - who actually looks good this year)Seattle also just played Denver (Orton) and San Diego (Rivers) - but they looked good against SF (well, it WAS Alex Smith LOL)I don't think you can write off what Orton has done by degrading the passing defenses he's faced.

I totally didn't buy into this guy.

I saw a QB coming off a good-but-by-no-means-great FF season, who lost maybe the single most important weapon %-wise any QB could have.

When the time came to make a choice, I settled for Stafford as my QB2 instead, and it has bitten me in the ###, hard.

Big credit to those who saw this coming, and believed there was still enough talent in this rag tag group of targets to produce.

I thought he was even before the season started.....it didn't take much to see how things shook out last year and how they were looking this year to see that this team was going to throw a ton.....McD came from a system in NE that threw and they chuck it here now.....tons of WR options.....Orton was WAY underrrated heading into this season, and I'll say it, even by the FBG's staff here......I sat on Orton in a bunch of my drafts and it is paying off big time.......I think he easily finishes in top 10.....maybe closer to 5 than 10......

eta: I will say I think Cecil had a better thumb on it since he covers this area and the Broncos.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked him up yesterday from WW. It's an 8-team league. I picked him up to start wk 8 when both Vick and Cutler are on a bye.

Traded TE M. Lewis and TE T. Moleaki for him in redraft 14 team PPR, 6 points per passing TD, 1.5 PPR TE league.

Very happy just wish I could have gotten him sooner as I drafted Palmer/Klob...

Things are really lining up for King Neckbeard to have an amazing season:

- Good, diverse, underrated WRs

- Offensive line much better in pass protection than run blocking

- Running back injuries and the general ineffectiveness of the run game

- A Defense that is probably middle of the pack but I can see them giving up a lot of points to certain offenses

My intention was to play him until Big Ben came back, but I'm thinking I may keep him as the starter. Not sure yet mainly because I knew coming into the season that the pass defenses he faced were susceptible. However, he's far exceeded expectations and Broncos will definitely throw the ball. Quality problem.

Just offered McNabb and Nicks for Orton and Ryan Matthews in a ppr/6 pt. pass TD start 2 QBs. We'll see if I can get the owner to bite.

Just offered McNabb and Nicks for Orton and Ryan Matthews in a ppr/6 pt. pass TD start 2 QBs. We'll see if I can get the owner to bite.

My intention was to play him until Big Ben came back, but I'm thinking I may keep him as the starter. Not sure yet mainly because I knew coming into the season that the pass defenses he faced were susceptible. However, he's far exceeded expectations and Broncos will definitely throw the ball. Quality problem.
This is my situation too, I imagine that a lot of people that waited on QB's could have ended up with this combo. I'm going to stick with Orton myself even once Big Ben comes back at least until proven wrong.

The remainder of his schedule is pretty awesome:

4 at Titans

5 at Ravens

6 vs Jets

7 vs Raiders

8 at 49ers

9 Bye

10 vs Chiefs

11 at Chargers

12 vs Rams

13 at Chiefs

14 at Cardinals

15 at Raiders

16 vs Texans

I only see two matchups that I'd classify as tough. I'm also not sure that there is an easier playoff schedule (for passing at least) than Cards, Raiders, Texans.

4 at Titans

5 at Ravens

6 vs Jets

7 vs Raiders

8 at 49ers

9 Bye

10 vs Chiefs

11 at Chargers

12 vs Rams

13 at Chiefs

14 at Cardinals

15 at Raiders

16 vs Texans

I only see two matchups that I'd classify as tough. I'm also not sure that there is an easier playoff schedule (for passing at least) than Cards, Raiders, Texans.
I think that this week's matchup with Tennessee could be a little tough, but I'm still going to roll with Orton.

Going into this past weekend, the Titans were #1 against the pass.
I think the match up is pretty good overall. The 1st 2 weeks Tenn faced the Raiders & Steelers 2nd/3rd string QB. Last week Eli threw for 385 yards. Not saying Orton will throw for 385 this week but the #1 ranking the 1st two weeks is a bit misleading.I think Orton is a decent start this week.

4 at Titans

5 at Ravens

6 vs Jets

7 vs Raiders

8 at 49ers

9 Bye

10 vs Chiefs

11 at Chargers

12 vs Rams

13 at Chiefs

14 at Cardinals

15 at Raiders

16 vs Texans

The Raiders are 2nd in the NFL against the pass right now and have actually had a pretty good pass defense for several years now.

Looking like most weeks Orton will be a solid start except this week. Gotta decide between Orton @ TEN or Flacco @ PITT.

Argh!!!!!

VaTerp said:
bigmiiiiike said:

4 at Titans

5 at Ravens

6 vs Jets

7 vs Raiders

8 at 49ers

9 Bye

10 vs Chiefs

11 at Chargers

12 vs Rams

13 at Chiefs

14 at Cardinals

15 at Raiders

16 vs Texans

The Raiders are 2nd in the NFL against the pass right now and have actually had a pretty good pass defense for several years now.
Vince Young, Sam Bradford, Derek Anderson are the QB's they've faced.

VaTerp said:
bigmiiiiike said:

4 at Titans

5 at Ravens

6 vs Jets

7 vs Raiders

8 at 49ers

9 Bye

10 vs Chiefs

11 at Chargers

12 vs Rams

13 at Chiefs

14 at Cardinals

15 at Raiders

16 vs Texans

Raiders had a terrible pass defense last year, don't confuse cause and effect. The fact that the Raiders were in the top 10 in yards allowed vs. the pass was not because they were an effective pass defense, but because teams were usually beating them and thus were running out the clock instead of throwing to score more points.

VaTerp said:
bigmiiiiike said:

4 at Titans

5 at Ravens

6 vs Jets

7 vs Raiders

8 at 49ers

9 Bye

10 vs Chiefs

11 at Chargers

12 vs Rams

13 at Chiefs

14 at Cardinals

15 at Raiders

16 vs Texans

Like I said, they've been fairly good for several years now.
Raiders had a terrible pass defense last year, don't confuse cause and effect. The fact that the Raiders were in the top 10 in yards allowed vs. the pass was not because they were an effective pass defense, but because teams were usually beating them and thus were running out the clock instead of throwing to score more points.
They were 7th in passing yards against and gave up the 6th fewest passing TDs. Not my defintion of "terrible." Sure some of it is because of situation but there were many teams like Detroit, KC, Cleveland, STL that had similar situations and still ranked near the bottom of the league in pass defense.If you look at Orton's stats against them last year you'll see that his completion percentage and yards per game are significantly lower against the Raiders than his averages against the rest of the league. In the two games against them he combined for 2 Tds and no picks. Not terrible but again lower than his average.

If you look at what the top QBs have done against Oakland in recent years they usually fall short of their averages. Again, some of it is based on circumstance but for the purposes of FF all that matter are the stats.

And I'm not confusing anything. I watch the games. They have one of the better cover corners in the game, very good overall speed in the secondary, and LBs whose strength is/was pass coverage. IMO they have a pretty good pass defense and the numbers support that. I'm not sayng the Raiders are a team to avoid QB matchups with but am simply saying that it's not exactly true to state "it doesn't get any easier" than playoff matchups that include OAK for QBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a franchise QB to me in that offense. Guy improves each and every year in the league. He's a perfect fit.

looking like he is. anyone trade for him? if so what did you give up?
I just traded him away, got Ryan Mathews in return. I think it's an even deal. I have Cutler and did not need Orton, although I valued him highly. I consider myself buying low on Mathews, but there is risk since Tolbert is serviceable and Mathews and the SD running game) have dissapointed so far. I need a stud RB--all of my RBs, save Hillis, have been performing poorly (SJax, Addai, Portis). He needed a QB badly--his top QB was Favre. So a win-win for both sides.

Is Orton a start THIS week, vs. the Ravens? CBS has him ranked quite low (Richard has him 24th!), and points to his performance last year vs. Ravens (175 yds, 1 td). But last year was last year, and this year is this year. Most other sources I've seen have Orton somewhere between 9 and 12 at QB this week.

Thoughts?

Is Orton a start THIS week, vs. the Ravens? CBS has him ranked quite low (Richard has him 24th!), and points to his performance last year vs. Ravens (175 yds, 1 td). But last year was last year, and this year is this year. Most other sources I've seen have Orton somewhere between 9 and 12 at QB this week.Thoughts?
Honestly, I find it staggering that people still haven't realized that the 2010 version of Orton is significantly better than any other previous version. IMO, Orton is a must start every week now. Denver simply has tp throw 40-45 times/game now.

4 at Titans

5 at Ravens

6 vs Jets

7 vs Raiders

8 at 49ers

9 Bye

10 vs Chiefs

11 at Chargers

12 vs Rams

13 at Chiefs

14 at Cardinals

15 at Raiders

16 vs Texans

That is a nice schedule, we'll have to see what those Chiefs games really turn out to be. If the Chiefs give up points, Orton could definately end up being a top 5 QB in fantasy football this season.

Another good thing is that they have no running game ( With or without Moreno , who is useless aniways ) so they will pass it 80% of the times ..

Some how I have not put him in yet. I used Kolb W1 until the suckage was apparent, then put in Vick who is now hurt. So 2 games I got 0 from my QB. I wish I had started Orton every game. Now this week when I need him badly he is @BAL. Can't catch a break this year. I have my season in the very incapable hands of Shaun Hill right now. Aint that a *****?

Orton has been fantastic so far this season, and while the schedule gets a little rough soon, most of the season is full of relatively good matchups. Personally, I drafted Eli Manning as my #1 QB, but at this point, I feel more confident with Orton on a weekly basis and plan to put him out there most weeks. So, the question I bring to you all. Is Kyle Orton now a QB1?
I'm an an 8 team, 2 QB league. About to sell while his value is high. I guess his value could get higher once the doubter s believe. If he has a good game against the Ravens I think people will be officially sold on him

If you drafted a stud qb and backed him up with orton, trade your qb1 for wr/rb upgrade.

Last week, I traded Rodgers, Adai and Portis for Favre, Gore and Crabtree. Picked up Torain off WW after the trade and got lucky.

as much as it pains me to say this, the ravens do have a great D and are ranked # 1 against the pass, when it was thought that this was going to be their problem area.

having said that, i wonder if this is kind of like the titan ranking last week.

the ravens have faced:

sanchez in the first week of season when the jets still had the training wheels on him.

carson palmer who has not been carson palmer of late.

the browns.

the steelers with charlie batch.

the broncos have 4 capable wrs and i think they could get some mismatches.

just trying to talk myself into putting orton in there this week.

as much as it pains me to say this, the ravens do have a great D and are ranked # 1 against the pass, when it was thought that this was going to be their problem area.having said that, i wonder if this is kind of like the titan ranking last week.the ravens have faced:sanchez in the first week of season when the jets still had the training wheels on him.carson palmer who has not been carson palmer of late.the browns.the steelers with charlie batch.the broncos have 4 capable wrs and i think they could get some mismatches.just trying to talk myself into putting orton in there this week.
same here. i think you might've talked me into starting orton.my other option is flacco, who's sitting on the bench.you bring up a nice point about the quality of baltimore's opposing qb.thanks.

:thumbup:
as much as it pains me to say this, the ravens do have a great D and are ranked # 1 against the pass, when it was thought that this was going to be their problem area.having said that, i wonder if this is kind of like the titan ranking last week.the ravens have faced:sanchez in the first week of season when the jets still had the training wheels on him.carson palmer who has not been carson palmer of late.the browns.the steelers with charlie batch.the broncos have 4 capable wrs and i think they could get some mismatches.just trying to talk myself into putting orton in there this week.
:unsure:

Rolled with Orton for weeks 2, 3, and 4 with tremendous results. But this week...I just have to bench him in favor of Eli @ HOU. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the ###!

In my 2QB-start keeper league, I was debating between keeping Orton or Alex Smith as my QB2. The deadline for me to choose was the same day as Denver's third preseason game, so I watched it closely. I saw how well Orton controlled the offense, how quickly he was making reads, and how accurate his throws had become, and I decided to keep Orton. Best choice I've made this year, by far. If I didn't have Peyton on my team, he'd be my QB1 - as it is, Manning and Orton are both must-starts for me.

Users who are viewing this thread