What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Peyton just a poor offensive coordinator? (1 Viewer)

Popinski

Footballguy
Why do you think this Colts offense has struggled so much and shown such little ability to adjust when facing "genius" defensive schemes? The Pats playoff game last year stands out more than any other. I understand that Bill B. is a great coach and that they were a terrific defense, but that was a great Colts offense which should have done better than they did. The Eagles and Panthers in the last 2 SBs have had plenty more success than the Colts offense did vs. NE.These are the reasons I would give, some obvious, but I'd like to hear other opinions:* Is it that they have given Manning too much responsibility with that offense? Obviously, he is the most knowledgeable QB and all (and probably more qualified than any other QB to have so much influence) but who is to say that any QB should have such responsibility and that they wouldn't be better with a more simplified offense? Manning makes plenty of audibles but I'm not sure that good defenses don't recognize and anticipate them and that they even give the Colts much of a relative advantage.* Is it the pressure of being a great offense led by a great QB? And on the flip side, defenses come at them sick and tired of hearing about Peyton and co. all week from the media.* Is there still too small a sample size of playoff games to come to a final conclusion that this Colts offense chokes?* Is this offense simply an unfortunate collection of players who tend to tighten up in big spots?* Does falling behind, 3 and outs, etc. to start the game get to Peyton's head to the point that he is relegated to being the equivalent of a merely average QB the rest of the game?* Or is it just that offenses rely so much on rhythm that a good defense will always have the edge over a good offense?

I'm not going to make apologies for Manning, and to be honest I'm kind of glad to see all the Mannings out of the playoffs myself, however, until this year the Colts have had a pretty weak "D" and went into games with Manning knowing that he was going to have to put up monster numbers. This year they supposedly have a great "D" and with only having run 3 offensive plays, Manning sees his team already down 14. I'm guessing that his first instinct says "shootout" and it changes his gameplan.Maybe this was the case, maybe not, but the Colts are fast becoming the poster boys for underachievement. Remember when everyone said that all they needed was homefield and they'd be unstoppable? I guess we know that isn't true.I also like your point about maybe it isn't a good idea to give Manning so much authority and responsibility with the audibles and play calling. Kind of like making a guy the coach and GM. Perhaps he has tendencies that defenses are picking up on. Maybe hes too close to the game to make the best calls. I don't know the answer, but you bring up a good point of discussion.

With regards to play calling...I listened to Dungy when they asked him about Manning shaking off the Punt Team. Dungy said that he told Manning that, and that it was the Punt Team that was confused. This was not a QB going against his Coaches wishes....Now do I believe that, I am not so sure.I did not like the way Manning called out his line in the interview...sort of seemed like sour grapes, no matter whether it was true or not.I think it takes a special team to beat the Colts...fast defensive teams that Blitz. This was the Patriots in the past, and the Chargers and Steelers this year. I think the Colts are used of being ahead in the game, and if they fall behind early, they change there game plan and move away from the run. One dimensional teams are easier to beat than two dimensional teams. :2cents:

I would like to have seen Manning/Indy call a lot more screens and quick passes to take advantage of the Steeler's D and its constant blitzes and overpursuing. I think if he had burned the blitz with a couple of dump screens over the top of it, it might have opened up the game a bit more for Indy's O.

I would like to have seen Manning/Indy call a lot more screens and quick passes to take advantage of the Steeler's D and its constant blitzes and overpursuing. I think if he had burned the blitz with a couple of dump screens over the top of it, it might have opened up the game a bit more for Indy's O.
:goodposting: How many receptions did Edge have yesterday?

I thought they would do more of this as well, but they did not. I recall earlier in the year they would keep a tighend in to block; and on occasion the tightend would block and then immediately release.The Colts really did not have an answer for the Steelers when the Steelers get pressure. You can design all the plays you want, but you have to have a backup plan in case the defense does administer some pressure.

I do give Peyton a lot of credit for calling a lot of the plays, but with 2nd and 2 at the Steelers 28ish yard line, 45ish seconds left and 3 timeouts...it was irresponsible for the Colts not to call a running play to pick up the first.

I am not sure who is to blame, but I am pretty sure it may be Peyton.

The Pats always throw alot of quick screens and little passes to the RB(Faulk usually) to get Brady's feet under him and get him settled before attacking. The Colts seem to go right to attacking and miss this first step. As great a Peyton is, it's a different atmosphere in the stadium and I think he needs that. I have little doubt he'll make it to the Supe at some point in his career, he's just too good. Simon(and the interior DL) didn't hold up yesterday. Alot of coaches believe you build a D "up the gut" and a D is "done" if you can attack the middle. I also think Simon's good play, during the season, hid some weakness at LBer behind him. Before the Colts, Dungy had a stud MLB and IMO that's what he misses most.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to have seen Manning/Indy call a lot more screens and quick passes to take advantage of the Steeler's D and its constant blitzes and overpursuing.  I think if he had burned the blitz with a couple of dump screens over the top of it, it might have opened up the game a bit more for Indy's O.
I thought they would do more of this as well, but they did not. I recall earlier in the year they would keep a tighend in to block; and on occasion the tightend would block and then immediately release.The Colts really did not have an answer for the Steelers when the Steelers get pressure. You can design all the plays you want, but you have to have a backup plan in case the defense does administer some pressure.

I do give Peyton a lot of credit for calling a lot of the plays, but with 2nd and 2 at the Steelers 28ish yard line, 45ish seconds left and 3 timeouts...it was irresponsible for the Colts not to call a running play to pick up the first.

They kept Clark in to block quite a bit....it just didn't work.

I really didn't like Clark's play this season. I expected alot so maybe I'm not being realistic just yet.

The Pats always throw alot of quick screens and little passes to the RB(Faulk usually) to get Brady's feet under him and get him settled before attacking. The Colts seem to go right to attacking and miss this first step. As great a Peyton is, it's a different atmosphere in the stadium and I think he needs that. I have little doubt he'll make it to the Supe at some point in his career, he's just too good.
I agree. It seemed like every pass that Peyton was attempting was 15 yds. +. That's fine, but if you are being blitzed and your O line is holding up, you don't have the time to make those types of plays work consistently. The only time that the Colts looked like they had any rythm was when Pitt. basically dropped into a 3 man rush, prevent type D. I would really liked to have seen some screens and slants, or quick passes to Wayne/Harrison.

I would like to have seen Manning/Indy call a lot more screens and quick passes to take advantage of the Steeler's D and its constant blitzes and overpursuing.  I think if he had burned the blitz with a couple of dump screens over the top of it, it might have opened up the game a bit more for Indy's O.

Earlier in the year they would use their tightends with slip screens. Fake a pass block for a second, let the blitzer go and then turn around. However, the Colts did little of this with Clark, James, et al. They kept with their long developing pass play attack.

Earlier in the year they would use their tightends with slip screens. Fake a pass block for a second, let the blitzer go and then turn around. However, the Colts did little of this with Clark, James, et al. They kept with their long developing pass play attack.
Agreed, it was as if they had no idea that the Steelers would bring pressure.

I did not like the way Manning called out his line in the interview...sort of seemed like sour grapes, no matter whether it was true or not.
:rolleyes: Hasn't this been addressed already? He did not "single out the line." But yes I agree that the play-calling was very lacking - Manning and Moore both get the blame for this. Moore is IMO overrated but Manning gets plenty of blame too. As stated, where the hell were the quick slants, the screen dump-offs, more runs up the gut etc? Even a Jr HS coach knows this is a logical and obvious response to a lot of blitzing and QB pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread