What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Priest Holmes a hall of famer? (1 Viewer)

Dman30

Footballguy
Amazing back in his prime, but much like Terrell Davis, was his career too short for Hall consideration?

Are you kidding?Zero chance.
And yet I remind all of you:Gale Sayers (Hall of Fame RB)7 season played4956 rushing yards5.0 career average48 touchdownsPriest Holmes10 seasons played8172 rushing yards4.6 career average94 touchdownsZero chance? That's simply moronic.

And yet I remind all of you:Gale Sayers (Hall of Fame RB)7 season played4956 rushing yards5.0 career average48 touchdownsPriest Holmes10 seasons played8172 rushing yards4.6 career average94 touchdownsZero chance? That's simply moronic.
Sayers played in a completely different era that required a different style of football than we see today. Plus, he was the pioneer of cutting and juking and just out right having the ability to make defenders miss the tackle. He was way ahead of his time. Holmes and Sayers shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath.

Gale Sayers shoudn't be in there either, but in the 60's the RB stars were Sayers, Jim Brown and well, no one.

No.

And I should point out that Terrell Davis is far more deserving of being a HoFer than Holmes is.

Regardless, Holmes was a warrior who deserves mad props for even coming back to play this year, even if it was for only two games.

Nope....and I think the Sayers comparison, while similar in #s, does not mesh well. It was a different era. Priest Holmes was never "far and away" the best in the NFL in that span. You had LT, Alexander, etc, who were right up there.

As much as I would love to see another KC guy in the HOF, it won't be Priest. However, his performance probably helps the case for Willie Roaf and Will Shields, whom I think are locks.

People keep mentioning Davis, and I think that's the key comparison. They each had a 4-season span where they were at full strength and simply unstoppable, and a bunch of other peripheral years where they were playing at partial speed which really meant nothing to the meat of their careers. Strip away those pointless seasons, and here's the comparison.

Terrell Davis 1995-1998

61 games

6413 yards rushing @ 4.78 per carry

1181 yards receiving (7594 total yards)

51 total TDs

Priest Holmes 2001-2004

54 games

5482 yards rushing @ 4.74 per carry

2163 yards receiving (7645 total yards)

76 total TDs

Based on that, Davis and Holmes were roughly equal across the board in their primes, except for TDs, where Holmes scored about 50% more. However, Davis has a lot more "intangibles" working in his favor...

Terrell Davis 1995-1998

1 MVP award

2 Offensive PoY awards

3 Pro Bowls

2 SB rings

1 Superbowl MVP

Named to the 1990s All-Decade team by the HoF selection committee

Priest Holmes 2001-2004

0 MVP awards

1 Offensive PoY award

3 Pro Bowls

0 SB rings

0 SB MVPs

2000s All-Decade team status still pending

Furthermore, Terrell Davis is inarguably the greatest postseason runner in NFL history (204/1140/12 rushing and 19/131/0 receiving in 8 games, which is the equivalent of a 2280/24 rushing season, except it happened against the best teams in the entire NFL, with no cupcakes to pad stats against). His lowest postseason rushing total was 91 yards, and he broke 100 in every other game, scoring in 7 out of the 8. Holmes only played one playoff game during his prime, and while it was one hell of a game (24/176/2 with 5/32 receiving), it was still just one game.

If you want to stack them up against their peers, things get even more bleak for Priest Holmes. There are 5 major statistical categories that RBs are judged on- rushes, rushing yards, rushing TDs, total yards, and total TDs. Here are the number of times that Terrell Davis and Priest Holmes ranked among the league leaders in those 5 categories during their primes.

Terrell Davis-

16 top-10 finishes

15 top-5 finishes

15 top-3 finishes

Priest Holmes-

16 top-10 finishes

12 top-5 finishes

9 top-3 finishes

Holmes just didn't compare as well against his peers when you're talking about across-the-board statistics. In other words, Holmes and Davis essentially had identical careers, except Holmes had 50% more TDs, while Davis had significantly more awards, significantly more postseason success, and significantly more production relative to his peers. And Terrell Davis is probably going to have to scratch and claw if he ever wants to make the Hall of Fame. In other words, Holmes probably doesn't have a shot, unless the voters elect TD in a hurry.

Zero chance.
Agreed. I'd give it someone like Herschel Walker waaaaay before I'd vote for Holmes. I see Holmes as sort of George Rodgers for this generation - not a bad thing by any stretch, just not HOF.

maybe some slow year they both get in! I would never say 0 chance!

Both were unstopable around goal line in their Prime! That has to amount for something!

SSOG said:
Terrell Davis 1995-19981 MVP award2 Offensive PoY awards3 Pro Bowls2 SB rings1 Superbowl MVPNamed to the 1990s All-Decade team by the HoF selection committeePriest Holmes 2001-20040 MVP awards1 Offensive PoY award3 Pro Bowls0 SB rings0 SB MVPs2000s All-Decade team status still pending
Priest won a Super Bowl ring in 2000 w/ Baltimore.

Dman30 said:
teamroc said:
The only thing moronic in this thread is your comparison of Priest to Sayers. :goodposting:

No, and it's not even close. Doesnt pass any test. Stats. Extended peak. Longevity. Definately not the "eye test" - he didn't look like an HoF runner so much as a guy that ran his system under perfect circumstances, very well. You take him away from that line, and we may not be talking about Priest and we may never have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly No.

If the HOF went just on ability he would be in, but this is a popularity contest and they go mostly on career stats and awards.

sheckiec said:
Dman30 said:
teamroc said:
Gale Sayers shoudn't be in there either, but in the 60's the RB stars were Sayers, Jim Brown and well, no one.
Wow....I would challenge you to come up with one rational well thought out reason Sayers shouldn't be in.

The day that Derick Blaylock came in and ran for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns when Priest missed a game was the end of Holmes' Hall of Fame chances. And then, LJ took over and never missed a beat. Holmes was totally a product of the system. The system has dissolved, and so have LJ and Holmes' numbers.

The day that Derick Blaylock came in and ran for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns when Priest missed a game was the end of Holmes' Hall of Fame chances. And then, LJ took over and never missed a beat. Holmes was totally a product of the system. The system has dissolved, and so have LJ and Holmes' numbers.
That is a fair argument, although I would argue that Holmes was the best of all of the KC RBs. And on that note, as much success as the Broncos have had running the ball over the years, none of them have come close to doing what T.D. did in his tenure in Denver.

Yes, he was by far the best back of his era. His receiving ability is what sets him apart and his nose for the endzone--you'll note he has like 30% more TDs than Davis and twice as many receiving yards. He certainly is not a first ballot HOFer, but he should eventually get in. Why does durability and playing on a great team make you more of a HOFer? Football is a team sport of 50 plus players; one player cannot make you win or lose a SB. That consideration gets way too much emphasis; it makes sense in a sport like basketball where one player can dominate, but in football one player cannot win a SB for you.

Yes, he was by far the best back of his era. His receiving ability is what sets him apart and his nose for the endzone--you'll note he has like 30% more TDs than Davis and twice as many receiving yards. He certainly is not a first ballot HOFer, but he should eventually get in. Why does durability and playing on a great team make you more of a HOFer? Football is a team sport of 50 plus players; one player cannot make you win or lose a SB. That consideration gets way too much emphasis; it makes sense in a sport like basketball where one player can dominate, but in football one player cannot win a SB for you.
:moneybag: (LT2 down?)

Yes, he was by far the best back of his era. His receiving ability is what sets him apart and his nose for the endzone--you'll note he has like 30% more TDs than Davis and twice as many receiving yards.
You forget about Marshall Faulk? Or Tomlinson?

Holmes is a Chiefs Ring of Famer...but definitely not a Hall of Famer.

Priest was a very good RB in a great system.

Boy, he was SO much fun to watch and own during that period....

but I get the feeling that ANY capable back would have had monster seasons behind that awesome O-line. It was a perfect storm.

Boy, he was SO much fun to watch and own during that period.... but I get the feeling that ANY capable back would have had monster seasons behind that awesome O-line. It was a perfect storm.
I didn't realize this was an old thread at first. That line deserves to be in the HOF before he does. Holmes was a good back in the right place at the right time.

Boy, he was SO much fun to watch and own during that period.... but I get the feeling that ANY capable back would have had monster seasons behind that awesome O-line. It was a perfect storm.
I didn't realize this was an old thread at first. That line deserves to be in the HOF before he does. Holmes was a good back in the right place at the right time.
I was going to start the same thread because I was thinking today about how dominant Priest was, but I always do a search first.

The easiest year of fantasy football I ever had was when Priest Holmes was still the starter, but obviously going to get injured. Making sure I got Larry Johnson in the middle rounds of the draft that year was my #1 priority.

I was going to start the same thread because I was thinking today about how dominant Priest was, but I always do a search first.
I think SA had a better run than Priest did actually.

That is a fair argument, although I would argue that Holmes was the best of all of the KC RBs. And on that note, as much success as the Broncos have had running the ball over the years, none of them have come close to doing what T.D. did in his tenure in Denver.
The only thing Terrell Davis had on Clinton Portis was number of carries.

I think SA had a better run than Priest did actually.
Priest from 01-04 1221 FP/54 GP = 22.61 FP/GMSA from 02-05 1212 FP/64 = 18.94 FP/GM

Man, I hated the week I had to face the Priest owner. Without fail, he had 120+ combined yards and 2 TDs. At halftime.

:lol: And a couple of rings....

;)

Amazing back in his prime, but much like Terrell Davis, was his career too short for Hall consideration?
Another differance...Priest didn't start for the Ravens because he wasn't good enough. Only when he fell to the Cheifs did he do well. This is the main reason his career was "too short"......TD, a bad injury cut his career short. Don't forget that TD was the MAN from the day in is rookie preason he leveled that 49er in Japan.

:shrug: And a couple of rings....

:football:
I think the Broncos would have been just as successful with Portis during the Super Bowl years, and I think a lot of people will agree with me on that.

Users who are viewing this thread