What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Rohan Davey a good sleeper? (1 Viewer)

Chaos

Footballguy
I'm sure some of this will shake out as the year unfolds, but as of right now would you say he is the #2 behind Warner?

If so, with those weapons he has to be someone you have your eye on, right?

He's nearing his last chance IMO.

He's like Michael Bishop when he signed with the Pack.

I'd be shocked if he ends up as their #2. Having seen him play I can definetly say that he's just not good. He did not develop at all under BB/Weis and the Pats. There's really not much he does well although he is well liked by his teammates. One think you'll notice very quickly with him is there's a gap between him deciding to do something and actually doing it. The game does not come naturally to him.

I've read that Arizona is looking at some veterans to back up Warner. I think they will definitely need a good second option, since Warner has a tendency to get banged up.

I've read that Arizona is looking at some veterans to back up Warner. I think they will definitely need a good second option, since Warner has a tendency to get banged up.
I agree, but what does this have to do with Rohan Davey? :confused:

I've read that Arizona is looking at some veterans to back up Warner.  I think they will definitely need a good second option, since Warner has a tendency to get banged up.
Reading between the lines, Rohan Davey is not a good second option?

I've read that Arizona is looking at some veterans to back up Warner.  I think they will definitely need a good second option, since Warner has a tendency to get banged up.
I'm in the school of thought that he's not. From what I've read he just doesn't have what it takes to become a good QB in this league. I think he originally caught the avid Fantasy Football player's attention by backing up Tom Brady and the Patriots.

FWIW, I've given up on him and I usually take a while to give up on a guy I really like. (I still think Jason Thomas could have been a great NFL QB) :P

I'm in the school of thought that he's not. From what I've read he just doesn't have what it takes to become a good QB in this league. I think he originally caught the avid Fantasy Football player's attention by backing up Tom Brady and the Patriots.
NFLE MVP or just a real good year over there one year. They have some excellent QB coaches and apparently it was yet another great coaching job.

FWIW, I've given up on him and I usually take a while to give up on a guy I really like. (I still think Jason Thomas could have been a great NFL QB) :P
After your PDSL selections, I take all your QB recommendations with a lot of grains of salt. :boxing: Navarre is the clear 2 at this point out in the desert.

Look for them to probably draft someone late first day / early second day to groom for the 2/3 role.

Vet QBs without homes may also wind up in AZ (Collins, Harrington, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
NFLE MVP or just a real good year over there one year.
That's right, I forgot about that. That's when his value was at the highest, then he went over to the Patriots camp and stunk up the joint.

After your PDSL selections, I take all your QB recommendations with a lot of grains of salt. :boxing: Navarre is the clear 2 at this point out in the desert.

Look for them to probably draft someone late first day / early second day to groom for the 2/3 role.

Vet QBs without homes may also wind up in AZ (Collins, Harrington, etc.)
Well, I offered Bass the sig bet that Nall outscores his 3rd QB. He declined. You up for it?

From what I've seen, the pecking order in ARI is Warner, Navarre, then Davey and the Cards could add someone else in the draft. I would not hold out a lot of hope that Davey will be counted on by the Cardinals this year (and may not even stick with the team).

Davey = came out of college with raw upside

DAvey in N.E never got to play for good reason mind you .. LOl .... went to europe had a bust out season in NFLE when given playing time

came back to N.E with what i read a new approach ... which B.B openly critizized and ven went as far as saying he would never said a QB over to NFLE again because his guy went over being able to read defenses and came back a "free lancer" from that piont on you started to see Davey FALL on the depth charts

he gets stuck at # 3 ... they draft Cassel .. he is then given the # 4 job at the start of camp .. behind a QB that hasnt thrown a pass in years .. the only time N.E gave him last training camp was mop up duty in one 4 th quarter and then they waived him

Davey needs to get back into shape ...

If you read the arizona boards and paper . Davey is back to playing shape and has had almost a full year studying the playbook

now i dont think he ever becomes a stud ... BUT he might one day get a chance .. and a chance is all he needs to show something .. what he does with that something . who knows...

Sanboy, great post with lots of data points.

I think we can all agree that Davey should not be on a fantasy roster unless it is a 32 team keeper league that starts 2 QBs each week.

It doesn't take a good quarterback to play with WRs like what the Cardinals have. Anyone who bore the label of "Arizona Starting QB" last year belonged on a fantasy roster, and that doesn't change with Davey. If Warner went down and R-Dave became the guy, he would most definitely have value. If it turns out that he's the #2 quarterback, he should probably be one of the first back-up QBs (real life back-ups, not fantasy league back-ups) taken.

I don't know why people are so quick to write this guy off.

It doesn't take a good quarterback to play with WRs like what the Cardinals have. Anyone who bore the label of "Arizona Starting QB" last year belonged on a fantasy roster, and that doesn't change with Davey. If Warner went down and R-Dave became the guy, he would most definitely have value. If it turns out that he's the #2 quarterback, he should probably be one of the first back-up QBs (real life back-ups, not fantasy league back-ups) taken.

Because Navarre is the #2, and Davey the #3. That's not going to change unless they bring in another guy, which will push Davey down another notch. I love board guys who remain in denial. Davey will never be a starting QB. He's closer to being out of the league than he is to ever starting.

Because Navarre is the #2, and Davey the #3. That's not going to change unless they bring in another guy, which will push Davey down another notch. I love board guys who remain in denial. Davey will never be a starting QB. He's closer to being out of the league than he is to ever starting.
Do you really need to be this condescending to prove your point? I'm in denial? What exactly am I in denial of?He's barely had an opportunity to even start dude. It wasn't long ago that Bulger was an unheard of 3rd-stringer, who sat behind Jamie Martin, who sucks. And until Davey gets a chance to throw more than 10 passes in an NFL season, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Things change when the bullets start flying, and so far, Davey has been successful with every opportunity he's been given.

I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Kurt Warner with the Rams and Delhomme in NFL Europe only a few years ago, so BTFU.

It doesn't take a good quarterback to play with WRs like what the Cardinals have.  Anyone who bore the label of "Arizona Starting QB" last year belonged on a fantasy roster, and that doesn't change with Davey.  If Warner went down and R-Dave became the guy, he would most definitely have value.  If it turns out that he's the #2 quarterback, he should probably be one of the first back-up QBs (real life back-ups, not fantasy league back-ups) taken. 

Davey has been successful with every opportunity he's been...
Why did the Patriots drop Davey for Doug Flutie and a 7th round draft pick?

It doesn't take a good quarterback to play with WRs like what the Cardinals have.  Anyone who bore the label of "Arizona Starting QB" last year belonged on a fantasy roster, and that doesn't change with Davey.  If Warner went down and R-Dave became the guy, he would most definitely have value.  If it turns out that he's the #2 quarterback, he should probably be one of the first back-up QBs (real life back-ups, not fantasy league back-ups) taken. 

Do you really need to be this condescending to prove your point? I'm in denial? What exactly am I in denial of?He's barely had an opportunity to even start dude. It wasn't long ago that Bulger was an unheard of 3rd-stringer, who sat behind Jamie Martin, who sucks. And until Davey gets a chance to throw more than 10 passes in an NFL season, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Things change when the bullets start flying, and so far, Davey has been successful with every opportunity he's been given.

I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Kurt Warner with the Rams and Delhomme in NFL Europe only a few years ago, so BTFU.
As someone who has seen Davey in action I can honestly say he's horrible. If possible he regressed while wearing a Pats uniform. While I know this is based on just preseason it's also based on watching him play against other teams scrubs as well as first teamers. There's nothing about him that is is translating to the pros. He has bad footwork, is not accurate and most of all is incredibly slow when it comes to making a decision and than executing it. I was rooting as hard as hell for the guy while he was with the Pats but have no problem saying his play was simply abysmal and I saw literally no upside to him. When he came back from Europe many were excited but that vanished very quickly. The Pats had no problem dumping him even though they invested three years in trying to develop him. The fact he lost out to a player who wasn't even a starter in college and was raw as hell last preseason shows that the Pats truly had given up on him. Anything is possible but I would be truly shocked if Davey ever amounts to anything in the NFL.

I've watched Davey struggle with the Pats offense for a few years and based on his talent see no reason to support him. It's not that we're him writing off, it's just as it stands now he's the #2 QB at best. At worst, he's #3 or maybe cut. There's probably 45 other QBs I would consider before him, unless I was a Warner owner. If I owned Warner then it makes more sense to draft him as insurance, if he's the clear cut #2 going into the season.

I'm sure some of this will shake out as the year unfolds, but as of right now would you say he is the #2 behind Warner?

If so, with those weapons he has to be someone you have your eye on, right?
I doubt it. Hes never prooven anything in this league and ARZ is activley shopping for another #2.

Probably the biggest sign that Davey is not much of a prospect is that Nick Saban (his coach at LSU) did not pick him up last year in the clown fest over in Miami.

Probably the most biggest sign that Davey is not much of a prospect is that Nick Saban (his coach at LSU) did not pick him up last year in the clown fest over in Miami.
:goodposting: I thought for sure he would do that. Dropped him soon after.

Davey has attempted, at the most, 10 NFL passes in any given season. He could be successful IF he ended up securing the #2 spot behind Warner, and subsequently got an opportunity to start if Warner was injured.

And the statement that I don't understand why people are so quick to write him off was based on his potential fantasy value. Not his potential to become a great NFL quarterback. I thought I had made it clear that my argument hinged on whether or not he actually ends up winning the back-up job.

:shrug:

to bring up the SABAN thing ..

please go back in the blogger or rotoworld . and you will see SABAN actually had a meeting set up with DAVEY to discuss a deal ... BUT ARIZONA came calling with a contract and he took the first contract that came his way ...

i even watched a SABAN press conference on the dolphins web site during that time last year . when saban discussed he was upset he wasnt able t get Davey under contract in time

so that argument doesnt hold much water with me

well many doubted Warner in AZ before the year and ...well they hardly had a sure fire starter. Frerotte seemed to have the Miami job locked up.

Davey has attempted, at the most, 10 NFL passes in any given season. He could be successful IF he ended up securing the #2 spot behind Warner, and subsequently got an opportunity to start if Warner was injured.

And the statement that I don't understand why people are so quick to write him off was based on his potential fantasy value. Not his potential to become a great NFL quarterback. I thought I had made it clear that my argument hinged on whether or not he actually ends up winning the back-up job.

:shrug:
I was basing my opinion on a compilation of Davey's preseason, training camp and actual starting experience. Yes, I misunderstood your prior posts. My bad. Yes, if Davey secures the #2 spot, and got the chance to start if Warner is injured, then yes, he would have fantasy value. You'd probably agree though that there's half a dozen backups in the league that we could say that about.

please go back in the blogger or rotoworld . and you will see SABAN actually had a meeting set up with DAVEY to discuss a deal ... BUT ARIZONA came calling with a contract and he took the first contract that came his way ...

i even watched a SABAN press conference on the dolphins web site during that time last year . when saban discussed he was upset he wasnt able t get Davey under contract in time

Of course SABAN "discussed a deal" with his former QB DAVEY. It's more PR than anything. If SABAN really wanted DAVEY he WOULD'VE got him, but in all ACTUALITY he didn't want him because he SUCKS. It's total coach speak. He wasn't upset that he didn't get DAVEY. Bank on that.I'm 99 percent sure that Davey will not be the 2nd string QB for the Cardinals come opening day. I'm not even sure why I'm leaving the 1 percent out. Heck I'm not even certain he'll make the roster, he sucks so bad.

It's only April and the Cardinals are looking for another QB because they don't have confident in DAVEY.

If you want to stash him on your roster, fine, but don't try to convinced the masses that it's a good idea.

well many doubted Warner in AZ before the year and ...well they hardly had a sure fire starter. Frerotte seemed to have the Miami job locked up.
At least Warner has prior success and Frerotte will be forever labeled as a temporary fix. Sure anything is possible in this league, but I wouldn't waste a roster spot on Davey.

true

I was just figuring if you're a QB looking for a job, last summer Zona wasn't a bad place to give it a shot

Navarre was the Qb DaKnee Green picked to develop and he has stuck with him over McCown who was erratic but has shown much more potential than Davey has.

If your looking for a deep value Qb who could emerge due to the high chance of Warner getting injured then I think you should look at Navarre not Davey.

That being said Navarre was and probobly still is a pretty raw prospect at Qb and it would not suprise me at all if Arizona adds another Qb in free agency (Kerry Collins?) or the draft.

Of course SABAN "discussed a deal" with his former QB DAVEY. It's more PR than anything. If SABAN really wanted DAVEY he WOULD'VE got him, but in all ACTUALITY he didn't want him because he SUCKS. It's total coach speak. He wasn't upset that he didn't get DAVEY. Bank on that.I'm 99 percent sure that Davey will not be the 2nd string QB for the Cardinals come opening day. I'm not even sure why I'm leaving the 1 percent out. Heck I'm not even certain he'll make the roster, he sucks so bad.

It's only April and the Cardinals are looking for another QB because they don't have confident in DAVEY.

If you want to stash him on your roster, fine, but don't try to convinced the masses that it's a good idea.
you missed the whole piont of the original poster .. he was looking for a deep young guy sleeper that could come out of no where ... DAvey at 27 on a team with a shaky QB position .. is as good of a long shot as any i wouldnt ever trade for Davey .. but to pick him up for free.. why not

my comments were just information nothing more .. but people saying " he sucks" .. and " he is terrible " .. and the vast knowledge that they have is 1 or 2 pass attempts.. just makes them ignorant .. you cant judge anything like that

i watched Davey for 3 years at LSU .. so my knowledge of watching him was actually during games and years .. n ot just 2 pass's in the 4 th quarter of a game with scrubs

...well they hardly had a sure fire starter. Frerotte seemed to have the Miami job locked up.
I have to disagree here. I definitely remember Saban commenting during training camp about how, paraphrasing, 'neither Frerotte or Feeley seem intent on winning the job.'Even though their QB situation was bad when Davey was available, you have to agree that Saban being disappointed that he missed out on him is completely different from the implication in this thread that the Dolphins had no interest in him whatsoever.

Yep.

7. MIA - QB Situation Still Unsettled

Clipped from: Associated Press article, 8/31/05

To the dismay of new Miami coach Nick Saban, Gus Frerotte and A.J. Feeley have been unable to claim the starting job, with both struggling through much of the preseason.

"I would have liked to determine it a month ago or two weeks ago," Saban said. "I would like to determine it. I don't have a problem with determining it. We are trying to determine it. But we don't want to upset the apple cart of what we are trying to accomplish with the development of both of these players by trying to determine something that is not ready to be determined."

Saban anointed Frerotte the front-runner after two exhibition games. While Frerotte is in his first season with the Dolphins, the 12th-year pro is familiar with their playbook because he and new offensive coordinator Scott Linehan were together with the Minnesota Vikings.

But Frerotte struggled starting the past two games, while Feeley played well last week against Tampa Bay's second-team defense, leading the Dolphins (1-3) to 10 points as they rallied for their first win under Saban.

From the start of training camp, Saban has said he'll likely need both quarterbacks this season -- and perhaps even third-stringer Sage Rosenfels. Now Saban says he'll consider playing both Frerotte and Feeley in the same game "if that's what it takes for us to have the best opportunity to win."

That must sound ominous to Dolphins fans, who watched Feeley share the job last season with Marino's much-maligned successor, Jay Fiedler. The result was a 4-12 record, Miami's worst since the 1960s.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

None of the Dolphin QBs have looked great so far in the preseason, but if one of them starts to find his rhythm, he will have some nice targets to throw to. Chris Chambrers, Marty Booker, and David Boston are a solid trio of wide receivers, Randy McMichael is a big-play threat from the tight end position, and both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams can turn a short pass into a long gain. The offensive line is a major area of concern, but if Hudson Houck can work some magic there like he did in San Diego last year, this Dolphin offense has more potential than many are giving it credit for. Still, no Dolphin QB is worth getting excited about until he starts to look good throwing the ball; so far, they haven't.
link

Because he sucks out loud.And the fact that you use words like "if", "could be" and "maybe" when describing this guy should send up a giant red flag.

90% of players will write him off because he has shown little to nothing so far. Thats what makes him "sleeper" material. Of course, few sleepers pan out.

IMHO don't bet on Davey becoming the next Warner (literally or figuratively).

90% of players will write him off because he has shown little to nothing so far. Thats what makes him "sleeper" material. Of course, few sleepers pan out.

IMHO don't bet on Davey becoming the next Warner (literally or figuratively).
Rohan Davey was a sleeper two years ago. His ship has sailed.

Users who are viewing this thread