What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this a treasonous act? (1 Viewer)

It's not treason in my view.  It's something he should be prosecuted for though.  We'd probably need to look through the Oregon laws to determine which.  
Thank you.  

re: bolded.  Why? How did you come to this conclusion.*

*not disagreeing or trying to pin you down but how one is determining it is really what I’m seeking to figure out.  

Thank you.  

*not disagreeing or trying to pin you down but how one is determining it is really what I’m seeking to figure out.  
Constitutionally, "treason" only applies to people who declare war against the USA (or who provide aid and comfort to America's enemies).

It looks like Oregon has a law that contains similar verbiage.

Since the trespassers did not declare war against the USA (or against Oregon), and since the government did not officially declare them to be "enemies", then the crime of treason would not apply.

On a more colloquial level, "treason" typically refers to the act of attempting to overthrow a government. And I don't think that the Oregon trespassers had intent, or even the capacity, to literally overthrow the state government. (This is where I think many of the January 6 rioters are in a distinctly different category, since not only did they declare an intent to overthrow the government, but they actually stopped a presidential vote from taking place.)

Thanks!  Now do @dozer, @squistion and @sho nuff!

My point being that if you're going to be consistent, you shouldn't just report trolls that aren't on your side of the aisle.  You either want all the trolls out, or none of them.  There is no middle ground.  What's it going to be?
Sorry but this constant false conflation of Antifa with BLM and their protests is trolling IMO (since it has not been proven or documented outside of the dubious account of a few BLM members, who have no connection with BLM organization or their leadership outside of attending a few rallies). 

Responding to false statements has to be done in order to correct the record (cue multiple  :lmao: ). If these lies or misstatements of fact are not challenged, then they just keep getting repeated here and eventually are accepted as gospel (which some here do already). 

No it really isn’t a very good question. In fact it’s a silly question. Something the Mad Hatter or the Cheshire Cat might ask. 
Blatantly disregarding federal law and impeding it’s law enforcement efforts to aid foreigners is pretty much the literal definition of treason.  But I get it - with you everything is relative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have you on ignore for obvious reasons but feel compelled to call you out - I reported you and I’m tagging @FBG Moderatorhere.  You and the other trolling aliases have basically ruined the PSF.  What exactly is your problem - why do you get off on lying and trolling?  As you so insecure in the political group you affiliate with that you have to make stuff up or is this just some big joke to you?

To the mod who shows up - feel free to hide this, give me a TO, whatever - there’s little point showing up to the PSF when this guy, Noonan and several others troll the threads to get replies and folks attempt to engage them in conversation - it’s pointless.  
I’m embarrassed just reading this.

Thank you.  

Maybe I don't know enough about the events but I didn't think there was any goal to kill or overthrow anything.  That's a large part of the definition in my view.  I don't even see it as a betrayal being honest.  These people don't appear to be capable of doing much of anything honestly.  Keystone Cops would look at them and laugh.  At best it's a whining temper tantrum by grown adults.

Blatantly disregarding federal law and impeding it’s law enforcement efforts to aid foreigners is pretty much the literal definition of treason.  But I get it - with you everything is relative.
Question for you: were the abolitionists who broke federal law prior to the Civil War by hiding runaway slaves and helping them to escape to freedom traitors? Did they commit treason? 

It's not treason in my view.  It's something he should be prosecuted for though.  We'd probably need to look through the Oregon laws to determine which.  

Things I'd call it:
Cowardly
Pathetic
Disgusting
Lame
Lazy
UnAmerican

I guess the list would go on for a while if I really thought about it.
I agree with most of this.  Not sure I would call what the guy did treasonous but it was really dumb and if there’s laws he can be prosecuted of then he should be.

This event is totally in line with Auntie Maxine telling crowds to get up in their face when you see them....of course....she is member of Congress.

What exactly did she hope to accomplish?

This event is totally in line with Auntie Maxine telling crowds to get up in their face when you see them....of course....she is member of Congress.

What exactly did she hope to accomplish?
Yes....congrats with being in the same category as Maxine Waters......the extreme to the sides aren't all that different are they?  Really two sides....same coin.

Sorry but this constant false conflation of Antifa with BLM and their protests is trolling IMO (since it has not been proven or documented outside of the dubious account of a few BLM members, who have no connection with BLM organization or their leadership outside of attending a few rallies). 

Responding to false statements has to be done in order to correct the record (cue multiple  :lmao: ). If these lies or misstatements of fact are not challenged, then they just keep getting repeated here and eventually are accepted as gospel (which some here do already). 
No, if anyone is trolling, you're trolling and you need to stop it. STAT. I've given you links where BLM and Antifa members are one in the same. You -- yes, you -- are the troll in this instance. It's probably why you have no avatar at this point, because you feel impelled to spam the site with this nonsense every time it's brought up. IMO, you have serious problems with factual information that doesn't fit into your preconceived (read: DNC and MSNBC newsletter) notions of what exists and what doesn't. I hope you get help with this sort of stuff. It's been cited, verified, read, and there is no doubt that Antifa and BLM overlapped in both Minneapolis and Portland.

No, if anyone is trolling, you're trolling and you need to stop it. STAT. I've given you links where BLM and Antifa members are one in the same. You -- yes, you -- are the troll in this instance. It's probably why you have no avatar at this point, because you feel impelled to spam the site with this nonsense every time it's brought up. IMO, you have serious problems with factual information that doesn't fit into your preconceived (read: DNC and MSNBC newsletter) notions of what exists and what doesn't. I hope you get help with this sort of stuff. It's been cited, verified, read, and there is no doubt that Antifa and BLM overlapped in both Minneapolis and Portland.
He's literally the definition of "keep getting repeated here and eventually are accepted as gospel".  This coming from the guy who I understand used to copy/past Twitter posts all day long as if they WERE gospel?  I mean, Twitter... :doh:

The fact that he continues to deny it means he's probably figured out if he repeats HIS denial long enough it will eventually be accepted as "gospel".  The bad news for him is the everyone is on to his game so he just comes off as foolish at best.

He's literally the definition of "keep getting repeated here and eventually are accepted as gospel".  This coming from the guy who I understand used to copy/past Twitter posts all day long as if they WERE gospel?  I mean, Twitter... :doh:

The fact that he continues to deny it means he's probably figured out if he repeats HIS denial long enough it will eventually be accepted as "gospel".  The bad news for him is the everyone is on to his game so he just comes off as foolish at best.
Let's not forget the time I busted him for posting something word for word that someone else had tweeted (and he gave no link or indication that his post was a copy and paste from anyone else). Makes you wonder how many of his posts are his own actual thoughts or if just scans Twitter all day and finding the best tweets that line up with his thoughts and then just posts them as if they are his own words.  But I digress... 

“Today, we strongly recommend that you resign from the Oregon State House of Representatives, House District 23 position,” says the June 7 letter, signed by 22 Republicans. “Given the newest evidence that has come to light regarding the events of December 21, 2020, it is our belief as friends and colleagues that it is in the best interests of your caucus, your family, yourself, and the state of Oregon for you to step down from office.”

The letter signals a full abandonment of Nearman by his party, and suggests that House Republicans will likely vote to expel him, should he not resign.

Nearman also faces possible criminal prosecution for his action that day. News of the letter comes after House Speaker Tina Kotek (D-Portland) appointed a special committee to consider expelling Nearman that consists of three Democrats and two Republicans. A two-thirds majority would be required for his expulsion.

Will Madison Cawthorn give Nearman the nah nah nah nah hey hey hey goodbye treatment or does he only reserve that Rs who stand up to the defeated single term ex-President?

:goodposting:

It makes me sick watching him provide an open door for rioters to enter the building and pepper spray the police that were there to protect him. 

I don't think that it rises to the level of treason but it sure is a **** move on his part.  He should be ashamed of himself but I am sure he isn't.

trea·son

/ˈtrēzən/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

That wasn't what happened on Jan 6th ... so not, not really treasonous by the definition

trea·son

/ˈtrēzən/

Learn to pronounce

noun

the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

That wasn't what happened on Jan 6th ... so not, not really treasonous by the definition
Jan 6-They were looking for the Vice Pres (among other politicians in our government) to murder, and trying to overturn the due process of our democracy so... um, yes the insurrectionists were treasonous.  As far as the other idiot opening the door it's definitely criminal but probably not treason. 

trea·son

/ˈtrēzən/

Learn to pronounce

noun

He didn't ask about the events in DC on the 6th of Jan...he asked about the events in Oregon.....video is there and everything.

24 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:
trea·son

/ˈtrēzən/

Learn to pronounce

noun

Expand  
Jan 6-They were looking for the Vice Pres (among other politicians in our government) to murder, and trying to overturn the due process of our democracy so... um, yes the insurrectionists were treasonous.  As far as the other idiot opening the door it's definitely criminal but probably not treason. 
Thanks SC.  But this thread wasn’t/isn’t about 1/6.  Did you look at the OP?  

Thanks Prine for your thoughts.  I’m still fascinated by the line for treason and what constitutes it.  

Thanks SC.  But this thread wasn’t/isn’t about 1/6.  Did you look at the OP?  

Thanks Prine for your thoughts.  I’m still fascinated by the line for treason and what constitutes it.  
my bad, I thought it was tied to Jan 6th 

@LarsLarsonShow

discussing the video of plotting the Dec. 21 Capitol attack at the "Freedom" Foundation office (2:38):

Lars: Did that tie into your actions on the 21?

Nearman: Yeah. So, I think that video was me kind of setting up the 21, I think.
Link

So even if this doesn't rise to the level of treason, this is criminal conspiracy.   Not only is there video, but he admits that his actions were intended to set up the criminal acts on Dec. 21.

An Oregon lawmaker is ejected from office for helping a crowd breach the State Capitol.

Lawmakers in Oregon ejected one of their colleagues from office for the first time in state history, voting 59 to 1 to oust Representative Mike Nearman for his role in helping a far-right crowd breach the State Capitol last year.

Good, and this should happen more often.

Pleasantly surprised this happened :thumbup:  
In light of the evidence I honestly couldn’t fathom anything different happening.  For me the real question is what happens to him next. 

In light of the evidence I honestly couldn’t fathom anything different happening.  For me the real question is what happens to him next. 
Really?  Given the behaviors nationally that are accepted, I expected the exact opposite to happen.  To the second part, I doubt anything else will happen to him, but I was wrong about the first part so, who knows?

Really?  Given the behaviors nationally that are accepted, I expected the exact opposite to happen.  To the second part, I doubt anything else will happen to him, but I was wrong about the first part so, who knows?
Yes, The video evidence of him talking prior to it was simply too overwhelming.  Had that piece of video not been released then I’d be right there with you.  

Users who are viewing this thread