What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isn't it weird to donate for sick animals when we have sick kids? (1 Viewer)

Back when I was into performing magic I used to donate to the upkeep of Harry Houdini's grave site. It had been let go and his head stone had been badly vandalized. The magicians society had been in charge of it for a while but as the years passed they stopped caring about it. A private group raised funds and restored the grave and marker to better than it's original state. I am proud to have donated (it was only a few dollars a year) as I felt obligated to give back to a man who had inspired me when I was younger. The bottom line is we are free to choose who and what to donate our money. I have enough i can give to multiple charity.
Not sure why but this post had me :lmao:

Back when I was into performing magic I used to donate to the upkeep of Harry Houdini's grave site. It had been let go and his head stone had been badly vandalized. The magicians society had been in charge of it for a while but as the years passed they stopped caring about it. A private group raised funds and restored the grave and marker to better than it's original state. I am proud to have donated (it was only a few dollars a year) as I felt obligated to give back to a man who had inspired me when I was younger. The bottom line is we are free to choose who and what to donate our money. I have enough i can give to multiple charity.
Not sure why but this post had me :lmao:
That's...really strange.

Otis can answer for himself, but I have to say that your behavior in this thread is rather bizarre. You seem a bit "off"; I hope things turn around for you.
:shrug:

I'm responding to statements made by other people that I think are "off". Pretty sure my comments are in line with most people's in this thread. You and Otis seem like the outliers to me.

So, when Otis says we should put all our resources towards curing sick kids before we spend any money on sick pets, you think it's weird that someone would question that? Is it even possible to donate enough money to cure all the sick kids in the world?
I do think it's weird, but I also think it's weird that people have intense emotional relationships with some animals while eating other ones every night.

Last edited by a moderator:
People should give to whatever they feel passionate about. To judge on what people want to help towards is weird and f'd up, I think.

People should give to whatever they feel passionate about. To judge on what people want to help towards is weird and f'd up, I think.
I feel passionate about judging. To judge on what people want to judge on is weird and f'd up, I think.

Should people that don't like kids and don't have kids also give to children's charities? I mean why would someone who fits that description really want to give money to help someone else's kids. In the end, don't you just give to the causes that are meaningful to you.

Otis can answer for himself, but I have to say that your behavior in this thread is rather bizarre. You seem a bit "off"; I hope things turn around for you.

I'm responding to statements made by other people that I think are "off". Pretty sure my comments are in line with most people's in this thread. You and Otis seem like the outliers to me.

So, when Otis says we should put all our resources towards curing sick kids before we spend any money on sick pets, you think it's weird that someone would question that? Is it even possible to donate enough money to cure all the sick kids in the world?
I do think it's weird, but I also think it's weird that people have intense emotional relationships with some animals while eating other ones every night.
That is weird, because it's certainly true that people do have equally kind and intimate relationships with all other human beings, and never, ever dehumanize, demonize, bomb, or shoot them.

That is weird, because it's certainly true that people do have equally kind and intimate relationships with all other human beings, and never, ever dehumanize, demonize, bomb, or shoot them.
Exactly what percentage of people do any of that?

Should people that don't like kids and don't have kids also give to children's charities? I mean why would someone who fits that description really want to give money to help someone else's kids. In the end, don't you just give to the causes that are meaningful to you.
People are free to do anything they want with their money but if I find out you gave money to cure hamster diabetes I'll think less of you.

Exactly what percentage of people do any of that?
Most? Ever watch a newscast?

People are free to do anything they want with their money but if I find out you gave money to cure hamster diabetes I'll think less of you.
I'm too practical to ever to do that. Hamsters only live like a year. Now guinea pig diabetes is another story.

I'd be curious for the pet nerds to rank animals in terms of importance.

I figure it goes something like this at the start, right?

1. dogs

2. cats

Here's where it gets weird though. Even though these animals aren't all THAT different from the rest of the animals in the world, because of recent history and custom, you folks put them on a pedestal. Fine. What do we do with the following?

whales

fish

cows

tigers

chickens

parakeets

parrots

turtles

hamsters

gerbils

mice

rats

butterflies

snails

worms

ants

spiders

monkeys

rhinoceros

elephants

tigers

lions

buffalo

I wonder how many of these you'd value over human strangers or other kids' children. "Duh, just dogs, because I read Ol' Yeller when I was 12 and man was I even more dumb and impressionable tahan than I am now."

Sometimes the truth just hurts.

So are Otis and I the only people that value human life over animals? The rest of you seem to be missing this point.

So are Otis and I the only people that value human life over animals? The rest of you seem to be missing this point.
I think you're missing the point.

Most people feel that it's not a big deal to also set aside some money to help animals.

1. dogs

2. cats

Here's where it gets weird though. Even though these animals aren't all THAT different from the rest of the animals in the world, because of recent history and custom, you folks put them on a pedestal. Fine. What do we do with the following?

whales

fish

cows

tigers

chickens

parakeets

parrots

turtles

hamsters

gerbils

mice

rats

butterflies

snails

worms

ants

spiders

monkeys

rhinoceros

elephants

tigers

lions

buffalo

I wonder how many of these you'd value over human strangers or other kids' children. "Duh, just dogs, because I read Ol' Yeller when I was 12 and man was I even more dumb and impressionable tahan than I am now."

jesus christ, horses are an obvious 3rd and you don't even have them on the ####### list. What supposed to hurt again? I'm so confused with this thread. Unless I missed something, seems like the correct order is privacy bushes > kids > other people > animals.

Have you ever had a pet, Otis?
Fish, a parakeet, gerbils, a turtle, two dogs. Turns out I still think people are more important than pets. Weird right?
Not at all. People are more important.

What were the 2 dogs?
What breed?

Two west highland terriers. One was my first dog I got in junior high and was so excited about. Got sick and died as a puppy after about 2 months. A little while later the parents got another. He lived with us for probably 10 years or so, of which I was only in the house for like 5, and came home for holidays the rest.

Cool dog. I loved him as much as a kid can love his dog. I walked him lots of nights out in the freezing cold and picked up his crap in plastic bags, and cleaned up his throw up when he was sick.

He still wasn't a person.

well, it's a lot easier to save the life of a dog than a child.

some of us rescue pets before they are euthanized, but not many are out there looking to adopt a kid who was orphaned or is living on the street homeless.

1. dogs

2. cats

whales

fish

cows

tigers

chickens

parakeets

parrots

turtles

hamsters

gerbils

mice

rats

butterflies

snails

worms

ants

spiders

monkeys

rhinoceros

elephants

tigers

lions

buffalo

jesus christ, horses are an obvious 3rd and you don't even have them on the ####### list. What supposed to hurt again? I'm so confused with this thread. Unless I missed something, seems like the correct order is privacy bushes > kids > other people > animals.
####. Great call. Totally forgot horses. My bust.

some of us rescue pets before they are euthanized, but not many are out there looking to adopt a kid who was orphaned or is living on the street homeless.
Exactly. That's pretty weird, isn't it?

Well, think about being a better person and making more of an impact on society.

This shtick is always funny in these kinds of threads:

"Man I hate people, they suck. I like animals so much more."

I get this is fun shtick, sort of like the "oh man, that old hag of a wife of mine is nagging me again" shtick which is reaaaallly funny, but if you truly feel this way, you honestly have bigger issues than we can resolve on a message board.

HTH

I don't think so, really.

it's a huge commitment to take in a kid and care for him. people don't take that lightly.

dogs are pretty low maintenance and a lot less expensive in comparison.

I get this is fun shtick, sort of like the "oh man, that old hag of a wife of mine is nagging me again" shtick which is reaaaallly funny, but if you truly feel this way, you honestly have bigger issues than we can resolve on a message board.

HTH
We'll be in the room next door to the meeting of people that value privacy hedges over helping sick children

it's a huge commitment to take in a kid and care for him. people don't take that lightly.

You are the Lesean McCoy of the FFA today, I hope you both rebound.

Having owned both dogs and kids, they're both sort of a PIA imo.

HTH
We'll be in the room next door to the meeting of people that value privacy hedges over helping sick children
That was good shtick the first time it was raised on page 1. After about the 4th time it was raised on page 1 it wasn't really funny at all. We're on page 5. May I show you to the Shark Pool?

Users who are viewing this thread