What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

J. Best owners - What are you doing this week? (1 Viewer)

Best will be where he's been since Week 3, perma-benched. If you have to rely on him, you're in trouble.
That is such a foolish statement. If you own him in a ppr (which I would bet more than half of leagues are now), he has been under 10 points exactly once this year. There is finally positive talk about his health, the offense is extremely explosive, and he finally has some relief in the way of Smith. His touches are still hovering around or over 15 per game, he's top 3 in RB targets, and has a great conversion rate on his targets (See Waldman's Gut Check for detailed info). Add to that there are still plenty of games on turf in the Lion's schedule... I think anyone relying on him is probably just fine.I'm relying on him in both of my primary leagues as a Flex/RB2, he's producing, and I'm winning. That's not being in trouble.I think people just expected too much after week 2. The only way a Best owner should be concerned is if he is your RB1. As a RB2/Flex, he's been fine, with a positive outlook going forward.I'm also of the opinion that K.Smith giving Best a break is a good thing. He's a rookie, who's seen a fair bit of work. The rest should help him keep it up the entire season, instead of hitting the "wall" that many rookies hit. Also, the Lion's know what they have in Smith, if it was that impressive, I doubt that trading up for Best would have been such a priority. Smith is a nice, serviceable back... but he deffinately lacks the explosiveness and big play potential of Best.
Good points. Add in the fact that most people did draft him as a RB2 or even RB3/flex. He is outperforming his ADP by quite a bit and is still a valuable cog in my lineup.

Starting him with confidence, he performed fine against similar tough defenses and his explosive potential.

Really the only Defense he hasnt done well against is Minnesota and thats the game he got pulled from in the first half.

Fantasy Rank Defense in parenthesis, Scores from PPR.

(T3)Bears- 23.4

(16)Eagles- 53.6

(28)Vikings- 7.3

(6)Packers- 13.8

(5)Rams- 17.9

(21)Giants- 13.1

(T3)Redskins- 15.3

Last edited by a moderator:
More on Smith

Kevin Smith-RB- Lions Nov. 4 - 2:16 pm et

Kevin Smith acknowledged that he's dealing with "a lot of soreness" in his surgically repaired left knee.

Jahvid Best owners can take solace in Smith's discomfort. He's coming off his heaviest workload of the season with 14 touches against the Redskins. The soreness will likely keep the Lions from expanding his role beyond 6-8 carries per game over the next few weeks. It's a good time to make an offer for Best.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter

I still don't see Smith being out as a lock for being more carries for Best. I think it was clear that the Lions didn't trust him to run with a lead, and they don't seem to view him as someone who can pick up tough yards. I bet if Smith has to sit completely, they give his carries to a mix of Felton/Morris and Best doesn't see many more touches than he did last week.

More on Smith

Kevin Smith-RB- Lions Nov. 4 - 2:16 pm et

Kevin Smith acknowledged that he's dealing with "a lot of soreness" in his surgically repaired left knee.

Jahvid Best owners can take solace in Smith's discomfort. He's coming off his heaviest workload of the season with 14 touches against the Redskins. The soreness will likely keep the Lions from expanding his role beyond 6-8 carries per game over the next few weeks. It's a good time to make an offer for Best.

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter

I still don't see Smith being out as a lock for being more carries for Best. I think it was clear that the Lions didn't trust him to run with a lead, and they don't seem to view him as someone who can pick up tough yards. I bet if Smith has to sit completely, they give his carries to a mix of Felton/Morris and Best doesn't see many more touches than he did last week.
Idk why anyone thought to begin with that Kevin Smith was gonna have any role besides change of pace back in Detroit, ive owned him in 2008-2009 and he was a constant disappointment, obviously the lions as a whole are better now but that doesnt change that Kevin Smith isnt even a great change of pace back, he has similar talents as Best he just isnt as good as Best in any regard, they need a solid 3rd RB no idea about Maurice Morris tho_Or Kevin Smith needs to gain 40 lbs and be a better RB.

Currently have offers out for Best. I think that after the Jets game we might see some good things from him in match ups vs: Buf and Dal. :hot:

If I get him he starts, but I have nothing at RB right now so I'll take what I can get.

Best will be where he's been since Week 3, perma-benched. If you have to rely on him, you're in trouble.
That is such a foolish statement. If you own him in a ppr (which I would bet more than half of leagues are now), he has been under 10 points exactly once this year. There is finally positive talk about his health, the offense is extremely explosive, and he finally has some relief in the way of Smith. His touches are still hovering around or over 15 per game, he's top 3 in RB targets, and has a great conversion rate on his targets (See Waldman's Gut Check for detailed info). Add to that there are still plenty of games on turf in the Lion's schedule... I think anyone relying on him is probably just fine.I'm relying on him in both of my primary leagues as a Flex/RB2, he's producing, and I'm winning. That's not being in trouble.I think people just expected too much after week 2. The only way a Best owner should be concerned is if he is your RB1. As a RB2/Flex, he's been fine, with a positive outlook going forward.I'm also of the opinion that K.Smith giving Best a break is a good thing. He's a rookie, who's seen a fair bit of work. The rest should help him keep it up the entire season, instead of hitting the "wall" that many rookies hit. Also, the Lion's know what they have in Smith, if it was that impressive, I doubt that trading up for Best would have been such a priority. Smith is a nice, serviceable back... but he deffinately lacks the explosiveness and big play potential of Best.
:goodposting: :thumbup: :bow: Solid work in this post.

Best is my worst nightmare. When I start in my ppr he gets me 10 or 12 points. When I sit him he blows up for 49. I think those days are over as he has been hampered by his toe injury and seems like a trend at this point.

Given that, Im still considering starting him (cus Im a masochist) but it would have to be over Steve Johnson or Ray Rice. would you do it?

1 point per reception

Respect

Best is my worst nightmare. When I start in my ppr he gets me 10 or 12 points. When I sit him he blows up for 49. I think those days are over as he has been hampered by his toe injury and seems like a trend at this point.Given that, Im still considering starting him (cus Im a masochist) but it would have to be over Steve Johnson or Ray Rice. would you do it?1 point per receptionRespect
I'm starting Steve Johnson over Best this week...

Don't understand all the complaining about Best. As someone said he has only produced under 10 pts in PPR once, and that game he was injured. If you drafted him as an RB1 you are probably losing in you're league and deserve to be. If you are in a non-ppr league and drafted him as an RB2 then that was also a bad idea. The guy will find the endzone soon and people will begin to rave about him.

Best is my worst nightmare. When I start in my ppr he gets me 10 or 12 points. When I sit him he blows up for 49. I think those days are over as he has been hampered by his toe injury and seems like a trend at this point.Given that, Im still considering starting him (cus Im a masochist) but it would have to be over Steve Johnson or Ray Rice. would you do it?1 point per receptionRespect
I would never in a million years start him over Rice. Maybe over Johnson but Johnson has scored a TD in his last six games or something crazy like that. He's been incredibly consistent in the red zone for a receiver. I'd sit Best if I were you. This is the Jets were talking about. Not like he has a remotely favorable matchup.To give you an idea of how down I am on his prospects, I am actually considering starting Choice over him.

Don't understand all the complaining about Best. As someone said he has only produced under 10 pts in PPR once, and that game he was injured. If you drafted him as an RB1 you are probably losing in you're league and deserve to be. If you are in a non-ppr league and drafted him as an RB2 then that was also a bad idea. The guy will find the endzone soon and people will begin to rave about him.
yep, the guy has got too much upside to bench. He practiced in full this week after saying that he is as close to 100% as he's been all season-EDIT see below for quotes. The toe(s) should fair much better, he's playing on home turf this weekend which is a plus for his production. The guy is not killing it carrying the ball but his receptions are making up for it. If you believe the Jets defense will do what they normally do and put a ton of pressure on Stafford he is going to need a quick outlet for screens passes most of the day. Hitting Best in stride in the flat and allowing him to do his thing is just what the doctor ordered. I can see him breaking off a big gainer TD this weekend off of a little dump pass ala the game against the Eagles.
Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best (toe) said the bye week came at a good time for him because he was able to rest his injured toe and believes he is close to 100 percent healthy at this point, according MLive.com's Tom Kowalski.
Detroit Lions RB Jahvid Best (toe) fully participated in practice Thursday, Nov. 4. Source: KFFL.com

Starting him as usual with Mendenhall. PPR he gets me a nice double digit score every week. He starts sprinkling in a long td run every so often and he will be top 5-7 going forward.

Even in nonppr he's scored less than 7 only twice. Which isnt great , but compared to the RBs drafted before him, its actually looks a lot better.All though I got to say. I'm starting to regret moving Turner/BrandonJackson/James Davis for Greg Jennings/Best in my dynasty league. Looks as thoughthis move might hold me back from contending this year. Hope it pays off down the road. I think it will, but now questioning.

fo shizzle said:
Clifford said:
To give you an idea of how down I am on his prospects, I am actually considering starting Choice over him.
You start making moves like this, and its time to take a break from the boards and go for a walk outside.Choice? Cmon man.
Matchup? Not saying I'm doing it but you'd be crazy not to consider any viable option when he's playing the Jets.

Sitting him for Stewart. The Jets seem like they have the personnel to push the Lions around up front and like the Bears and Giants games I think Best might have a hard time finding a hole to hit. Someone said Jets were vulnerable to the screens but they are such a huge part of the Lions offense I would think Rex has them prepared. He'll get a few receptions and his carries and you never know but he's a risky start for sure.

Will probably start him over BJGE, especially if Smith doesn't play. Because he catches passes, I think his floor is reasonably high (7 pts?), and he may break off one long run or get a GL carry. In contract, BJGE's floor is, IMO, lower because Woodhead may score and BJGE may pull at 5-15 without a TD.

But I wouldn't be shocked if BJGE outscored Best.

I have him in two 1-PPR leagues

Debating between him, Bradshaw, and Charles, and will probably let Best rest his toe this week as far as my main team is concerned.

The other league I'm thinking of sitting him for Sproles. Will probably also start Hillis, although Jacobs is tempting in Seattle.

Ughh...my choice between Mike Wallace and Jahvid Best in my flex spot just got tougher with Austin Collie now being healthy.

Anyone have a 3 sided coin?

Debating between him, Bradshaw, and Charles, and will probably let Best rest his toe this week as far as my main team is concerned.

The other league I'm thinking of sitting him for Sproles. Will probably also start Hillis, although Jacobs is tempting in Seattle.
You could rest your whole team, as far as I'm concerned, World of Pain Bakes.

I'm bullish. I just traded Gates for Best and VD.

I think he'll be effective on a few screens vs the NJY, which they've struggled a bit to contain. KSmith a bit banged up isn't likely IMHO to get more than 10 touches. I think he's healthier now than he's been in weeks. Having Stafford back doesn't hurt.

I think he could be good for 17-20 PPR this week.

Undeniable explosiveness.

The people that are bashing on Jahvid Best are people that got their hopes too high. I’ll admit, I did too after that week #2 game where he blew up. Those of us who stayed on the Best train have had to deal with consistently lowered expectations.

But in PPR, his ceiling remains high, and a host of other players on my rosters have done better, but have been all over the map. Best never truly disappoints. He’s not the cause of your team losing.

When I see the highlight package of Best’s work, I still see the top speed and quicks in open space. He looks like a stud RB even when the line is underperforming….kinda like Barry sometimes.

The turf toe has limited his involvement, but when given the rock, he seems like a threat to take it to the house on any given play. Even if his touches hover around 15 to 18, he can generate the big play at any time, and his high pass catching total is a plus.

I look for him to take the next step forward starting this week against the Jets at home. The key is that the Lions are at home, and are fairly healthy. I expect the Jets will limit his ypc, but he always has the chance to break one, and that includes the little dump off passes in the flat.

Worse case, as a flex/RB3, he produces a 10 point game in PPR. But I like the upside of his talent to have one of those 44 point games also. I don’t expect it, but it’s nice to have a stable floor and a high ceiling.

Starting with confidence this weekend.

:thumbup:

Currently have him in my line-up ahead of C Taylor, Meachem, & B Tate. Seriously considering Taylor against the Bills porous run-d. But who can trust Martz to run it enough so there is enough carries to go around?

......well that is really nice of you. Have you talked to his coach about your decision?

Non PPR, Best or green-ellis?

With Gore on bye, I need to make a call between Best, F.Jackson vs. Chi, and D.Brown @ Phi. I leaning towards Best due to potential upside but it's far from a lock.

Traded him for S. Jackson in a non-PPR yesterday...time will tell on whether I pulled the plug too soon.
You're fortunate. I offered Best and Reggie Bush for SJax and got a scathing reply about how absurdly ridiculous and god-awful my offer was. I'm not sure I could trade Best for Welker at this point. Considering benching him for Chester Taylor this week.

Traded him for S. Jackson in a non-PPR yesterday...time will tell on whether I pulled the plug too soon.
You're fortunate. I offered Best and Reggie Bush for SJax and got a scathing reply about how absurdly ridiculous and god-awful my offer was. I'm not sure I could trade Best for Welker at this point. Considering benching him for Chester Taylor this week.
That's an owner I would no longer send any offers to. It was far from absurd.

I too am intrigued by FBG’s high ranking. I just couldn’t see it after he hadn’t shown a pulse since week #2. On top of that he was in a full blown RBBC with carries split down the middle with Kevin Smith. I scoffed at the ranking, and my gut was to bench him.But then you look at the positives. Kevin Smith is banged up and hasn’t practiced, while Best has practiced fully. Also, the Lions are playing at home on the artificial turf where Best uses his dynamic quicks. The last time that Best faced a tough defense was at home against Philadelphia, and he had the monster game. If he is healthy, and some say that he is close to 100%, I don’t see the Jets shutting down the Lions this week. They are coming off a shutout loss and will be fired up, but on the road it will be difficult to stop all the Lions weapons. With the Lions at close to full strength and at home, they should be passing a lot, but Best is good for at least a handful of catches in that situation, so his PPR floor is pretty high. Best has shown that he can occasionally break into the open space and break the big play. All you need is one good play from Best, and he will make your day.I am starting him over Dez Bryant as a flex in ppr, if only perhaps because FBG’s is so low on Dez. Can anyone explain why? (or save for the Dez Bryant thread).:fingerscrossed:
This is a :thumbup: . Best has become a lightning rod because people's expectations got blown out of proportion after the monster game against the Eagles, but he's still very worthwhile in a PPR, and, despite the tough matchup, he has the advantage of playing at home and Kevin Smith being banged up. Also, as good as the Jets' defense is (and it's scarily good), while they haven't given up a monster rushing game to an opposing RB, they've given up some longer runs to guys like Ronnie Brown, ADP, and even Maroney/Buckhalter. I'm not saying that Best is going to go off, but I could see something like 15/55 and 6/38, which is a respectable day in a PPR league. And there's always the chance he breaks off a long one or picks up some points in garbage time.

Best hasn't had a big game in a while, but he still puts up decent numbers in PPR. Considering the weakness this year for stud RB's, Best has been solid especially for his draft position. Plenty of RB's picked before Best who underperformed him. He hasn't been winning games for anyone single-handedly like he did at the beginning of the year, but I am still above .500 with both teams he is on. Going against the Jets is a bit scary, but with the bye weeks have little choice but to be rolling with him.

Riding Best over Benson and Blount. Best has the greatest upside and big play ability. Can't bear the thought of benching him if he blows up again.

Rolling with Donald Brown over Best. I'd like to see him out do his rankings this week against the Jets before I'm comfortable starting him.

In .5 ppr, going with him over Felix and Sproles. I think between the 3 he will have the most touches, and best chance for a touchdown.

I am keeping him in my PPR league with confidence. For god sake he still has CHI, BUF, NE, TB and DAL to play and thats 3 out of 5 in my playoff schedule. You would be crazy to trade him away.

Users who are viewing this thread