What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaguars "homefield advantage" in London (and the poor job of many analysts) (1 Viewer)

renesauz

IBL Representative
I heard something on Sirius on my way to work last night, and then again on GMFB this morning when I was laying down to sleep: The discussion was about the homefield advantage the Jaguars enjoy in London....except in both cases the speakers were making a case for such advantage to be non-existent for the Jaguars. The key data piece to support the statement? The Jags are a 5-5 in their London games, and if they're a .500 team, clearly they enjoy no such advantage and the Bills should steamroll them.

I was amazed at how incredibly short sighted this analysis was. After all....haven't the Jags been a .300 type team for most of the last 10 years? Indeed...they've had just TWO winning seasons since 2013 (and the second was last year at a whopping 9), and had seasons mixed in there of 4,3,5,3,5,6,1, and 3 wins. That's a staggering win percentage of .179. That's right, the win rate in London for the Jags is more then double their normal win rate. Isn't that the entire definition of "Home field advantage"? More, if BAD Jaguars teams enjoyed this level of success in London, shouldn't it follow that a decent Jaguars team would win even MORE often?

Horrific lack of insight by the analysts, IMHO

Ridiculous conclusion, your point being the major, but the minor being the very small sample size. 10 games split 50/50 concludes that there's no advantage?

I can't seem to find this out, but did the Jaguars stay over in London from last week's game? I would think that would be an additional advantage when included with the team being experienced going overseas.

Video surfacing showing Goodell admit it was an experiment having the Jags stay to see if it was an advantage or disadvantage.

I am sure the Bills love having their season experimented with. There is a high probability that one game will be deciding important AFC seeding or division winner in the East.

This could have been handled better. For one, the Bills lost a home game yet they were the ones travelling while Jax stayed put. Why was the first game not a Falcons home game and the second Jax? If the Bills are at a disadvantage at least don’t make them lose a home game also.

Second, why not have the team coming in for game 2 be coming off a bye, to even things out, they could travel Sunday or Monday and not have to travel immediately after playing.

Anyone who is fully over jet lag and has the comfort of not flying a few days before a game has such a significant advantage. It is ridiculous the Bills were even in this situation, let alone flew on Friday.

Anyone who is fully over jet lag and has the comfort of not flying a few days before a game has such a significant advantage. It is ridiculous the Bills were even in this situation, let alone flew on Friday.
Heres the thing though....they are saying this NOW, with the benefit of hindsight. BEFORE the game, it was all about how Jags dont enjoy homefield there, and most pundits picked the Bills to win the game. I started this thread before the game

If it's such an advantage I'm sure the Bills are signing up right now to play 2 games there next season.

Heres the thing though....they are saying this NOW, with the benefit of hindsight. BEFORE the game, it was all about how Jags dont enjoy homefield there, and most pundits picked the Bills to win the game. I started this thread before the game
In an experiment you sometimes don’t know the outcome until after you do it.

Bills mistake was flying to London on Friday for a Sunday game. Ever fly to Europe? I have a small sample size but have done it twice.
Jet lag is real. Big mistake by somebody on the Bills.

I can't seem to find this out, but did the Jaguars stay over in London from last week's game? I would think that would be an additional advantage when included with the team being experienced going overseas.

Yea but they switched hotels.

Because the Bills stole their hotel for week two.
:lol:

Even the traveling secretary is inept.

Bills mistake was flying to London on Friday for a Sunday game. Ever fly to Europe? I have a small sample size but have done it twice.
Jet lag is real. Big mistake by somebody on the Bills.

Yeah that was a super odd decision

Detroit (on the rare occasion they had to go) usually goes on Tuesday or Wednesday so their practice schedule mirrors their normal prep

The Albany Great Danes football team had to go to Honolulu to play the University of Hawaii a month ago, while Hawaii had been at home the previous week. I know that's comparatively microscopic in magnitude. But it's a thing that happens sometimes.

One thing of note. I believe the NFL tries to weigh all the possible complete schedules based on different factors which I think include fairness. Perhaps the imbalance is made up for, at least a little, elsewhere in Buffalo's schedule? That's probably far-fetched, as I don't know what could possibly make up for that. Just trying to make it make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread