What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Cook - What to expect? (2 Viewers)

I have cut bait the last 2 weeks in a couple of dynasty leagues....I am done.

He really is a turd and on a crap team to boot. So much physical talent.....must be between the ears.

Must be.

He'll do well again. One game is not a sufficient tease. There will be more of this pattern

He'll do well again. One game is not a sufficient tease. There will be more of this pattern
3 sub par games...one great game.

Pattern has been well established over his entire career.

he does not have it between the ears.....I am convinced. Cut bait.

Todem said:
Bri said:
3 sub par games...one great game.

Pattern has been well established over his entire career.

he does not have it between the ears.....I am convinced. Cut bait.
I agree

Only 37 snaps compared to Kendricks 66
:goodposting:

I'll have to re-watch to see if any sort of injury. Has he already worn out his welcome after 5 games?

I just cut him in a 12 team PPR. Gonna have to pray Pettitgrew can post reasonable #s while Burleson out.

Considering dropping him for Eifert or Brent Celek who was just dropped this morning.

What a disappointment.

I traded Orange Julius for this clown after week 1. I practically built my draft around this guy but struck out on draft day. After both Cook and Thomas' big opening days I felt lucky to talk the owner out of him. Assumed Cook would be #1 option in STL while Thomas would be inconsistent with all the other weapons in Denver. It's been 4 straight 4 weeks of :wall:

WTF is going is going on with the Rams? Everything led to the progression of this young team. Is there any hope they turn this around?

I traded Orange Julius for this clown after week 1. I practically built my draft around this guy but struck out on draft day. After both Cook and Thomas' big opening days I felt lucky to talk the owner out of him. Assumed Cook would be #1 option in STL while Thomas would be inconsistent with all the other weapons in Denver. It's been 4 straight 4 weeks of :wall:

WTF is going is going on with the Rams? Everything led to the progression of this young team. Is there any hope they turn this around?
Little Shotty is quite possibly one of the worst OCs in the game.

Cook can't block. Kendricks can. Fisher said he wants to run the ball so Cook's on the bench, while Kendricks plays. Seeing as they won last week, I'd expect this to continue. Of course, I'd also expect them to lose this week.

Snap counts:

Week 5: Kendricks 64 (88%), Cook 39 (53%), C.Harkey?!? 40 (55%)

Overall: Cook 268 (73%), Kendricks 190 (54%), Harkey 51 (14%)

Kendricks up, Harkey coming out of nowhere, and Cook falling precipitously.

This was the same problem Cook had in TEN. Hard to score when you're not on the field.

Cook can't block. Kendricks can. Fisher said he wants to run the ball so Cook's on the bench, while Kendricks plays. Seeing as they won last week, I'd expect this to continue. Of course, I'd also expect them to lose this week.

Snap counts:

This was the same problem Cook had in TEN. Hard to score when you're not on the field.
With the defense they had last year coupled with Steven Jackson, reasonable strategy. But they have neither. Hopefully at some point someone will realize that they have to score points to win the few games they will get and open up the offense. Sooner rather than later would be awesome.

Snap counts:

Cook can block when he wants to which drove the Titans coaches nuts. "He's not committed" I think was Munchak's slogan for Cook when discussing his blocking.

In redraft I think he's droppable, and I did so in one league. Right now I'm holding him in dynasty. Are you seeing him dropped in dynasty?

dropped for Heath Miller. the declining snap counts is what sold me. I still don't understand why Fisher would green light the signing. He knew what Cook was all about in Tennessee I would have to imagine.

Snap counts:

Cook can block when he wants to which drove the Titans coaches nuts. "He's not committed" I think was Munchak's slogan for Cook when discussing his blocking.
Wow that's just what I was thinking. Deja vu all over again.

What gets me is how he has these huge games and OC's just can't find a rhyme or reason to keep it going.

Could this be an intentional strategy to make defenses forget about Cook, and then boom a game with lots of plays drawn out for Cook? Haha I guess not likely.

Could this be an intentional strategy to make defenses forget about Cook, and then boom a game with lots of plays drawn out for Cook? Haha I guess not likely.
Unfortunately, no. I think Cook's lack of snaps and targets is a direct result of his half-### blocking ability.

We start two TEs, Gates is my #1 but I'm either going with Myers or Celek until Cook can prove otherwise.

ETA: This is a Dynasty so dropping him is not an option in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
We start two TEs, Gates is my #1 but I'm either going with Myers or Celek until Cook can prove otherwise.

Not sure why you'd consider Myers over Cook. He has been even worse over these last few games.

Not sure why you'd consider Myers over Cook. He has been even worse over these last few games.
Let me make it clearer Celek is my favorite this week but I have Myers in the wings too if the match is favorable. (I should have worded it differently)

Agreed. If it helps your thought process, I dropped Myers yesterday for Celek. Cook is going to the bench.

Let me make it clearer Celek is my favorite this week but I have Myers in the wings too if the match is favorable. (I should have worded it differently)
Ahhh that makes more sense. Cook has a pretty terrible matchup this week too against an angry Texans team. Not sure how much time Bradford will spend upright with Watt tearing up the field.

The Rams have one of the highest pass to run ratios in the league. Why would they bench Cook for poor blocking? Get him on the ####### field.

Droppable in redraft. What's the thought in dynasty?
He was dropped in a 10-team dynasty PPR league this week. Thing is, he's not worth dropping any of my other TEs to pick up, IMO (Olsen, Clay, Reed).
Cook owner in my league just dropped him after trading for my backup TE Clay. Now I'm wondering if Cook is worth picking up, having to drop my TE3 Fleener?
Ask yourself if Schottenheimer is capable of learning (or will get fired this year), and that answers your question.

The Rams have one of the highest pass to run ratios in the league. Why would they bench Cook for poor blocking? Get him on the ####### field.
He's benched for poor blocking as they're clearly looking to establish Zac Stacy (who, surprising to me, has looked very solid the last 2 weeks averaging 4.9 ypc)

The Rams are 2-0 the last 2 weeks so until they fall well behind, which is bound to happen, expect to see a healthy dose of Stacy. Stacy has a tough task this weekend vs. one of the top front 7's in the league.

---------------------------

PPR Dynasty: Probably not hurting anything keeping as a TE2. Not someone I'd be shy about cutting either.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's one of the best most inconsistent players.

I don't know where the original thread is but I'd bet the same stuff we say today is the same things we said years ago.

Rookies are inconsistent and somehow mature where from year two or three forward, they are reliable. Cook is one of those whose play just never has matured, never hit that point.

I see Craig's post above. He was taught by Munchak how to block and Fisher was all over him 100 years ago in Tennessee. He would become a fantastic blocker in the open field (99% sure Bob Magaw pointed this out in a Rams thread years ago too) but one or two plays later, it's like the guy never blocked in his life.

He can make a fingertip grab and have OMG hands and then drop a gimme right to him. 

Adams drove me nuts watching him last year. You could tell Rodgers was frustrated at times with just about everyone. I really wonder about adding mister inconsistency here. 

Will Adams drop one, Cook drop one, and then Rodgers just throw to Jordy 20 times in a row like "I only trust you man!"

His athleticism and being a 'weapon' for Rodgers I get, but otherwise he's a real curious add for a team that looked so frustrated with their O at times last year.

TE position on the Packers must be one of the biggest teases in the last 10 years. Great offense, anyone with just minimal talent will be a monster but never pans out.

What are the other tease positions out there? NYG RB?

FreshiZ said:
TE position on the Packers must be one of the biggest teases in the last 10 years. Great offense, anyone with just minimal talent will be a monster but never pans out.

What are the other tease positions out there? NYG RB?
New England WR.

Miami QB.

Anything in Cleveland.

According to Wes Hodkiewicz of the Packers' official website, Jared Cook has "developed a rapport" with Aaron Rodgers the past two weeks.
Cook was activated from the PUP list two weeks ago from today, and in his first practice with the team, he and Rodgers hooked up for numerous touchdowns in team drills. Hodkiewicz also reports Cook has "caught everything" in practice. Cook has a good chance to set or come close to career-best marks in Green Bay, especially with touchdowns. His current career-high is five.

Source: packers.com 
Aug 23 - 8:53 PM

Quick is looking awesome and should be starting on the outside. If not game 1, then very soon. He's 6'4 225 and has a huge ceiling. I'm still trying to figure out how D's are going to cover the Rams WR's and Te's.

Givens (outside WR) - very fast outside receiver who in his 2nd year, looks very legit

Quick (outside WR)- 6-4 225. Fast, athletic and strong. Another 2nd year receiver who could burst on the scene this year.

Austin (slot) - one word... Dynamic

Cook (slot) - Huge, athletic TE who may thrive with Bradford and the Rams offense.

Speed everywhere. Who will teams' #1 CB cover? Who will they double team? Will they put a LB on Cook? Who covers Tavon? Looks like mis-match nightmares all over the field. GSOT #2?
Also this is a classic example of why we should never get too excited about anything for fantasy. Teams definitely found a way to cover those guys. 

2 words stopped the Rams offense....Jeff Fisher 
Agreed - Green Bay is a much different offense, and Rodgers does look for the TE in the end zone.

i think there's some potential for fire with the smoke we've been smelling lately....

nothing more than a flier on a 2nd TE assuming you got an elite or mid-range option, but if you stuck out on your top 12-14 targets (hey, it happens) it's an easy low risk end of draft upside play. 

Ps - please dear lord don't let me have to draft him. 

Users who are viewing this thread