What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jason Worilds (1 Viewer)

RushHour

Footballguy
Worilds had a big game last week and, while inconsistent, has put up some pretty decent numbers, especially as a pass rusher.

Yet I haven't seen any talk about him or seen him high in any rankings, even though he has Miami up this week and the potential to get a sack or two. Is that because of the possibility that Woodley might come back this week? It seemed like he was a full time player for the most part, even with Woodley there.

I think any edge rusher is a good start against miami.

I'll pass this along from profootballfocus, though, for whatever it's worth

Maybe He’s Just a Leftie?

Jason Worilds never looked like much playing at ROLB for the Steelers. His pass rush was usually absent and he wasn’t really making an impact in any other area on a consistent basis. In 2010 and 2011 when he saw the majority of his playing time coming from the left side, he graded positively on a regular basis, but in the dozen games in 2012 and 2013 in which he was playing ROLB he earned just one game graded in the green. Since injuries forced the Steelers to flip him again to the left side, however, he has notched games of +2.3, +4.5 and +3.1 grades overall in sequence. This game saw him notch a sack, a knockdown and a hurry as well as make a real impact in the run game, powering inside Ed Dixon in particular on a couple of occasions to stuff plays in the backfield. Coming at the right time, this is the best three-game stretch of Worilds’ career. If he can ride this momentum down the stretch then he might find an entirely different career path than had he continued to struggle on the right.
also, bear in mind that cle has a pretty terrible RT, and balt isn't all that great on that side, either -- I don't think, anyway.

pretty sure balt has given up quite a few sacks -- maybe around 4th most.

I was reading some pitt blogging and tomlin was quoted as praising worilds, but it made it sound like there was some uncertainty as to how to best use these guys.

I think woodley even mentioned that he had no problem moving to the other side, which he probably wouldn't think to mention if somebody else hadn't brought it up first.

He's a great athlete. This past game he looked like he was shot out of a cannon. My only concern is once Bal focused on him he was shutdown for the rest of the game production wise.

Woodley starting on the left side week 14. :kicksrock:

(KFFL)Pittsburgh Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley (calf) said he will start at left outside linebacker even though LB Jason Worilds has played well at the position while he has been sidelined.

he's a jerk. i sat on him for maybe three years while he waited for his shot. he stunk it up long enough that i dropped him. now he suddenly gets productive? jerk.

saintfool said:
he's a jerk. i sat on him for maybe three years while he waited for his shot. he stunk it up long enough that i dropped him. now he suddenly gets productive? jerk.
Maybe it took him some time to perfect his craft

LaMarr Woodley alternated with Jarvis Jones at right outside linebacker as the Steelers eased him back into action following a three-game absence because of a calf injury. Woodley moved to the right side so Jason Worilds could stay at left outside linebacker, and the latter had another monster game with a pair of sacks, eight tackles, including three for a loss, and two quarterback hurries

This past game he looked like he was shot out of a cannon.
He seriously always has. The one thing Worilds has had in spades since his Va. Tech days is that crazy first step.

He's gotten the jerk is more like it. A little at least.

Guy was brought in as what the Steelers hoped would be an eventual replacement for James Harrison....but then Harrison held on a season or two longer than I think they anticipated he might, given his back issues/etc. Either way, in Worilds' handful of starts over his first few years he proved that he could get after the passer, but he also proved that he was far, FAR more productive when playing on the left side.

The rub there was that within that time frame they Steelers had given LaMarr Woodley an enormous contract,which he promptly used to eat himself to Michelin Man-esque proportions. That actually wound up getting JW on the field at Sam for more than a few snaps for the first time, as Woodely started getting "out of shape, fat guy injuries"(hamstrings, groins, etc). Worilds wasn't a Pro Bowler or anything, but when put out there at the Sam he was almost always productive and that first step was apparent, even when he'd look overmatched, or would overrun plays. He really just needed more reps. With Woodley's contract though, he wasn't getting benched once he'd return healthy.

Worilds is another guy who is sort of a microcosm of what the Steelers organization needs to change about "how they do business" a bit. They almost NEVER allow rookies to play much on defense, citing "how difficult it is to grasp LeBeau's scheme" (While that may be true, it's football....how hard can it be? I digress). By doing that, they fall into the trap of never letting their young talent fully develop until around year 3....just in time for them to hit FA. As they are almost always running a knife's blade under the cap, because of past contracts to their now aging core, any guy like Worilds(or, say, Keenan Lewis before him) basically prices themselves out of the Steelers plans just by finally getting consistent PT. Worilds has stated that the sporadic nature of his PT really kicked him in the nuts as far as getting a good feel for the scheme, FWIW. He's finally feeling comfortable and it shows.

Word around the twittersphere from beat types is that the team reeeeeally wants to retain him going forward(hence the talk of moving Woodley over to the right side) and I think they'd probably even cut Woodley to do it....if it weren't for that albatross contract. They just can't do it yet and it'll likely wind up costing them the guy who looks to be the superior player at this stage.

So it looks like the NFL took away 1 of his 2 sacks from week 14 and I went from winning the matchup by a few points to losing.

That's crazy you lost because of that - ugh.

Amazed I was able to drop Woodley and pick Worids back up clearing waivers. Only 4 teams left in the playoffs might be the reason. Anyway, he's IN.

Well, he came crashing back to Earth rather hard last night. Anybody sticking with him if you're still alive for Week 16?

Well, he came crashing back to Earth rather hard last night. Anybody sticking with him if you're still alive for Week 16?
Watching the game, I thought he did a great job of getting pressure. Just didn't get home as Dalton got rid of it quickly all night.

Watching the game, I thought he did a great job of getting pressure. Just didn't get home as Dalton got rid of it quickly all night.
Pretty much this.

He was getting into the backfield, but wasn't able to finish. Dalton was unloading in a hurry. His release is actually pretty quick in general. It's one of the reasons why, as mentioned, Cincy isn't the greatest matchup for pass rushers.

haha...people are so fickle

to piggyback on what finkle said a little, I think I was reading something over on pff the other day about how dalton had one of the quicker releases in the league.

If Briggs is active and looks like he'll play the majority of snaps, I think I'm gonna have to sit Worilds in favor of him. I need tackle production more than I need big plays.

Users who are viewing this thread