What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Javon Walker demands trade (2 Viewers)

haha fav-re should have kept his big mouth shut.
Maybe you should do the same, it would save us all from having to read this type of ignorance.
haha disgruntled packer fans, gotta love it. Fav-re should have kept his big trap shut and you know it.
Disgruntled...not at all...except at the ignorant musing of a fool like you.Favre's comments had little to nothing to do with this. Try again.
:rolleyes: sounds like more than little to nothing. I know Fav-re can do no wrong your right.
Favre offended Walker when he spoke out against the receiver in his contract dispute, saying he should come to training camp and not hold out. (Walker heeded the advice.) Walker believes Favre's comments made living and working in Wisconsin difficult; Walker tells of one instance when he was in a hotel and an employee announced his presence on an Internet message board for "anyone who had something to say to Javon Walker." It also angered Walker that the team allowed its iconic quarterback to interfere publicly in a teammate's business with management. He held his tongue all year.

"There's an unwritten rule that players stick together," said Walker, still biting his tongue on Favre for the most part.

This is bad news for the Packers. Walker was on a path to stardom before his injury and could have fetched a pretty penny in a trade. I'm not sure what I would do if I was the Packers GM. I guess I'd call his bluff, but if some team offers a good deal they would have to consider moving him. Could they get a 2nd rounder for him at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Driver is 31.

Walker says he's out of GB.

Ferguson is habitually hurt.

Chatman is called subpar, released.

Murphy's injury likely career ending.

Not good.

If Walker leaves, is Ferguson WR2 for 2006?
Are you asking for the Packers or for fantasy? Maybe for the Packers....no way for fantasy.
Donald Driver = WR1Rod Gardner = WR2

Robert Ferguson = WR3

But back to the original topic. What teams would want/need him?

NE?

MIA?

BUF?

PIT?

CLE?

TEN?

HOU?

DEN?

KC?

SD?

NYG?

PHI?

ATL?

SEA?

SF?

Surely we can whittle down a smaller list.

My top 5:

1) Kansas City

2) San Diego

3) Denver

4) N.Y. Giants

5) Philadelphia
You may be able to add Tampa to that list. Mel Kipper did have the Buc's drafting Santonio Holmes in one of his initial mocks. And they are reportedly 10 mil under the cap.

if Walker leaves,

Favre = done

:2cents:
Most likely.and sad to say, may not be a bad thing. If his heart is not in it anyway...let the team reload with that money.

$40 mil in cap space about it Favre is gone...add in a trade for something with Walker....bring in a veteran QB (Brees possibly, though not if the price is as high as i think it will end up)....resign Gardner, draft a WR or go after someone....not looking as dire as it may seem. Though still alot of work to be done.

This is bad news for the Packers. Walker was on a path to stardom before his injury and could have fetched a pretty penny in a trade. I'm not sure what I would do if I was the Packers GM. I guess I'd call his bluff, but if some team offers a good deal they would have to consider moving him.
Bingo...Id say a high 2nd rounder at minimum...

This is so easy. Now that there is cap room, DEN trades one of its first rounders to GB for Walker. DEN gets the #1 WR its so desperately needs and is certainly safer than letting Shanahan burn a draft pick trying to find a WR (and he sucks at drafting WRs - actually saying he sucks at it is probably being too kind), and GB gets a #1 pick for a WR that has become a huge headache for them and may not play - then goes & gets a WR in FA and uses the draft pick on D.

Both teams come up with a huge win for their side.

Naaaaaaaah - that would just make too much sense.
:goodposting: this does make a lot of sense for both sides.

Let me throw out for discussion Dallas being interested in Walker.

Parcells and Jones have both indicated in the last week that the Boys are looking at FA WRs. Dallas clearly needs to add youth to the position and its not likely to be from an early draft pick.

Its not inconceivable that the well-publisized lunch between the Tuna and Rosenhaus at the Combine was about Walker, not TO.

Dallas has plenty of cap room to renegotiate a deal with Walker.

They only question would be the cost. I doubt Dallas would send #18 pick for him. I'm not sure #49 is enough value to Green Bay. Perhaps bring in a 2007 draft pick. Dunno.

Thoughts?

haha fav-re should have kept his big mouth shut.
Maybe you should do the same, it would save us all from having to read this type of ignorance.
haha disgruntled packer fans, gotta love it. Fav-re should have kept his big trap shut and you know it.
Disgruntled...not at all...except at the ignorant musing of a fool like you.Favre's comments had little to nothing to do with this. Try again.
:rolleyes: sounds like more than little to nothing. I know Fav-re can do no wrong your right.
Favre offended Walker when he spoke out against the receiver in his contract dispute, saying he should come to training camp and not hold out. (Walker heeded the advice.) Walker believes Favre's comments made living and working in Wisconsin difficult; Walker tells of one instance when he was in a hotel and an employee announced his presence on an Internet message board for "anyone who had something to say to Javon Walker." It also angered Walker that the team allowed its iconic quarterback to interfere publicly in a teammate's business with management. He held his tongue all year.

"There's an unwritten rule that players stick together," said Walker, still biting his tongue on Favre for the most part.
Walker alienated the fans long before Favre opened his mouth (agreed that he shouldn't have). He made his own bed when he started hanging out with T.O., hired the agent everyone loves to hate, and threated to hold out with less than one remaining on his contract when everyone knows the Packer's policy on that. He's looking for a scapegoat in Favre because it didn't work out the way he wanted it to.

Its not inconceivable that the well-publisized lunch between the Tuna and Rosenhaus at the Combine was about Walker, not TO.

Thoughts?
Rosenhaus isn't Walker's agent anymore.

You know what Walker should do? He should just suck it up and play. Put his Pro Bowl career on line line for far less than he should be making and hope he doesn't get hurt...oh i'm sorry that was last year. I don't have a problem with a player who is outperforming their ROOKIE contract wanting to renegotiate...those contracts are basically slotted by position anyway...it's not his fault he was taken at the bottom of the first but was performing like a top 5 pick...

What I'm saying is all the people that make the blanket statement that "The player agreed to the contract....can't they read....they should live up to their agreement" BS.....clearly has no idea how the NFL works.
I could say the same about you given the nature of your last 2 posts.
Care to elaborate Pony Girl?

You know what Walker should do? He should just suck it up and play. Put his Pro Bowl career on line line for far less than he should be making and hope he doesn't get hurt...oh i'm sorry that was last year. I don't have a problem with a player who is outperforming their ROOKIE contract wanting to renegotiate...those contracts are basically slotted by position anyway...it's not his fault he was taken at the bottom of the first but was performing like a top 5 pick...
Did you bother reading any of this? We all agree he desereved a raise. However, there's a right way and a wrong way to ask for it. He chose the wrong way, he now pays the price. Sorry, he only has himself to blame.

What I'm saying is all the people that make the blanket statement that "The player agreed to the contract....can't they read....they should live up to their agreement" BS.....clearly has no idea how the NFL works.
Wow. Condescending despite not understanding either the fundamentals of how a contract works or how the CBA works, and name calling to boot.That's a pretty solid effort there.

Wow. Condescending despite not understanding either tyhe fundamentals of how a contract works or how the CBA works, and name calling to boot.That's a pretty solid effort there.
I do what I can.

How long until Favre, still "contemplating retirement", makes his opinions known about what Walker is doing? Seems to me that, considering the harm he did last year, he's the one who could do the most good to smooth this one over.

Favre offended Walker when he spoke out against the receiver in his contract dispute, saying he should come to training camp and not hold out. (Walker heeded the advice.) Walker believes Favre's comments made living and working in Wisconsin difficult; Walker tells of one instance when he was in a hotel and an employee announced his presence on an Internet message board for "anyone who had something to say to Javon Walker." It also angered Walker that the team allowed its iconic quarterback to interfere publicly in a teammate's business with management. He held his tongue all year."There's an unwritten rule that players stick together," said Walker, still biting his tongue on Favre for the most part.

Pretty broad diversity of opinions.

There is no way Walker plays for GB ever again. From his persective, right or wrong, he bypassed a big payday via a restructured contract last year due to pressure from Favre and the unfair stance of management. And by giving in to their demands, he has now cost himself tons of cash. That's a lot of bad blood and I don't doubt that Jevon would sit the year or retire rather than be on the field with Favre.

As for other players that have forced trades/releases, a couple of recent examples:

- L. Coles

- Meshawn

- LaVar Arrington

I love it when guys holdout.....shows their true colors. You signed a contract to work for your employer. It doesnt matter what you do while your in that contract, you get compensated for what you signed for.

Just because Walker outperformed his contract doesnt mean the team should reward him. Would they have been smart to do so? Without a doubt. But giving in to an employee one time has two distinct consequences.

1. It says your a weak entity as an employer. I know that the team can cut a player @ anytime.....but until Javon wants to become an owner or GM, thats how this game is played. So if every team gave into every players contract demands, then the players would run the asylum. Sorry, but the Employer runs the employee, not the other way around.

2. Also, giving into one guys demands means that you will have every player who thinks too highly of himself, which is 80% of NFL skill position players, demanding new deals.

The only way to stop this crap is to do 2 things.....

1. Every player plays on a 1-year deal.....no long term securuity for the player, but he gets to get rewarded after every great season he has. On the flip side, one bad injury and he could never see his big payday.

2. Take the agents out of the equation.....make players do their own bargaining. That would alleviate the antics like we say with Rosenhaus. Players also wouldnt have to play a certian % to an agent when they get paid.

Until Javon Walker becomes the employer, he needs to, as Favre said, shut up and play.

This is so easy. Now that there is cap room, DEN trades one of its first rounders to GB for Walker. DEN gets the #1 WR its so desperately needs and is certainly safer than letting Shanahan burn a draft pick trying to find a WR (and he sucks at drafting WRs - actually saying he sucks at it is probably being too kind), and GB gets a #1 pick for a WR that has become a huge headache for them and may not play - then goes & gets a WR in FA and uses the draft pick on D.

Both teams come up with a huge win for their side.

Naaaaaaaah - that would just make too much sense.
As a Broncos fan, this is a lot more appealing than snagging T.O. :excited: :thumbup:

I guess last year's off season taught Walker nothing.
Are you kidding me? Walker turned out to be 100% correct last offseason.This is one instance where I actually don't blame the player one bit.

And now, in addition to being a lousy quarterback, Brett Favre has established himself as a lousy teammate. I didn't agree with Walker's holdout at the time, but I definitely didn't agree with Favre sticking his nose in it.
You are the one joking, no? Give me a list of players that "demanded" a trade that actually got one. Give me a list of teams that fall prey to such demands as well. Walker was 100% wrong. He had 2 years last year, we are now in the beginning stages of free agency and instead of coming to the table he is throwing hot air around like no other. Did the CBA just not get agreed on? Did free agency just not start? Walker has one year left and was told last year that they talk when they are down to one year. Did this not sink in his head? The people on this board who are all about "the players" need some of their heads examined. The owners could close up shop tomorrow and these players would be where exactly? They have it good, and it is about time the minority of those players realize that.
Well, Coles, got a trade that he'd asked for last season. You're probably about to see the same thing happen with Culpepper. So I guess your list of teams that would oblige these players would at least include the Redskins, and potentially the Vikings as well.Walker wanted a new contract, in part because he could get seriously injured and never get a chance to cash in. Which is exactly what happened. How would that make him "100% wrong?"

And I clearly stated that I didn't agree with Walker's holdout at the time. But given the course of events, it seems his concerns were valid. I still don't side with anyone who does not honor a contract they've signed, but obviously in Walker's case, if you put yourself in his shoes, you can see how he'd be a bit bitter about this mess.

Obviously, Walker saw this work for McKenzie and is trying the same thing. The problem is, weak-willed Sherman is no longer the GM.

There's a new sheriff in town...

I love it when guys holdout.....shows their true colors. You signed a contract to work for your employer. It doesnt matter what you do while your in that contract, you get compensated for what you signed for.

Just because Walker outperformed his contract doesnt mean the team should reward him. Would they have been smart to do so? Without a doubt. But giving in to an employee one time has two distinct consequences.

1. It says your a weak entity as an employer. I know that the team can cut a player @ anytime.....but until Javon wants to become an owner or GM, thats how this game is played. So if every team gave into every players contract demands, then the players would run the asylum. Sorry, but the Employer runs the employee, not the other way around.

2. Also, giving into one guys demands means that you will have every player who thinks too highly of himself, which is 80% of NFL skill position players, demanding new deals.

1. Every player plays on a 1-year deal.....no long term securuity for the player, but he gets to get rewarded after every great season he has. On the flip side, one bad injury and he could never see his big payday.

2. Take the agents out of the equation.....make players do their own bargaining. That would alleviate the antics like we say with Rosenhaus. Players also wouldnt have to play a certian % to an agent when they get paid.

Until Javon Walker becomes the employer, he needs to, as Favre said, shut up and play.
Given how teams like GB have "shown their true colors" by cutting players before their contract is up, and by forcing players to renegotiate deals, I've got no problem with players not respecting the sanctity of their contracts either.

Given how teams like GB have "shown their true colors" by cutting players before their contract is up, and by forcing players to renegotiate deals, I've got no problem with players not respecting the sanctity of their contracts either.
They are the employer its their right.........if and when Javon gets in a position of power he can do what he wants, as it stands now he is subordinate to them as an employee.

They are the employer its their right.........if and when Javon gets in a position of power he can do what he wants, as it stands now he is subordinate to them as an employee.
yup, and it's the employee's right to decide whether or not he wants to work for said employer.If the packers are hell-bent on enforcing the "sanctity" of an NFL contract, then it's also within his rights to halfass his job til he gets released or becomes a free agent.

I love it when guys holdout.....shows their true colors.  You signed a contract to work for your employer.  It doesnt matter what you do while your in that contract, you get compensated for what you signed for.

Just because Walker outperformed his contract doesnt mean the team should reward him.  Would they have been smart to do so?  Without a doubt.  But giving in to an employee one time has two distinct consequences.

1.  It says your a weak entity as an employer.  I know that the team can cut a player @ anytime.....but until Javon wants to become an owner or GM, thats how this game is played.  So if every team gave into every players contract demands, then the players would run the asylum.  Sorry, but the Employer runs the employee, not the other way around.

2.  Also, giving into one guys demands means that you will have every player who thinks too highly of himself, which is 80% of NFL skill position players, demanding new deals.

1.  Every player plays on a 1-year deal.....no long term securuity for the player, but he gets to get rewarded after every great season he has.  On the flip side, one bad injury and he could never see his big payday.

2.  Take the agents out of the equation.....make players do their own bargaining.  That would alleviate the antics like we say with Rosenhaus.  Players also wouldnt have to play a certian % to an agent when they get paid.

I'm an employer and you are 100% wrong. An organization is only as good as its employees. Treating my employees with respect, praising their solid performance and reaching into my pocket when they do a great job are all things that get reciprocated. This is especially true of top salespeople who could go elsewhere for at least the same, but usually more, money. The employees make the employer, not vice versa.Having said the above, it is safe to say that there many, MANY ways that the economics of the NFL are different from those of the conventional business, so any comparison is weak.

I love it when guys holdout.....shows their true colors.  You signed a contract to work for your employer.  It doesnt matter what you do while your in that contract, you get compensated for what you signed for.

Just because Walker outperformed his contract doesnt mean the team should reward him.  Would they have been smart to do so?  Without a doubt.  But giving in to an employee one time has two distinct consequences.

1.  It says your a weak entity as an employer.  I know that the team can cut a player @ anytime.....but until Javon wants to become an owner or GM, thats how this game is played.  So if every team gave into every players contract demands, then the players would run the asylum.  Sorry, but the Employer runs the employee, not the other way around.

2.  Also, giving into one guys demands means that you will have every player who thinks too highly of himself, which is 80% of NFL skill position players, demanding new deals.

1.  Every player plays on a 1-year deal.....no long term securuity for the player, but he gets to get rewarded after every great season he has.  On the flip side, one bad injury and he could never see his big payday.

2.  Take the agents out of the equation.....make players do their own bargaining.  That would alleviate the antics like we say with Rosenhaus.  Players also wouldnt have to play a certian % to an agent when they get paid.

How teams like GB...I didn't realize GB did this more than other teams. Link???

Dude, what the hell is your avatar? :D

Didn't Ownes make some comment about IF Farve were the Philly Qb he would have the Eagles would have been much better.

Seems the stars are aligned

Some dumba** doing a flaming shot and not blowing it out before he slam's it down. It's much funnier full screen.

Didn't Ownes make some comment about IF Farve were the Philly Qb he would have the Eagles would have been much better.

Seems the stars are aligned
No, Michael Irvin made the comment. TO was asked about it and was an idiot in answering.

Some dumba** doing a flaming shot and not blowing it out before he slam's it down. It's much funnier full screen.
link?

link?
http://haacked.com/images/FlamingDrink.gif

Given how players like Javon Walker belong to a union that negotiated the deal allowing teams to do such things, I do not feel sorry for them one bit.

As a Bears fan, this makes me very happy. One less pro-bowl WR for the Bears to worry about. Tough loss Packer fans, he could have been a great one for ya... ;)

I think Rosenhaus monitors this board. When it's been X amount of days since his clients were prevalent, he stirs things up.

You ever hear of being cut? Guess that's ownership showing their true colors.

You ever hear of being cut? Guess that's ownership showing their true colors.
Not the owners fault (totally) that the players agreed to the current system by being a part of the NFLPA which negotiated the agreement.

I think Rosenhaus monitors this board. When it's been X amount of days since his clients were prevalent, he stirs things up.
I don't think Walker is a Rosenhaus client any more.
Walker said he's expressed his feelings to new Packers coach Mike McCarthy, while his agent, CSMG Sports' Kennard McGuire, has asked general manager Ted Thompson, as did former Walker agent Drew Rosenhaus, to deal Walker or allow them to pursue a trade.

Although it is unfortunate he even had to resort to this, I like Ted Thompson's short, straightforward statement:

During his time as a Green Bay Packer, Javon Walker has been well thought of by everyone here. I like Javon, certainly as a person and as a player.

That said, Javon is under contract, which he signed as a 2002 first-round draft choice. That contract is governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which was negotiated between the National Football League and the National Football League Players’ Association, and we expect him to honor it.

There have been several highly publicized cases of player discontent in the National Football League. I don’t anticipate us making any concessions in this matter.

We will continue to stay the course, and the Green Bay Packers will have no further comment on this topic.
packers.com

I know I know it would never happen, but Id LOVE to see him in a 9er jersey next year. And not just buying and wearing one, but actually signing and playing for the 49ers.

Hes young, the 49ers are young, A Smith could use a playmaker, and it would only help Lloyd having a WR of Walkers caliber on the other side.

Hey I can wish cant I?

Although it is unfortunate he even had to resort to this, I like Ted Thompson's short, straightforward statement:

During his time as a Green Bay Packer, Javon Walker has been well thought of by everyone here. I like Javon, certainly as a person and as a player.

That said, Javon is under contract, which he signed as a 2002 first-round draft choice. That contract is governed by the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which was negotiated between the National Football League and the National Football League Players’ Association, and we expect him to honor it.

There have been several highly publicized cases of player discontent in the National Football League. I don’t anticipate us making any concessions in this matter.

We will continue to stay the course, and the Green Bay Packers will have no further comment on this topic.
packers.com
I love it!!! :banned:

I know I know it would never happen, but Id LOVE to see him in a 9er jersey next year. And not just buying and wearing one, but actually signing and playing for the 49ers.

Hes young, the 49ers are young, A Smith could use a playmaker, and it would only help Lloyd having a WR of Walkers caliber on the other side.

Hey I can wish cant I?
It's a strong possibility Lloyd will be on the Redskins soon. Apparently the teams are working out the details of a deal:Redskins | Team working to acquire Lloyd

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:23:05 -0800

Jason La Canfora, of the Washington Post, reports the Washington Redskins are working to acquire restricted free agent WR Brandon Lloyd from the San Francisco 49ers, according to several league sources. According to sources, the two sides were working on parameters for a deal, but had yet to agree on compensation.

What a knob.

Walker is trying to force the Packers’ hand by going public with his discontent, but to do so he also has to threaten to set back his own career and walk away from a $1.15 million salary this year just to avoid playing for the Packers.

“If I had to go back there, I’d retire,” Walker said. “I don’t have to play.”

Users who are viewing this thread