What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Javon Walker demands trade (1 Viewer)

Okay.... my new money is on the Eagles.
Philadelphia radio guy Sonny Hill is reportedly saying the Eagles have offered Hollis Thomas and a 3rd round pick for Walker.
I don't know if this has any validity to it, BUT Sonny Hill has about as much of an NFL connection as you or I. If you want to know who the best point guard in Big 5 history was, or which Lasalle team had the best season prior to the shot clock, Sonny Hill is your man. If you want to talk about current sports and anything not involving a basketball, Sonny = :no:

Sonny Hill's "Living Room" is one of the most painful pieces of dreg that WIP puts on the radio. That is all.
:goodposting: Sonny is a really nice guy, or so it seems, but listening to him for more than 13.5 seconds is akin to looking inside the Lost Ark of the Covenant.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb on this one at all.

I predict Javon will end up in Washington along with Terrell Owens.
Moss, Randle El, Lloyd, plus TO and Walker? A very frightening prospect, but equally unlikely. Plus WIP rumors (which probably means it is 99% likely wrong) have TO interested in going to Dallas.

Moss, Randle El, Lloyd, plus TO and Walker? A very frightening prospect, but equally unlikely. Plus WIP rumors (which probably means it is 99% likely wrong) have TO interested in going to Dallas.
My post was :sarcasm:

Sorry. It is late, and I'm a dope. Feel free to flog me.

Sure it was, Bears fan. What you probably wanted was TO to end up in GB with Walker.Sad state of affairs in Packer land. All indications point towards a rebuilding season.

Packers | J. Walker selling his house; preparing to move on

Sun, 26 Mar 2006 05:39:51 -0800

Ron Borges, of the Boston Globe, reports the Green Bay Packers opened their offseason workout program without unhappy WR Javon Walker, who put his house up for sale in Green Bay the day after the workouts began and enlisted the help of his parents to clean it out. Walker claims he'd rather retire than play a fifth season for the Packers. Green Bay is insisting it will not trade him.

To everyone,

Don't waste your precious time guessing where Walker might be traded to. He is not going anywhere. My gut feeling tells me that Ted Thompson would have given him a nice contract extension if Walker proved that he was back in top-notch shape in during 1st 4-6 games of this upcoming season. But Walker blew it big time by whining so he either has to stick with his word and rot in his house or swallow his pride for 2nd time and play at Frozen Tundra.

Doesn't he only have to swallow his pride and play the last six games of the season for the Pack while creating a bit of a distraction for the new regime up there? GB should entertain reasonable offers at least through the draft to get rid of this headache since they are rebuilding anyway. GB would have much more leverage if he was not in the final year of his deal, but as it stands GB could be looking at a prolonged headache with nothing to show for it after 2006.

Sad state of affairs in Packer land. All indications point towards a rebuilding season.
:no:

Just to play devil's advocate, I dragged up this article from last year. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=333084 (bottom of the page)

Shark never sleeps

Agent Drew Rosenhaus has been making national television and radio appearances this summer, trying to make the case for some of his National Football League clients whose contracts he wants to renegotiate.

Besides Green Bay's Javon Walker, another Rosenhaus client is Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who wants to renegotiate his contract. Boldin missed an earlier minicamp but made the most recent one and plans to participate in the regular July camp.

In an interview aired Thursday on Sirius NFL Radio, Rosenhaus was asked by Gil Brandt: "Do I understand that the Arizona Cardinals are willing to add on or renegotiate Anquan Boldin's contract or give an attempt to do that but Green Bay, with Walker, does not want to talk about a new contract or an extension for him?"

Said Rosenhaus: "I think that's fair. We've had discussions in the past with the Cardinals about Anquan that have been productive and that's one of the reasons why he's working out with his team, while on the other hand, Javon Walker, the Packers have said, 'We're not going to discuss Javon's contract.' And that's why Javon's not there.

"Javon is only making $500,000 this year and he's a fabulous player and we would like to have the opportunity to talk about an extension, which is what we've done for a number of our players in the NFL. And they have been disinterested in doing that so we've elected, if that's the case, to be elsewhere."
The Cardinals played ball with Boldin and now he is a happy camper. The Packers are still refusing to negotiate with Walker despite the fact that the Packers are way below the cap.

All he has to do is play this year and he's a UFA.

If he holds out, he'll just be shooting himself in the foot.
Its that single-digit Wonderlic score showing itself again.We really have no idea what is going on behind the scenes here, but Walker is certainly not helping himself.

All he has to do is play this year and he's a UFA.

If he holds out, he'll just be shooting himself in the foot.
Its that single-digit Wonderlic score showing itself again.We really have no idea what is going on behind the scenes here, but Walker is certainly not helping himself.
He isn't very bright (blunt but true) and he's being poorly advised. The combination is proving to be a deadly one for his career -- unless he believes essentially missing two full seasons in the prime of his career is an intelligent decision.

I've heard some things behind-the-scenes that might explain some of this. Apparently when Walker's in GB he's been a good guy, good teammate and all that. But when he goes home he's being told constantly how great he is and how under-appreciated he is by the Packers. To whit, one family member even went to the Packers and said Walker -- not Favre -- should be the marketing face of the team.

Whether the Packers outright laughed in this person's face or waited until they left is unknown. Either reaction would have been understandable.

I like Javon Walker. I think he is a talented player. But the fact remains he is a No. 1 pick who has had just one season where he performed as a No. 1 pick. He cut a very good deal in his rookie year that paid him more money up front. He's digging himself a hole with the Packers and has no leverage whatsoever. The Packers hold all the cards and it's my hope Thompson tells him to stay home if that's what he wants to do. Unless a team approaches Green Bay with a proven young defensive player or a strong first-round pick I wouldn't trade him. Since I don't expect either one to be offered then he sits.

Sucks to be him.

Doesn't he only have to swallow his pride and play the last six games of the season for the Pack while creating a bit of a distraction for the new regime up there? GB should entertain reasonable offers at least through the draft to get rid of this headache since they are rebuilding anyway. GB would have much more leverage if he was not in the final year of his deal, but as it stands GB could be looking at a prolonged headache with nothing to show for it after 2006.
They still have all the leverage...with things like the franchise tag...it is not as if they will just let this guy go and get nothing.

Just to play devil's advocate, I dragged up this article from last year. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=333084 (bottom of the page)

Shark never sleeps

Agent Drew Rosenhaus has been making national television and radio appearances this summer, trying to make the case for some of his National Football League clients whose contracts he wants to renegotiate.

Besides Green Bay's Javon Walker, another Rosenhaus client is Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin, who wants to renegotiate his contract. Boldin missed an earlier minicamp but made the most recent one and plans to participate in the regular July camp.

In an interview aired Thursday on Sirius NFL Radio, Rosenhaus was asked by Gil Brandt: "Do I understand that the Arizona Cardinals are willing to add on or renegotiate Anquan Boldin's contract or give an attempt to do that but Green Bay, with Walker, does not want to talk about a new contract or an extension for him?"

Said Rosenhaus: "I think that's fair. We've had discussions in the past with the Cardinals about Anquan that have been productive and that's one of the reasons why he's working out with his team, while on the other hand, Javon Walker, the Packers have said, 'We're not going to discuss Javon's contract.' And that's why Javon's not there.

"Javon is only making $500,000 this year and he's a fabulous player and we would like to have the opportunity to talk about an extension, which is what we've done for a number of our players in the NFL. And they have been disinterested in doing that so we've elected, if that's the case, to be elsewhere."
The Cardinals played ball with Boldin and now he is a happy camper. The Packers are still refusing to negotiate with Walker despite the fact that the Packers are way below the cap.
The Packers would have played ball as well. He got hurt...and that is part of the game...but he took his problem public...one big no-no in this situation...and now he has done it twice.And when he first did it...the Packers were not well under the cap.

You can say what you want about Walkers intelligence but I, for one, think this is the most intelligent decision he has made since he signed with the Packers. It makes absolutely no sense for Walker to play this season with no guaranteed money.

People were ridiculing Dante Culpepper for getting injured and having very little guaranteed money in his contract. But fortunately for Dante he makes most of his plays with arm and not with his legs. If he receives another serious injury and his career is deemed to be over, do you think the Packers will give him a nice compensation package before they cut him?

I don’t blame Walker whatsoever for not wanting to play for a team and a QB who is going to leave you hanging out to dry – in more ways than one.

My :2cents:

If he receives another serious injury and his career is deemed to be over, do you think the Packers will give him a nice compensation package before they cut him?
So can the Packers get some of the money back from Walker's first two seasons where he didn't perform at the level of a first-round pick? Just curious.

You can say what you want about Walkers intelligence but I, for one, think this is the most intelligent decision he has made since he signed with the Packers. It makes absolutely no sense for Walker to play this season with no guaranteed money.

People were ridiculing Dante Culpepper for getting injured and having very little guaranteed money in his contract. But fortunately for Dante he makes most of his plays with arm and not with his legs. If he receives another serious injury and his career is deemed to be over, do you think the Packers will give him a nice compensation package before they cut him?

I don’t blame Walker whatsoever for not wanting to play for a team and a QB who is going to leave you hanging out to dry – in more ways than one.

:goodposting: Walker played ball last year after showing his displeasure and GB refusing to renegotiate with him. What did that get him? A torn ACL and no additional money.

If he receives another serious injury and his career is deemed to be over, do you think the Packers will give him a nice compensation package before they cut him?
So can the Packers get some of the money back from Walker's first two seasons where he didn't perform at the level of a first-round pick? Just curious.
Were the Packers hoping for more than 9 TDs in his second year? Are you saying that Reggie Williams, Rashon Woods and more than half the 1st round receivers in the league should be writing cheques right now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Were the Packers hoping for more than 9 TDs in his second year? Are you saying that Reggie Williams, Rashon Woods and more than half the 1st round receivers in the league should be writing cheques right now. :)
Patrick Jeffers once caught 12 TDs in a season. Marc Boerigter once caught 8. How did those guys pan out? Now I think Walker is a more talented player but the point is a high number of TD catches does not a superstar WR make (and Walker has made it clear he believes he is a superstar - hence the desire for superstar money). Walker performed at less than a first-round level in his first two seasons and yet he was well compensated (he received additional compensation as part of his rookie contract, a move the Packers made without hesitation). The Packers did not get money back.

The point is this is the system. If you want to try and buck it, that's fine. That's your right as a player but those crying out for poor Javon last season weren't shedding any tears for the fact he was overpaid in his first two seasons were they? I don't recall that happening. The fact is if Walker had kept his mouth shut the Packers would have rewarded them. That has been their history -- they tend to extend their key players in the final years of their contracts. Walker tried to buck that approach and given how he had no leverage he failed miserably. It is unfortunate that he got hurt but that is part of the game, just as it is part of the game he was not required to give any of his salary back to the Packers in the first two years of his contract.

Patrick Jeffers once caught 12 TDs in a season. Marc Boerigter once caught 8. How did those guys pan out? Now I think Walker is a more talented player but the point is a high number of TD catches does not a superstar WR make (and Walker has made it clear he believes he is a superstar - hence the desire for superstar money).

Walker performed at less than a first-round level in his first two seasons and yet he was well compensated (he received additional compensation as part of his rookie contract, a move the Packers made without hesitation). The Packers did not get money back.

The point is this is the system. If you want to try and buck it, that's fine. That's your right as a player but those crying out for poor Javon last season weren't shedding any tears for the fact he was overpaid in his first two seasons were they? I don't recall that happening. The fact is if Walker had kept his mouth shut the Packers would have rewarded them. That has been their history -- they tend to extend their key players in the final years of their contracts. Walker tried to buck that approach and given how he had no leverage he failed miserably. It is unfortunate that he got hurt but that is part of the game, just as it is part of the game he was not required to give any of his salary back to the Packers in the first two years of his contract.
Sums up the whole argument right here. If players as rookies want to take a TO approach and play on 1 or 2 year contracts that is their right but with that right may come some consequences such as less money when young until proven worthy. Walker messed up and messed up big time. Let the "owner haters" come out or the "pro-player" side of contracts come out as well, but there is no problem here that Walker did not create himself... or with Rosenhaus at this side. Walker's fault game, set, match.

I can't recall a situation where a team was willing to offer a short-term contract to a 1st round pick. Highly drafted rookies really don't have the option of signing short-term deals in the NFL.

Intelligent is airing your grievances in public again...to a team that has already let you know that type of thing will not get you anywhere? And with a knee injury to boot?A very poor bluff of retirement...

QB leaves him hanging out to dry? Yawn.... :rolleyes:

come back when you have more than 2 cents...I would not even call that drivel 2 cents...

:goodposting: Walker played ball last year after showing his displeasure and GB refusing to renegotiate with him. What did that get him? A torn ACL and no additional money.
He played ball and was hurt game one...not much the team can do there...so should they then break the bank for a guy who may not be right...before they know he is right?And airing the problems to the media in the offseason for the second straight year is not playing ball.

I can't recall a situation where a team was willing to offer a short-term contract to a 1st round pick. Highly drafted rookies really don't have the option of signing short-term deals in the NFL.
True, but in Walker's case he wanted more money upfront at the cost of having a longer deal. The Packers were happy to oblige and give the extra money he wanted. I don't recall anyone congratulating them for overpaying Walker in the first two years of his deal or lamenting that they should be receiving money back. And yet people want to rip the Packers apart for not giving him more money last season. I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways. The Packers went the extra mile initially with Walker, giving him more money to satisfy him. All they asked in return is that he honor his contract and when the appropriate time came (i.e. the final year of his deal) he would be rewarded if his performance on the field merited it which was the case. Walker sought to have his cake and eat it too. Again, that's his right but given how he had no leverage whatsoever it was no surprise that he was forced to cave.

What's interesting is how so many people side with Walker and completely ignore the fact he was overpaid in the first two years of his deal and that the Packers agreed to overpay him per his request as part of his rookie contract. I find that quite curious since it is a rather significant aspect in this entire drama.

Correct, and under the CBA the NFLPA has constructed these are the rules that the players play by. Getting more money upfront lessens the later years of said contract, however very few teams have ever renegotiated a contract, let alone, a rookie contract with 2 years remaining.Walker played his 27o with a A,K,Q flop on the board and he goofed up. He is paying for that now.

You can say what you want about Walkers intelligence but I, for one, think this is the most intelligent decision he has made since he signed with the Packers.  It makes absolutely no sense for Walker to play this season with no guaranteed money. 

People were ridiculing Dante Culpepper for getting injured and having very little guaranteed money in his contract.  But fortunately for Dante he makes most of his plays with arm and not with his legs.  If he receives another serious injury and his career is deemed to be over, do you think the Packers will give him a nice compensation package before they cut him?

He played ball and was hurt game one...not much the team can do there...so should they then break the bank for a guy who may not be right...before they know he is right?And airing the problems to the media in the offseason for the second straight year is not playing ball.
Actually, my point is this it may be better for GB to part ways with him and get what they can for him now if they can get a 1st day pick (probably a second rounder). They do not need the headache of a guy going "TO" on them. They saw what that could do to a team last year in Philly. Of course, no one is really crying for Walker either. He did get paid up front. But in his mind GB hasn't done him right by not paying him last year. Walker has his right to complain and he has his right to sit out the first 10 games and not get paid. If he does this he throws away a year of his career and probably hurts his earning potential for the following year. But if he is selling his house in GB maybe he is willing to go this route. By holding on to him GB will get NOTHING but a year of distraction since there is no way they franchise a guy who held out for most of the season. So while letting Walker go may be rewarding his behavior, it may still be best for GB in the long run. Plus, most teams (especially teams like Philly and NE) are not likely to be interested in a guy who acts like TO but doesn't perform like TO, so trade him to an AFC team that stinks and get a decent draft pick for the guy. He will get out of GB but at least they can get him far away from GB.

I really can't understand why he is whinneing this year after his unproductive year last year. I understood his complaint last year and was proud of him for changeing his mind and trying to play. But as it turned out he didn't even earn his 1/2 million. If he wants a big contract it's time to shut up and put out like he did in 2004 and prove he's indeed an elite receiver. If he keeps pouting he's not get anything what he looked like to be worth 2 years ago!

Actually, my point is this it may be better for GB to part ways with him and get what they can for him now if they can get a 1st day pick (probably a second rounder).
IMO He's worth a first if not more

Patrick Jeffers once caught 12 TDs in a season. Marc Boerigter once caught 8. How did those guys pan out? Now I think Walker is a more talented player but the point is a high number of TD catches does not a superstar WR make (and Walker has made it clear he believes he is a superstar - hence the desire for superstar money). 

Walker performed at less than a first-round level in his first two seasons and yet he was well compensated (he received additional compensation as part of his rookie contract, a move the Packers made without hesitation). The Packers did not get money back.

Sums up the whole argument right here. If players as rookies want to take a TO approach and play on 1 or 2 year contracts that is their right but with that right may come some consequences such as less money when young until proven worthy. Walker messed up and messed up big time. Let the "owner haters" come out or the "pro-player" side of contracts come out as well, but there is no problem here that Walker did not create himself... or with Rosenhaus at this side. Walker's fault game, set, match.
Damn :goodposting: If he would have just shut his mouth and went about his business, he would have gotten a nice fat contract extension. It's actually funny hwo stupid he has shown himself to be.

Actually, my point is this it may be better for GB to part ways with him and get what they can for him now if they can get a 1st day pick (probably a second rounder).
He is worth a first if:A. He is fully healthy

B. His 2004 stats tend to be the rule, as opposed to the exception

C. He was willing to play for GB without being a big distraction.

There is no way to tell about A or B, but C appears to not be the case. If Javon is worth more than a first then TO certainly was worth more than a first and what did Philly get for him? A big distraction and then nothing. With the draft coming GB could realize at least some return on Javon for this season or it is possible that they keep him, have a huge distraction all year, and then get nothing ala Philly and TO. GB should take what they can get and cut bait on this guy. I guess their is a chance that GB could win a stare off and get Javon back in the fold for 2006, but it sounds like it is a longshot for him to be happily in the fold and so here you have a possible TO situation again. Javon Walker coming off of an ACL tear isn't worth it IF you can get a second for him now.

He's not TO and hasn't been THAT much of a trouble maker. He's also not the one dimensional fast Patrick Jeffers and Boerighter. I'm drawing a blank. Can someone name a WR holdout please?

I can't recall a situation where a team was willing to offer a short-term contract to a 1st round pick.  Highly drafted rookies really don't have the option of signing short-term deals in the NFL.
True, but in Walker's case he wanted more money upfront at the cost of having a longer deal. The Packers were happy to oblige and give the extra money he wanted. I don't recall anyone congratulating them for overpaying Walker in the first two years of his deal or lamenting that they should be receiving money back. And yet people want to rip the Packers apart for not giving him more money last season. I'm sorry but you can't have it both ways. The Packers went the extra mile initially with Walker, giving him more money to satisfy him. All they asked in return is that he honor his contract and when the appropriate time came (i.e. the final year of his deal) he would be rewarded if his performance on the field merited it which was the case. Walker sought to have his cake and eat it too. Again, that's his right but given how he had no leverage whatsoever it was no surprise that he was forced to cave.

What's interesting is how so many people side with Walker and completely ignore the fact he was overpaid in the first two years of his deal and that the Packers agreed to overpay him per his request as part of his rookie contract. I find that quite curious since it is a rather significant aspect in this entire drama.
The bolded part is what all the Packer bashers keep ignoring, and really is the crux of this whole thing.Be a frigging man and fulfill your end of the deal.

There is no way to tell about A or B, but C appears to not be the case. If Javon is worth more than a first then TO certainly was worth more than a first and what did Philly get for him? A big distraction and then nothing. With the draft coming GB could realize at least some return on Javon for this season or it is possible that they keep him, have a huge distraction all year, and then get nothing ala Philly and TO. GB should take what they can get and cut bait on this guy. I guess their is a chance that GB could win a stare off and get Javon back in the fold for 2006, but it sounds like it is a longshot for him to be happily in the fold and so here you have a possible TO situation again. Javon Walker coming off of an ACL tear isn't worth it IF you can get a second for him now.
How is C relevant if he's traded for a first? I don't get thatI don't think it's that complicated. Some team loved him in the draft but the Pack got him. Watched him develop and still loves his talent. Gms+scouts are "sure" they spotted a gem when they do, it's the nature of the beast. I think he's young enough that they still think about him like that. He's not some longtime veteran.

I really think Farve should shoulder some of the blame for this whole episode, hey if Farve is such a great team guy why is it the whole Green Bay organisation don't have a hells clue what he's doing next season and thus ordering the FO to spend money on free agents.

Who the friggin hell is he to tell them what to do...I'm sorry but him telling the front office what to do through the media stinks of double standards if you ask me. Remember him telling Javon this wasn't the way its done.

At the moment the Green Bay Packers FO don't know what time of day it is, Farve should just retire gracefully.

Oh and with 1 decent WR starter on the Pats team, and 20m in cap space..

How is C relevant if he's traded for a first? I don't get thatI don't think it's that complicated. Some team loved him in the draft but the Pack got him. Watched him develop and still loves his talent. Gms+scouts are "sure" they spotted a gem when they do, it's the nature of the beast. I think he's young enough that they still think about him like that. He's not some longtime veteran.
If you are about to buy a house worth $300,000 dollars, but you know that the owner needs to unload it are you going to offer $300,000? The fact that Javon has tried to be a pain in GB's backside + the fact that the draft is one month away means if GB is wanting to unload it has to be done quickly. Of course they can wait until after the draft, but they would not see anything from the draft picks until after the 2006 season. Coming off an ACL injury and being generally disgruntled a team would be insane to offer a 1st for Javon.

If you are about to buy a house worth $300,000 dollars, but you know that the owner needs to unload it are you going to offer $300,000? 
that assumes one buyer and not a "market"ETA I do see your point though

Last edited by a moderator:
I really think Farve should shoulder some of the blame for this whole episode, hey if Farve is such a great team guy why is it the whole Green Bay organisation don't have a hells clue what he's doing next season and thus ordering the FO to spend money on free agents.

Who the friggin hell is he to tell them what to do...I'm sorry but him telling the front office what to do through the media stinks of double standards if you ask me. Remember him telling Javon this wasn't the way its done.

At the moment the Green Bay Packers FO don't know what time of day it is, Farve should just retire gracefully.

Please post a quote where he told the team what to do...a quote from him...not from Mort paraphrasing thoughts from his agent...but an actual quote from Favre.

Please post a quote where he told the team what to do...a quote from him...not from Mort paraphrasing thoughts from his agent...but an actual quote from Favre.
Brett Favre to Robert Ferguson:
Wash my car you useless #####.

Javon Walker's decision last year to come back to camp before he was granted a new contract was close to the stupidest thing he ever did. The reason it's close is because his injury was only season ending and not career ending.

In the NFL you have to get the money while you're at the top. If he holds out for 1/2 a season, Green Bay trades him or renogotiates (especially with the way their season went).

Favre would look alot less like a shmuk if he came out and publicly apologized for getting involved in another players personal business. I wonder how Favre would have felt if Walker's injury had ended his career. Knowing that the guy had possibly left millions on the table and he was the one that coerced him into doing this.

Favre would look alot less like a shmuk if he came out and publicly apologized for getting involved in another players personal business. I wonder how Favre would have felt if Walker's injury had ended his career. Knowing that the guy had possibly left millions on the table and he was the one that coerced him into doing this.
:lmao: :lmao:

I can't recall a situation where a team was willing to offer a short-term contract to a 1st round pick.  Highly drafted rookies really don't have the option of signing short-term deals in the NFL.
Correct, and under the CBA the NFLPA has constructed these are the rules that the players play by. Getting more money upfront lessens the later years of said contract, however very few teams have ever renegotiated a contract, let alone, a rookie contract with 2 years remaining.Walker played his 27o with a A,K,Q flop on the board and he goofed up. He is paying for that now.
If Green Bay chooses not to deal him all Walker has to do is come back for the final 6 games of the season. If this happens then Green Bay basically gets nothing for him and Walker only looses around 60% of the last year of his contract (a paltry sum compared to what he will be able to renogotiate for next year). Green Bay could franchise him next year, but that means paying huge dollars for someone who's probably going to be a distraction.When players only have a year left on their contract, they have way more leverage than the team does. This is very similar to the Hines Ward situation of a year ago. Despite what Pittsburg may have said publicly, Ward had all the leverage for renogotiating.

If Green Bay chooses not to deal him all Walker has to do is come back for the final 6 games of the season. If this happens then Green Bay basically gets nothing for him and Walker only looses around 60% of the last year of his contract (a paltry sum compared to what he will be able to renogotiate for next year). Green Bay could franchise him next year, but that means paying huge dollars for someone who's probably going to be a distraction.When players only have a year left on their contract, they have way more leverage than the team does. This is very similar to the Hines Ward situation of a year ago. Despite what Pittsburg may have said publicly, Ward had all the leverage for renogotiating.
If you think so.

Users who are viewing this thread