What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeff Janis (1 Viewer)

Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Lacy. No one else matters in the passing game. Not Abberderis, not Janis and not Montgomery.
Janis is better than Adams and will surpass him at some point this year. Mark it.
Which game at SVSU leads you to believe this? Adams looked pretty darn good against Dallas in the playoffs.
I don't watch DIII(?) games, and in general don't pretend to be a scout. He's bigger, faster & has big play ability. Rodgers was most inefficient (based on AYA) when throwing to Adams, that includes Lacy. Just about any 3rd WR would have some good games with Rodgers & Nelson/Cobb.

It's only a matter of time, one injury to top 3 and there is no looking back. Even a few clunkers for Adams and he's going to have some heat on him.
Yet...being bigger and faster and having that big play ability had him drafted where by NFL teams as compared to Adams?

Little bit of crazy going on in this thread. Does Janis have a chance of being really good someday? Of course.

Will Janis take over the #3 WR role this year, bumping aside Adams? Highly unlikely.

Did we see anything last year to tell us Janis has a high likelihood of taking over for Adams this year? Nope.

Drafted higher? Adams

Made big plays in real NFL games? Adams

Visibly earned trust of ARod last year? Adams

Etc etc etc. again, could Janis be the more important player this year? Sure.

Odds that happens? Very very low.

Evidence it will happen? We have none.

Well said.

There is a lot of competition there right now. More good players than I can ever remember.

cr8f said:
Well said.

There is a lot of competition there right now. More good players than I can ever remember.
Just how Thompson and McCarthy like it...competition bringing out the best in people seems to be a thing with them.

Mike McCarthy on practices, rookies and Janis.

On getting Montgomery up to speed... Just sticking to the format in place. We'll have a plan when he gets back here. Stanford on the quarter schedule.

On Janis' development... Jeff Janis has definitely been moving forward. I thought he definitely came on last year. Still some things fundamentally he needs to work on but any time you get reps with the 1's and Aaron Rodgers, it definitely boosts your confidence.

On gauging rookies' progress... The mental, the cohesiveness they're able to perform with their teammates. By position, by group. On a personal level, you're teaching them their job responsibility and things they need to do every day. We've had four practices and they're doing a good job. It usually takes a week or two for your team to learn how to practice. This is a CBA practice, not real football yet.

sho nuff said:
tone1oc said:
Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Lacy. No one else matters in the passing game. Not Abberderis, not Janis and not Montgomery.
Janis is better than Adams and will surpass him at some point this year. Mark it.
Basing this on what?
Opinion
Exactly.. It is just my opinion, perhaps I came a little matter of fact with it. But to me I didn't see anything special with Adams, at all. Perhaps (and likely) it is good enough to entrench himself as the WR3 for the foreseeable future. The relatively poor AYA when throwing to him is evidence that he wasn't anything special and I'd argue that there were probably 10 rookies WRs last year that could of matched or surpassed his production with ~60 targets in that offense.

I don't think there was a situation last season where Janis could of realistically got playing time, based on his draft position. It was and is an uphill battle, but I believe in the talent and the praise that he has continually drawn from coaching staffs.

A realistic situation i'm positing here is that there is an injury to top 3 and Janis gets his opportunity. And when he does, he's going to excel because he's an electric player with a lot of great players around him. If say Adams pulls a hammy and is out for a 2-4 week stretch, I don't think it is crazy to say that Janis could over take him. I really don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
sho nuff said:
tone1oc said:
Basing this on what?
Opinion
Exactly.. It is just my opinion, perhaps I came a little matter of fact with it. But to me I didn't see anything special with Adams, at all. Perhaps (and likely) it is good enough to entrench himself as the WR3 for the foreseeable future. The relatively poor AYA when throwing to him is evidence that he wasn't anything special and I'd argue that there were probably 10 rookies WRs last year that could of matched or surpassed his production with ~60 targets in that offense.I don't think there was a situation last season where Janis could of realistically got playing time, based on his draft position. It was and is an uphill battle, but I believe in the talent and the praise that he has continually drawn from coaching staffs.

A realistic situation i'm positing here is that there is an injury to top 3 and Janis gets his opportunity. And when he does, he's going to excel because he's an electric player with a lot of great players around him. If say Adams pulls a hammy and is out for a 2-4 week stretch, I don't think it is crazy to say that Janis could over take him. I really don't.
I kind of doubt that draft position has much bearing on who plays over who late into the season. Early on, sure, but if Janis was flashing in practice more than Adams all season, he'd be in the game more late in the season.Don't get me wrong, I like Janis and have him stashed in a couple places, but I will give more credence to the guy that got on the field more, caught clutch passes late in games (Miami, NE), and made multiple tough catches and broken tackles in the playoffs.

Also, while Adams is not the 99th percentile athletic freak that Janis is, he has more than good enough size and athleticism.

Draft position certainly matters, and it may be one of the reasons I'm completely wrong. But the guy who is drafted in 2nd round is always going to get the first shot right away over a guy drafted in late rounds. You have to see what you have, and what I saw was a very pedestrian WR that had some moments with pretty good opportunity (63tgts) in a great offense.

He is indeed no slouch athletically, and I was pretty high on him coming into 2014. I've cooled largely because of these numbers...

Rodgers 2014 AYA (> 40tgts)

Jordy Nelson: 11.7

Randall Cobb: 11.5

Eddie Lacy: 9.3

Andrew Quarless: 7.3

Davante Adams: 7.2

Since 2010, only Kuhn, Starks & Boykin have sported a lower AYA than Adams. That's two RBs & a mediocre (albeit serviceable) WR in Boykin. Even James Jones was north of 10 in his 134 targets. The fact that both James Jones & Jarrett Boykin both had varying stretches of fantasy relevance proves that production as WR3 with ARod is very attainable, even for marginal NFL WRs. I think he's definitely better than Boykin but likely just another James Jones.

The question is, will he take a giant step? I don't think so. It will likely still be enough to hold on to the #3 job this year as I said, but in no way does he have an iron grip on it.

Draft position certainly matters, and it may be one of the reasons I'm completely wrong. But the guy who is drafted in 2nd round is always going to get the first shot right away over a guy drafted in late rounds. You have to see what you have, and what I saw was a very pedestrian WR that had some moments with pretty good opportunity (63tgts) in a great offense.

He is indeed no slouch athletically, and I was pretty high on him coming into 2014. I've cooled largely because of these numbers...

Rodgers 2014 AYA (> 40tgts)

Jordy Nelson: 11.7

Randall Cobb: 11.5

Eddie Lacy: 9.3

Andrew Quarless: 7.3

Davante Adams: 7.2

Since 2010, only Kuhn, Starks & Boykin have sported a lower AYA than Adams. That's two RBs & a mediocre (albeit serviceable) WR in Boykin. Even James Jones was north of 10 in his 134 targets. The fact that both James Jones & Jarrett Boykin both had varying stretches of fantasy relevance proves that production as WR3 with ARod is very attainable, even for marginal NFL WRs. I think he's definitely better than Boykin but likely just another James Jones.

The question is, will he take a giant step? I don't think so. It will likely still be enough to hold on to the #3 job this year as I said, but in no way does he have an iron grip on it.
I don't think the AYA stat is any sort of end all be all. It shows he wasn't efficient. I would expect relatively high inefficiency from a rookie who is on the field a ton from his 3rd game on. The fact that he even got on the field so early over other talented wrs is a credit, even if it lowers his metric numbers.

Regardless, I don't want to keep going in circles with the argument, so let's just agree to disagree. I am excited for Adams based on what i saw, and I'm excited to see Janis get a shot.

cr8f said:
Well said.

Just how Thompson and McCarthy like it...competition bringing out the best in people seems to be a thing with them.
Yeah now imagine that Thompson could spot defensive talent.
He can't?

Daniels? Raji? Matthews? Collins?

Hayward? Shields? SHould I keep going?

That it has not always worked is another question...there was also a time that he could not draft an offensive lineman to save his life...

I agree that AYA is by no means an end all be all, but I do feel it has substantial value when applied to elite QBs. To me its a good litmus test because when a player is getting a pass from the best, it establishes a safe baseline and removes most QB variance. If I was comparing AYA of Sammy Watkins with the dumpster fire of QBs & offense it would be pretty useless.

At any rate, agree to disagree and we'll see how it plays out.

cr8f said:
Well said.

He can't?

That it has not always worked is another question...there was also a time that he could not draft an offensive lineman to save his life...
I'll give you Matthews.

cr8f said:
Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.
Shields isn't talented?

Mike Daniels isn't talented?

Nick Collins wasn't talented?

Seriously...you say some crazy things...but man...

cr8f said:
Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.
Shields isn't talented?

Mike Daniels isn't talented?

Yeah, Nick Collins was a stud. Three 2nd team all-pros already under his belt and he was just hitting his prime. Such a weird, freak injury at that. Buttcheek to the face.

Well said.

He can't?

He seems adept at getting LB'ers late in the draft but his trade up for Clay was good too. A 2nd OLB opposite Clay never worked out and there have been quite a few D line failures.

But in the NFL a 50% success rate is good.

Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.
Shields isn't talented?Mike Daniels isn't talented?

Collins was a stud. But none of these guys is in a level with Rodgers, Sitton, Jordy, Cobb, Lacy, or even Bulaga.

Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.

Collins was a stud. But none of these guys is in a level with Rodgers, Sitton, Jordy, Cobb, Lacy, or even Bulaga.
Brandon Jackson was a bad 2nd round pick as were Worthy, Brian Brohm and Pat Lee, but Lacy, Jennings, Jordy and Cobb were great ones. Finley was a great 3rd. Desmond Bishop and Brad Jones were good late round picks.

Rodgers and Bulaga fell into his lap.

Wish he could draft linemen like he does WR's. His record on CB's isn't great either. I like Rollins basketball background to be an eventual good player.

I'm sorry. I must have wandered into the Green Bay Packers thread by mistake. I was looking for the Jeff Janis thread.

Exits thread slowly

Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.

Mike Daniels and Shields are easily on par with Bulaga...and Daniels is making his way up that list as well.

But yeah...not shocking there are not going to be a lot of picks that will be on the level with Aaron freakin Rodgers...if that is all you are looking for, there is not a GM in the league drafting talent like that from late in the draft or even early in the draft.

I guess I kind of attribute Daniels to "throw enough crap at the wall and something will stick." But he's be no means a dominant player.

He was the third D lineman drafted that year.

Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.

Mike Daniels and Shields are easily on par with Bulaga...and Daniels is making his way up that list as well.

But yeah...not shocking there are not going to be a lot of picks that will be on the level with Aaron freakin Rodgers...if that is all you are looking for, there is not a GM in the league drafting talent like that from late in the draft or even early in the draft.
I'm talking pro bowlers. Stars, perenial nightmares that opposing coaches account for. Thompson has drafted exactly 1 on defense....ever.

I guess I kind of attribute Daniels to "throw enough crap at the wall and something will stick." But he's be no means a dominant player.

He was the third D lineman drafted that year.
So when TT hits...its because he threw enough crap at the wall and something stuck...when he misses its because he is bad at drafting on D.

Guess what...much of the draft...especially TT's philosophy, is to acquire picks and take several at positions to create competition and hope that about half develop.

I agree and it's a good philosophy. I think Ted understands it well. But I just wish he didn't burn so many high picks on guys that stink on D.

Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.

I'm talking pro bowlers. Stars, perenial nightmares that opposing coaches account for. Thompson has drafted exactly 1 on defense....ever.
Again, Nick Collins was this. He made as many Pro-Bowls himself as Cobb and Nelson have combined.

Well said.

He can't?

I'll give you Matthews.

Charles Woodson was a good signee, you omit him because he wasn't drafted? They worked him in and developed him too and he was a nightmare for opposing teams.

Packer pro bowlers on defense signed or drafted by TT.

Woodson 4 times

Collins 3

Clay Matthews 5 times

BJ Raji 2011

Shields 2014

This is a Jeff Janis thread!! Can we get back to arguing about how good Davante Adams is?!?!
I agree. If you want to discuss the merits of Ted Thompson's ability to draft offensive or defensive players can it at least be taken to the Packers thread? It would be the courteous thing to do. Here's the link for it:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/702701-official-green-bay-packers-offseason-thread-v-2014/
Mike McCarthy today on Jeff Janis. Don't waive Devante Adams just yet.

On Jeff Janis.... Jeff is developing. He's getting a lot of opportunities. He's done some good things on special teams. Some things specific to his skill level, he's good at. Some things he needs to improve on. He's catching the ball better. He can get better fundamentally. Jeff is really improving; gotten a lot of quality work.

since the Adams thread on another board also devolved into Adams v Janis, here's a post summing up my thoughts on it

Except he didn't do even close to "as good as as a wr could realistically". He didn't even manage to perform at an average rate of efficiency.
There's a litany of statistics showing he was flat out ineffective last year, but everyone is eager to give him the benefit of the doubt.
There's no real reason for this optimism other than it's the current predominant narrative, and the Packers staff are pushing it, hoping he improves this year.
There's chance he takes a step forward this year, but in all likelihood the outcome is that he'll continue to be given opportunities, continue to be less than mediocre, and will never be a fantasy contributor.

The Packers have a track record of identifying overlooked receiving talent, so any weight draft capital may have had to make us weigh Adams over Janis should have gone out the window with a look at his stats last year. Sticking to a rigid view of draft capital's role here is simply stubborn refusal to acknowledge the unique nature of ever situation in the league.
Janis appears to be in line to be the inheritor of the aged Nelson's role. Adams auditioned for Cobb's role down the stretch, and based on the resigning it would seem they (wisely) weren't very impressed and he's now likely relegated to the Boykin/WR3 role. Even that role he'll likely have to hold off Abbrederis and Montgomery to maintain once McCarthy is tired of his inefficiency, probably by the end of this season.

When choosing between an overhyped, overpriced, inefficient, nfl WR3, and a cheap successor to old man Jordy, who may be an unknown, that's not a tough choice to make.

Adams' Stats Roundup:

• -10.9 Production Premium (No. 73)
• -26.0-percent Target Premium (No. 93)
• 6.8 Yards Per Target (No. 84)
• 57.6-percent Catch Rate (No. 62)

" “Miscommunication” between a quarterback and target is the result of only 1.7 percent of pass attempts. Davante Adams’ rate in the category was 9.3 percent as a rookie"

http://rotoviz.com/2015/05/time-short-davante-adams/?hvid=XJRor
Conclusion: "Let’s face it: It’s time to cash out at a nice profit if you own Adams. You could miss out on the small chance that he breaks out this year, but you’ll be avoiding the much more likely scenario that he fades into obscurity."

Sometimes a Mountain West WR1 is just a Mountain West WR. :boohoo:

Rotoworld:

Packers WR Alex Van Pelt indicated second-year WR Jeff Janis is still a developmental project.

A size-speed freak out of Saginaw Valley, Janis played only 15 snaps as a rookie. "There's still some growth (needed) there, but he's shown the ability to be physical and use his size, which is a step for him," Van Pelt said. "He's getting there (mentally), but it's just that it's a complex system." Janis isn't a threat to Davante Adams' third receiver job, but could become a fantasy factor this year if Jordy Nelson has a setback in his recovery from hip surgery.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Jul 26 - 1:57 PM

Adams is entrenched the #3, especially after last night, but think Montgomery is the #4 at this point. Janis dropped one last night he should have caught and Ty Montgomery has been catching just about everything thrown his way.

So the #5 should be between Janis, Abbrederis, Myles White and several un-drafted rookies who haven't done a lot yet.

From last night.

WR Myles White: Heading into camp, the speculation was Green Bay might keep six receivers, so long as Jared Abbrederis had shown that he was past last year’s torn ACL. With Abbrederis still out with a concussion, the Packers might keep only five — with White making a run at Janis for that spot.

White’s in his third year and it shows. He’s more polished than any of this year’s undrafted rookies. And he’s caught just about everything thrown his way — unlike Janis, who had an awful drop on Saturday. On a fourth-and-2, he easily beat HaHa Clinton-Dix for an easy conversion. He also hauled in a touchdown pass from Tolzien.

Rotoworld:

Jeff Janis - WR - Packers

According to Packer Report, second-year WR Jeff Janis "hasn't even taken a small step" in his second NFL training camp.

Coach Mike McCarthy predicted Janis would take a "big step forward" at the NFL Combine, but Janis' development ostensibly hasn't gone as quickly as hoped. Janis is competing with third-round pick Ty Montgomery and slot type Myles White for the Packers' fourth and fifth receiver jobs with Jared Abbrederis (concussion) on the shelf. Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams remain locked in as Green Bay's top-three wideouts.

Source: Scout.com

Aug 9 - 5:18 PM
Link:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1572078-packers-white-shows-he-has-right-stuff

Rotoworld:

Jeff Janis - WR - Packers

According to Packer Report, second-year WR Jeff Janis "hasn't even taken a small step" in his second NFL training camp.

Coach Mike McCarthy predicted Janis would take a "big step forward" at the NFL Combine, but Janis' development ostensibly hasn't gone as quickly as hoped. Janis is competing with third-round pick Ty Montgomery and slot type Myles White for the Packers' fourth and fifth receiver jobs with Jared Abbrederis (concussion) on the shelf. Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams remain locked in as Green Bay's top-three wideouts.

Source: Scout.com

Aug 9 - 5:18 PM
Link:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1572078-packers-white-shows-he-has-right-stuff
So their posting is about phrases said back from the combine as current? Oh he said it 4 months ago so it must still be true? How about the current blurbs that say Janis HAS taken steps forward this offseason.

Rotoworld:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, WR Jeff Janis "hasn't made the performance jump the Packers hoped he would" in his second NFL training camp.

The Journal-Sentinel echoes a recent Packer Report story, explaining that Janis "hasn't been able to sustain his momentum" after a big OTA season. "With Jeff, it's the consistency," said WRs coach Alex Van Pelt. Beat writer Bob McGinn says Janis lacks the hip fluidity of Jordy Nelson and "at times, he looks to be a straight-line speed receiver," a feeling seconded by Van Pelt. In addition to Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams, McGinn says practice-squad type Myles White and third-round pick Ty Montgomery "have outperformed Janis." Janis has also "dropped more than his fair share of passes." Be sure to send the link below into Davis Mattek's Twitter mentions.

Aug 13 - 1:22 AM

Rotoworld:

According to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, WR Jeff Janis "hasn't made the performance jump the Packers hoped he would" in his second NFL training camp.

The Journal-Sentinel echoes a recent Packer Report story, explaining that Janis "hasn't been able to sustain his momentum" after a big OTA season. "With Jeff, it's the consistency," said WRs coach Alex Van Pelt. Beat writer Bob McGinn says Janis lacks the hip fluidity of Jordy Nelson and "at times, he looks to be a straight-line speed receiver," a feeling seconded by Van Pelt. In addition to Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams, McGinn says practice-squad type Myles White and third-round pick Ty Montgomery "have outperformed Janis." Janis has also "dropped more than his fair share of passes." Be sure to send the link below into Davis Mattek's Twitter mentions.

Aug 13 - 1:22 AM
cut bait

Rotoworld:

Packers WR Jeff Janis delivered two catches for 31 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason win over the Patriots.

Janis made Logan Ryan look silly on a 26-yard touchdown strike from Scott Tolzien in the second quarter. He was only targeted two other times as the Packers spread the wealth among 16 different receivers. Thursday's outing was a step in the right direction for Janis, who has struggled throughout Packers camp.

Aug 13 - 11:15 PM

Well he was the 4th WR on this night and Montgomery wasn't great but it's one game, lets see what happens this week.

Users who are viewing this thread