What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeff Janis (2 Viewers)

The smart move is to let Cobb go the way they let Jennings go. Rodgers makes the WRs, they don't make Rodgers. It's the same as in NE with Brady yet the talent levels are higher at WR in GB. Adams fills Cobb's spot and Janis fills Adams spot.
Why did they pay Jordy then? And why did TT offer Jennings a bunch of money 1 year before he left town?
I don't remember the Packers letting any receiver go without a reasonable offer...they gave Jennings one but he wanted the most money he could get.
I am pretty sure he ended up with less than the Packers were offering as well when it came down to it.
And now he is left on a crappy team with a QB not nearly as good as what he had. He does have a ring though.

Something that will dictate Cobb's leaning quite a bit.

It will take many suitors out of the picture IMO. He would still like to win a ring...he has a chance with GB...but highest bidder won't necessarily be the best for him because it may be a team who has crap for SB chances.

I don't think it gets that far anyway...I think GB will resign him before it gets to FA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The smart move is to let Cobb go the way they let Jennings go. Rodgers makes the WRs, they don't make Rodgers. It's the same as in NE with Brady yet the talent levels are higher at WR in GB. Adams fills Cobb's spot and Janis fills Adams spot.
Why did they pay Jordy then? And why did TT offer Jennings a bunch of money 1 year before he left town?
You have to pay someone. Jennings was offered money but not the $ he got (on paper) with MINN. I think he does end up with less $ than if he had resigned with GB because MINN is probably going to cut him which I predicted would happen. I guess they could pay Cobb and let Jordy walk when his contract is up since by then they will have to pay Adams. There was no way they could have paid Jennings and paid Cobb this year.

You guys remember how Manning made Stokely, Wilkens, and Collie studs? Next man up in Green Bay will be a star.

Gotta see how the rehab is going, but i still prefer Abbrederis. Janis has more upside, but...raw.

Rotoworld:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel considers Jeff Janis the Packers' No. 4 receiver.

Janis' breakout potential took a hit when the Packers re-signed Randall Cobb, relegating Davante Adams to third-receiver duties and Janis to No. 4. Still, the paper slots him ahead of Jared Abbrederis and third-round pick Ty Montgomery. With Jordy Nelson coming off hip surgery, we wouldn't totally rule out Janis making some 2015 noise if he keeps the fourth-receiver job into Week 1.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
May 5 - 11:01 PM

Anyone see Janis possibly taking Adams' spot? I wasn't very impressed with Adams so it's kind of in my mind right now.

Anyone see Janis possibly taking Adams' spot? I wasn't very impressed with Adams so it's kind of in my mind right now.
Nope. Close to zero chance.
I have both in the same dyno league, and totally agree. Adams by a long shot. Not really sure what's not to like about Davante Adams either. There were a couple bumps in the road in his rookie year, but IMO he showed he can really play. One day in the not too distant future, he'll be the WR to own in GB.

I think he isn't a lock to make the roster. Has the edge right now over Abbrederris...but it isn't a sure thing.

Adams easily keeps the #3.

The Packers drafted WR Ty Montgomery in round 3 of the 2015 draft pick 94 overall.

Jeff Janis was a 7th round pick in 2014 pick 234 overall.

If Janis was going to be Green Bays 4th WR then why did they make a more significant investment in Montgomery?

I think this means Janis and Abbrederis are going to be fighting for a roster spot.

Montgomery looks like a return man - he had 5 return TDs at Stanford (3 kickoff, 2 punt). He also could be a gadget guy (he added another 39/334/4 rushing). He seems unlikely to win a standard receiving role any time soon, although maybe he could develop into that role in a couple years.

The return abilities might suggest that Abberderis might be the player on the bubble as I believe he was brought in for his return abilities and as a slot receiver if they didn't re-sign Cobb.

So Montgomery is his competition for that role. I think Janis is more of a back up to Jordy Nelson.

The Packers drafted WR Ty Montgomery in round 3 of the 2015 draft pick 94 overall.

If Janis was going to be Green Bays 4th WR then why did they make a more significant investment in Montgomery?

I think this means Janis and Abbrederis are going to be fighting for a roster spot.
Montgomery can't catch, he may even end up a return man/running back. He will never be a starting wr'er on the Packers or any NFL team unless multiple people suffer injuries.

Montgomery can't catch, he may even end up a return man/running back. He will never be a starting wr'er on the Packers or any NFL team unless multiple people suffer injuries.
Seems like a pretty high pick to use on a player only for special teams.

Seems like a pretty high pick to use on a player only for special teams.
It is, and was a bit of a luxury pick by the packers. However their return game was largely awful last year, and they were exposing Cobb to more punishment by making him a part time returner. Now that he's minted as a 10 million/year guy those days are over. I think Montgomery was brought in to be that returner, and fill the backfield role that Cobb used to have.

Montgomery is a very good returner, and might work his way into a handful of touches a game out of the backfield too.

Well I shouldn't criticize a third round pick being used on a kick returner when my favorite team has spent two 1st round picks on Percy Harvin and Cordarrelle Patterson.

Good special teams a lot more important to winning games than I recognize sometimes.

This may be a dumb question, but why would a guy who can't catch......be the guy who is standing waiting to do one thing on punts and kick offs......and catch the ball? What am I missing?

Starting WR? Who knows...he probably will play in quite a few positions starting with returns...maybe some out of the backfield and some split wide.

TT usually not the type that is taking guys that just can't catch.

Please don't take my word for it, check it out yourself. Highest drop percentage of tracked players in college football. If numbers aren't your thing, go look at him on tape and watch all the highlights, not just the ones he actually catches. What you will see is a young man that battles the ball and does not snatch it cleanly. Then, try to think back to a player that was always known as a guy with bad hands and think about how many got better. It just doesn't happen, am I saying it is impossible? Of course not, just highly unlikely.

He certainly could be used out of the backfield as a rb/wr and return man, I am simply saying unless he has an incredible and rare turn around, he will not be a starting wr. As always, that is just mho.

cr8f said:
Any word on Abrederris? Will they use him a s a returned if healthy or WR.
Im sure he will get looks there.

Seems like unless they plan on keeping 6 WRs...its between he and Janis to be the #4/#5 guy behind the main 3 and now the new draft pick.

Those guys need to show their value wherever they can.

cr8f said:

Seems like unless they plan on keeping 6 WRs...its between he and Janis to be the #4/#5 guy behind the main 3 and now the new draft pick.

It's also possible they consider Montgomery a RB, and keep him as the 3rd guy there.

Lacy

Starks

Montgomery

Kuhn

Nelson

Cobb

Adams

Janis

Abbrederis

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/07/cff-overview-wrs-something-to-work-with/

Ty Montgomery is a poor receiver. You don’t want him playing wide out for your team. His hands are poor, featuring some extremely ugly drops over the year. His routes are labored, and he doesn’t seem comfortable with what he is doing at all. So what is there to work with? I think he’s a running back, and a pretty good one, masquerading at receiver. The other bonus with Montgomery is he will be a very useful return man into the bargain.

I have seen him compared to Cordarrelle Patterson, and while I think that’s a pretty good fit, the difference between the two is body type. Patterson is 6-foot-2 and is built and runs like a receiver, so any backfield carries he is given will be occasional. Montgomery is 6-foot at best and 220 pounds. He is built like a runner and does his best work with the ball in his hands, even running between the tackles.

Only four receivers notched more missed tackles forced than Montgomery’s 17, and the lowest number of receptions amongst them had 45 more than the Stanford Cardinal. He may not be viable as a receiver, but hand him the ball as a running back and you might just have something.

Signature Stat: Averaged 12.4 yards per carry on wide receiver runs (end arounds etc), but a respectable 4.8 yards per carry on conventional running back carries.

cr8f said:

It's also possible they consider Montgomery a RB, and keep him as the 3rd guy there. Lacy

Starks

Montgomery

Kuhn

Nelson

Cobb

Adams

Janis

Abbrederis

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/07/cff-overview-wrs-something-to-work-with/

Ty Montgomery is a poor receiver. You dont want him playing wide out for your team. His hands are poor, featuring some extremely ugly drops over the year. His routes are labored, and he doesnt seem comfortable with what he is doing at all. So what is there to work with? I think hes a running back, and a pretty good one, masquerading at receiver. The other bonus with Montgomery is he will be a very useful return man into the bargain.

I have seen him compared to Cordarrelle Patterson, and while I think thats a pretty good fit, the difference between the two is body type. Patterson is 6-foot-2 and is built and runs like a receiver, so any backfield carries he is given will be occasional. Montgomery is 6-foot at best and 220 pounds. He is built like a runner and does his best work with the ball in his hands, even running between the tackles.

Only four receivers notched more missed tackles forced than Montgomerys 17, and the lowest number of receptions amongst them had 45 more than the Stanford Cardinal. He may not be viable as a receiver, but hand him the ball as a running back and you might just have something.

Signature Stat: Averaged 12.4 yards per carry on wide receiver runs (end arounds etc), but a respectable 4.8 yards per carry on conventional running back carries.
So he can't catch, but will be a returner, where he has to catch the ball.....

Montgomery wearing #88.

Doesn't sound like an RB to me.
Great point, I guess he can only line-up as a receiver if he is playing on offense due to those pesky jersey number rules, we certainly don't want to get penalized for having a #88 in the backfield. Damn those rules! Damn those rules to hell!

It's also possible they consider Montgomery a RB, and keep him as the 3rd guy there. Lacy

Starks

Montgomery

Kuhn

Nelson

Cobb

Adams

Janis

Abbrederis

Ty Montgomery is a poor receiver. You dont want him playing wide out for your team. His hands are poor, featuring some extremely ugly drops over the year. His routes are labored, and he doesnt seem comfortable with what he is doing at all. So what is there to work with? I think hes a running back, and a pretty good one, masquerading at receiver. The other bonus with Montgomery is he will be a very useful return man into the bargain.

I have seen him compared to Cordarrelle Patterson, and while I think thats a pretty good fit, the difference between the two is body type. Patterson is 6-foot-2 and is built and runs like a receiver, so any backfield carries he is given will be occasional. Montgomery is 6-foot at best and 220 pounds. He is built like a runner and does his best work with the ball in his hands, even running between the tackles.

Only four receivers notched more missed tackles forced than Montgomerys 17, and the lowest number of receptions amongst them had 45 more than the Stanford Cardinal. He may not be viable as a receiver, but hand him the ball as a running back and you might just have something.

Check out @PackerReport's Tweet: https://twitter.com/PackerReport/status/596813649303437312?s=09

Starks

Montgomery

Kuhn

Nelson

Cobb

Adams

Janis

Abbrederis

Check out @PackerReport's Tweet: https://twitter.com/PackerReport/status/596813649303437312?s=09
I'm not disputing his ability to catch punts. I'm suggesting that if he can catch punts, just maybe he will also be able to catch passes too.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 7h7 hours ago

McCarthy on WR Ty Montgomery: Very impressed. Obviously has a ton of explosion. Definitely thought he stood out today.

I watched Ty's whole college career. People spend so much time talking about the negatives that it's easy to overlook the positives. He's a good player. Great athlete. Very strong. Good playing speed. He definitely has brick hands at times, but he's a dangerous weapon on short routes. He was basically Stanford's whole offense in 2014 and everyone knew it, which is why his efficiency stats dropped so much. Is he a perfect prospect? No, but he fits in as a #4 guy who can do damage against nickel-dime corners, return kicks, and maybe eventually grow into an outside role.

He weighed in at 212 today, which is down from 221 at the combine and a much better weight for him.

Starks

Montgomery

Kuhn

Nelson

Cobb

Adams

Janis

Abbrederis

I'm not disputing his ability to catch punts. I'm suggesting that if he can catch punts, just maybe he will also be able to catch passes too.
They drafted Antonio Freeman for his return ability and he was a decent WR.

Rotoworld:

Packers coach Mike McCarthy has called second-year WR Jeff Janis someone who is "really moving forward."

"(Jeff) came on at the end of last year," McCarthy said. "(He) was ready to play." The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has already gone on the record as considering Janis the Pack's No. 4 receiver, and McCarthy's comments are an indication he's ahead of Jared Abbrederis and third-rounder Ty Montgomery. Janis will still have a hard time carving out re-draft value if he wins No. 4 duties, but he remains a dynasty-league consideration.

Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter
Jun 2 - 2:39 PM

Am I the only one who thinks he can challenge Adams for #3 duty?
Probably not, but he has a lot of competition to even make the team too. He's ahead of Jared and Montgomery and the UDFA's but how far ahead?

Zyphros said:
Am I the only one who thinks he can challenge Adams for #3 duty?
Probably not...reading the links for today taht Adas has come in and stepped up while Jordy isnt practicing and is still making plays and is on the same page with Rodgers.

Starks

Montgomery

Kuhn

Nelson

Cobb

Adams

Janis

Abbrederis

Punts are (by design) in the air for several, slow, arching seconds. They are caught with your arms, against your body. When you catch them you have a rules-enforced halo protecting you and the ability to stop the play as soon as you field the ball.

Most passes are (by design) in the air for as little time as possible to get to where they need to be. They are caught with your hands away from your body. The very moment your fingertips touch the ball, everything below your neck is fair game to hit as hard as any number of defenders wish to.

I see what you're saying, but these skills are not that closely related at all.

I am interested to follow this topic. Janis was one of those guys I drafted very late (or picked up off waivers, whatever it was) and just stashed. I thought he was worthy of that because the system in Green Bay tends to be helpful to otherwise "jags", even if there are always lots of mouths to feed. Physically, he seems to check off all the boxes. I think you could waste a roster spot in a lot of worse ways.

I'm starting to think it might be time to drop him. Drafting Montgomery in the 3rd was the writing on the wall.

I'm starting to think it might be time to drop him. Drafting Montgomery in the 3rd was the writing on the wall.
Give me the physical 6'3" freak of an athlete whose flashed and the coaches seem to love. Drafting Montgomery has little to no affect on Janis to me.

A lot of strong opinions but they are just that. We'll see. Abberderris was mostly a returner anyway, Montgomery could challenge but for Adams to lose his job he may have to get hurt. He was pretty good last year.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Lacy. No one else matters in the passing game. Not Abberderis, not Janis and not Montgomery.
Janis is better than Adams and will surpass him at some point this year. Mark it.
Which game at SVSU leads you to believe this? Adams looked pretty darn good against Dallas in the playoffs.
I don't watch DIII(?) games, and in general don't pretend to be a scout. He's bigger, faster & has big play ability. Rodgers was most inefficient (based on AYA) when throwing to Adams, that includes Lacy. Just about any 3rd WR would have some good games with Rodgers & Nelson/Cobb.

It's only a matter of time, one injury to top 3 and there is no looking back. Even a few clunkers for Adams and he's going to have some heat on him.

Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Lacy. No one else matters in the passing game. Not Abberderis, not Janis and not Montgomery.
Janis is better than Adams and will surpass him at some point this year. Mark it.
Which game at SVSU leads you to believe this? Adams looked pretty darn good against Dallas in the playoffs.
I don't watch DIII(?) games, and in general don't pretend to be a scout. He's bigger, faster & has big play ability. Rodgers was most inefficient (based on AYA) when throwing to Adams, that includes Lacy. Just about any 3rd WR would have some good games with Rodgers & Nelson/Cobb.It's only a matter of time, one injury to top 3 and there is no looking back. Even a few clunkers for Adams and he's going to have some heat on him.
bigger and faster do not automatically equal better at football. From the sound of it Janis is also a raw route runner with inconsistent catching form, which led to a high rate of drops in college. He also didn't get on the field last year. Meanwhile Adams, while not perfect, did get on the field, and showed high level NFL ability against actual NFL defenses at times.

I'll also add, efficiency is not everything, especially for a rookie. A lot of rookies have pretty high efficiency because they are in the field only in situations that they excel in (looking at you, Martavis). Adams also played more as a rookie than Nelson or Cobb, so it's not a surprise that he had a lower efficiency as a rookie than those 2.

Users who are viewing this thread