What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets over/under 6 wins (1 Viewer)

:unsure: This season more than any other season I can recall has really turned on its ear the idea that newly hired head coaches have a transition period before their teams start winning. That's particularly odd that it's occurred with so many rookie head coaches in their very first jobs.

I give Mangini all the credit in the world for the Jets performance. He's taken a very modestly talented team and turned them into a winning team that seems on track to finish 9-7 in the stronger of the two conferences. His performance there resembles Parcells' first season in Dallas, where he had a very mediocre Cowboys team playing over its head all year and getting into the playoffs in his first season there.

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO at some of these posts! Kendall was TERRIBLE at center last year.... I guess everyone has fogotten all the fumbled snaps when he went to C. That Atlanta game on national TV? 2 or 3 in that game alone. He not only couln't call the line blocking plays, he didn't know who HE was supposed to block! Mangold is a HUGE improvement at center, period. The offense still lacks weapons, but this O line may be, and in MO is better than the starting O line was in week 1 last year. Fabini was washed up, Mawae was not what he once was, and Jones was awful at RT. As good as Martin was, after he injured his knee in week 3 (or was it 4?) he was a shadow of himself.... any RB on the roster is an upgrade. McCariens also blew toads last year... and is now WR#4, behind Coles, Cotchery and Dwight in the slot. Pennington's arm is still weak, but as good as it was in 2002. The RB's they have can't pick up a blitz worth a red cent, but still.... the O is in better shape than it was last year. This defense is being VERY under rated, and will improve as the season wears on. They won't be easy to score against. Agianst Washington, they used Bryan Thomas as the pass rusher, blitzing from his new OLB spot, and he caused havoc. Then, as promised by Mangini, they went into the Giants game with only a 3 man rush. Manning had tons of time to pass, but couldn't find any open recievers... he even admitted he was frustrated by that scheme, and said he should have tucked and run to force the Jets out of it.Initially, I was expecting a 5 to 6 win season. Now, I think 6 wins is a given. 7 possible, 8 on the outside. They will crush the Titans.... trust me on that one... bet the farm on it.
Can I get a grade on this post from August? :pics: Signing autographs now....line forms to the right. :whistle:

LMAO at some of these posts! Kendall was TERRIBLE at center last year.... I guess everyone has fogotten all the fumbled snaps when he went to C. That Atlanta game on national TV? 2 or 3 in that game alone. He not only couln't call the line blocking plays, he didn't know who HE was supposed to block! Mangold is a HUGE improvement at center, period. The offense still lacks weapons, but this O line may be, and in MO is better than the starting O line was in week 1 last year. Fabini was washed up, Mawae was not what he once was, and Jones was awful at RT. As good as Martin was, after he injured his knee in week 3 (or was it 4?) he was a shadow of himself.... any RB on the roster is an upgrade. McCariens also blew toads last year... and is now WR#4, behind Coles, Cotchery and Dwight in the slot. Pennington's arm is still weak, but as good as it was in 2002. The RB's they have can't pick up a blitz worth a red cent, but still.... the O is in better shape than it was last year. This defense is being VERY under rated, and will improve as the season wears on. They won't be easy to score against. Agianst Washington, they used Bryan Thomas as the pass rusher, blitzing from his new OLB spot, and he caused havoc. Then, as promised by Mangini, they went into the Giants game with only a 3 man rush. Manning had tons of time to pass, but couldn't find any open recievers... he even admitted he was frustrated by that scheme, and said he should have tucked and run to force the Jets out of it.Initially, I was expecting a 5 to 6 win season. Now, I think 6 wins is a given. 7 possible, 8 on the outside. They will crush the Titans.... trust me on that one... bet the farm on it.
Can I get a grade on this post from August? :pics: Signing autographs now....line forms to the right. :whistle:
That sound... Is Tony Reali hitting the MUTE button!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I took them at under 6.5 and wouldn't consider changing my wager or even hedging once TEN blows them out in week #1.
Jets will battle for the worst record in football this year. I predict 3 wins. They no talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Bump
That's a good bump. Jets are far and away the biggest surprise to me this season. Sure N.O. is a nice story but they have some pretty good players..... the Jets may actually make the playoffs starting Pennington at QB and Barlow/Houston/Washington at RB. That's amazing to me. Very impressed with Mangini thus far.

Rovers said:
As always Rovers, you have great scoop and insight into the Jets. You, Patoons, Chase, TLEF316, my man otis, Z-Dog and Reaper always bring the goods. But yes, this was a particularly good write up, aside from calling "crushing" the Titans (even though they were up something like 16-0 in that game and almost let TEN climb back in)... :P

The future looks really bright for the Jets. They have the foundation for their offensive line in place(D'brick, and Mangold are looking great), and young playmakers in Vilma, and Rhodes on defense. I would like to see B.Smith converted to DB. Curious to see what they do with Pennington in the offseason.

You guys are seriously underestimating Mangina
No, we're not. They don't have enough talent yet. They have a brittle QB with no arm strength, one of the 5 worst starting RBs in the league, and no developed WR depth behind Coles. And, putting a good 3-4 defense together from a previous 4-3 defense takes more than a season.
You could have said the same thing about the Dolphins in Saban's first season. Their starting running back was suspended, they drafted a rookie RB and had a scrub OL (as opposed to the Jets who drafted rookie OL but have scrub RBs). They had no developed WR depth behind Chambers. And they were putting a 3-4 defense together from a previous 4-3 defense. I agree that the Jets aren't very talented. And I'm not saying that Mangina's as good as Saban. I'm just saying that they're not the lock to be under six wins that people here seem to think. It's still a decent O/U bet in Vegas, because a million New York fans are buoying that number, but it's not a lock.
:goodposting:

BoltBacker said:
That's a good bump. Jets are far and away the biggest surprise to me this season. Sure N.O. is a nice story but they have some pretty good players..... the Jets may actually make the playoffs starting Pennington at QB and Barlow/Houston/Washington at RB. That's amazing to me. Very impressed with Mangini thus far.
I think the backs are being used effectively, but I continue to be amazed at those that express shock at Chad's success. His only problem from the start was staying healty. When healthy, he's effective and finds ways to win. The problem, thus far, is that he hasn't been able to get and stay healthy. No, he's not Peyton - but he is generally a very smart QBs that makes good decisions especially in the red zone (well, until the last few games!).I wasn't involved in any of the threads here, but I've been saying from the start that the Jets aren't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. We finished with 4 wins last year after losing our top 2 QBs AND the 40-something over-the-hill Vinny. Given the injuries (and let's be honest Chad wasn't right from the start last year), isn't that expected?

Users who are viewing this thread