What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets RB - Who should start? (2 Viewers)

If it makes you feel any better, they were indeed lining Crowell up in the slot in preseason at times, so they have confidence in his ability to catch the ball.
They also lined him up at split-end and flanker and he caught both of his targets. I made some funny faces watching that 3rd preseason game. It's why I think both Crowell and Powell could be equally involved in the passing game.

Crow is the most talent back theyve had in a long time.
He's actually extremely similar to Ivory from a play style and talent perspective. I think Ivory's 2015 season (247/1070/7 and 30/217/1 receiving line) is Crowell's upside too. I don't know why you're so melodramatic with every player you back.

Dodds has their week 1 projections right in line with a 50/50 split. 
Makes sense. That's what the preseason looked like.

eta* I wanna like SameSong's post, but then he gets on Soulfly3 a bit (not too, too badly). But I really like that he brought up that they split Crow out at flanker and split end, because I watch games distracted and saw him running patterns out wide, which was odd. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I do remember hearing they wanted to get Crowell involved in the passing game more so that will be interesting to see how that evolves. Just keeping my expectations pretty low at this point, haha. I only have the Jets backfield in one league. 

I tried something different in one draft by going Jets backfield, Jamaal Williams and Breida hoping one will be serviceable as a 2. Quite different from all of my other drafts. This is why I hate picking 1st - went Gurley, Kelce, Hill and was left scrambling for RBs. 

Yeah I do remember hearing they wanted to get Crowell involved in the passing game more so that will be interesting to see how that evolves. Just keeping my expectations pretty low at this point, haha. I only have the Jets backfield in one league. 

I tried something different in one draft by going Jets backfield, Jamaal Williams and Breida hoping one will be serviceable as a 2. Quite different from all of my other drafts. This is why I hate picking 1st - went Gurley, Kelce, Hill and was left scrambling for RBs. 
That's such a damn good start, though. And you might see one of those committee backs become a full-on RB2. 

Stacked boxes against a crappy to mediocre o-line. As Big Mouth Bart Scott used to say, "can't wait".
In a way, you feel bad for both Crowell and Powell. They're never going to get that situation, be it contractual or team, that enables them to become a feature back (eta* never mind a dominant, featured back). Powell's what, 29 now? I mean, it's now or never for him. And Crow is stuck here for three or so years. 

That's such a damn good start, though. And you might see one of those committee backs become a full-on RB2. 
That’s what I’m hoping. My main league I drafted 8th so all of my research was based around that area of the draft and starting off strong at RB. So when I ended up with 4 of my 7 FPPC drafts at 1 or 2 I was left kind of winging it. 

That’s what I’m hoping. My main league I drafted 8th so all of my research was based around that area of the draft and starting off strong at RB. So when I ended up with 4 of my 7 FPPC drafts at 1 or 2 I was left kind of winging it. 
Oh -- and whether you knew it or not, though I'm sure you did -- you just invested in the kid from Lubbock, dude. Good thing he's got a cannon.  

Well, I do like that he called Darron Lee soft.
Bart was never one to hold back, was he? Those were golden years and but for Sanchez, maybe a hard-won title. Never forget how quiet the bar was in New England in either '10 or '11 when we kicked their ### in the playoffs, Scott having a huge role in that game dropping into a 3-8 zone that Rex drew up to confuse the hell out of Brady, IIRC.  

Bart was never one to hold back, was he? Those were golden years and but for Sanchez, maybe a hard-won title. Never forget how quiet the bar was in New England in either '10 or '11 when we kicked their ### in the playoffs, Scott having a huge role in that game dropping into a 3-8 zone that Rex drew up to confuse the hell out of Brady, IIRC.  
I was never really a fan of the guy, but that was a great moment in the playoffs for sure. Don't forget the Fat Man running down the sideline to celebrate.

Braylon Edwards? Don't call it a comeback -- he's our deep threat with gadget freak Brad Smith running wild and basically being one of the best return men in the game. Thomas Jones on his last legs. All that stuff. 

Okay, back to this year's backs, but I think it's been covered. 

I was never really a fan of the guy, but that was a great moment in the playoffs for sure. Don't forget the Fat Man running down the sideline to celebrate.
Bart or Rex? Because both had that B'More temperament that was brash, loud, and talked a whole lot. I never dug it, not because I cared about the substance of it, but because their talking always became the story in the media, and it was done to death and a distraction, IMO.  

And that's why I went back to the well and took Crow ahead of Powell, despite Crow coming off a not-so-stellar year.

I always own Powell at the beginning of the year, and the same #### happens with the coaching staff every year. Some guy on his last legs gets paid 4 million to come in and get 3.3 YPC and by the time they figure it out, it's game eight and I've dropped Powell. 

Argh.  
it still seems crazy to me to that Crow is rostered in 88% of ESPN leagues vs just 45% for Powell.  I feel like Crow has nowhere to go but down based on his history and Powell will be consistent throughout the season, even though not spectacular.

I like Powell as I see the Jets throwing the ball maybe 50 times per game. I also pick up Darnold in all 2QB leagues for my bench, for the same reason. FWIW, the Jets actually have decent receivers.

Both of the above are quality posts, just for different reasons. 

I'd thought of the rhyming thing, too.  

Makes sense. That's what the preseason looked like.

eta* I wanna like SameSong's post, but then he gets on Soulfly3 a bit (not too, too badly). But I really like that he brought up that they split Crow out at flanker and split end, because I watch games distracted and saw him running patterns out wide, which was odd.
Lol, his shtick rubs me the wrong way. Which is funny because I know it's shtick.

Long Ball Larry said:
it still seems crazy to me to that Crow is rostered in 88% of ESPN leagues vs just 45% for Powell.  I feel like Crow has nowhere to go but down based on his history and Powell will be consistent throughout the season, even though not spectacular.
I drafted Crowell in the FFA music draft so I have a rooting interest. I was not pleased to see him cede first drive of dress rehearsal Game Three to Powell, who looked spry on a ten-yard or so TD that very drive. 

SameSongNDance said:
Lol, his shtick rubs me the wrong way. Which is funny because I know it's shtick.
Yeah, I can see that. I think it's gotten to the point where he might actually be jinxing these poor guys by sending Sepultura metal vibes their way or something. 

I'd hate to be Baker Mayfield's professional success anthropomorphized, that's for sure.  

I drafted Crowell in the FFA music draft so I have a rooting interest. I was not pleased to see him cede first drive of dress rehearsal Game Three to Powell, who looked spry on a ten-yard or so TD that very drive. 
They're both underrated backs, but I fear they'll cannibalize each other's fantasy stock. I've gone back and forth in the subscriber contest between the two of them. Currently leaning Powell due to price, but I like Crowell's upside better. Him being split out wide in the preseason after the talk of him being used in the passing game more could be one of those things I wish I paid more attention to after the season. Similarly, Powell getting first run with the 1's in preseason seems like something I should pay attention to. Ugh.  

They're both underrated backs, but I fear they'll cannibalize each other's fantasy stock. I've gone back and forth in the subscriber contest between the two of them. Currently leaning Powell due to price, but I like Crowell's upside better. Him being split out wide in the preseason after the talk of him being used in the passing game more could be one of those things I wish I paid more attention to after the season. Similarly, Powell getting first run with the 1's in preseason seems like something I should pay attention to. Ugh.  
Bowles said "open quarterback competition," and it was clear that Darnold was his guy when Bridgewater (IMO) outplayed Darnold with the twos as his skill complement players (and the Jets ain't deep).

Bowles has said "hot hand" in this case, so take it for what it's worth. Probably nothing. Powell runs and starts the dress rehearsal, hits the hole so hard he high-steps into the end zone, scores a TD, Crowell comes in next series. 

This is a cluster.  Methinks you either have to look at the contracts and read the coach's and GM's mind, or you need to own both and bench them for two weeks if you want to know anything about this backfield, because they're not even tipping their hand to homers.  I'm going to look up their contracts now.  

Powell makes 4 million with a 3.89 million cap hit for this year only. UFA at 29 years old.  

Crowell was just signed this off-season to a 3-year, 12 million dollar deal with a 3 million dollar signing bonus in the first year (yeah, that's redundant, but what the hey). 25 years old. 

There's an out in 2019 with a 4 million dollar payout and a cap hit of two million. 

WTF? Heads or tails? 

Essentially, the Jets could be rid of both these backs by the beginning of next year if they're willing to absorb a cool million or so in cap space, which they have, because IIRC, Crowell's cap hit next year if he played was a mil. 2-1=1 and all that stuff.    

Powell makes 4 million with a 3.89 million cap hit for this year only. UFA at 29 years old.  

Crowell was just signed this off-season to a 3-year, 12 million dollar deal with a 3 million dollar signing bonus in the first year (yeah, that's redundant, but what the hey). 25 years old. 

There's an out in 2019 with a 4 million dollar payout and a cap hit of two million. 

WTF? Heads or tails? 
I don't feel like this is going to be a good enough offense for me to devote two roster spots to, but yeah, it would be ideal to have them both. If price is the same, I'll go with the younger guy with workhorse capability (who has never missed a game)... but Powell is a fair amount less in the subscriber contest. He's also more likely to rack up PPR point if the Jets lose a lot.

believing Crow is a good RB is not shtick. 

But ill let it play out. I dont watch the jets, or know who their coordinator is, etc etc... All I know is Crow has talent.

I don't feel like this is going to be a good enough offense for me to devote two roster spots to, but yeah, it would be ideal to have them both. If price is the same, I'll go with the younger guy with workhorse capability (who has never missed a game)... but Powell is a fair amount less in the subscriber contest. He's also more likely to rack up PPR point if the Jets lose a lot.
Gotcha. Yeah, I'm not pushing the Jets, just figuring out how this is viable. Two roster spots for an RBBC would just suck. The spots and picks are valuable. Unless you just gamble with one, I don't blame anybody from staying away from this invitation to stacked boxes and dumpster fires in Jersey. 

believing Crow is a good RB is snot shtick. 

But ill let it play out. I dont watch the jets, or know who their coordinator is, etc etc... All I know is Crow has talent.
They're both good backs, Soul, that's the problem. Powell's always showing just enough burst to outrush his competition by mid-year, and his usage ticks up. Crowell, thankfully, is 25 and not on the other side of 30 like our backs the past four or so years have been, so this year could be different. He might be the horse. 

They're both good backs, Soul, that's the problem. Powell's always showing just enough burst to outrush his competition by mid-year and his usage ticks up. Crowell, thankfully, is 25 and not on the other side of 30 like our backs the past four or so years have been. 
I literally made that point as to WHY crow would thrive in NY, in my first post.

I literally made that point as to WHY crow would thrive in NY, in my first post.
Cool. I didn't dog you, just don't remember it.

The Sepultura thing was because of Soulfly, your handle. I have no issue with your passion on the boards. I'm entertained as hell, and Gordon is going to win me Summerpalooza and I've grabbed him in Anarchy's league and will grab him in my main one, too. 

Actually, you mention nothing about age in any post. 

I dig your non-schtick schtick, but c'mon. This is serious business, pal.  

Okay, I'm being ironic. It's not. I'm pissed I can't suss this situation out. Your team stank so badly I can't tell how good Crow is, even though I've rostered him for two years. And these Jets are no treat. You almost beat us way back when in the Meadowlands when your team was terrible.  

Jeepers. 

Jets just added De’Angelo Henderson to their PS just to add a little more spice to the situation.
Thanks, mang. Good to know. Considering both these guys might be gone at the end of the year, I suppose it's time to stockpile guys. 

Yogibear is off weeping somewhere that fourth-string Rawls got cut. 

Now that was pure schtick. 

Yogibear! 

eta* Jeez, I see people down in the browsing section, but no contributions. Anything? I feel like I'm manning the phones at a PBS drive and it's 3 A.M. 

Soul, iz cool. I believe you thought you did. 

I've re-read the thread. Twice. Nowhere do you say anything about age. 

Po-tay-toe

Po-tah-to

To-may-to

to-mah-to

Let's call the whole thing off. 

Po-tay-toe

Po-tah-to

To-may-to

to-mah-to

Let's call the whole thing off. 
good luck with your surgical procedure.

Soulfly3 said:
So bilal beating out prior scrubs means nothing now. Crow is the most talent back theyve had in a long time.

I didnt mention age specifically, but it was part of the implication when I called all the other RBs Powell has played with "scrubs"

talent, age, etc... none of them close to Crow.

I didnt mention age specifically, but it was part of the implication when I called all the other RBs Powell has played with "scrubs"

talent, age, etc... none of them close to Crow.
You didn't come within 30 years of age. 

OMG. 

:lmao:

I'll give it to you and apologize if we can get you live in the thread when Gordon plays his first game back.  

Users who are viewing this thread