What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jim Rome Smack-Off (1 Viewer)

read the transcript. that was awful.
They're all awful because almost every single caller is obviously reading from a script they worked. It's just horrible to listen to. There's only one guy who actually sounds like he's shooting from the hip, can't remember his name but I think he is a former smackoff winner and called in earlier this week.I love Rome but I can only listen to this show for about an hour total a week before I get too pissed off at these tools calling in with their stupid ####ing scripts. I'm calling in next year without a script and showing these ###holes how it's done.

Jim Rome ‏@jimrome

Some of you: "Fix was in. Rome wanted a celebrity to win." Right. Jay Mohr has never won. Jim Harbaugh was hammered for his appearance.

Not a regular listener but just tuned in for the smackoff. So far everything about his show sucks even the bumper music. Hopefully it gets better.

I haven't listened to this in years but I'm working from home so it's on in the background. Does Jay Mohr still call in? How about the Doc D'atolas? Man I remember when Rome was just local in So. Cal. Anyways, considering how much larger the audience is you'd think each call would be EPICCC!!!, but quite honestly seems like the first few smack offs had better takes/callers.

His shtick was good for a few minutes a day back in the 90s. Of course, we barely had the innernets back then so what was the competition?

I haven't listened to this in years but I'm working from home so it's on in the background. Does Jay Mohr still call in? How about the Doc D'atolas? Man I remember when Rome was just local in So. Cal. Anyways, considering how much larger the audience is you'd think each call would be EPICCC!!!, but quite honestly seems like the first few smack offs had better takes/callers.
Dr. DiTolla is actually a big deal in the dental community. He's the head doc at the largest dental laboratory in the country.

He was on the lecture circuit for a long while and was pretty entertaining to listen to.

Now he mainly does technique videos for this lab.

unfortunately the dental lab he works for is the Wal-Mart of dental labs - mostly cheap crap work.. He gets the best of it to display in his videos like Burger King gets the best burger ever for the ads... but then the actual product is an atrocity. But it's one damn sweet dental job for him.

The smackoff lost all credibility when Sean "the Cablanasian" wasn't able to participate anymore when he got his own show on a rival network to Romes. Sean Pendergast had some of the best takes ever.

The smackoff lost all credibility when Sean "the Cablanasian" wasn't able to participate anymore when he got his own show on a rival network to Romes. Sean Pendergast had some of the best takes ever.
same thing happened to JT the Brick, no?

It went down hill fast when he unofficially allowed readers to call in. Before that it was top shelf. Sclar bros crushed Jay Moher's not funny crap back when I still would tune in occasionally. No idea how it is now.

Had to quit listening to that show, the people that call in with those takes are d-bags to the nth degree. And those smackoffs are just horrible. And JT the brick should be JT the #####, beyond awful.

I literally cannot imagine listening to this show. You guys know it's 2014 right? Lots of great podcasts and basically everything imaginable out there.

That was really horrible to me. And Rome praised those last two calls? Ugh. I won't be listening to this again. Glad I didn't miss anything the last 5-6 years.

He won the first smack off (lol), and then paid a San Diego radio station for airtime to launch his horrid radio show.

The year in review is finishing up now.  It will be up on his site around 4pm et I believe.  I just started listening again and it was solid.  Didn't we have a Jungle thread before the board "upgrade?"  I couldn't find it.

Damn, forgot to listen. I kind of gave Rome up after he became more PC over the years, but I usually tune in for the smack off.  Is it worth listening to the replay?

This is still a thing?
I remember being a pretty big Rome fan at one time when it was on the radio here...  he even had one of his pep rally things here that I went to...  a real bro-fest back in 2002-3.. 

I follow him some on social media but didn't know if the show was still any good anymore...  he got really into horse racing and I kind of tailed off in interest

I don't know why I stll listen to this. Everyone tries to mimic Jim in Fall River's pre-recorded donkey shtick these days.

Users who are viewing this thread