What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RBs to Exploit/Avoid...It's time folks! (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
you are the one who said you cant win with Grant. Win what exactly? The guy was solid all year and produced nicely at the end. Has little to no competition for touches. Great bargain on draft day. Good luck with Forte who knows whats gonna happen there with Mad Martz
I did not say you can not win with Grant. I said he will not win it for you. As MOP said it's the guy that you picked later that will make it into the top 5 at his position that will help you win your league. If you find that guy and have Grant as your RB2, you have a good 1-2 punch at RB.
Let me jump in here and say my piece on this. And also this is why I don't inject a lot of stats into my write up, mind you I could do that but I like to save that stuff for when people start debating players and we need more than a gut feeling on how to go about rating the player. 1. Let's break it down to how he scored last year, I always include PPR as the standard and Grant posted totals of 13, 15, 11, and 14 the 1st 4 weeks of the season. Those 4 weeks he was 20th, 20th, 28th, and 16th in the weekly rankings. I understand there are players that hit those top20 top30 marks that are never started by their owners but I am just saying that Grant was nothing special during the early part of the season. In the RB weekly I mentioned that he was good for 10-15 a week but was offering little upside, just steady points which is fine in certain situations. Beyond that he had 2 big games all season where he scored North of 20 which I think is the mark of a big week. 2. He did score 20+ in 2 of the 3 big playoff weeks so owners came away with a sweet taste in their mouth which is probably where this high pick of the late 2nd is coming from. DId you know that Grant did not even catch a ball in weeks 14-17 down the stretch? I would say he offers very little in the passing game on a team that likes to throw. 3. Joseph Addai actually finished the season just a smidge ahead of Grant so I ask the question again...instead of Grant on the 2/3 turn, why not take Addai on the 4/5 turn? Or instead of Grant in the middle of the 3rd, why not Addai in the middle of the 4th? The WR or top flight QB you can get in the 3rd like a Romo(perhaps) or Peyton, or Brady, why not grab one of those and get another back in the 4th with about the same production? It's just food for thought, it's not the end all be all but the way I wrote this is to make owners feel comfortable and realize that they can wait and still come out of the 1st 5-7 rounds with a solid backfield and not have to reach.
Oh I agree in PPR Addai> Grant. And your point is great. Heck a backfield of Addai/Grant might just work after starting WR WR

Ministry of Pain said:
Brandon Jacobs: I've seen him go a few places and usually he slips in drafts as team owners get cold feet and typically want to pass on him. He offers nothing in terms of receptions, and he has to share the load now with Bradshaw who most feel will be a bigger part of the offense. I am not too high on him and when you compare him to possibly taking a guy like Barber who we just discussed I wouldn't see Jacobs as any value. The Giants are trying to become a more vertical team to keep up with teams like Dallas, Philly, and New Orleans so the days of them running it down your throat are starting to fade. Bradshaw can get the job done if he is healthy and adds more dimension to the passing game. I probably pass on Jacobs. Do you really want to have to start this guy every week? That cannot be a recipe for success.
Really? No value?The Giants' coaching staff is saying they want to run the ball more. And if Dallas and Philly are going to be explosive offenses, why not take the air out of the ball?

I don't think he repeats 2008 numbers, but I think he improves on last year. I've got other options, so I don't need to start him. But I did keep him for great depth and maybe the occasional spot start.
Where does Bradshaw fit in?
The same place as last year. I think Bradshaw was ranked right next to Jacobs (might have been a few points ahead) in the final rankings. I think the Giants run more and more effectively this year than last. I think Bradshaw's numbers improve (slightly) as well.IIRC, Bradshaw was #29, Jacobs #30 last year (fairly standard scoring). That's "RB 2 1/2." I wouldn't argue one over the other. But I think there is value there in both.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
you are the one who said you cant win with Grant. Win what exactly? The guy was solid all year and produced nicely at the end. Has little to no competition for touches. Great bargain on draft day. Good luck with Forte who knows whats gonna happen there with Mad Martz
I did not say you can not win with Grant. I said he will not win it for you. As MOP said it's the guy that you picked later that will make it into the top 5 at his position that will help you win your league. If you find that guy and have Grant as your RB2, you have a good 1-2 punch at RB.
Let me jump in here and say my piece on this. And also this is why I don't inject a lot of stats into my write up, mind you I could do that but I like to save that stuff for when people start debating players and we need more than a gut feeling on how to go about rating the player. 1. Let's break it down to how he scored last year, I always include PPR as the standard and Grant posted totals of 13, 15, 11, and 14 the 1st 4 weeks of the season. Those 4 weeks he was 20th, 20th, 28th, and 16th in the weekly rankings. I understand there are players that hit those top20 top30 marks that are never started by their owners but I am just saying that Grant was nothing special during the early part of the season. In the RB weekly I mentioned that he was good for 10-15 a week but was offering little upside, just steady points which is fine in certain situations. Beyond that he had 2 big games all season where he scored North of 20 which I think is the mark of a big week. 2. He did score 20+ in 2 of the 3 big playoff weeks so owners came away with a sweet taste in their mouth which is probably where this high pick of the late 2nd is coming from. DId you know that Grant did not even catch a ball in weeks 14-17 down the stretch? I would say he offers very little in the passing game on a team that likes to throw. 3. Joseph Addai actually finished the season just a smidge ahead of Grant so I ask the question again...instead of Grant on the 2/3 turn, why not take Addai on the 4/5 turn? Or instead of Grant in the middle of the 3rd, why not Addai in the middle of the 4th? The WR or top flight QB you can get in the 3rd like a Romo(perhaps) or Peyton, or Brady, why not grab one of those and get another back in the 4th with about the same production? It's just food for thought, it's not the end all be all but the way I wrote this is to make owners feel comfortable and realize that they can wait and still come out of the 1st 5-7 rounds with a solid backfield and not have to reach.
For PPR, yes that works. For redraft and other formats, Grant is far superior to Addai. At least in my league. Thats why he's worth the 2/3 turn over waiting for Addai at 4/5.

Nice job! Thanks for taking the time as it must have taken days.

However IMO your missing the boat BIGtime on Wells and McCoy
Add R. Grant to that list....
Alright, let's talk about these guys. Try to keep in the context of how I am judging here. Wells and McCoy go about the time you might be able to lock up Benson who is a shoe in for 20 carries a week in that offense. Wells is not going to be on the field in passing situations is he? And McCoy is really an unknown.

I'm a safety first guy and I don't want to give it away in the 3rd when I can find a better option. Addai has been top10 3 times in his career, do you see Wells and McCoy reaching that mark? I'm asking, not trying to pick a fight.

You guys educate me. Tell me why Wells, McCoy, and Grant are worth where they are being drafted vs guys like Benson, Addai, and Best who you can get a round or two later? Grant is a 2/3 turn type and I would much rather have Brandon Marshall or Calvin Johnson in that range. WRs dry up pretty fast. In the 5th and 6th round we are down to folks like Maclin, MSW, Santana Moss. I would rather have the Marshall/Best combo over the Grant/S.Moss combo.
:shrug: I own Wells in several dynasty leagues because of his talent. If he performs like he did at the tail end of the year I will be happy, but there is just too many questions surrounding that team on both sides of the ball to take him when I could have the sure thing in Marshall, CJ, Jennings, White.

Grant is a reliable start, but will not win the league for you. I rather take the sure WR/QB and go with a couple of high reward guys at RB and hope one of them hits the top 5-8.

I don't get the McCoy love. He is in a good situation, but I think people are expecting Westbrook numbers and will be disappointed.

If I had to choose one I would take Wells, but one thing you have to do that you don't have to do for the others is grab the handcuff sooner than I would want because of the injury concerns.
Great effort on this MOP - but to look at McCoy and say he's not Westbrook isn't fair. Not many RB's in this era are or were in his class. #36 was a special player - trust me on that.

also interested in hearing your take on drafting both JStew and Dwill in best ball

you pretty KNOW that ONE of them will go off

2009 (PPR best ball)

week 1 - DWill 17.9

week 2 - Dwill 20.1

Week 3 - Dwill 9.4 (meh....Dallas)

bye

Week 5 - Stew 11.5

Week 6 - DWill 31.2

Week 7 - Dwill 24.9

Week 8 - Dwill 15.8/Stew 20.7

Week 9 - Dwill 30.1

Week 10 - Stew 20.2

Week 11 - Dwill 14.1

Week 12 - DWill 9.0 (meh...NYJ)

Week 13 - Stew 19.6

Week 14 - DWill - 11.7 (meh, NE)

Week 15 - Stew 26.3

Week 16 - Stew 30.2

Week 17 - Stew 18.5

That's not half bad, 13 weeks out of 16 you get at least 14 points, you don't get any worse than 9, and you get 2 starters in one week

2008 PPR BB

Week 1 - DWill 10.0

Week 2 - Stew 19.7

Week 3 - Stew 7.5 (meh, Vikes)

Week 4 - Stew 11.2

Week 5 - DWill 33.8

Week 6 - wow, terrible, DWill 5.5

Week 7 - Dwill 14.0, Stew 14.1

Week 8 - Dwill 20.3

bye

week 10 - DWill 21.3

Week 11 - Dwill 24.0, Stew 20.4 (!!!)

Week 12 - DWill 20.0

Week 13 - DWill 35.6

Week 14 - DWill 32.2, Stew 23.5 (!!!)

Week 15 - DWill 18.1, Stew 11.2

Week 16 - DWill 34.8

Week 17 - DWill 17.8, Stew 11.6

more of the same, only 2 weeks you really get poor performance and you have possibly 5 weeks with 2 rosterable backs

So essentially handcuffing the 2 of them in best ball gives you solid to phenominal production in 28 of the last 32 playable weeks

thoughts?

MoP- does your take on Gore change at all with the Westbrook signing?
My box filled up quick when Westbrook signed. I can tell you I took him in the 20th round in Ult Surv 10 the other night but it was more of putting down a $2 bet on a 50:1 shot...I really don't think Westbrook will impact Gore a whole lot. He just got to SF, has not been in the system since camps and it seems apparent that he was signed when Coffeee retired. If Coffeee does not retire despite being a marginal NFL player the Niners likely do not sign Westbrook. So to assume he comes in and gets 150 carries and 60-70 receptions as some have alluded to, that just seems like crazy talk to this old horse. I would think as the season progresses that Westbrook could fill in at times in the slot because SF doesn't have established WRs, even Crabtree has some growing up to do. But I temper that with the downgrade of a guy like McNabb to Alex SMith who make no mistake is mighty average at best. I'm talking in NFL terms, such as disecting defenses, calling the right plays, leadership abilities...I know he produced 2nd half of the season last year but c'mon he is not a top 10 QB in any discussion. And that ,atters because Westbrook is not a guy that is going to get 20 carries a game, a lot of his production is predicated on the ability of his QB to work him out of th ebackfield...is that gonna happen in SF? I would maybe not assume 20 TDs as I wrote when I was gushing about Gore but also I feel like he should shoot well past 229 carries or whatever he had last year. I see Gore getting somewhere in the 15-18 carry range week to week, maybe a few more when SF has a nice lead. When SF is ahead I can almost assure you that Alex Smith will not be zipping the ball all over the place. I want to see another set of preseason games and then I do want to go back and update some of these book reports I wrote. And once again I want to thank everybody who has been so kind and allowed me the freedom to write my opinions in here, your PMs and emails were much appreciated. I'm really looking forward to the 2010 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
also interested in hearing your take on drafting both JStew and Dwill in best ballyou pretty KNOW that ONE of them will go off2009 (PPR best ball)week 1 - DWill 17.9week 2 - Dwill 20.1Week 3 - Dwill 9.4 (meh....Dallas)byeWeek 5 - Stew 11.5Week 6 - DWill 31.2Week 7 - Dwill 24.9Week 8 - Dwill 15.8/Stew 20.7Week 9 - Dwill 30.1Week 10 - Stew 20.2Week 11 - Dwill 14.1Week 12 - DWill 9.0 (meh...NYJ)Week 13 - Stew 19.6Week 14 - DWill - 11.7 (meh, NE)Week 15 - Stew 26.3Week 16 - Stew 30.2Week 17 - Stew 18.5That's not half bad, 13 weeks out of 16 you get at least 14 points, you don't get any worse than 9, and you get 2 starters in one week2008 PPR BBWeek 1 - DWill 10.0Week 2 - Stew 19.7Week 3 - Stew 7.5 (meh, Vikes)Week 4 - Stew 11.2Week 5 - DWill 33.8Week 6 - wow, terrible, DWill 5.5Week 7 - Dwill 14.0, Stew 14.1Week 8 - Dwill 20.3byeweek 10 - DWill 21.3Week 11 - Dwill 24.0, Stew 20.4 (!!!)Week 12 - DWill 20.0Week 13 - DWill 35.6Week 14 - DWill 32.2, Stew 23.5 (!!!)Week 15 - DWill 18.1, Stew 11.2Week 16 - DWill 34.8Week 17 - DWill 17.8, Stew 11.6more of the same, only 2 weeks you really get poor performance and you have possibly 5 weeks with 2 rosterable backsSo essentially handcuffing the 2 of them in best ball gives you solid to phenominal production in 28 of the last 32 playable weeksthoughts?
In Best Ball they are probably the Rolls Royce of RB1 and RB1A for productivity but you are looking at a 2nd and a possible 3rd to lock them up. I would rather do something like CHarles in the 3rd/4th and TJones in the 11th, or Ronnie Brown in the 5th and RIcky in the 7th/8th, sometimes this can be had later. Harrison and Hardesty can be had in the 7th and beyond, Jones/MB III is a 5th/6th combo...there a re a lot of them and you can load up on other positions early. Otherwise you are chasing WRs the rest of the way and that can be tough.

well I hear you, but it's tough to compare the borderline guaranteed production from dwill/stew to what may or may not happen in KC. Ronnie Brown has been injured so frequently it's almost crazy, Harrison has all of 4 career games that were productive and Hardesty....

Jones/MBIII is another I've been considering though

Haven't seen Stew go THAT early, more like 4th-5th, but it does make WR tough(er)

I don't have as much experience in BB but it makes WRs a lot easier, at least for me since week to week production can be so tough past a very very select few, and is even tough WITH those select few

hmmm....back to the drawing board...

I try to avoid the high-profile timeshare RBs. I rarely, if ever, will draft DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Brandon Jacobs, Ahmad Bradshaw, Marion Barber, or Felix Jones. They will put up big numbers overall but will disappear in too many games (with the possible exception of Barber, who I have drafted in some mocks if he slips). I prefer players like Mendenhall and Grant to Williams and Portis to the latter four.

Three players with low ADPs that I like as sleepers: Michael Bush, Arian foster, and Laurence Maroney. Get two of these to go with two studs and you're golden.

I don't think Westbrook hurts Gore at all, I think it helps. With Westbrook to share the load, Gore just muight start all 16 games. I also don't think Westbrook will get over worked, the concussion issue should make Singeltary use him judiciously. With Westbrook in the wings, Gore won't get over worked.

Turning the corner: Running back Arian Foster will play in the first two quarters along with Steve Slaton. He's looking to follow up on a promising performance at Arizona, where ran for 31 yards on just four carries (7.8 average).

Kubiak thinks Foster, who ran for 216 yards in the final two games of the 2009 season, has turned a corner in his young career.

"Arian is becoming a hell of a football player," Kubiak said. "The way he practices and prepares, the way he goes about his business with blitz pickup, he's going to be a good one if he keeps going.

"He did a 360. It's amazing. Bottom line, he comes out of school and there is a knock against him. We battled him for half a season for some of those standards and he did things. There's come a point that he was going to listen or it wasn't going to happen. Something clicked. He's doing everything we're asking him to do."

Foster went undrafted out of the University of Tennessee in 2009 and spent the first half of his rookie season on the practice squad.

"I got a chance to get a feel for what this league is all about at first a little bit," he said. "That's kind of how my personality is. I kind of play background until I figure out what's going on. Once I figured out what's going on, I saw how professionals handled their business, and you really see that this is a business and you're a businessman, you've got to handle your business as a businessman. Sorry for using ‘business' so much, but it's the truth, man. Guys like Andre Johnson, the way he handles his business inspires me. So I try to operate like he does. No tolerance. No excuses. Just go to work."

Turning the corner: Running back Arian Foster will play in the first two quarters along with Steve Slaton. He's looking to follow up on a promising performance at Arizona, where ran for 31 yards on just four carries (7.8 average).

Kubiak thinks Foster, who ran for 216 yards in the final two games of the 2009 season, has turned a corner in his young career.

"Arian is becoming a hell of a football player," Kubiak said. "The way he practices and prepares, the way he goes about his business with blitz pickup, he's going to be a good one if he keeps going.

"He did a 360. It's amazing. Bottom line, he comes out of school and there is a knock against him. We battled him for half a season for some of those standards and he did things. There's come a point that he was going to listen or it wasn't going to happen. Something clicked. He's doing everything we're asking him to do."

Foster went undrafted out of the University of Tennessee in 2009 and spent the first half of his rookie season on the practice squad.

"I got a chance to get a feel for what this league is all about at first a little bit," he said. "That's kind of how my personality is. I kind of play background until I figure out what's going on. Once I figured out what's going on, I saw how professionals handled their business, and you really see that this is a business and you're a businessman, you've got to handle your business as a businessman. Sorry for using 'business' so much, but it's the truth, man. Guys like Andre Johnson, the way he handles his business inspires me. So I try to operate like he does. No tolerance. No excuses. Just go to work."
Almost sounds like Kubiak is trying to convince himself on Foster.

Great post! Always look forward to your insights and appreciate how much time you spent on this.

I don't completely agree on Addai. I realize that he's a good fit for the Colts' offense and a very capable blocker, which will keep him on the field, but the fact is that he's averaged less than 4.0 YPC the last two seasons and never had 80 yards rushing in a game last season. I think the Colts feel that Brown can give them something that Addai can't, in terms of big play ability, and I do think you'll see him on the field more this season. Not saying that Addai will disappear by any stretch, but I don't know that he's as safe of a pick as you're saying.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since there's a fair amount of Gore discussion here, I figured it was a good place to start.

I'm trying to evaluate the effect of San Fran's Defense on Gore's projections. Obviously, if the defense can keep the score close and generate some turnovers that will positively influence Gore's production. And, I see that San Fran's defense is generally rate pretty high, at least in Fantasy terms. Last year, they were number 4 in total points against, 6th against the rush, but only 21st against the pass. And part of that seems to be the fact that they get to face St. Louis, Arizona and Seattle twice per year. Now, fortunately, they get to face each of those teams twice every year, but how much of their defensive ranking is based on their division opponents versus them really having a stout rush defense? I don't know the answer, I'm seriously curious. Does anyone have an intimate knowledge of their defense and the players to do a meaningful evaluation?

I know this is just one factor that will determine Gore's success, but I'm high on Gore and I think a really good defense will further substantiate his potential claim to a top 5 finish.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but since there's a fair amount of Gore discussion here, I figured it was a good place to start.I'm trying to evaluate the effect of San Fran's Defense on Gore's projections. Obviously, if the defense can keep the score close and generate some turnovers that will positively influence Gore's production. And, I see that San Fran's defense is generally rate pretty high, at least in Fantasy terms. Last year, they were number 4 in total points against, 6th against the rush, but only 21st against the pass. And part of that seems to be the fact that they get to face St. Louis, Arizona and Seattle twice per year. Now, fortunately, they get to face each of those teams twice every year, but how much of their defensive ranking is based on their division opponents versus them really having a stout rush defense? I don't know the answer, I'm seriously curious. Does anyone have an intimate knowledge of their defense and the players to do a meaningful evaluation?I know this is just one factor that will determine Gore's success, but I'm high on Gore and I think a really good defense will further substantiate his potential claim to a top 5 finish.
It's definitely part of the reason I am high on Gore. 6 pretty soft games on defenses in the division and guy like Bradford a rookie, Alex Smith, and an aging Hass with no OL in front of him. Then they have several softer teams outside of that too.

You mention not drafting guys that are waiver wire fodder and only drafting guys that you can envision starting week to week. That's the only thing I disagree on. I generally do the WR WR strategy and for me a huge part of it is ending up with a couple RBs on my roster who will be cant-sit studs if the starter goes down but won't have much value otherwise. for example im targetting guys like chester taylor and tim hightower this year and possibly both even though i don't think either has any value without the starter going down. donald brown is another guy id love to get. mcfadden is another supercheap guy that fits the bill.

im planning on my starting rb's being portis and addai or mb3 and i love your analysis on these guys but on my bench i want a bunch of guys with the potential to be true studs rather than squeamish spot starts.

basically in the end i have 6 RB's but only 3 of them who I am confident will be getting a lot of touches to start the year. a cheap guy like cadilac williams is someone i truly covet because i KNOW the touches will be there so I just need the matchup to be right. so i play matchup games with my first 3 and then pray that i hit some homeruns with my stashed guys.

its not a problem to fill up your roster with 6 rb's because you are so set at the other positions that its ok to have a really thin bench. note its important to not pick defenses or kickers that you want all year because you cant afford the extra roster slot during their bye weeks.

and yea this strategy probably falls apart if any other people in your league do it but nobody in mine has yet despite my continued success with it.

great topic.

Just wondering if your opinion about Jahvid Best has changed after the first couple of preseason games and now that the hype train is some what out of control...

Really enjoy reading your stuff btw. :thumbup:

Fantastic analysis MOP. I was wondering what your take is on handcuffs? To land guys like Scott & Dixon, you could be drafting upside guys like L. Robinson, L.Murphy, M. Williams (SEA), L. Moore, B. Tate, J. Jones (GB), M. Thomas & M. Mannigham. These guys would also be helpfull for bye weeks & injuries. The only time the handcuff can be used is when the starter is out.

What are thoughts on MJD now?
The Week 1 thread will be out in the next day or two...maybe tomorrow or Labor Day so folks can sit back and read it. It's every bit as lengthy as this one. I'm just kind of waiting to see final roster cuts. The blood and guts of it are already done. What is the prognosis for MJD right now? Is there a chance he will miss week 1? I am leery of the way the information leaked slowly on this. Edited to add: Says he is on pace to practice this Monday, seems like he should be good to go in a week.

The Week 1 thread will be out in the next day or two...maybe tomorrow or Labor Day so folks can sit back and read it. It's every bit as lengthy as this one. I'm just kind of waiting to see final roster cuts. The blood and guts of it are already done. What is the prognosis for MJD right now? Is there a chance he will miss week 1? I am leery of the way the information leaked slowly on this. Edited to add: Says he is on pace to practice this Monday, seems like he should be good to go in a week.
Was wondering more in general doesthe injury scare you guys away or take him at 3 and don't look back?

note its important to not pick defenses or kickers that you want all year because you cant afford the extra roster slot during their bye weeks.
I follow a similiar strategy as well. I don't mind picking the best defense I can though. I like to pick one that has a late bye week. Then I watch for other owners to drop one (or an unheralded defense to emerge) I am happy with AFTER their bye week and trade defenses. Some leagues might not afford that opportunity, but it works for me well in leagues where there is often a good bit of defense turnover.

Was wondering more in general doesthe injury scare you guys away or take him at 3 and don't look back?
I understand MJD is a bonafide stud. Do you still pick him in the #3 or #4 slot or go with Gore or even Turner in a non PPR and TD heavy league? Me thinking Turner now? You MOP?

I understand MJD is a bonafide stud. Do you still pick him in the #3 or #4 slot or go with Gore or even Turner in a non PPR and TD heavy league? Me thinking Turner now? You MOP?
To both you and Bird, I cannot see why you would pass on him when he shined as a starter last year. He isn't injured enough to keep him from practicing. I think it's a safe pick all things considered.

To both you and Bird, I cannot see why you would pass on him when he shined as a starter last year. He isn't injured enough to keep him from practicing. I think it's a safe pick all things considered.
Appreciate the input.....was lucky enough to have a Bears fan in front of me that let ADP drop to 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread