What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joey Harrington is a baby (1 Viewer)

Yeah, it's obvious he's trying everything to get Detroit to release him. And I say RELEASE HIM! Just let him go, and move on...

Gee, I can't imagine why the fans wouldn't have love for Joey or have a loser mentality? Could it be that the Lions have won like, off the top of my head, 16 games in 5 years? Or to put into perspective, as many games as the Colts won last season alone?
Yes, and to think that, despite that record, they've won as many SBs as Indy, too.Weird.

Gee, I can't imagine why the fans wouldn't have love for Joey or have a loser mentality?  Could it be that the Lions have won like, off the top of my head,  16 games in 5 years?  Or to put into perspective, as many games as the Colts won last season alone?
Yes, and to think that, despite that record, they've won as many SBs as Indy, too.Weird.
:lmao: :goodposting: :lmao: Edit: They may have had a more exciting of a year but at least the Lions have a better draft pick!!! Also Detroit fans didn't have the high expectations so it didn't hurt as much to see our team choke.

Last edited by a moderator:
No question the organization didn't really help Joey out while he was in the D. His teammates are lazy and terrible, the organization has no direction and the coaches he played for were incompetent and ran a terrible offense.

Having said all of that, clearly Joey has to take a large portion of the blame also. He was mostly awful, awful, awful. When they did give him a shot, he'd have one good game and then 6 bad ones.

It's reasonable for people to slam the Lions - they deserve it. But Joey deserves to be slammed, too.

Both sides are right to end this relationship.

I think Harrington will be a solid backup in the NFL. In detroit, he had Millien, ###### coaches, WRs that were either hurt or didnt make any effort and an awful OLine. Harrington can play in the NFL.

:lmao: :goodposting: :lmao:

Edit: They may have had a more exciting of a year but at least the Lions have a better draft pick!!! Also Detroit fans didn't have the high expectations so it didn't hurt as much to see our team choke.
Actually - and no offense hutchins, since I have little expectations for the Lions either, but that is exactly what Harrington was talking about. And it's not a reflection of the past 5 years - it's the past 50 years (or however long its been since they were consistently good, and I'm not talking about a fluke Scott Mitchell year). The city has no expectations of anything outta the Lions - just the quote, oh it's just the same old Lions, is what Joey was getting at during that interview. He actually said he'd rather that people either get mad and quit being fans, or start REALLY standing up for and supporting your team (the Lions). Not just being neutral in the whole thing.But it's not just the fans he was discussing. He sounded like that kinda expectation was coming from within the organization as well, and that would be incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad he and the Lions are parting ways, and I wish him the best of luck elsewhere.

Edit: They may have had a more exciting of a year but at least the Lions have a better draft pick!!! Also Detroit fans didn't have the high expectations so it didn't hurt as much to see our team choke.
Actually - and no offense hutchins, since I have little expectations for the Lions either, but that is exactly what Harrington was talking about. And it's not a reflection of the past 5 years - it's the past 50 years (or however long its been since they were consistently good, and I'm not talking about a fluke Scott Mitchell year). The city has no expectations of anything outta the Lions - just the quote, oh it's just the same old Lions, is what Joey was getting at during that interview. He actually said he'd rather that people either get mad and quit being fans, or start REALLY standing up for and supporting your team (the Lions). Not just being neutral in the whole thing.But it's not just the fans he was discussing. He sounded like that kinda expectation was coming from within the organization as well, and that would be incredibly frustrating.

I'm glad he and the Lions are parting ways, and I wish him the best of luck elsewhere.
It's a losing organization that has failed to bring in a coach who will bring a winning attitude. The Bengals were the joke of the NFL until Marvin Lewis came in and changed the mentality of the organization.

It's a losing organization that has failed to bring in a coach who will bring a winning attitude. The Bengals were the joke of the NFL until Marvin Lewis came in and changed the mentality of the organization.
Is Marinelli the answer?

Is Marinelli the answer?
I'm not sure yet, but getting Martz and getting rid of Harrington is a good start. One of the things Lewis had to do in Cincy was improve team chemistry and did that by cleaning house of the players who were part of the losing mentality, including Dillon. It's not about talent IMO, I think there gets to be too much bad blood in a locker room and the negativity is contagious. Harrington became the scapegoat for a lot of Lions players (most notably Dre Bly) who instead of looking at their own game tried to blame the team's failures on someone else. Like Lewis, Marinelli is a first time head coach and has the enthusiasm for the job. As a former defensive line coach he'll focus on the defense and let Martz handle the offense where Martz will demand perfection from the players - something that the team has always seemed to have lacked.

Is Marinelli the answer?
I'm not sure yet, but getting Martz and getting rid of Harrington is a good start. One of the things Lewis had to do in Cincy was improve team chemistry and did that by cleaning house of the players who were part of the losing mentality, including Dillon. It's not about talent IMO, I think there gets to be too much bad blood in a locker room and the negativity is contagious. Harrington became the scapegoat for a lot of Lions players (most notably Dre Bly) who instead of looking at their own game tried to blame the team's failures on someone else. Like Lewis, Marinelli is a first time head coach and has the enthusiasm for the job. As a former defensive line coach he'll focus on the defense and let Martz handle the offense where Martz will demand perfection from the players - something that the team has always seemed to have lacked.
:goodposting: Nice brief analysis. Everyone is saying and doing the right thing at the top right now, but that's to be expected. I'll wait to see what's put on the field, how they handle the draft, the offseason, etc.

Lions fans have to be happy to see this guy go. He just never seemed mentally tough enough to handle the rigors of being an NFL QB. Woe to the team that gives him a chance to start.
Lack of mental toughness may be part of the issue. The fact that they drafted WR in the first round for 3 straight years instead of getting O-line help may be another issue. Or the fact that they had morons for head coaches that couldn't get all their "weapons" to perform as expected. Seriously, Harrington, K Jones, R Williams, and Charles Rogers were highly touted coming out of college and none of them, so far, has performed worthy of their draft spot. Is it Harrington's fault that K Jones wasn't utilized properly or inconsistent? Is it Harrington's fault his WR's are always hurt or inconsistent? I kinda feel sorry for the guy. I hope a change of scenery helps his career. I don't think people should just say Harrington sucks without taking into consideration all of the factors.
:goodposting: I started reading all of the posts & this is what I was thinking as well. Instability at the head coaching position hurts as well. This team has many more needs, we all know that. Kitna & McCown are good signings but everyone thinking one of them will be the savior of this franchise need to temper those expectations.

I think Harrington will be a solid backup in the NFL. In detroit, he had Millien, ###### coaches, WRs that were either hurt or didnt make any effort and an awful OLine. Harrington can play in the NFL.
if you are an underachieving QB like Harrington you have to be an idiot to not want to play under Martz

if you are an underachieving QB like Harrington you have to be an idiot to not want to play under Martz
It wasn't about Martz, it was the players on the team that didn't respect him. I'm sure he had high hopes going in but once he was around his teammates he knew it wasn't going to work.

AP article on ESPN.com

Marinelli: Lions 'move on' without QB Harrington

Associated Press

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions are parting ways with Joey Harrington after four turbulent seasons in which the former third overall draft pick went from franchise savior to fans' scourge.

Although he declined to say whether Harrington had been released, coach Rod Marinelli told reporters Monday: "We've made a decision to move on."

"At this moment, he's not with us," Marinelli said. "That's been my decision."

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumor from other sites have him going to Seattle to back up Hasselbeck.
i'm seeing rumors of him going to KC for a 6th round pick. I would be disapointed in anything less than a 4th rounder.

i'm seeing rumors of him going to KC for a 6th round pick. I would be disapointed in anything less than a 4th rounder.
You would? I'd be estatic if they get anything for him. Everyone knows he'll get cut.

You would? I'd be estatic if they get anything for him. Everyone knows he'll get cut.
I agree, considering they'd have to rework his contract to trade him. His present deal makes him a liability to whoever takes him on.

yeah....he's a baby :rolleyes:

Thanks for your email. Dan. I think I will use it as a way to respond to the flood of emails I have received over the past few weeks. I have never had so many in such a short period of time. First of all, I haven't been answering any emails on this website because I just returned from a vacation. I had it planned many months ago and it just happened to occur right at the end of the three day QB session I attended in Detroit. I know so many of you have written to express your support and I really appreciate it. In regard to my parting ways with the Lions, I really don't want to get into any specifics - especially since I have not officially been released or traded. I am sorry it didn't work out like I hoped it would. I have been treated very well by Matt Millen and my first impression of Coach Marinelli was positive and I think he will be bring some much needed dicipline and motivation to the team. Right now, I have a number of options which I am excited about. I have talked to quite a few teams that have shown interest in me and I am narrowing my list of teams to a few and then probably will visit them in the next week. Hopefully, my situation will be resolved sooner than later. In response to one fan, I will maintain this website and continue the work of our family foundation. Thanks to everyone for your support.

www.joeyharrington3.com/askjoey.cfm

I agree, considering they'd have to rework his contract to trade him. His present deal makes him a liability to whoever takes him on.
With his contract, he is getting cut. He would have to renegotiate his contract for his new team anyway and there no motivation for him to help the Lions get a draft pick. He'll just wait until he's released and go to a team that wants him. The Dolphins or Chiefs are most likely IMO.

Rumor has it that the Chiefs offered as high as a 3rd rounder for Joey, but needed him to restructure his contract. Joey and his agent said no.

So much for the "Harrington was so determined to leave the team that, according to sources, he said he'd be willing to restructure his contract in any way that would quicken his release. "

Users who are viewing this thread