What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Abraham impact (1 Viewer)

John Norton

Staff member
Just thought I would throw out my thoughts on this one.

first I am a little surprised that Jerry Jones didn't send a golden jet to whisk him away before he could sign.

I am a little surprised that Abraham signed with a 3-4 team, so the first thing I want to know is his role. So far the Cardinals haven't commented on that. For those who may be drafting this weekend, this is what I anticipate.

He is 35 years old and has been a 4-3 end for his entire career, so I don't see them trying to make him drop in coverage. He is 263 pounds and working in space as an outside rusher is what makes him successful. So I don't see them playing him at end.

To me that leaves only some sort of sub package role as a situational pass rusher. That would allow him to stay fresh and effective but it also means limited opportunity. I am not putting much value on him at this point.

Any chance it'll affect Calais Campbell's production, or are we talking minimal change here?

They may have him line up wide like a rush 3-4 linebacker but let him put his hand down. That would make it harder to disguise the coverage but they may be willing to make the trade. It very well could mean a few more 4-3 looks also, but I still don't see him being an every down guy. They aren't going to revamp their scheme for a 35 year old rent-a-player.

I don't see anything here that would make me think Campbell would be significantly affected. If anything, the extra pass rush might help a little by taking some pressure off.

FWIW I love the pass rush that John Abraham brings however the Boys switched from Rob Ryan's 3-4 to Monte Kiffin's Tampa cover-two.

Kiffin doesn't pigeon hole his scheme to one particular base but we know his base when he gained fame with the Bucs was when he fashioned the Tampa cover-two which had a standard 4-3 base.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2013/06/24/organization-report-monte-kiffin-defense/2452227/

... Out is former coordinator Rob Ryan and the 3-4 scheme that had been in place since Bill Parcells was Dallas' head coach. Enter 73-year-old Monte Kiffin, who last ran an NFL defense in 2008, and the Cover 2 scheme he helped popularize with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

... Kiffin praised Ryan, who was often criticized for an overly complicated playbook, while noting the myriad injuries the defense absorbed in 2012. But the new areas of emphasis are evident.

"I don't think it's 4-3 or 3-4," Kiffin says of the scheme switch, one some players equate to learning a foreign language while others says it's nothing more than adapting to a new dialect. "It goes back to your philosophy.

FWIW I love the pass rush that John Abraham brings however the Boys switched from Rob Ryan's 3-4 to Monte Kiffin's Tampa cover-two.

Kiffin doesn't pigeon hole his scheme to one particular base but we know his base when he gained fame with the Bucs was when he fashioned the Tampa cover-two which had a standard 4-3 base.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2013/06/24/organization-report-monte-kiffin-defense/2452227/

... Out is former coordinator Rob Ryan and the 3-4 scheme that had been in place since Bill Parcells was Dallas' head coach. Enter 73-year-old Monte Kiffin, who last ran an NFL defense in 2008, and the Cover 2 scheme he helped popularize with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

... Kiffin praised Ryan, who was often criticized for an overly complicated playbook, while noting the myriad injuries the defense absorbed in 2012. But the new areas of emphasis are evident.

"I don't think it's 4-3 or 3-4," Kiffin says of the scheme switch, one some players equate to learning a foreign language while others says it's nothing more than adapting to a new dialect. "It goes back to your philosophy.
:confused:

John Abraham signed with the Cardinals who are expected to continue playing 3-4

:confused:

John Abraham signed with the Cardinals who are expected to continue playing 3-4
Lol, my bad. Someone mentioned Jerry Jones sending his plane so I mistakenly thought he got snared by Dallas.

Users who are viewing this thread