What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (1 Viewer)

Floyd isn't anywhere near as good as people here claim and Fitz went all the way til the 4th Q til he got his first catch.

His play is going to demand more time on the field.

I think you trade for him now

I noticed RBs got 12 targets in this game (Ellington 5, Dwyer 3, Taylor 3, Hughes 1). Was that possibly a game plan thing vs the Chargers? Many of them seemed by design to me, as Palmer was looking for the flat route ASAP. But I thought it outside of Arians wheelhouse to throw to the backs and TEs (4 targets) quite so much. Perhaps more of those targets go to Fitz (most assuredly) and John Brown (possibly) next week. I know I'd prefer to see what JB could do with the ball in his hands in the flats over Dwyer.

Bri said:
Floyd isn't anywhere near as good as people here claim and Fitz went all the way til the 4th Q til he got his first catch.

Can you give your opinion on why Floyd cannot be a #1 WR in this offense? I think between his good size, my ball mentality, excellent hands, and enough speed to get behind the defense he sets up nicely to be the top target.

Bri said:

Can you give your opinion on why Floyd cannot be a #1 WR in this offense? I think between his good size, my ball mentality, excellent hands, and enough speed to get behind the defense he sets up nicely to be the top target.
He can be a #1 WR, but he's not awesome

There's a lot of Fitzgerald talk now. His Dad griping on twitter, him saying his dad doesn't speak for him.

This guy at ESPN says Cards need to start their O thru him

http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/8797/fitzgerald-opens-offense-for-cardinals

This article, at very end, is already implying he might hit the open market after this season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000392312/article/arians-cardinals-wont-force-ball-to-larry-fitzgerald

To me-all of this above only happens because Brown looks like the real deal. Without, we'd never hear any of this

That is deep.

That is deep.
sorry I can't recap years of people adoring this guy

That is deep.

That is deep.
I am just joking. I don't think he will be a top 5 guy but I have a hard time pinpointing the downside. He has improved in each of his years and has a great physical makeup. Not a big deal I was just curious on why you don't think he can awesome (top 10).

I'm told John Brown was targeted 6 times against San Francisco - 2 touchdowns. From the sounds of it he should have had a 3rd but he ran the wrong route.

got an offer of TY Hilton and Bryce Brown for Brown and change today. that can't be his real value already can it or is something wrong with TY?

Last edited by a moderator:
got an offer of TY Hilton and Bryce Brown for Brown and change today. that can't be his real value already can it or is something wrong with TY?
I believe Hilton got hurt but I don't think anything serious. I'd definitely rather have Hilton and Bryce than Brown though.

Sabertooth said:
He obviously has some talent. He reminds me of Greg Jennings when he was a rookie. Just came in and fit right in.
Dude is a mini Marvin Harrison. Even looks like him.

I'm surprised he hasn't been given more work. The cliche all he does is catch TDs actually fits this guy.

I don't watch many Cardinals games and didn't see Floyd's one catch games on 6 and 7 targets. If the starter is struggling(and/or timing with the QB isn't clicking) why not call more plays for Brown?

The 75 yard touchdown was on terribly blown coverage. Easy catch in stride, maintained his balance and managed to stay just enough ahead of the DBs to be tackled as he scored. His other grabs were pretty solid, I didn't see anything spectacular. I can see him getting a bump with Palmer playing. Great dynasty guy, but I don't know if he beats Floyd outright for the WR#2 spot this year. He should get some snaps and be able to take advantage against teams' weaker DBs. If he gets behind the coverage he can torch them for some big plays.

The 75 yard touchdown was on terribly blown coverage. Easy catch in stride, maintained his balance and managed to stay just enough ahead of the DBs to be tackled as he scored. His other grabs were pretty solid, I didn't see anything spectacular. I can see him getting a bump with Palmer playing. Great dynasty guy, but I don't know if he beats Floyd outright for the WR#2 spot this year. He should get some snaps and be able to take advantage against teams' weaker DBs. If he gets behind the coverage he can torch them for some big plays.
Brown had an amazing grab in the first half. Don't know what world you live in but there's zero chance he beats out Floyd and I don't think anybody else in this thread believes that. It's possible he gets more looks and then gets the wr2 job next year if Fitzgerald leaves.

Brown had an amazing grab in the first half. Don't know what world you live in but there's zero chance he beats out Floyd and I don't think anybody else in this thread believes that. It's possible he gets more looks and then gets the wr2 job next year if Fitzgerald leaves.
If these guys continue at their current pace, would Fitz evenwant to leave? Toughest division in football and they are leading it. Still waiting for a Palmer meltdown.

As small as he is, he needs an accurate QB. They need to draft a replacement for Palmer in the next year or 2.

NFL Week 8: Cardinals' John Brown turns on jets to smoke the Eagles

Excerpt:

The man with the NFL's most ordinary name was anything but.

Arizona's John Brown was an arrow through the heart of the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, catching a 75-yard touchdown pass from Carson Palmer with 1 minute 22 seconds left to lift the Cardinals to a 24-20 victory in a showdown of one-loss teams.

On a day when there were big catches by several rookie receivers — Buffalo's Sammy Watkins, Carolina's Kelvin Benjamin, Tampa Bay's Mike Evans — Brown stole the spotlight. His nickname is "Smoke," which is appropriate considering the vapor trails he leaves on pass routes.

"I've seen that gear he has," Palmer said. "I've seen it in practice. I've seen it in games. He puts it in fourth, fifth and into sixth gear to go get it."

When did Brown know that the ball was coming to him?

"When they had the safety in the middle of the field," he said. "They had two safeties outside and no guy over me and Carson gave me a signal. Carson is always looking for the big play, so I knew I had to turn it on."

He's my annoying can't start, can't cut guy in FF.

Why did Floyd stink?

Any thoughts on predicting Brown's good weeks?

He's my annoying can't start, can't cut guy in FF.

Why did Floyd stink?

Any thoughts on predicting Brown's good weeks?
Brown, Floyd and Ellington all have 43 targets. Fitz is at 49. So all fairly close which is a pretty good formula for inconsistent weeks since none are high volume target monsters.

He's an older rookie but still a rookie and one taking a giant step up in competition. He'll get better and more consistent but I'd imagine this season will be a roller coaster. Hard to start with confidence but always usable is how I see his year going.

Why did Floyd stink? Don't know but would speculate the injury might have had an impact on him. I recall watching him run a few routes after he re-entered the game and just did not look like he was full speed.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Bill Polian said on NFL Insiders Monday that Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told him third-round rookie WR John Brown "reminds me of Marvin Harrison."

It's high praise from Arians, who worked on the Colts' staff from 1998-2000 when Harrison was in his prime. Harrison stood 6-foot, 185 pounds while Brown goes 5-foot-10, 179 with 4.34 speed. Brown busted out for five catches, 119 yards, and a touchdown in Sunday's win over the Eagles. Although he will continue to be an inconsistent WR3 option in re-draft leagues, fantasy owners who secured Brown in Dynasty drafts should be licking their chops.

Oct 27 - 4:10 PM

Lol at

Big deal Cards GM, I knew it after seeing one exhibition game. You are not special. I was one of the first people to proclaim that he is a mini Marvin Harrison.
:lmao: One of the first people huh?
Yeah, I was.
I'll give you credit for being one of the first here but I think you're ahead of yourself if you think you spotted it before the Cards GM because you saw it in an exhibition game. I'm guessing he noticed it long before than. :wink:

Shorter version of Marvin Harrison.
I just can't announce it on this board or it throws up a 'green light special' to others that are in my dynasty league. I thought this way before I posted it. Our draft was on August 2nd.

I cannot comment on players that I think are good until after our dynasty drafts.

Rotoworld:

John Brown caught five passes for 73 yards and one touchdown in the Cardinals' Week 10 win over the Rams.

Brown was targeted nine times, just one behind Larry Fitzgerald for the team lead. Meanwhile, Michael Floyd caught just 1-of-4 targets. As guest analyst and current Colts QB Matt Hasselbeck pointed out as a guest analyst, Brown is running all the T.Y. Hilton routes in Bruce Arians' offense. Brown has the highest upside in Arizona's pass game. He's a weekly WR4 dart-toss.

Nov 9 - 8:15 PM

Lol at

Big deal Cards GM, I knew it after seeing one exhibition game. You are not special. I was one of the first people to proclaim that he is a mini Marvin Harrison.
:lmao: One of the first people huh?
Yeah, I was.
Shorter version of Marvin Harrison.
I just can't announce it on this board or it throws up a 'green light special' to others that are in my dynasty league. I thought this way before I posted it. Our draft was on August 2nd.

I cannot comment on players that I think are good until after our dynasty drafts.
:lmao: I've had my league mates tailing me for years. I scouted John Brown back when he was at Mars Hill College when I was working for Blesto.

Same here lod1. Ever since my blog blew up this past season, my Twitter has been flooded with people constantly asking me for Fantasy Advice.

So fitz hasnt practiced all week and may not even play. Where would you put brown at under these circumstance? Borderline wr2/3?

Arizona Cardinals Rumors: Larry Fitzgerald Injury Has John Brown, Michael Floyd Fantasy WR Start Options Week 12Excerpt:

John Brown is a smart start option for fantasy owners if Fitzgerald can't go, as he has been one of the best sleepers in the league this year. Brown has been strong as a rookie, going for 34 catches for 468 yards and five TDs and he has been excellent over the past two weeks, making 10 receptions in that time. Brown had a TD two weeks ago against the Rams and in the game last week he had five catches for 69 yards against a tough Lions team.

Seems like a forgotten man. I own him in two dynasty leagues I am in, and it just seems like his value is kind of low. Thoughts? I thought he looked great last year logging a very solid 48 - 696 - 5 stat line.

I own him in a league. No one has expressed interest, but I wouldn't move him for his current value either. He is clearly a hold in my book.

Funny enough, I own Martavis Bryant in the same league, and have gotten a couple offers in the late first/early second range. I really think both guys are in the same tier though.

I do to. Looking at targets last season, Brown had 100 whereas Bryant only got 48. It's funny because it seems like the tall guys get all the love. Just like real life :kicksrock:

Might be a nice sleeper in return yardage leagues, especially dynasties or ones that draft early (before less attentive owners are thinking about the KR game, or see who is returning kicks during preseason).

Arizona cut Ginn, and Brown was the primary KR backup last year (with plenty of college success/experience). Pretty sure he backs up Peterson for punts as well. Arians let Hilton do punts and some kick returns in Indy while he was OC there, so there's a precedent.

The 3rd receiver slot + some KR duty could make Brown a pretty decent option in that format. I'd at least test the waters on him if the Cardinals don't appear to address their return game during the draft.

I think he's being undervalued. In the league where I own him I've mentioned his name in a couple trade discussions and there's been no interest. One guy even said he didn't think brown would ever catch more than 50 balls (He caught 48 as a rookie).

Rotoworld:

The Arizona Republic's Bob McManaman expects "big things" from Cardinals second-year WR John Brown this season.
It's going to be awfully hard for Brown to improve on his 94 targets as a rookie, barring an injury, because Larry Fitzgerald is returning on a new two-year contract. Coach Bruce Arians has also said he expects a bigger year out of Michael Floyd. The Cardinals love "Smokey" Brown, but he may have to sit tight for another year or two. Arizona is also expected to run the ball more in 2015.

Source: Arizona Republic
Apr 17 - 10:19 AM

Users who are viewing this thread