What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Mellencamp (1 Viewer)

Back in the day when I was working concert catering as a high schooler he would pack a portable basketball hoop in his trucks so he and his band/crew could shoot hoops in the parking lot.  

Not surprising considering where he is from. That crumbling down, pink house with the scarecrow in that small town in Indiana.

Back in the day when I was working concert catering as a high schooler he would pack a portable basketball hoop in his trucks so he and his band/crew could shoot hoops in the parking lot.  

Not surprising considering where he is from. That crumbling down, pink house with the scarecrow in that small town in Indiana.

Always enjoyed his music.

2 years ago I was in Naples Florida and my wife was doing some shopping.  At this little store I see the clerk talking to a guy and then I see him autograph something. I look close and the clerk said it was Mellencamp and he vacations in Naples.   John looked so small and old compared then when I have seen him on TV.  John looked to be about 5-6 and 140lbs soaking wet.

"I Need A Lover" dwarfs the rest of his oeuvre, imo -  shoulda been MUCH bigger than the lil' ditty and all that other ... stuff. 

:popcorn:

Agree. That song is on my running playlists. I just love how that song builds and builds. Just a really good rock and roll song.

That's interesting.  I'm definitely a fan of rock, but that's probably my least favorite of his hits.

Guess I'll have to listen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's interesting.  I'm definitely a fan of rock, but that's probably my least favorite of his hits.

Guess I'll have to listen again.

it was a very refreshing blast of bombastic Americana, smack dab in the midst of the Post Punk/New Wave/Goth/Metal that was dominating much of my preferred listening, circa '82ish. 

it just grabbed me, and i am an unabashed champion of it. 

Pink Houses 👍
Hurts So Good 👍
Authority Song 👍
Small Town 👍
Cherry Bomb 🤢
Ain't Even Done With The Night 👍
Jack and Diane 👍
Crumblin' Down 🤢
R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. 🤢
Lonely Ol' Night 👍
I Need a Lover 🤢

Edited 32 minutes 

Don't remember what caused us to put Mellencamp on when my wife and I did a mini road trip last year, but we shuffle the play list that stemmed from it at least once every other week or so since. Hurts So Good...Small Town...Cherry Bomb...Pink Houses...ROCK in the USA...Authority Song...I Need A Lover...Lonely Ol' Night...Crumblin' Down...Paper In Fire...Play Guitar...Wild Night.

Not a fan of Ain't Even Done With The Night, Check It Out, nor Jack & Diane but am wondering if we're missing anything else.

Don't remember what caused us to put Mellencamp on when my wife and I did a mini road trip last year, but we shuffle the play list that stemmed from it at least once every other week or so since. Hurts So Good...Small Town...Cherry Bomb...Pink Houses...ROCK in the USA...Authority Song...I Need A Lover...Lonely Ol' Night...Crumblin' Down...Paper In Fire...Play Guitar...Wild Night.

Not a fan of Ain't Even Done With The Night, Check It Out, nor Jack & Diane but am wondering if we're missing anything else.
Minutes to Memories

I guess besides the nostalgia inspired by the music itself, the lyrics bring me back to my days growing up.

Had the privilege to hang around him in the late 80’s.  Was on the tour bus for Farm Aid 3, in Lincoln, Nebraska.  Picked up Lou Reed in Louisville on the way.  Met Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson.  I remember sitting on the scaffolding, side stage, and felt someone sit right next to me..was Neil Young, right before he was about to go onstage.  Saw him record the Lonesome Jubilee album in his home studio.  Also met some interesting, bizarre celebrities at his home.  He loved sports, and I played basketball and flag football with him.  He had to take a smoke break about every 3 minutes. He used to host a flag football game against music acts/roadies, that were performing in the area.  I seem to remember Todd Rundgren and his crew, but may be wrong about that. He was always the QB.  Very nice, generous, down to earth guy, as were the rest of his band/family. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent some decades in his original stomping grounds.

I never saw him around, though I had friends who did (one who played pinball with him, one who saw him in Sam's Club, my daughter seeing him in a downtown music store)

He is a legend to me.

Oh, I did see him in concert in Assembly Hall in Bloomington.....

I'm a big fan but I still can't believe he included the song Jackie O on Uh-huh. Doesn't fit at all with the rest of the album. Supposedly John Prine wrote most of it but no way it would have sounded like this if Prine had released it.

Jackie O

All I can think of when I hear his name is him smoking 4 packs of cigs a day

Figure 6 hours of sleep min.

That leaves 18 hours left in a day

That's 4+ cigs per hour for every waking hour.  

Goodness

Love me some Mellencamp. Growing up in the Midwest in the 80s, John was required listening and we loved it. "Check it out" is my favorite and "rain on the scarecrow" is a banger too. 

Users who are viewing this thread