What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite Cash? (1 Viewer)

Ron Swanson

Footballguy
I can't say I always loved Johnny Cash's music. It was just always kind of on as background music but never in focus for me growing up. In fact, the first time I really recall hearing "Ring of Fire" was a cover by a friend's punk band when I was a teenager. The second time I heard it was Social D's version. Johnny was third.

I've since grown to love most of his catalog. In that spirit, what's your favorite Johnny Cash song? Here's mine:

Tennnesee Flat Top Box

I also came to him later in life. I also think in the '70s and '80s his sound got too bloated; Rick Rubin really helped him get back to his roots.

So many songs that I love, but in terms of the mood it puts me in, I'd have to say "Flesh and Blood". Every summer we spend a couple weeks in rural Maine, and that song captures exactly what I love so much about the experience. (I actually had a plan to sing that song to my wife as I proposed to her during a hike, but the timing didn't really work so I just asked her)

"Bird On A Wire"

A Leonard Cohen song.

I have no idea why, but it's the first one in my head and the most memorable, so I'll go with it.

Yeah, I had a plan that in retrospect would never have worked

It's the whole word "flesh" and the phrase "flesh and blood" that's throwing me here. Unless you're awash in typical Biblical usage, they're jarring words for a modern woman to hear in a romantic sense. That's all I was trying to say without really delving into it.

Yeah, I had a plan that in retrospect would never have worked

It's the whole word "flesh" and the phrase "flesh and blood" that's throwing me here. Unless you're awash in typical Biblical usage, they're jarring words for a modern woman to hear in a romantic sense. That's all I was trying to say without really delving into it.
Oh, I never even thought of that. I can guarantee you that wouldn't have been an issue, because my wife never pays attention to lyrics. (For the first dance at our wedding, she proposed an Amy Winehouse song that she liked and I was like, "Um, that song is about a breakup.")

It was more that there was no way for me to randomly start singing to her in the middle of a hike without her saying, "What are you doing? Are you about to propose?"

For those with young kids, he put out a children's album with some real bangers: Nasty Dan, One and One Make Two, I Got a Boy and His Name Is John, etc

Big fan...too many to pick the best. Maybe Sunday Morning.
Hurt really is hard to listen to sometimes.

Sunday Morning Come Down
He was so good playing cover songs. This is one of my favorites, and I'm not a big Springsteen guy at all.

Yeah, his covers are terrific. My favorite cover of his is Rowboat, which is a really obscure Beck song that he wrote in 20 minutes because he booked a session with a pedal-steel guitar player but didn't have any songs holstered. So he just came up with it and when Beck opened for Cash in '95 in LA, he must have heard it and it resonated. The version by Cash is just beautiful, man.

Sunday Morning Come Down
While I like this song, his studio version came out when the use of strings was popular and I don't like the way the music contradicts the lyrics. I prefer the author Kristofferson on this one.
i am a fan of most of the American Recordings, When The Man Comes Around or his cover of Solitary Man are probably my favorites.

I can't say I always loved Johnny Cash's music. It was just always kind of on as background music but never in focus for me growing up. In fact, the first time I really recall hearing "Ring of Fire" was a cover by a friend's punk band when I was a teenager. The second time I heard it was Social D's version. Johnny was third.

I've since grown to love most of his catalog. In that spirit, what's your favorite Johnny Cash song? Here's mine:

Tennnesee Flat Top Box
I imagine you’ve heard it before , but just in case you haven’t , you should check out Roseanne’s version. One of my favorite country songs

Folsom Prison Blues is my tried and tested favorite. Him and Dylan were hip hop before it took shape.

Enjoying the Tennessee Flat Top Box track you posted. First time hearing it. Love that guitar riff and progression during the bridge.

Last edited:
I was going to post Hurt, which is easily my favorite song of his. Even Trent Reznor said "It's not my song anymore, it's his"
Bill Simmons has a whole theory that the Wallflowers were never the same after they brought Bruce on stage to perform "One Headlight" with them; they should have just declared it would be his song going forward

Tennnesee Flat Top Box
I imagine you’ve heard it before , but just in case you haven’t , you should check out Roseanne’s version. One of my favorite country songs
That's actually what prompted me to start this thread. I heard her cover today for the first time. It was fantastic.

I'm not a superfan or anything, but I do like a lot of his stuff. Hard to pick one, but I'll throw out one unmentioned thus far : One Piece at a Time. Fun little story song.

Probably my #2 pick. Good one.
In terms of story/novelty songs, much better than Boy Named Sue.
Yeah, but ABNS has the single greatest line in the history of lyrics: "Kicking and a-gouging in the mud and the blood and the beer."

Sunday Morning Come Down
He was so good playing cover songs. This is one of my favorites, and I'm not a big Springsteen guy at all.

Yeah, his covers are terrific. My favorite cover of his is Rowboat, which is a really obscure Beck song that he wrote in 20 minutes because he booked a session with a pedal-steel guitar player but didn't have any songs holstered. So he just came up with it and when Beck opened for Cash in '95 in LA, he must have heard it and it resonated. The version by Cash is just beautiful, man.
I had no idea that was a Beck song. My dad loved that song and I doubt he knew either.

Before clicking in the thread, I was thinking, well, there’s Johnny Cash, Norm Cash, Dave Cash…

But I’ll go a bit chalk with “Ring of Fire.”

As talked about above, the Hurt cover and video is devastatingly awesome. His delivery shows great understanding and awareness of his past with exceptional acceptance. It's brutal and gentle at the same time a short while before he passes.

Users who are viewing this thread