What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jon Gruden fired in TB (1 Viewer)

Bruce Allen was the right guy to fire. Neither Chucky or Monte have been playing with full decks for a long time. The defensive line was horrible and the offensive line not much better. They lucked out with the Antonio Bryant reemergence last year, but other than that the skill positions have been mediocre too. Instead of focusing on the "collapse" the Glazers should have focused on what a miracle it was to even be competitive with that 53-man roster.

Too bad they can't bring back Rich McKay.

I'm not shocked.

There was definitely smoke regarding Gruden's reported inability to work well with others. He has plenty of enemies in the organization and area. His offenses were frenetic. And his team flat out disappeared in December.

But I honestly thought the Glazers would give it another year...mainly because I assume this will cost them money (firing and new hiring)...and I didn't think the Glazers would want to spend that money right now.

:fingerscrossed: for Shanny.

Capella said:
I've been a big Gruden guy, but that was a pretty inexcusable collapse. I'm sure the Glazers saw Arizona and Philly in the NFCCG and decided that was it.That said, I'm shocked. They must have something in place.
ditto

This is like VJ Day for some of the mouthbreather fans in this area. Say what you want about Gruden, but he was positively HATED in this area.

Stupid fans get spoiled quickly. Everybody acts like the franchise, for some reason, has a birthright to non-stop 10-win seasons.

Underrated note to all of this is that the Glazers just inked Gruden and Allen to 3-year extensions after LAST year...they don't kick in until 2009.That's six (six!!) years of contracts they're paying off. They must have been molten hot after seeing that collapse.
This is why I'm actually pretty excited about this move. I'd honestly resigned myself to the thought that the Glazers were losing the butts on ManU and elsewhere, and were going to spend as little as possible on the Bucs the next few years.Now...that's obviously not the case. Maybe they've got someone in their back pocket...AND...will actually spend some money on FA?!?!

RC94 said:
Very surprising. Also surprising they waited so long.
I'm not necessarily surprised at the firing, but the timing is what surprised me. This should have happened a week or two ago.

Ozymandias said:
They fired Gruden because his team collapsed, even though he won them a Superbowl with Dungy's players. And they are going to hire Shanahan who was fired because his team collapsed, even though he won them a Superbowl?
Fixed to add...Not that I'm a Gruden basher but he came in on what Dungy had the previous year. I've always felt Gruden was a little overrated.

Bruce Allen is a real loss. He did great things for a team that was in a horrible cap position these last few years. Would'nt be surprised if they went back to Oak. at some point

Getting rid of the GM makes me think they have a plan in place, and did BA like they did Rich McKay years ago. The Glazers pretty much leap frogged the GM, and did what they wanted. Maybe they have plans for a coach/GM (Holmgren, Shanny, Parcels).

I doubt they wuld go after a defensie minded HC if they just put Raheem Morris in at DC. Him at HC is a good possibility, but I would hope they have something better planned.

I think this all is a result of the article speculation the Glazers were going broke. Now they just said they were not by firing a coach and GM with 2 years remaining.

Gruden got the O scoring points last season, and even in the last press conference Monte said "that last one was on me." The old Bucs should have ran the table with the O scoring 2 TD's. Problem is, this isn't the old Bucs. Things change, and no matter how great a coach may be sometimes a change can give you that extra boost they need. See Gruden replacing Dungy.

This is like VJ Day for some of the mouthbreather fans in this area. Say what you want about Gruden, but he was positively HATED in this area.Stupid fans get spoiled quickly. Everybody acts like the franchise, for some reason, has a birthright to non-stop 10-win seasons.
The bright side is that we don't have to defend him anymore to idiots that don't know football.idiot: I can't stand JGme: Why, he just runs the O, and they put up 27idiot: he just treats the players bad :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce Allen was the right guy to fire. Neither Chucky or Monte have been playing with full decks for a long time. The defensive line was horrible and the offensive line not much better. They lucked out with the Antonio Bryant reemergence last year, but other than that the skill positions have been mediocre too. Instead of focusing on the "collapse" the Glazers should have focused on what a miracle it was to even be competitive with that 53-man roster. Too bad they can't bring back Rich McKay.
:thumbup: Gruden brough the team from one of the worst, to one of the best in cap position while winning 3 conference championships.

Ozymandias said:
They fired Gruden because his team collapsed, even though he won them a Superbowl with Dungy's players. And they are going to hire Shanahan who was fired because his team collapsed, even though he won them a Superbowl?
Fixed to add...Not that I'm a Gruden basher but he came in on what Dungy had the previous year. I've always felt Gruden was a little overrated.
The Super Bowl ring notwithstanding, I've always thought that Gruden's best work to date was getting his Raiders teams to consistently win despite how dysfunctional that organization had already become.

We should have tried to trade them both back to Oakland for this years 1st round, 2nd round, and next years 1st. :excited: But, a 6th rounder would have worked.

Ozymandias said:
The Super Bowl ring notwithstanding, I've always thought that Gruden's best work to date was getting his Raiders teams to consistently win despite how dysfunctional that organization had already become.
Yeah, the knock on Gruden was that he won a SB with "Dungy's team." If you want to look at it that way Calahan got to a SB with JG's team.

Huge TB fan here and all I can say is that it was time for a change, and I am a big Gruden supporter. There is occaision where mgt needs to turnover. Businesses do it all the time. Gruden had some successful years in Tampa, including our most successful ever. People point that it was never as good as Dungy but fail to point out the salary cap hell Gruden inherited, along with the 4 lost #1 draft picks between him coming from Oakland and the Meyshawn debacle (Gruden was traded for two firsts (02/03) and two seconds(02/04) to Oakland). Meyshawn for two firsts (both in 2000 before Gruden arrived).

Tampa mortgaged its future for the Superbowl run giving up 4 first round picks and 2 seconds over a 4 year period. Frankly, I'm shocked that Tampa has been as successful as they have been without that influx of young depth that would now be in it's prime.

My thoughts are that Gruden will go somewhere else this year (I've been saying for the last few weeks that he is PERFECT for the Cowboys) and will be very successful, making the Bucs look like they made a mistake but I don't think they did. I'm a Gruden fan, and hope that he succeeds wherever he ends up. I'd bet that he will.

As far as TB and coaches that could come in, I don't expect much this coming year as the cupboard is fairly bare. I think that will show quickly once our great "new" coach and GM show up. At least we are 45 million under the cap, so they can spend some money if allowed by the Glazer's.

Michael Clayton radio replay on ESPN news. I'm sure Gruden was responsible for him dropping passes.

fwiw, my cousin saw Clayton on an elevator the night before the Oak. game reaking of weed and holding a 12 pack.

Completely bashing the guy. Not too professional.

Buccaneers Defense-TM- Buccaneers Jan. 16 - 7:09 pm et According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, current defensive coordinator Raheem Morris is the favorite to be the next Buccaneers coach.Director of Pro Personnel Mark Dominik would replace GM Bruce Allen under that rebuilding scenario. The young duo would reportedly come relatively cheaply, which would offset the three years remaining on the contracts of both Allen and Jon Gruden.Source: NFL.com

Buccaneers Defense-TM- Buccaneers Jan. 16 - 7:09 pm et According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, current defensive coordinator Raheem Morris is the favorite to be the next Buccaneers coach.Director of Pro Personnel Mark Dominik would replace GM Bruce Allen under that rebuilding scenario. The young duo would reportedly come relatively cheaply, which would offset the three years remaining on the contracts of both Allen and Jon Gruden.Source: NFL.com
This goes back to my thought of the 'Zers not spending money next year...but I'm not sure why they would fire Gruden in this scenario...unless it was forced by Gruden not cooperating.

I'm pretty shocked. These guys got us to the playoffs 2 consecutive years without a single 1st ballot Pro-Bowler. At 45 million under the cap the next HC is a lucky s.o.b.

Kiddnets said:
Wow - Ryan, Spags and now Gruden available? Its Christmas for a Jets fan! Even Woody can't screw this one up.....could he????
I'd love Chucky to come here to the Jets.He's the fiery type (unlike Mangini) that the team could use, likes his veterans (of which there are plenty), and he could handle the media

Kiddnets said:
Wow - Ryan, Spags and now Gruden available? Its Christmas for a Jets fan! Even Woody can't screw this one up.....could he????
I'd love Chucky to come here to the Jets.He's the fiery type (unlike Mangini) that the team could use, likes his veterans (of which there are plenty), and he could handle the media
:clap: Why? So he can talk Favre into coming back? No thanks. Ryan is the guy... I pray and hope.

There's no way you fire your GM and coach a couple weeks into the offseason so you can promote a coach from within.

Kiddnets said:
:jawdrop: Why? So he can talk Favre into coming back? No thanks. Ryan is the guy... I pray and hope.
+1

Bruce Allen was the right guy to fire. Neither Chucky or Monte have been playing with full decks for a long time. The defensive line was horrible and the offensive line not much better. They lucked out with the Antonio Bryant reemergence last year, but other than that the skill positions have been mediocre too. Instead of focusing on the "collapse" the Glazers should have focused on what a miracle it was to even be competitive with that 53-man roster. Too bad they can't bring back Rich McKay.
:jawdrop: Gruden brough the team from one of the worst, to one of the best in cap position while winning 3 conference championships.
Are they giving rings for cap position now? Because the roster is mediocre at best.

How can you fire a guy who took you to the playoffs 1 every 2 years he was there, despite having no real franchise QB ever? If only idiot fans realized how difficult it is to sustain success without a great QB....look at any team that does well continuously vs one that does not.

I hate the NFL fan culture these days. All this "fire everyone" every year crap is what hurts franchises more than it helps them. Ask folks in Cleveland or Cincy or Houston etc etc....how changing regimes does not help you get anywhere

Please come back to Oakland. Please.
Only if Bruce comes with him. Gruden has no quarrel with Big Al, AFAIK.
I thought Al ran him out of there because he was flirting with other jobs too much.
I think they both currently share a mutual respect regardless of the circumstances surrounding Gruden's exit. That's all.
Based upon what? Honestly, I'd like to know as you're the only one I've ever heard say anything like this.

Shanny: " I have not contacted the Bucs, and they have not contacted me. I was as surprised as everyone. "

Kiddnets said:
:confused: Why? So he can talk Favre into coming back? No thanks. Ryan is the guy... I pray and hope.
+1
That was quick - it better be Ryan cause to hire Schotty over a guy like Gruden would be a joke....I think Tanny wants a rookie coach so he can keep his juice. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...in_gruden.html

Jets not interested in Gruden

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Friday January 16, 2009, 6:55 PM

The Jets have no interest in hiring Jon Gruden, fired Friday by the Tampa Bay Bucaneers, as their head coach.According to my sources, the Jets are well aware of the firing of Jon Gurden by the Tampa Bay Bucs within the hour, but he's not on their radar.

The Jets are content to await the results of this weekend's playoff games and Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan remains atop their wish list, followed by current offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Cardinals assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm is also in the mix but Ryan is the clear favorite.

That, of course, could change until the Jets officially call a news conference, but from what I'm hearing Ryan is their guy.

While Gruden does have a history with quarterback Brett Favre, having worked with him in Green Bay in 1992 through 1994, the Jets are looking for a young, passionate coach who can connect with their young players, said someone familiar with the club's thinking.

More surprised to see Allen let go. I think he's better as a GM than Gruden as a coach, but maybe Tampa homers disagree.

Gruden won a Super Bowl but I don't think he's currently one of the top coaches in the league. His last playoff win was that Super Bowl. He's been three games under .500 the last six years.

Please come back to Oakland. Please.
Only if Bruce comes with him. Gruden has no quarrel with Big Al, AFAIK.
I thought Al ran him out of there because he was flirting with other jobs too much.
I think they both currently share a mutual respect regardless of the circumstances surrounding Gruden's exit. That's all.
Based upon what? Honestly, I'd like to know as you're the only one I've ever heard say anything like this.
Tim Ryan has a show on Sirius NFL Radio. He also works for FOX as a game analyst. He worked a Tampa game around the time that Kiffin was fired. In the pre-game production meeting, Ryan asked Gruden about Al Davis, figuring maybe he would pile on the old man. But Gruden said "I have nothing but respect for Mr. Davis, and I enjoyed my time in Oakland." Ryan was relating the story, and the way he told it, Gruden wasn't just feeding a line of BS. He got the sense that he was being genuine. Now as far as Al goes, I have no evidence that he doesn't hold any grudges against Gruden. But if he recycled Art Shell, he can probably find his way to bringing back Chucky. He realizes that he's 164 years old, and his opening days might be limited.

I like Gruden. But, he was arrogant. He was supposed to be an offensive genius, but the offense failed him and the defense carried the team year in and year out (until the final collapse). When the team lost their last four games, I said he is lucky to keep his job. After all, the Jets and Broncos suffered the same collapse at the end of the season and both coaches lost their jobs.

I think the Bucs wanted to hire Raheen Morris (http://www.buccaneers.com/team/staffdetail.aspx?coachid=100). He has been interviewed by a few of the teams that recently fired their coach. Tampa may have fired Gruden to move Morris to head coach.

I have my whole family crossing their fingers, arms, legs, eyes, anything I can get them to cross in hopes that TONY DUNGY comes HOME !!!!!

Bruce Allen was the right guy to fire. Neither Chucky or Monte have been playing with full decks for a long time. The defensive line was horrible and the offensive line not much better. They lucked out with the Antonio Bryant reemergence last year, but other than that the skill positions have been mediocre too. Instead of focusing on the "collapse" the Glazers should have focused on what a miracle it was to even be competitive with that 53-man roster.

Too bad they can't bring back Rich McKay.
:confused: Gruden brough the team from one of the worst, to one of the best in cap position while winning 3 conference championships.
which conference would that be?

More surprised to see Allen let go. I think he's better as a GM than Gruden as a coach, but maybe Tampa homers disagree.
I always thought Allen was a Gruden puppet...but then I heard he forced Gruden to pass on AP to pick Gaines Adams. Either way....

Ozymandias said:
Yeah, the knock on Gruden was that he won a SB with "Dungy's team." If you want to look at it that way Calahan got to a SB with JG's team.
Dungy won with Kiffen's D. Then went to Indy and showed what he knew on D. Peyton got him a Bowl. I can't believe somebody would act like Dungy was a great coach. Great guy? Yep. Great coach? Maybe not.

I guess it was a mistake for the Broncos and Browns to act so quickly to hire a new coach.

I think the Bucs wanted to hire Raheen Morris
My sources (ESPN News) tells me that this just happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raheem_MorrisWow. Bet he never could have imagined leapfrogging Kiffin and Gruden in the same offseason.
for those that don't trust Wiki as reliable news:ESPN

he surprising firings of Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen are expected to yield the quick hiring of Raheem Morris as head coach and Mark Dominik as general manager, according to multiple sources.

According to a source, a news conference could be held as early as Saturday.

Morris, 32, has made a meteoric rise from Hofstra's defensive backs coach in 2000-2001 to head coach of the Bucs in 2009. Morris, who coached the Bucs' secondary from 2006 through 2007, interviewed for the Broncos' head coaching position. He had been promoted to defensive coordinator of the Bucs after Monte Kiffin left for the University of Tennessee.
I know the Broncos were very high on Morris, FWIW.

This has Bill Parcells written all over it.
Exactly what I was thinking. Wasn't Parcells rumored to be going there right before Gruden? Could be wrong, but I thought he had some kind of relationship with Glazer. Why wait this long after the season to do it, unless maybe the Tuna made a call that he'd be available soon and wants to run the whole show?

I'm with Chase, Gruden isn't a special coach. I would rather go with someone like McDaniels or Ryan and hope you find a great one.

Users who are viewing this thread