What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jon Kitna (1 Viewer)

gkza

Footballguy
Its well documented that Kitna has taken a ton of sacks this year. I have heard that the Lions starting tackle (dont rember his name) is out this week. So obviously, this should make him even more of a risk to start. Minnesota's interior D-Line is as good as any combo in the league.

Does this info downgrade Kitna substantially? Eli Manning had a terrible game against the Vikes last week. Should we expect a similar performance from the KIT???

The Lions have had problems at right tackle all season. George Foster started the season, he was replaced by Jonathan Scott. Scott was injured and replaced by Foster. Foster was benched again and replaced by Blaine Saipaia for the Giants game, and was man handled by Strahan. Scott came back, but suffered a hamstring injuy and was replace by Saipaia in the Green Bay game...and got owned again, this time by Aaron Kampman.

Now the Lions are going with Damien Woody. Woody was the starting right guard, but went out with a rib injury. His replacement ended up taking the starting role from Woody. Woody has played center and guard in the NFL, but hasn't played tackle since high school.

Given the problems the Lions have had at the RT position, I do not see how it could get worse. I doubt there is a need to substantially downgrade Kitna...heck, Woody could be an improvement.

The Lions have had problems at right tackle all season. George Foster started the season, he was replaced by Jonathan Scott. Scott was injured and replaced by Foster. Foster was benched again and replaced by Blaine Saipaia for the Giants game, and was man handled by Strahan. Scott came back, but suffered a hamstring injuy and was replace by Saipaia in the Green Bay game...and got owned again, this time by Aaron Kampman.Now the Lions are going with Damien Woody. Woody was the starting right guard, but went out with a rib injury. His replacement ended up taking the starting role from Woody. Woody has played center and guard in the NFL, but hasn't played tackle since high school.Given the problems the Lions have had at the RT position, I do not see how it could get worse. I doubt there is a need to substantially downgrade Kitna...heck, Woody could be an improvement.
No wonder Kitna gets killed. Wasn't Woody a 1st rounder back in 1999 (Rickey Williams, Edge, Akili Smith draft class?)

I was watching some tape of the Lions and it is not so much the line as it is that they send KJ out on a pattern every pass play, and they don`t use a TE. That these both tackles on a island. I don`t care how good you if the team is passing 35-40 times the QB is going to get hurried and sacked.

The DEs turn the corner and there is no TE or RB to even chip them or slow them down.

Dallas was going with two TEs on Thursday..they would bump the DE to slow him down then go on a pattern. Romo had all the time in the world to throw.

I was watching some tape of the Lions and it is not so much the line as it is that they send KJ out on a pattern every pass play, and they don`t use a TE. That these both tackles on a island. I don`t care how good you if the team is passing 35-40 times the QB is going to get hurried and sacked.The DEs turn the corner and there is no TE or RB to even chip them or slow them down. Dallas was going with two TEs on Thursday..they would bump the DE to slow him down then go on a pattern. Romo had all the time in the world to throw.
Dallas did a great job on Kampman throughout the game. But I have to think part of the reason was no KGB on the other side. The Lions were terrible in the decision to not give some help on Kampman and Strahan especially.

I'm very worried about starting Kitna this week. It's my first playoff game and I need a bigf performance... and my backup is Garcia.... :goodposting:

In my opinion, Merrill Hoge is one of the best football analysts out there. He doesn't just look at numbers, he watches hours of film. This is what he said this week about Kitna.

Vikings D versus Lions O. Just when you think Detroit will get back on track, they freeze for just a moment. I know the Vikings' defense has not been very good this year, but some things have changed in the past couple of weeks that would concern me if I owned Jon Kitna. The Vikings are blitzing more and they do a very good job of pressuring the offensive line. They make the offensive lines they play really work at trying to pick up the right guy. This has been a big problem for Detroit's O-line all year, and I do not see it getting better this week for them or Kitna.
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...page=hogeweek13

I'm very worried about starting Kitna this week. It's my first playoff game and I need a bigf performance... and my backup is Garcia.... :goodposting:

In my opinion, Merrill Hoge is one of the best football analysts out there. He doesn't just look at numbers, he watches hours of film. This is what he said this week about Kitna.

Vikings D versus Lions O. Just when you think Detroit will get back on track, they freeze for just a moment. I know the Vikings' defense has not been very good this year, but some things have changed in the past couple of weeks that would concern me if I owned Jon Kitna. The Vikings are blitzing more and they do a very good job of pressuring the offensive line. They make the offensive lines they play really work at trying to pick up the right guy. This has been a big problem for Detroit's O-line all year, and I do not see it getting better this week for them or Kitna.
http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football...page=hogeweek13
Dude I agree with you 100%. I am terrified to start him this week. I MUST win in order to get in the playoffs. He appears to be hurting from getting speed-bagged all season. However the Vikes pass d is pretty sh*tty. Also, Antoine Winfield will not play from what I have seen and read. That definately downgrads a terrible pass D. Winfiled also from 1st rd of '99 draft. The more I think of it, although there were many hi profile busts at QB, most of the those players that year were high quality and many went on to stardom.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several questions surrounding this game

1. Will Detroit look to pass, pass, pass like everyone else against Minnesota? If they do, they will likely have 3 and 4 WR sets which will take away one or two players protecting the QB against the rush. If Minnesota can get good pressure from their front four, thus dropping back 7 into coverage, I like Minnesota's chances. This is the main reason behind Kitna's high sack totals this year.

2. Will Detroit decide to run more Kevin Jones like last week against Green Bay - also a good run defense? Detroit was able to move the ball better that way. They still passed 40 times.

3. Can Detroit stop a knee-braced Adrian Peterson? Last week, Ryan Grant was only the 2nd RB to rush for 100 yards against Detroit. Last time against DET, AP only had 66 yards rushing.

The Vikings are tough to figure out. The D started off extremely hot, then got nicked up a bit and looked horrendous in the passing game (worst performance I've seen vs. CPep and the Raiders - couldn't cover anybody). Last week they were back to early season form. Sharper/Winfield making plays while the interior line dominated. Kitna may get his, but he will be hit early and often. I expect sacks and picks to along with a decent amount of yards and possibly a few TD's. Would not be surprised to see a 22-40, 248 yard, 2 TD's, 2 INT's and 4 sack performance. Oh yeah, throw in a fumble on one of the sacks.

As for the Detroit line, I find it hilarious that people are questioning a Mike Martz QB getting hit often. Everyone in patterns + no protection = pain.

Kitna takes a lot of sacks because he is indecisive.

Kitna throws a ton of picks because he is indecisive

Kitna has never been a winner throughout his career because he is indecisive.

Kitna is not a very good real NFL QB. It gets so tired hearing all the excuses for him when he's been a loser his whole career.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread