What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA (1 Viewer)

citsalp

Footballguy
I know this years RB class is underwhelming, and or underrated. Where exactly do you have him rated? I have seen a few posts about this years class, but I can't put a finger on where he belongs.

He will be as good as his situation. I wouldnt say he's a franchise back but if/when he's pressed into action he will perform. Worse case hes a 3rd down back.

I like Franklin. Draft circumstance will be more influential than normal for this year's RB crop. Here's how I have the top 7 today.

Lacy

Gio

Franklin

Ball

Michael

Lattimore

Stacy

For me, ceteris peribus:

Lacy

Gio

Michael

Bell

Franklin

Ball

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to see some highlights, try the

(especially the first 2 minutes of the video).I have him ranked 6th. My biggest concern is his size - if he's under 200 (as he apparently was at his Pro Day, after weighing in at 205 at the Combine) then it'll be hard for him to become more than a change of pace back.

Eddie Lacy

Christine Michael

Giovani Bernard

Knile Davis

Marcus Lattimore

Johnathan Franklin

Zac Stacy

Le'Veon Bell

D.J. Harper

He's an amazing player. The only real weakness in his game is ball security be he's gotten a lot better in that area.

UCLA homer but ill be shocked if he doesn't have a nice professional career. Hard worker and a great teammate too.

'citsalp said:
So if the top of the RB's fall like this.1.Lacy2.etc..put them in your order. EBF...anybody???
Not a fan of this RB class. Talent is down across the board. Tentatively have it...Lacy---------MichaelBernard---------LattimoreDavisFranklin would probably be 4th-5th tier along with names like Ball, Bell, Ware, and Taylor. Some people seem to think highly of him. For me, he doesn't pop when I watch his clips. The overall athletic profile from the combine numbers isn't too encouraging either. Good speed. Slightly below average size and power. Below average in the jumps, which suggests a lack of explosiveness. You have to be special in some way to become a perennial starting RB in the NFL, and I don't know if Franklin has enough standout traits. I suspect he'll be just a guy at the NFL level. Backup type who washes out of the league in a few years. My take anyway.

EBF, have you gotten a chance to watch any of Zac Stacy yet? I think he'd move up your rankings considerably, in this class.

Some nice work done by ZWK Here. The combined ranking of the RB class is in post 15.

Franklin is the 7th overall RB on this list. His weaknesses are poor jumping ability, size and bench press. His strengths are speed, college production and agility.

For now I have Zac Stacey as a better prospect than Franklin but I still consider the 2 players fairly close. I think both players could potentially be 1st round dynasty picks if either lands in a favorable situation combined with a fairly high pick (2nd or 3rd round). If they are drafted 4th round or later then they will likely last into the 2nd round of dynasty drafts if drafted into a favorable situation.

I think he is worth tracking and he does have good speed which is one of the things that cannot be coached. The low jump and bench are indications of limits to his explosiveness, despite the good speed.

EBF, have you gotten a chance to watch any of Zac Stacy yet? I think he'd move up your rankings considerably, in this class.
Yea, he's a popular sleeper pick. I don't have him quite as high as some people. He's been yo-yoing between my 4th-5th tiers. I've never been blown away by the game clips, but he's definitely a draftable prospect. Production is beyond reproach. Workout numbers are okay. Good bulk, broad jump, and three cone. Would've liked to have seen better speed and a higher vertical. I think he's probably a 4th-6th round NFL draft pick. I don't think he runs as strong as you'd think looking at his listed height/weight, but he's got above average feet and instincts. Good chance to stick in the NFL as a backup. Beyond that, it's tough to say. I wouldn't count him out, but I'm not gonna go to bat for him either.

'ZWK said:
If you want to see some highlights, try the

To be honest I do not that much like what I see. I see Franklin losing his feet multiple times and not making the 1st tackler miss, he just tries to speed by them. This did work on the TD run because the defense played it so poorly, but he does not use much change of direction on these runs. I do not think the speed by itself will be enough in the Nfl.

If he gets a situation where he's the primary back, I expect Franklin to vie for top RB out of this class as far as FF production. I think he's fast, he's patient, he's got solid agility, and most of all he's smart.

He's the same size as David Wilson at 5'10, 205, so I don't buy "small running back" knocks. I think he can seriously produce. If nothing else, he took a 25-year-old UCLA rushing record with a few games to go this year.

His biggest strength is the open field. Obviously that's not going to happen as much in the NFL. I'm definitely in the minority being bullish on him, I think, but I believe in this kid.

If he gets a situation where he's the primary back, I expect Franklin to vie for top RB out of this class as far as FF production. I think he's fast, he's patient, he's got solid agility, and most of all he's smart.He's the same size as David Wilson at 5'10, 205, so I don't buy "small running back" knocks. I think he can seriously produce. If nothing else, he took a 25-year-old UCLA rushing record with a few games to go this year. His biggest strength is the open field. Obviously that's not going to happen as much in the NFL. I'm definitely in the minority being bullish on him, I think, but I believe in this kid.
He's a little bit taller and lighter than Wilson. Not enough to negate the comparison, but there's a slight difference. The big difference is athletic ability. That's one aspect of Wilson's game that can't be questioned. He ran a 4.38 40, jumped 41" in the vertical leap, and 11'0" in the broad jump at the combine. Compare that to a 4.49, 31.5", and 9'7" for Franklin and you'll see that Wilson had a pretty massive edge in measured athletic ability. That's why I'd be reluctant to compare the two. Franklin might end up being a good pro, but there are lots of warning signs too.

This guy is good at everything, but only great at one thing, and that's as a screen receiver out of the backfield. He will be a good NFL player if he lands in the right spot. I think he would be tremendous in Green Bay.

If he gets a situation where he's the primary back, I expect Franklin to vie for top RB out of this class as far as FF production. I think he's fast, he's patient, he's got solid agility, and most of all he's smart.

He's the same size as David Wilson at 5'10, 205, so I don't buy "small running back" knocks. I think he can seriously produce. If nothing else, he took a 25-year-old UCLA rushing record with a few games to go this year.

His biggest strength is the open field. Obviously that's not going to happen as much in the NFL. I'm definitely in the minority being bullish on him, I think, but I believe in this kid.
He's a little bit taller and lighter than Wilson. Not enough to negate the comparison, but there's a slight difference. The big difference is athletic ability. That's one aspect of Wilson's game that can't be questioned. He ran a 4.38 40, jumped 41" in the vertical leap, and 11'0" in the broad jump at the combine. Compare that to a 4.49, 31.5", and 9'7" for Franklin and you'll see that Wilson had a pretty massive edge in measured athletic ability. That's why I'd be reluctant to compare the two. Franklin might end up being a good pro, but there are lots of warning signs too.
David Wilson's combine time was also exactly a 4.49.

If he gets a situation where he's the primary back, I expect Franklin to vie for top RB out of this class as far as FF production. I think he's fast, he's patient, he's got solid agility, and most of all he's smart.He's the same size as David Wilson at 5'10, 205, so I don't buy "small running back" knocks. I think he can seriously produce. If nothing else, he took a 25-year-old UCLA rushing record with a few games to go this year. His biggest strength is the open field. Obviously that's not going to happen as much in the NFL. I'm definitely in the minority being bullish on him, I think, but I believe in this kid.
Here's hoping my fantasy league thinks like you do and he drops like a stone.

Looks like you might be right. I was going by the time on NFL Draft Scout, which doesn't jive with some of the other sites I checked.Either way, there's a big gap in the jumps. Wilson really dominated in the broad jump and vertical leap. That's a big plus.

Franklin doesn't have any special measured traits besides being slightly faster than average. He's not a particularly big back and his combine numbers don't suggest special ability.

Looks like you might be right. I was going by the time on NFL Draft Scout, which doesn't jive with some of the other sites I checked.Either way, there's a big gap in the jumps. Wilson really dominated in the broad jump and vertical leap. That's a big plus.

Franklin doesn't have any special measured traits besides being slightly faster than average. He's not a particularly big back and his combine numbers don't suggest special ability.
I've seen his combine number all over the place (4.40-4.49), but the
has him at 4.40. Then he ran 4.35-4.40 at his Pro Day. Franklin didn't attempt to improve on the 40 at his Pro Day.

You guys that are ranking him as 7th, out of top 10, etc....you really haven't watched him play. He's going to arguably be the best RB in this draft class. If he slides into a starting role like Doug Martin did, he could easily have a similar year. He's a complete back and is excellent in pass protection that will keep him on the field.

You guys that are ranking him as 7th, out of top 10, etc....you really haven't watched him play. He's going to arguably be the best RB in this draft class. If he slides into a starting role like Doug Martin did, he could easily have a similar year. He's a complete back and is excellent in pass protection that will keep him on the field.

Don't hold back Guzzler. How do you REALLY feel?

'Beerguzzler said:
Anyone who disagrees with you hasn't seen him play? Okay.

'Beerguzzler said:
I don't like his inside running and his 30" vertical shows his lack of explosiveness. I love him as a 3rd down back but I don't think he's a starter.

Bloom has a nice scouting report on Franklin posted yesterday for BR. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1585725-2013-nfl-draft-scouting-report-ucla-running-back-johnathan-franklin - video examples of Standford game in 2012 in link

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: UCLA Running Back Johnathan Franklin BY SIGMUND BLOOM (NFL DRAFT LEAD WRITER) ON MARCH 29, 2013In his senior season, UCLA running back Johnathan Franklin proved that you don't have to be big to put up big numbers out of the backfield. In a running back class without a marquee lock for the first round, Franklin could be one of the first three runners taken off the board.What does Franklin have that will help him earn the "benjamins" on Sundays?StrengthsFranklin has the long speed to take the ball to the house. He also has the vision and elusiveness to get to the third level and bring that speed into play. Decisive cuts that cause Franklin to lose very little momentum/speed are a staple of his game, and that decisiveness also helps him break a lot of tackles for a smaller back.Franklin is surprisingly powerful for a smaller back, with legs that never stop churning and a low pad level. He usually either makes the first tackler miss or breaks the attempt to bring him down. A terrific receiver out of the backfield, Franklin is light on his feet and dangerous in the open field.WeaknessesFranklin is just not big enough to push the pile or bowl tacklers over. He is a weak pass-blocker and will get exploited if he is used in that role in the pros. This might limit him to be a committee back at the next level. He had fumbling problems in the past but seemed to get that under control in 2012.ToolsWith a compact 5'10", 205-pound build and good balance, Franklin gets a lot of yards after contact. His 4.49 40-yard speed is not world class, but it is good enough to hit "home runs." None of his leaps or agility numbers from the combine were tops among his peers, but Franklin's film tells a different story when it comes to quick, sharp movement that creates more production at the end of his runs.Intangibles/CharacterYou won't find anything in Franklin's bio to knock here. He is considered a high-character player with great citizenship for his team and community. He has done a lot of work in Los Angeles with nonprofits and seems to understand the power he has to do good as a prominent football player. Franklin is also durable and a hard worker. The team that takes him can feel good about the human being it added when Franklin is selected.SystemFranklin ran mostly out of the shotgun without a lead-blocking fullback. He is accustomed to generating a good burst from a standstill and getting downhill quickly after he initially stretches a defense laterally to find a hole.VisionFranklin sees holes and lanes developing and cuts upfield with urgency to hit them at speed. He is patient behind the line of scrimmage but decisive once he sees an opening. Franklin is not a dancer, whether it is initially after the handoff or in the open field. He is efficient and effective and should not be pigeonholed as a scatback or small back.Passing GameOne half of this picture is good. Franklin has sure hands out of the backfield and excellent ball skills. On the other side, his blocking can be ugly. He has trouble finding a target and doesn't always take his opponent head on when he does locate them. Franklin isn't nearly active enough as a pass-blocker, and he often fails to initiate contact. His body type is also not cut out to take on a linebacker blitzing in the A gap. Between the TacklesEven though he lacks ideal size, Franklin is not afraid to slam the ball into a tight hole between the tackles. He is not usually prone to unnecessarily breaking runs outside, and he is disciplined about following his blocks. While it wouldn't be his best fit, Franklin could hang in a power-running scheme.ElusivenessFranklin doesn't possess true phone-booth quicks, but he runs with a great sense of urgency and clarity and can make tacklers miss. Attempts to tackle him low are often eluded, and Franklin is excellent at processing and setting up tacklers at the second level when he is hitting the hole at the line of scrimmage. Franklin won't draw oohs and aahs with his elusiveness, but his combination of bounce in his legs and conviction in his running will still do the job.PowerThere's only so much power a 205-pound back can generate, but Franklin still breaks more tackles than you would expect to see on film. He gets low, and his legs never go dead on contact. Just the opposite—Franklin's legs fire like pistons with the stubborn nature of a much bigger back. He will break arm tackles and sometimes even needs to be gang-tackled at the end of a run.Scheme Versatility/Future RoleFranklin will probably be replaced in short yardage and some passing situations, especially early in his career. He projects as a strong 1A back on a zone-blocking running team, and he might be productive enough to become a primary back who gets 250-300 touches a season.Team Fits/RoundCincinnati Bengals (Round 2 or 3)Pittsburgh Steelers (Round 2 or 3)San Diego Chargers (Round 2 or 3)Green Bay Packers (Round 2 or 3)

I really disagree with the pass blocking analysis there. Franklin was very good in pass protection when I watched him.

From Roto today ...

According to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, some NFL teams are comparing UCLA RB Johnathan Franklin to Frank Gore.
Without the history of catastrophic knee injuries, of course. Despite smallish size (5'10/205), Gore is a natural and physical runner through traffic and also possesses three-down skills much like San Francisco's four-time Pro Bowler. Gore is listed at 5-foot-9, 217, so he's in the same ballpark as Franklin from a size standpoint. With Eddie Lacy still nursing a balky hamstring, Pauline believes Franklin cold surprise as a late first-round pick. Apr 1 - 1:27 PM
Source: TFY Draft Insider

Not buying that comparison at all. Gore is shorter and heavier. Much more of a power runner. I would say Stepfan Taylor is more similar to him than Franklin. Franklin would be a massive reach as a first round pick, IMO.

Not buying that comparison at all. Gore is shorter and heavier. Much more of a power runner. I would say Stepfan Taylor is more similar to him than Franklin. Franklin would be a massive reach as a first round pick, IMO.
this frank gore comparison and the lacy injury news "boiling over" makes it seem like maybe pauline is getting his april fools on today or something... :rolleyes:

Henry Ford said:
I really disagree with the pass blocking analysis there. Franklin was very good in pass protection when I watched him.
I've seen him not be able to anchor and fail to move his feet enough to see a potential liability here. He could improve, but he seems like he will get overwhelmed at first.

Users who are viewing this thread