What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Morgan - Any Believers left? (1 Viewer)

DrJamesAndrews Fan

Footballguy
Anybody still believing in Josh Morgan? He was the leading Virginia Tech reciever and had more Rec, Yds, & Td's than Eddie Royal last year and the 4 years they spent together. I know he had no catches week #1, however I think he only had maybe 1 target. Anybody still believing in this kid???

Anybody still believing in Josh Morgan? He was the leading Virginia Tech reciever and had more Rec, Yds, & Td's than Eddie Royal last year and the 4 years they spent together. I know he had no catches week #1, however I think he only had maybe 1 target. Anybody still believing in this kid???
Royal went in the 2nd round while Morgan went in the 6th so the entire NFL thought Royal's skills, regardless of their respective collegiate success, would translate better to the NFL.Having said that, however, Morgan was sick to close out training camp and leading into week 1 plus he is in a far worse situation team and QB wise than Royal so I think it may be a bit early to throw dirt on his NFL grave after 1 week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still very much a believer in Morgan, but O'Sullivan, not so much. Therein lies the problem with Morgan, and all of the 49 WR's for that matter. But I could see a scenario where San Fran gets off to such a horrendous start, and Morgan begins to see more and more playing time. Not giving up on this guy just yet.

I am a Morgan believer as well, but he is going to need time to develop into a starter. He's a solid buy in dynasties (redraft i would pass).

was he active last week?
I am pretty sure he was NOT active.
He was activeETA--1st Quarter expand [+] collapse [-]

San Francisco 49ers at 15:00

ARI defers on kickoff. SF chooses to receive. R.Brown to hold on kickoff 1-N.Rackers kicks 78 yards from ARI 30 to SF -8. 20-A.Rossum, Touchback.

1-10-SF 20 (15:00) 21-F.Gore up the middle to SF 24 for 4 yards (56-C.Okeafor).

2-6-SF 24 (14:20) 14-J.O'Sullivan pass incomplete deep right to 82-B.Johnson.

3-6-SF 24 (14:12) (Shotgun) 14-J.O'Sullivan pass incomplete deep left to 84-J.Morgan.

One reason he slipped in the draft was because he had "off the field" issues. Also, Royal's return ability helped his status. Both are very good prospects, but receiving talent is not always the reason for draft status.

I love these threads after one week. He was a sleeper. I can understand not being able to hole onto him in leagues with short rosters, but lets give it more than one week.

I still think he looked like the real deal in the preseason. If he hadn't missed so much practice at the end of the preseason, he had a real shot at being the week 1 starter.

Still, you have to temper your expectations because he's on the 49ers, but I'm sure he'll get his opportunities. He'll need to take advantage of them and probably need some guys in front of him to struggle or get hurt to really put up solid fantasy numbers, but hey, that's why he's a sleeper.

He almost certainly won't be better than Royal, but I still think he has a chance to be pretty good. I blew my entire cap to scoop him off waivers in one of my PPR dynasty leagues. Bruce is 36 and Johnson is on a one year contract. If Morgan shows well for himself this season, he could be starting in 2009.

I love these threads after one week. He was a sleeper. I can understand not being able to hole onto him in leagues with short rosters, but lets give it more than one week. I still think he looked like the real deal in the preseason. If he hadn't missed so much practice at the end of the preseason, he had a real shot at being the week 1 starter.Still, you have to temper your expectations because he's on the 49ers, but I'm sure he'll get his opportunities. He'll need to take advantage of them and probably need some guys in front of him to struggle or get hurt to really put up solid fantasy numbers, but hey, that's why he's a sleeper.
With a short roster of 20 in MOX 1 I dropped him for Dallas Clark who was dropped (TE treated like WR in MOX). I kept the likes of Keenan Burton (who I think will have an impact this week), Early Doucet, Kregg Lumpkin, and Steve Smith (NYG) over Josh Morgan.

Great news, at least he a got a Target from JT, not sure if Isaac did?
Yes he didWilsons pick was intened for Bruce
Also, assuming it would have been on target, the play that O'Sullivan got stripped on would have been a TD to Bruce who was breaking open into the endzone.Morgan didn't have any catches, but had 3 targets.Johnson was definitely the most looked at receiver (which isn't saying much, only 5 looks).The Niners offensive actually looked decent and they were moving the ball.The turnovers are what killed them.Can't have 5 give aways and expect to win.Could see Morgan continuing to grow into a bigger role.Can't really see him taking over BJs spot (barring injury).Could see him eventually taking over for Bruce, if he ends up being over the hill.Not sure if he's being considered for that side of the offense though.Pretty sure that Battle is backing up Bruce.

Its too bad FBGs doesn't track targets, that could come in handy for a situation like this one. :bs:

Morgan had 3 targets. One deep left, one deep right and another short throw.

Morgan was ahead in the race for the starting job until he got sick in the preseason. He missed some time and fell behind B. Johnson. Nothing saying he can't pass Johnson anytime soon or learn to play Issac Bruce's position.

I wouldn't keep him on a redraft team with short rosters as mentioned above, but dynasty? This kid has flashed some talent.

Its too bad FBGs doesn't track targets, that could come in handy for a situation like this one. :thumbdown: Morgan had 3 targets. One deep left, one deep right and another short throw. Morgan was ahead in the race for the starting job until he got sick in the preseason. He missed some time and fell behind B. Johnson. Nothing saying he can't pass Johnson anytime soon or learn to play Issac Bruce's position. I wouldn't keep him on a redraft team with short rosters as mentioned above, but dynasty? This kid has flashed some talent.
But wasn't Morgan ahead in the race for the starting job because Bryant was hurt? As soon as Bryant was healthy he was the starter. I can see if Bruce struggles because of age than Morgan steps in but I'm not sure he has learned that position. I think Morgan's value lies more in next year and beyond than this year.

KingPrawn said:
Kitrick Taylor said:
Its too bad FBGs doesn't track targets, that could come in handy for a situation like this one. :popcorn:

Morgan had 3 targets. One deep left, one deep right and another short throw.

Morgan was ahead in the race for the starting job until he got sick in the preseason. He missed some time and fell behind B. Johnson. Nothing saying he can't pass Johnson anytime soon or learn to play Issac Bruce's position.

I wouldn't keep him on a redraft team with short rosters as mentioned above, but dynasty? This kid has flashed some talent.
But wasn't Morgan ahead in the race for the starting job because Bryant was hurt? As soon as Bryant was healthy he was the starter. I can see if Bruce struggles because of age than Morgan steps in but I'm not sure he has learned that position. I think Morgan's value lies more in next year and beyond than this year.
I agree with that for the most part. But if the 49ers are out of the post season by say...week 8 I think you will see him on the field a lot and he could help deep dynasty squads have a nice WR4 to make a push with upside to a WR3 IMO. I loved how the kid looked and he certainly looked the part big time. He is a strong hold.

Not every rookie WR bursts onto the scene a la Boldin, Colston and Royal.

Give him some time before you start to bury his fantasy prospects.

KingPrawn said:
Kitrick Taylor said:
Its too bad FBGs doesn't track targets, that could come in handy for a situation like this one. :popcorn: Morgan had 3 targets. One deep left, one deep right and another short throw. Morgan was ahead in the race for the starting job until he got sick in the preseason. He missed some time and fell behind B. Johnson. Nothing saying he can't pass Johnson anytime soon or learn to play Issac Bruce's position. I wouldn't keep him on a redraft team with short rosters as mentioned above, but dynasty? This kid has flashed some talent.
As I stated earlier, I don't think he's a player I'd want on my redraft team. Even with 18 man rosters in a 12 man league. Borderline at best. I wouldn't rule him out from being fantasy relevant this year however. He's WR3 right now in that offense. The only guy who really made plays last week was Frank Gore. If Morgan starts making some plays with the opportunities he does get, they will get him in that lineup fast. Dynasty? Obviously the ideal is to get a Colston or Boldin, but short of that, I want my rookie WRs to flash some kind of talent on the field in year one. Its even fine if its as a returner (unless he's Roscoe Parrish small). I think its much better to hold on to a guy like Morgan right now than someone like Andre Caldwell for example. Caldwell was a much higher draft pick, but he got hurt in camp, and is buried on the depth chart. We may not see him all year. Tough to hold on that unless you are in the deepest of leagues.

I still believe in him. I think Eddie will be more successful with Cutler throwing the ball to him, but Morgan is a good prospect too.

I found this interesting. i had no idea he had a staph infection. This could account for the disappearing act... :no: Pulled the quote from rtsports:

Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers WR Josh Morgan (infection) has gained about six pounds after losing 15 pounds late in training camp and the regular season with a staph infection. He said he is beginning to feel normal again.

I think Morgan is a definate hold in dynasty leagues. He was the hot WR prospect to come from nowhere during preseason. He lost a lot of ground at the start of the season due to what looks to be a staph infection. Isaac Bruce is very old. If I am not mistaken Bryant Johnson was signed only to a 1 year deal? If he can get healthy and continue what he did during the preseason he could be a starting WR by next year and has shown talent.

I think Morgan is a definate hold in dynasty leagues. He was the hot WR prospect to come from nowhere during preseason. He lost a lot of ground at the start of the season due to what looks to be a staph infection. Isaac Bruce is very old. If I am not mistaken Bryant Johnson was signed only to a 1 year deal? If he can get healthy and continue what he did during the preseason he could be a starting WR by next year and has shown talent.
Unfortunately Morgan is reminding me of all the rookie phenoms from last year, namely Mike Walker, Jacoby Jones, Laurent Robinson, Buster Davis, Steve Smith. There are lots of guys with big talent, but if they dont get used it doesnt matter. I think the staph infection was a very bad break but Martz isnt in any hurry to have him play. I will hold him because our league has room for rookies on our taxi squad. In a redraft, he is almost worthless.

With Johnson's hammy acting up, I'm wondering what that does to Morgan's value?

Does Battle step into the WR2 spot, or Morgan?

Who knows what could have happened if Morgan didnt have that staph infection to start the season out. Maybe be in BJ's spot? Probably not, but I really do think his value and play will continue to rise as the season goes on. Count me as still holding on to hope.

I think Morgan will have more value than Bryant "hamstring" Johnson going forward. BJ's hammy has been an issue for 2 months now, and it's not healed yet. That opens a window of opportunity for Morgan, who has shown a lot more burst and explosion than any other 49er WR.

I see Morgan's work load increasing as the season rolls on.

Users who are viewing this thread