What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julio Jones vs AJ Green (1 Viewer)

Didn't Jones' offense hold him back a bit in terms of opportunities in college? To me Green looks a tad more explosive, with excellent hands, while Jones looks like an athletic speciman (much bigger than Green), but also with very good hands. Green looks more polished and smooth in his routes, while Jones looks like a physical nightmare. Very different yet both look like excellent football players.

That said, their situations are very different. Green in laughing stock Cincy and Jones in up and coming Atlanta. That makes this an easier call if you believe in Jones' hands. As long as the kid doesn't develop the dropsies, I don't see how he doesn't succeed and lift all boats in Atlanta. Matt Ryan is by far better than anyone Cincy will likely have at QB in a while. Like others have already posted, Atlanta just seems like such a better culture for winning and producing stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't Jones' offense hold him back a bit in terms of opportunities in college? To me Green looks a tad more explosive, with excellent hands, while Jones looks like an athletic speciman (much bigger than Green), but also with very good hands. Green looks more polished and smooth in his routes, while Jones looks like a physical nightmare. Very different yet both look like excellent football players.

That said, their situations are very different. Green in laughing stock Cincy and Jones in up and coming Atlanta. That makes this an easier call if you believe in Jones' hands. As long as the kid doesn't develop the dropsies, I don't see how he doesn't succeed and lift all boats in Atlanta. Matt Ryan is by far better than anyone Cincy will likely have at QB in a while. Like others have already posted, Atlanta just seems like such a better culture for winning and producing stats.
The bolded are mutually exclusive. I fully agree that Atl is the better place for winning. Most certainly in the short term anyway. Stats happen on both good teams and bad teams though. The fact of the matter is someone is going to be catching passes in Cinci and over the past several years that someone has produced excellent stats. That someone is going to be Green, who only has to fight off his TE for targets.

'Captain Hook said:
'Sabertooth said:
I've looked at these kids and I've seen the rankings. Nowhere do I see Julio Jones ranked ahead of Green. I realize talent is a big component to NFL success. But it is not everything. Here you have a kid with some potential going to the Bungles. And a kid with some potential going to the Falcons.

Is the gap in talent so vast that Green+Gradkoski is greater than Jones+Ryan? Just from a stability standpoint you have to like the Falcons about 100 times more than the Bengals. They appear to place some type of priority on building a winning franchise. The Bengals? Not so much. They appear to be operating without a rudder.

I just don't see how AJ Green has a stronger career than Julio Jones. Obviously the Falcons traded a boatload of picks for Jones so they have a very high opinion of him. I think they gave up 5 picks to get him if I'm not mistaken. He was already inserted into the starting lineup. The Falcons saw what Green Bay's multiple receiving sets can do to a defense and they know they have to bring their passing game up to snuff if they want to compete with the Packers, Colts, Pats type of teams.

I think Jones has a better rookie season and is better at least through the expiration of their rookie contracts. After that, who knows?
Talent/skill vs production - two vastly different thingsJones might score more FF points this year than Green

Green is a much better receiver at this point and will likely have a better overall career
Jones is drawing rave reviews. While Green may have some edge in raw athleticism, Jones seems to be the consummate pupil of the game and dedicated to learning the craft. Mayock is even talking about how Jones looks more explosive than expected."(Rotoworld) According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock -- who's live in Flowery Branch -- No. 6 overall pick Julio Jones "may already be the most impressive player" at Falcons training camp. Analysis: Mayock described Jones as 'more explosive off the ball than they thought.'"

Green may have an edge in certain athletic traits, but let's not pretend that Julio doesn't have an edge in some as well. And whatever edge either of them may hold in raw ability can be offset by the other's dedication, hard work and desire.

Ironic that Green's defenders are saying that he has an edge in raw ability which makes him the better pick while at the same time trying to explain/ignore away Dalton's lack of raw ability in some areas.

The difference in the careers of Julio Jones and A.J. Green will NOT come down to which is the better raw talent. That margin is too narrow. It will come down to things like professionalism, health, surrounding cast, intangibles...and plain ole luck. That's why Drew Brees is a top 5 QB while Jamarcus Russell is out of the league.
Jones is the better raw athlete. Simply look at his pedigree. He was the #1 player coming out of high school and thrashed the NFL combine despite an injured foot. He simply hasn't translated his raw athleticism to WR as well as Green. Based on that, I'd lean in the direction of Green being the better "student of the game." Most of what I've seen and read about Green would back that up. He is remarkably dedicated and has terrific work ethic. This isn't to say that Jones doesn't. I just haven't heard it mentioned. Maybe he will become more of a "student of the game" now that he is in the NFL. I think both will turn into very good players at the NFL level and both will become true NFL WR1's. The only real debate for me is if they become great. I think Green has a better chance at being great, not just very good.
Jones had a better combine, but Green seems to be a more natural catcher. That's still raw athleticism on both counts. If Jones has to concentrate and Green doesn't as much...That was my point. Both guys have some things they naturally do better than the other. You describe Green as a better student of the game, yet Jones gets high marks for his blocking and route running...those are things that indicate an appreciation of the position's requirements that immature divas from spread offenses, for example, may not embrace.

When Jones is drawing praise for his maturity and looks like a veteran receiver out on the field in his routes, that's not raw athletic ability getting hyped...that's learned skill.

As I said, I think the two are close enough in what they initially bring to the table that what happens to them once in the NFL is going to be the deciding factor in which has the better career.

'Sabertooth said:
I've looked at these kids and I've seen the rankings. Nowhere do I see Julio Jones ranked ahead of Green. I realize talent is a big component to NFL success. But it is not everything. Here you have a kid with some potential going to the Bungles. And a kid with some potential going to the Falcons. Is the gap in talent so vast that Green+Gradkoski is greater than Jones+Ryan? Just from a stability standpoint you have to like the Falcons about 100 times more than the Bengals. They appear to place some type of priority on building a winning franchise. The Bengals? Not so much. They appear to be operating without a rudder. I just don't see how AJ Green has a stronger career than Julio Jones. Obviously the Falcons traded a boatload of picks for Jones so they have a very high opinion of him. I think they gave up 5 picks to get him if I'm not mistaken. He was already inserted into the starting lineup. The Falcons saw what Green Bay's multiple receiving sets can do to a defense and they know they have to bring their passing game up to snuff if they want to compete with the Packers, Colts, Pats type of teams. I think Jones has a better rookie season and is better at least through the expiration of their rookie contracts. After that, who knows?
I agree with you for the most part. Also I went to UGA and live in Birmingham AL and have seen most of the snaps both guys have ever played. During college they were either talked about as equals, or that Green was second best in the conference to Julio.I always said that Julio was pro-ready as a freshman. Much more pro-ready than Green throughout their college careers. Green does have better hands and more natural ball-tracking ability, but not by that much. Jones has a more pro-type body and always has. Green remained rail-thin throughout college and I still think he'll need to bulk up more to be as good a pro as his skills could make him.When you look at only skill, Green is better, but he'll only be a better pro if he can bulk up considerably without losing speed or agility, something many players have struggled to do.Also, there is no denying that Jones is playing for a better coach, QB, and franchise in every sense of the term. The difference between Ryan/Dalton for the next two years is going to have those that draft Green over Jones kicking themselves for the next two years, especially since the skinny on Dalton is that he is a good short and intermediate passer but does not have the arm for deep passes in the NFL. To me, this says that the QB they drafted does not correspond to the WR they drafted (not surprising, this is Cincy after all). The only reason that Jones is ranked behind Green is the occasional drops/lack of concentration, and the fact that he will be the WR2 as long as White is in Atlanta. Ryan is more of a 3500-yard guy than a 4k or 5k passer, so people figure a smaller pie and penciling in 1300 for Roddy and 700 for Gonzo leaves only 1500 yards for the entire rest of the team.I could see a scenario where the Falcons lean less on Turner and more on their passing game this year, which might tick Natty Ice closer to 4k yards, so I could see Julio finishing with about 850 this year and maybe 1100 next year with TDs 5-8. The shark move is probably to take Julio over Green, then trade for Green midway through season 2 as the Bengals struggle to make the most of him.One more note: Mark Richt's players have not faired too well in the pros, most either failing to live up to hype/potential, or flaming out. If you're sitting on the fence, I would not overlook the Saban education vs the Richt education.

Not to be outdone by Julio Jones, Bengals first-rounder A.J. Green is drawing raves early in training camp.

"He catches everything," writes Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson, "No one's covered him, and when he is, he jumps up and takes it away." Coach Marvin Lewis is already calling Green an "upgrade" on Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens. "He showed his physical prowess out there today," said Lewis while shaking his head. Safety Chris Crocker, a 110-game veteran, already has Green in the "upper echelon" of receivers

The bolded are mutually exclusive. I fully agree that Atl is the better place for winning. Most certainly in the short term anyway. Stats happen on both good teams and bad teams though. The fact of the matter is someone is going to be catching passes in Cinci and over the past several years that someone has produced excellent stats. That someone is going to be Green, who only has to fight off his TE for targets.
Cincy did not have a 1k receiver last year, which does not meet the criteria of "Excellent" stats. Plus they have demonstrably downgraded at QB from last year.

?Would Andre Johnson be a good comparison for Jones?
Not really sure, haven't watched enough of Andre's game. But I will say that when we got him as a freshman my jaw dropped. I never had any trouble immediately finding him on the field. Just look for the receiver that's way bigger than anyone else.He's a physical freak and is built like TO. What's crazy is that he was like that before going pro.Not surprised to read that AJ Green is drawing rave reviews as well. You really can't go wrong with either in terms of being a sure thing at the WR position. As another poster said it comes down to intangibles and right now at least those are in Jones favor. In three years when both are hitting their strides, they might not be. But for now I don't like where the Bengals are headed, if reports are true that Dalton has no deep ball.

Cincy did not have a 1k receiver last year, which does not meet the criteria of "Excellent" stats. Plus they have demonstrably downgraded at QB from last year.
This is silliness. Cinci had one WR put up over 900 yds and 9 Tds in less than 14 games and another put up over 800 yds and 4 Tds in less than 14 games. Both of those guys are past their prime, the better of which is way beyond it.

U also said over the past several years. Regardless, cincy does not have a good qb situ going forward.

When you look at only skill, Green is better, but he'll only be a better pro if he can bulk up considerably without losing speed or agility, something many players have struggled to do.
People seem to bring this up a lot around here, certain WRs not having the "bulk" to play in the NFL. Is there anything to back this up? Many WRs have done just fine without having to bulk up. It seems to me it's not about bulk, it's about technique. Is there evidence to suggest that WRs need to "bulk up?"

When you look at only skill, Green is better, but he'll only be a better pro if he can bulk up considerably without losing speed or agility, something many players have struggled to do.
People seem to bring this up a lot around here, certain WRs not having the "bulk" to play in the NFL. Is there anything to back this up? Many WRs have done just fine without having to bulk up. It seems to me it's not about bulk, it's about technique. Is there evidence to suggest that WRs need to "bulk up?"
Wasn't Randy Moss 6'4" 210 lbs while terrorizing db's over his illustrious career?Look at #5 on this list

?Would Andre Johnson be a good comparison for Jones?
Terrell Owens is the best comparison I can think of. (I've seen ever Julio snap of his career)He is built similar to Owens, he is physical like Owens. He works hard like Owens...heck he even occasionally drops the ball like Owens. A virtual clone...except........There isn't an ounce of diva in Julio.He's going to be a superstar, but then I think AJ Green will be too. This rookie class is going to end up being one of the better ones in a long time. A ton of talent, and the top three are extraordinary.

Wasn't Randy Moss 6'4" 210 lbs while terrorizing db's over his illustrious career?Look at #5 on this list
Green is 6'4", 211 lbs.

Green is 6'4", 211 lbs.
Exactly.....I am not worried about his frame/build at all. :coffee:

Green has to fight double coverage and Jones doesn't ;)
If they were both going to get the same number of targets I would certainly take the guy in single coverage. But the downside of double coverage is easily outweighed by the increase in targets. And if you believe Green really is going to live up to his draft status you should believe he's going to come down with a lot of catches even in double coverage.
I would take Jones over Green straight up.
Same here. Jones is in a much better place

tastes geat...less filling...taste great...less filling
:goodposting: Splitting hairs IMHO...I have a (dynasty) preference for Green over Jones but like both as blue chip players and wouldn't fault you for taking either one with a rookie pick (depending upon scoring format) in the 1.01 to 1.03 range.

Some people have held onto the delusion that Green is the better player for quite some time. Once the season starts it will quickly be obvious that Julio has the higher skillset. Give me Julio any day of the week. Throw in Matt Ryan vs........Dalton? No brainer.
Where do you see this? I'd really like to know. They faced similar competition in the SEC, Green had the worse QB, worst skill players around him and fought double teams the entire time but made a pretty average team competitive while he was in. I really don't see this point, watching both players it's clear Green is the better player. Julio drops too many balls.
Green had the better QB last year. And Julio's reputation for dropping balls was built in his Fresh and Soph years....and was more of a concentration issue than bad hands. He was focused his junior year and it showed in a major way.Patrick Peterson said he's take Jones of the two, by the way.
Peterson didn't even play against Green last year. Both guys did a nice job of posting numbers against LSU in their careers.Jones: 3 games, 21 receptions, 319 yds, 2 tds.Green: 2 games, 8 receptions, 188 yds, 2 tds.I broke down the LSU/Alabama game last year and almost all of Jones damage was done vs. other guys not named Peterson, by the way. He did score that nice late TD against him... then again Green did the same thing 2 years ago.
Oh, I'm sure Peterson leaned to Julio due to their epic 3-year battle....but just wanted to add some perspective from the only competitor quote we have to the comments on here about Green being 'clearly better'...

I agree with the OP. Jones is working opposite a stud WR and with a franchise QB. Green is playing with noodle armed QB's on a team destined for double digit losses. Jones is way more valuable near and long term than Green imo.
I like Jones but I can't say I love his situation. He's opposite a top 3 WR in the league (IMO anyway), so right there he's limited. I guess I'd classify Ryan as a franchise QB but I also classify Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady as franchise QB's and in no way is he that type of guy nor do I think he has that kind of potential. He's a good QB and I think that is his ceiling.You're right in the fact that we don't know the QB situation in Cinci today or what's going to happen in the future but we usually know what it means when a bad team is bad....they end up drafting a stud QB.Yes, the Bengals won't win the amount of games Atlanta will but that doesn't mean much to me. How do we know the Bengals won't be down 20 points at halftime much of the season and they have to throw all season.Green's statline maybe 8 receptions for 90 yards and 1 TD more common than you'd think while much of it earned in the 2nd half of games.My overall point is if you like Green's talent/ability over Jones (which I do), don't let Green's situation in Cinci stop you from drafting him over Julio.Another thing to point out is I am skeptical on just how many TD's Jones will catch this season. Atlanta is a pound the ball first type team, and then when they do pass it down in the endzone, they have a lot of set plays for White and some funky plays to Snelling. I could see Julio making a positive impact to the team but his overall fantasy numbers could lack a punch.

I agree with the OP. Jones is working opposite a stud WR and with a franchise QB. Green is playing with noodle armed QB's on a team destined for double digit losses. Jones is way more valuable near and long term than Green imo.
I like Jones but I can't say I love his situation. He's opposite a top 3 WR in the league (IMO anyway), so right there he's limited. I guess I'd classify Ryan as a franchise QB but I also classify Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady as franchise QB's and in no way is he that type of guy nor do I think he has that kind of potential. He's a good QB and I think that is his ceiling.You're right in the fact that we don't know the QB situation in Cinci today or what's going to happen in the future but we usually know what it means when a bad team is bad....they end up drafting a stud QB.Yes, the Bengals won't win the amount of games Atlanta will but that doesn't mean much to me. How do we know the Bengals won't be down 20 points at halftime much of the season and they have to throw all season.Green's statline maybe 8 receptions for 90 yards and 1 TD more common than you'd think while much of it earned in the 2nd half of games.My overall point is if you like Green's talent/ability over Jones (which I do), don't let Green's situation in Cinci stop you from drafting him over Julio.Another thing to point out is I am skeptical on just how many TD's Jones will catch this season. Atlanta is a pound the ball first type team, and then when they do pass it down in the endzone, they have a lot of set plays for White and some funky plays to Snelling. I could see Julio making a positive impact to the team but his overall fantasy numbers could lack a punch.
I guess that the uncertainty of Cincy's long term QB does raise the expectations for a future franchise QB, but it certainly isn't a given. I'll go with the sure thing in Ryan. Remember as good as Roddy White is, he's 29. Jones is a head and shoulders above the rest, physically gifted playmaker, and I predict instant return on investment. Already, there are grumblings that the Falcons are going to air it out more with an older, slower Turner grinding it out few carries. I also like Green a lot, but the uncertainty at QB has me rating him slightly below Jones. He could easily also have the garbage stats that you suggest. But whether it's Dalton or Gradkowski, I don't have high confidence that either is going to put up good numbers. If it's a matter of how I spend my WR3 pick, I'd rather take the upside without the risk.

Using the wide receiver matrix I put in the following:

AJ Green: WR1 (in a typical offense) on a run based team that projects to a "D" or below average offense.

Julio Jones WR2 (in a typical offense) on a balanced offense that projects to a "B" or above average offense.

Survey Says:

AJ Green ranks WR33

Julio Jones ranks WR52

Link to Matrix

AJ Green: WR1 (in a typical offense) on a run based team that projects to a "D" or below average offense.

Julio Jones WR2 (in a typical offense) on a balanced offense that projects to a "B" or above average offense.

Survey Says:

AJ Green ranks WR33

Julio Jones ranks WR52

Link to Matrix
From your analysis, I don't see where Jones is WR52, he should come up as WR47 on your scale.First, I agree with your assessment of Cincinnati’s offense, so no argument on Green at WR 33.

However, I think Atlanta will be a pass heavy offense with the addition of Jones, and the age, and wear & tear of Turner. If I change the assumption of Atlanta to:

Julio Jones WR2 (in a typical offense) on a pass heavy offense that projects to a "B" or above average offense.

Then, Jones yields WR 35, (conservatively comparable to Green, (33 vs 35)). But If I take the comparison one step further: It’s early, and obviously I am excited about the Jones/White duo. So, if I change the assumption to:

Julio Jones WR2 (in a DUO offense) on a pass heavy offense that projects to a "B" or above average offense.

Then, Jones yields a WR14 score.

Survey Says:

AJ Green ranks WR33

Julio Jones ranks WR52

Link to Matrix
From your analysis, I don't see where Jones is WR52, he should come up as WR47 on your scale.First, I agree with your assessment of Cincinnati’s offense, so no argument on Green at WR 33.

However, I think Atlanta will be a pass heavy offense with the addition of Jones, and the age, and wear & tear of Turner. If I change the assumption of Atlanta to:

Julio Jones WR2 (in a typical offense) on a pass heavy offense that projects to a "B" or above average offense.

Then, Jones yields WR 35, (conservatively comparable to Green, (33 vs 35)). But If I take the comparison one step further: It’s early, and obviously I am excited about the Jones/White duo. So, if I change the assumption to:

Julio Jones WR2 (in a DUO offense) on a pass heavy offense that projects to a "B" or above average offense.

Then, Jones yields a WR14 score.
Obviously we are just giving educated guesses here, but yeah, any of these scenarios is possible. Just thought the matrix might be useful.

Calvin Johnson went to the Lions of all teams, the horrible Lions..Fitz went to the horrible Cardinals, etc. good wrs can thrive in bad situations. Yes situation is certainly part of the equation but Green will likely be in the league for 10 years and a lot can change over that time.
Thread should have stopped here.

I posted this in the other JJ thread but I wanted to post it here as well.

Let's be honest here and it's time to drive a mack truck thru this Jones/Green debate. Julio Jones is entering a situation similar to what Randy Moss entered in Minnesota. I'm not saying Jones is Moss but I am saying that Atlanta is already talented before he gets there. he doesn't need to be the straw that stirs the drink, in fact he very well might be the drink. the Vikings had Carter, CPepp, and Robert Smith already locked in and ready to roll. The Vikes finished 15-1 that season and went to the NFC Champ where they were narrowly defeated by Atlanta of all teams.

Jones is landing in a far superior situation and those that bought the Green Kool-Aid, my condolences. Is jones the better WR? Hardly matters. Was Foster the best RB in terms of skills last year in the NFL? Expletive NO! He landed on a great team with a rock solid offense already and stars around him, any RB that can't make it on that type of offense shouldn't be in the league.

I am a firm believer in situation over raw talent. Sure sometimes the talent overrides but i don't think either of these guys is Calvin Johnson either. Jones will exploit defenses and abuse 2nd class DBs.

I don't think 1,000/8 is too much to project. I'm not saying he will hit that but his ceiling is pretty high if he does what some think he will. He is starting too, they sent Jenkins on his way, everything is being cleared out for him plus they sunk a ton of draft picks in him so he will see the ball and have plays designed to get him in space but I think he will be able to do that on his own

Green was not only considered the best receiver in the draft, some considered him the best player in the draft regardless of position. I never heard that about Jones. To me the talent difference is substantial and that makes my decision easy.

For dynasty, I could care less about situation. Also, I don't think Jones has as much of an edge in situation this year as much as some do.

Green was not only considered the best receiver in the draft, some considered him the best player in the draft regardless of position. I never heard that about Jones. To me the talent difference is substantial and that makes my decision easy.

For dynasty, I could care less about situation. Also, I don't think Jones has as much of an edge in situation this year as much as some do.
AB with the mightiest of mights in the respect column that is absolute foolishness. Atlanta is young and they are going to be good in 2011, 2012, 2013, they have laid the foundation to be a perrenial 10-11 game winner for the next many years and JJ's development will be much quicker. Green has to face Pitt and Balt 4 times a year...and if you think Cleveland is gonna keep stinking forever with Holmgren in charge...you get what I'm saying? Cinci plays in a different league than most other teams in the NFL. They live in a different world.

I gotta do a dyansty thread and the mindset of folks in these leagues.

TY AB, please don't take what I posted personal, not meant to be.

I posted this in the other JJ thread but I wanted to post it here as well. Let's be honest here and it's time to drive a mack truck thru this Jones/Green debate. Julio Jones is entering a situation similar to what Randy Moss entered in Minnesota. I'm not saying Jones is Moss but I am saying that Atlanta is already talented before he gets there. he doesn't need to be the straw that stirs the drink, in fact he very well might be the drink. the Vikings had Carter, CPepp, and Robert Smith already locked in and ready to roll. The Vikes finished 15-1 that season and went to the NFC Champ where they were narrowly defeated by Atlanta of all teams. Jones is landing in a far superior situation and those that bought the Green Kool-Aid, my condolences. Is jones the better WR? Hardly matters. Was Foster the best RB in terms of skills last year in the NFL? Expletive NO! He landed on a great team with a rock solid offense already and stars around him, any RB that can't make it on that type of offense shouldn't be in the league. I am a firm believer in situation over raw talent. Sure sometimes the talent overrides but i don't think either of these guys is Calvin Johnson either. Jones will exploit defenses and abuse 2nd class DBs.I don't think 1,000/8 is too much to project. I'm not saying he will hit that but his ceiling is pretty high if he does what some think he will. He is starting too, they sent Jenkins on his way, everything is being cleared out for him plus they sunk a ton of draft picks in him so he will see the ball and have plays designed to get him in space but I think he will be able to do that on his own
I hear ya and give some credence to situation as being a factor in success, but don't lose sight of the fact that Cincy passed on the King's Ransom offer from Atlanta for the 4th pick and then let Carson, TO, and Ocho go, choosing instead to go with the youth movement in Green and Dalton. They will feed Green, loading him with as many targets as he can handle. His pedigree is such he won't have too many drops. Gradkowski is more than capable of getting him the ball. All this leads me as seeing Cincy as having the better situation for bringing about a new WR1.

Greg Little should be in this debate IMO. That WR core is thin and bothered by injuries. Someone has to catch the ball there.

I posted this in the other JJ thread but I wanted to post it here as well. Let's be honest here and it's time to drive a mack truck thru this Jones/Green debate. Julio Jones is entering a situation similar to what Randy Moss entered in Minnesota. I'm not saying Jones is Moss but I am saying that Atlanta is already talented before he gets there. he doesn't need to be the straw that stirs the drink, in fact he very well might be the drink. the Vikings had Carter, CPepp, and Robert Smith already locked in and ready to roll. The Vikes finished 15-1 that season and went to the NFC Champ where they were narrowly defeated by Atlanta of all teams. Jones is landing in a far superior situation and those that bought the Green Kool-Aid, my condolences. Is jones the better WR? Hardly matters. Was Foster the best RB in terms of skills last year in the NFL? Expletive NO! He landed on a great team with a rock solid offense already and stars around him, any RB that can't make it on that type of offense shouldn't be in the league. I am a firm believer in situation over raw talent. Sure sometimes the talent overrides but i don't think either of these guys is Calvin Johnson either. Jones will exploit defenses and abuse 2nd class DBs.I don't think 1,000/8 is too much to project. I'm not saying he will hit that but his ceiling is pretty high if he does what some think he will. He is starting too, they sent Jenkins on his way, everything is being cleared out for him plus they sunk a ton of draft picks in him so he will see the ball and have plays designed to get him in space but I think he will be able to do that on his own
I hear ya and give some credence to situation as being a factor in success, but don't lose sight of the fact that Cincy passed on the King's Ransom offer from Atlanta for the 4th pick and then let Carson, TO, and Ocho go, choosing instead to go with the youth movement in Green and Dalton. They will feed Green, loading him with as many targets as he can handle. His pedigree is such he won't have too many drops. Gradkowski is more than capable of getting him the ball. All this leads me as seeing Cincy as having the better situation for bringing about a new WR1.
Was Atlanta going to take Green? Cinci could have restocked their team thru the draft with 5 extra picks and hunkered down and took a WR? I saw this movie once in Detroit and it didn't play out too well until Calvin arrived.

Was Atlanta going to take Green? Cinci could have restocked their team thru the draft with 5 extra picks and hunkered down and took a WR? I saw this movie once in Detroit and it didn't play out too well until Calvin arrived.
Yes, reports are that the Falcon and Bengals held discussions for the Falcons to move up to #4 and select Green.http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/4/28/2140956/2011-nfl-draft-bengals-felt-falcons-trade-offer-was-undervalue

AB with the mightiest of mights in the respect column that is absolute foolishness. Atlanta is young and they are going to be good in 2011, 2012, 2013, they have laid the foundation to be a perrenial 10-11 game winner for the next many years and JJ's development will be much quicker. Green has to face Pitt and Balt 4 times a year...and if you think Cleveland is gonna keep stinking forever with Holmgren in charge...you get what I'm saying? Cinci plays in a different league than most other teams in the NFL. They live in a different world.

I never take differences of opinion personal and I know you don't either. :thumbup: Just because Atlanta is going to be good and the Bengals aren't doesn't mean Jones will be a better fantasy receiver than Green. Also, situations change, talent doesn't. Also, I value Green much higher in terms of talent. I think Green has top 5 potential. I never thought that of Jones. Based on that, I would take Green all day long. Also, since you mention situations, Green doesn't have Roddy White stealing 150 or so targets on his team. I think the situations are much closer than you do. But regardless, I will stand by what I said. I value talent much higher than situation. I also never count on rookie WRs, so the current year doesn't mean anything to me.

I was being more smart-alecky than anything, but just stepping back and observing the NFL, it is amazing how quickly situations go from good to bad, and vice versa. It wasn't that long ago that St. Louis was a terrible situation. Now every owner of a free agent WR is praying their guy winds up there. What if the Bengals go 2-14 and take Luck, and he's the best thing since sliced bread? And there's no Roddy White there to take 150 targets from Green. It doesn't take much. A player. A coach.

I never take differences of opinion personal and I know you don't either. :thumbup: Just because Atlanta is going to be good and the Bengals aren't doesn't mean Jones will be a better fantasy receiver than Green. Also, situations change, talent doesn't. Also, I value Green much higher in terms of talent. I think Green has top 5 potential. I never thought that of Jones. Based on that, I would take Green all day long. Also, since you mention situations, Green doesn't have Roddy White stealing 150 or so targets on his team. I think the situations are much closer than you do. But regardless, I will stand by what I said. I value talent much higher than situation. I also never count on rookie WRs, so the current year doesn't mean anything to me.
Well sure it does. Injuries and age impact every single player at some point.

I was being more smart-alecky than anything, but just stepping back and observing the NFL, it is amazing how quickly situations go from good to bad, and vice versa. It wasn't that long ago that St. Louis was a terrible situation. Now every owner of a free agent WR is praying their guy winds up there. What if the Bengals go 2-14 and take Luck, and he's the best thing since sliced bread? And there's no Roddy White there to take 150 targets from Green. It doesn't take much. A player. A coach.
Good points all.

he just worried me when he took hits over the middle. Seemed like he was going to snap in half. But he never got real hurt so I guess not.Think this comes down to situation.

Calvin Johnson went to the Lions of all teams, the horrible Lions..Fitz went to the horrible Cardinals, etc. good wrs can thrive in bad situations. Yes situation is certainly part of the equation but Green will likely be in the league for 10 years and a lot can change over that time.
At first I was inclined to agree with this way of thinking wholeheartedly, but as a Calvin owner, I tend to lean to the thought that Calvin has been a bit of a disappointment. If you consider his talent and expectations, he has essentially underproduced solely because of his situation to which he was drafted. He has been dealt with mediocraty as QB for the last 4 years, which IMO has held back his expectations. Only now, 5 seasons later, is Calvin projected to be a top WR in FFB. If he had landed in a situation with a respectable QB, this could have been much different, even with a Roddy White as his opposite WR. We could easily be discussing him as the obvious #1 WR in the league who could put up Randy Moss in NE type numbers any year and every year. Instead, we are 5 years into his career before he has reached that status. The talent level between the two is essentially equal. We know Julio has gone to a good situation with Matt Ryan as QB. We have no idea what the Cinny situation provides us. For these reasons, I'm leaning to Julio as my pick over Green. It may be 3, 5, 8 years before Green's situation improves before being a visable fantasy option as a top WR. Julio can be this in 2-3 years soley because of his situation.

You know, when I think of savvy front offices and organizations that are making the right move at just the right time...I think Bengals... :toilet:

You know, when I think of savvy front offices and organizations that are making the right move at just the right time...I think Bengals... :toilet:
Lmao.....gotta love those bungles....er um Bengals.Eta that Mike Brown could do a lot to dispel bad reputation by getting something in a trade for Carson Palmer.

The one thing that's always in the back of my head reagarding Mayock - as much as I love him - he's not that good at projecting WRs. At least that's my perception.

It's amazing how different the opinions are on these two. I'm hearing contradicting opinions and I didn't see them play at all in college to formulate my own opinion. I guess with that I'll take the opinion of Jerry Rice who seems to favor Green. I also think Dalton is going to be a perenial pro-bowler so I don't see him as a hinderance.

I posted this in the other JJ thread but I wanted to post it here as well.

Let's be honest here and it's time to drive a mack truck thru this Jones/Green debate. Julio Jones is entering a situation similar to what Randy Moss entered in Minnesota. I'm not saying Jones is Moss but I am saying that Atlanta is already talented before he gets there. he doesn't need to be the straw that stirs the drink, in fact he very well might be the drink. the Vikings had Carter, CPepp, and Robert Smith already locked in and ready to roll. The Vikes finished 15-1 that season and went to the NFC Champ where they were narrowly defeated by Atlanta of all teams.

Jones is landing in a far superior situation and those that bought the Green Kool-Aid, my condolences. Is jones the better WR? Hardly matters. Was Foster the best RB in terms of skills last year in the NFL? Expletive NO! He landed on a great team with a rock solid offense already and stars around him, any RB that can't make it on that type of offense shouldn't be in the league.

I am a firm believer in situation over raw talent. Sure sometimes the talent overrides but i don't think either of these guys is Calvin Johnson either. Jones will exploit defenses and abuse 2nd class DBs.

I don't think 1,000/8 is too much to project. I'm not saying he will hit that but his ceiling is pretty high if he does what some think he will. He is starting too, they sent Jenkins on his way, everything is being cleared out for him plus they sunk a ton of draft picks in him so he will see the ball and have plays designed to get him in space but I think he will be able to do that on his own
so then why did you use moss as evidence?

To me, AJ is Fitz. Period. Julio has a Braylon floor, with an uncertain future. Could be Moss, but could be the floor (Braylon).

It's possible AJ Green may wind up in a situation where he has a QB like Matt Ryan, but pretty damn unlikely. The NFL only gets one of those guys every few years. Julio Jones is already in that offense and will be for the forseeable future. You look at Julio now and see him as the number 2 guy, but if you're looking at dynasty you do want to look down the track as well. Maybe AJ Green gets to play with a Pro Bowl QB in 3 years time and starts putting up numbers. In 3 years Roddy White will be 33, Tony Gonzalez will be retired, Michael Turner will not be a Falcon and Julio Jones will be 25. Who will be the Falcons #1 WR at that point?

At first I was inclined to agree with this way of thinking wholeheartedly, but as a Calvin owner, I tend to lean to the thought that Calvin has been a bit of a disappointment. If you consider his talent and expectations, he has essentially underproduced solely because of his situation to which he was drafted. He has been dealt with mediocraty as QB for the last 4 years, which IMO has held back his expectations. Only now, 5 seasons later, is Calvin projected to be a top WR in FFB. If he had landed in a situation with a respectable QB, this could have been much different, even with a Roddy White as his opposite WR. We could easily be discussing him as the obvious #1 WR in the league who could put up Randy Moss in NE type numbers any year and every year. Instead, we are 5 years into his career before he has reached that status. The talent level between the two is essentially equal. We know Julio has gone to a good situation with Matt Ryan as QB. We have no idea what the Cinny situation provides us. For these reasons, I'm leaning to Julio as my pick over Green. It may be 3, 5, 8 years before Green's situation improves before being a visable fantasy option as a top WR. Julio can be this in 2-3 years soley because of his situation.
ya, he hasn't quite lived up to expectations but he's finished 35, 3, 21 and 6th. Not exactly chopped liver and he's in a position from now going forward to be the #1 wr probably for the next 5-7 years. I think anyone in your league would gladly take him off your hands and pay you nicely for him.

ya, he hasn't quite lived up to expectations but he's finished 35, 3, 21 and 6th. Not exactly chopped liver and he's in a position from now going forward to be the #1 wr probably for the next 5-7 years. I think anyone in your league would gladly take him off your hands and pay you nicely for him.
So you have a guy who has never been #1 being in position to be #1 for the next 5-7 years? :confused:

So you have a guy who has never been #1 being in position to be #1 for the next 5-7 years? :confused:
Kind of a bizarre comment and I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. If you are looking at the past solely to predict a players future I think you're in the wrong game. This year he's ranked #2, would it really be a stretch for him to finish 1st? Right now he's ranked as the #2 dynasty wr, would it be a stretch if he had a monster year that he'd be bumped to #1?BTW... AP has never finished #1 and yet he's ranked as the #1 RB on most boards.

Users who are viewing this thread