What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julio Jones vs AJ Green (1 Viewer)

I'm not down on either, but I think people's expectations are slightly too high for this year. Be careful with both. I've seen every Bama game past 3 years...Jones drops too many balls. I'm slighly down on Green because there's no way Dalton is going to be ready. Keep your eye out next year for Alshon Jeffery, he impressed me more than Jones or Green as a sophomore.

Calvin Johnson went to the Lions of all teams, the horrible Lions..Fitz went to the horrible Cardinals, etc. good wrs can thrive in bad situations. Yes situation is certainly part of the equation but Green will likely be in the league for 10 years and a lot can change over that time.
Thread should have stopped here.
At first I was inclined to agree with this way of thinking wholeheartedly, but as a Calvin owner, I tend to lean to the thought that Calvin has been a bit of a disappointment. If you consider his talent and expectations, he has essentially underproduced solely because of his situation to which he was drafted. He has been dealt with mediocraty as QB for the last 4 years, which IMO has held back his expectations. Only now, 5 seasons later, is Calvin projected to be a top WR in FFB. If he had landed in a situation with a respectable QB, this could have been much different, even with a Roddy White as his opposite WR. We could easily be discussing him as the obvious #1 WR in the league who could put up Randy Moss in NE type numbers any year and every year. Instead, we are 5 years into his career before he has reached that status. The talent level between the two is essentially equal. We know Julio has gone to a good situation with Matt Ryan as QB. We have no idea what the Cinny situation provides us. For these reasons, I'm leaning to Julio as my pick over Green. It may be 3, 5, 8 years before Green's situation improves before being a visable fantasy option as a top WR. Julio can be this in 2-3 years soley because of his situation.
ya, he hasn't quite lived up to expectations but he's finished 35, 3, 21 and 6th. Not exactly chopped liver and he's in a position from now going forward to be the #1 wr probably for the next 5-7 years. I think anyone in your league would gladly take him off your hands and pay you nicely for him.
So you have a guy who has never been #1 being in position to be #1 for the next 5-7 years? :confused:
Kind of a bizarre comment and I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. If you are looking at the past solely to predict a players future I think you're in the wrong game. This year he's ranked #2, would it really be a stretch for him to finish 1st? Right now he's ranked as the #2 dynasty wr, would it be a stretch if he had a monster year that he'd be bumped to #1?BTW... AP has never finished #1 and yet he's ranked as the #1 RB on most boards.
It would be a stretch for him to be the #1 ranked guy for 5-7 years.

There are some very compelling arguments that Talent matters more than Situation over the long term. But the inconsistent nature of Calvin's career only magnifies the point that talent without situation can blunt a star receiver's production/ceiling.

I am firmly in the boat that all things being equal, situation is more important than talent. You see very pedestrian receivers flourish under Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. Green and Julio are both head and shoulders above the rest of the rookie class. They are in my opinion both capable of being drafted within in the top 10 some day. But Julio has the more stable, secure path. Green will have to deal with losing and marginal talent around him. Probably a coaching change here and there until they get better. That's a lot to deal with. Julio has the opportunity to be a star out of the gate.

There are some very compelling arguments that Talent matters more than Situation over the long term. But the inconsistent nature of Calvin's career only magnifies the point that talent without situation can blunt a star receiver's production/ceiling.
I think the exact opposite and think Calvin is a terrific example of why you choose talent...he's 4 years into his career and he's finished 3rd, 21st and 6th after his rookie year. That's playing on a horrendous team, with multiple QBs and he's had to deal with some injuries to boot. Now with the Lions still not nearly being a top team he's ranked #2 in redraft and dynasty going forward. When comparing vs. the other top wr's right now in terms of consistency...I looked at the guys ranked at the top and averaged their finishes over the last 3 years:AJ - 4Roddy - 5.3Fitz - 7.6Wayne - 9Jennings - 9.3CJ - 10 so even if you're looking at consistency he's still in the top handful despite not a lot of things going his way and he's setup to be a top guy going forward. To me, CJ is the shining example of why you take talent over the long term. Good players will produce and the team will build the offense around them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the exact opposite and think Calvin is a terrific example of why you choose talent...he's 4 years into his career and he's finished 3rd, 21st and 6th after his rookie year. That's playing on a horrendous team, with multiple QBs and he's had to deal with some injuries to boot. Now with the Lions still not nearly being a top team he's ranked #2 in redraft and dynasty going forward. When comparing vs. the other top wr's right now in terms of consistency...I looked at the guys ranked at the top and averaged their finishes over the last 3 years:AJ - 4Roddy - 5.3Fitz - 7.6Wayne - 9Jennings - 9.3CJ - 10 so even if you're looking at consistency he's still in the top handful despite not a lot of things going his way and he's setup to be a top guy going forward. To me, CJ is the shining example of why you take talent over the long term. Good players will produce and the team will build the offense around them.
You can take this same set of data and come to a different conclusion. Call it confirmation bias. I see two inferior players to Fitzgerald ahead of him because they have pro bowl Quarterbacks. I also see 4 of the six having pro bowl caliber quarterbacks.Talent wise I'd rank those same playersFitzCalvinAndreWayneRoddyJenningsYet that is not the order here is it? Also I think Green and Julio Jones are closer in talent than Green and Fitzgerald or Calvin.I'd slot our two case studies in like this.FitzCalvinAndreGreenWayneRoddyJonesJennings

I'm torn in both directions and here is why.

I live in Atlanta and am both a big Falcon fan as well as a UGA fan. AJ was silly good at UGA, there were times he had all the coverage and he simply beat them, it didn't matter. Yes it was against collegiate DB's (SEC mind you) but that is what he had to play with.

Julio is also a beast and this comes from the best TE the game has ever seen. If it was posted earlier, I aplogize, but here is Tony Gonzalez's tweet yesterday. I don't know how to put the tweet link in, maybe someone can show me how...

Per Tony Gonzalez

"This kid Julio Jones is the real deal. He's the best incoming receiver I've ever played with. Come to think of it, it's not even close."

Anyhow, I just think we have two special WR's here and it should be fun to watch over the next several seasons.

I'm torn in both directions and here is why.I live in Atlanta and am both a big Falcon fan as well as a UGA fan. AJ was silly good at UGA, there were times he had all the coverage and he simply beat them, it didn't matter. Yes it was against collegiate DB's (SEC mind you) but that is what he had to play with.Julio is also a beast and this comes from the best TE the game has ever seen. If it was posted earlier, I aplogize, but here is Tony Gonzalez's tweet yesterday. I don't know how to put the tweet link in, maybe someone can show me how...Per Tony Gonzalez"This kid Julio Jones is the real deal. He's the best incoming receiver I've ever played with. Come to think of it, it's not even close."Anyhow, I just think we have two special WR's here and it should be fun to watch over the next several seasons.
In my dynasty league I own Roddy White. And the difference between these guys is razor thin right now. It is a veritable tossup.

I agree with the OP. Jones is working opposite a stud WR and with a franchise QB. Green is playing with noodle armed QB's on a team destined for double digit losses. Jones is way more valuable near and long term than Green imo.
I get a kick out of people who characterize Dalton as having a noodle arm. He comps well to Drew Brees when he came out of Purdue in 2001.
Thats because he watches ESPN and believes what the media tells him.

I live in Atlanta and am both a big Falcon fan as well as a UGA fan. AJ was silly good at UGA, there were times he had all the coverage and he simply beat them, it didn't matter. Yes it was against collegiate DB's (SEC mind you) but that is what he had to play with.

Julio is also a beast and this comes from the best TE the game has ever seen. If it was posted earlier, I aplogize, but here is Tony Gonzalez's tweet yesterday. I don't know how to put the tweet link in, maybe someone can show me how...

Per Tony Gonzalez

"This kid Julio Jones is the real deal. He's the best incoming receiver I've ever played with. Come to think of it, it's not even close."

Anyhow, I just think we have two special WR's here and it should be fun to watch over the next several seasons.
In my dynasty league I own Roddy White. And the difference between these guys is razor thin right now. It is a veritable tossup.
That's how I feel. And also reason why I am confused you went with the typical option on your previous matrix and not "duo". When you listen to yourself, re-read what you just wrote, you have to consider Julio Jones to be a WR14, not a WR 47 or 52.

I agree with the OP. Jones is working opposite a stud WR and with a franchise QB. Green is playing with noodle armed QB's on a team destined for double digit losses. Jones is way more valuable near and long term than Green imo.
I get a kick out of people who characterize Dalton as having a noodle arm. He comps well to Drew Brees when he came out of Purdue in 2001.
Thats because he watches ESPN and believes what the media tells him.
This isn't so much about Dalton, I am talking about noodle armed Gradkowski. Someone I've had to see a lot of. I think he's your starter for most of this year in Cincy. If Dalton gets a shot, I'll re-evaluate but for now, it's Grads.

I'm not down on either, but I think people's expectations are slightly too high for this year. Be careful with both. I've seen every Bama game past 3 years...Jones drops too many balls. I'm slighly down on Green because there's no way Dalton is going to be ready. Keep your eye out next year for Alshon Jeffery, he impressed me more than Jones or Green as a sophomore.
:goodposting: I'd put him in their league. Jones did drop some balls but not so much as a junior.

The one thing that's always in the back of my head reagarding Mayock - as much as I love him - he's not that good at projecting WRs. At least that's my perception.

It's amazing how different the opinions are on these two. I'm hearing contradicting opinions and I didn't see them play at all in college to formulate my own opinion. I guess with that I'll take the opinion of Jerry Rice who seems to favor Green. I also think Dalton is going to be a perenial pro-bowler so I don't see him as a hinderance.
Mayock has been praising Jones lately. But he also had Green ranked ahead of him.So in which direction does that cut in your mind?

Per Tony Gonzalez

That's how I feel. And also reason why I am confused you went with the typical option on your previous matrix and not "duo". When you listen to yourself, re-read what you just wrote, you have to consider Julio Jones to be a WR14, not a WR 47 or 52.
Well, last year the Falcons were a Go-to-guy team. And I'm not convinced that Jones is good enough to basically take the ball out of the hands of Meier. I consider a duo to be along the lines of Bruce-Holt of Harrison-Wayne. I'm not sure a rookie is capable of that. But that's why I linked the chart. You can adjust it according to your thoughts.

The one thing that's always in the back of my head reagarding Mayock - as much as I love him - he's not that good at projecting WRs. At least that's my perception.

It's amazing how different the opinions are on these two. I'm hearing contradicting opinions and I didn't see them play at all in college to formulate my own opinion. I guess with that I'll take the opinion of Jerry Rice who seems to favor Green. I also think Dalton is going to be a perenial pro-bowler so I don't see him as a hinderance.
Mayock has been praising Jones lately. But he also had Green ranked ahead of him.So in which direction does that cut in your mind?
I'm not sure. When talking about presumed super studs maybe his assesment is spot on. But I know there have been a few WRs he's hyped (Robiskie comes to mind) that have done nothing so far.I'm as confused as anyone as to how to rank Green and Julio. I'm leaning Julio only because with an aging Turner, I see the Falcons passing more and with an old Tgonz, I imagine he'll get his fair share of opportunities. I'm not buying into the preseason hype with either of these guys yet. Let me see these guys play in some games.

I'm not sure. When talking about presumed super studs maybe his assesment is spot on. But I know there have been a few WRs he's hyped (Robiskie comes to mind) that have done nothing so far.I'm as confused as anyone as to how to rank Green and Julio. I'm leaning Julio only because with an aging Turner, I see the Falcons passing more and with an old Tgonz, I imagine he'll get his fair share of opportunities. I'm not buying into the preseason hype with either of these guys yet. Let me see these guys play in some games.
it's too early but me knowing what I know today I go Green easily. Situations can change quick. What if they are horrendous (which they could be)...they could get Luck next year? Is that not a possibility? There are tons of things over the course of years that can easily change the fortunes of either player.

it's too early but me knowing what I know today I go Green easily. Situations can change quick. What if they are horrendous (which they could be)...they could get Luck next year? Is that not a possibility? There are tons of things over the course of years that can easily change the fortunes of either player.
Julio's situation could change for the better as well just as easily. And Green's could get much worse.

Julio's situation could change for the better as well just as easily. And Green's could get much worse.
but for the most part Jones is in the conversation due to situation and my point is that the current situation is short term. I don't think Jones situation could get much better and Greens couldnt get much worse. Look at Minn two years ago they looked like they were going to be juggernaut and their window is closing quick.

but for the most part Jones is in the conversation due to situation and my point is that the current situation is short term. I don't think Jones situation could get much better and Greens couldnt get much worse. Look at Minn two years ago they looked like they were going to be juggernaut and their window is closing quick.
I think he's in the conversation because one of the best run organizations in the entire NFL traded a ton of picks to get him. That speaks to his talent. As for situation, maybe they aren't as polar as I originally assumed. That's why I started the thread. It seemed obvious to me that Jones' situation was better. Now I don't believe that as strongly. I've certainly considered and reconsidered more variables. It is going to be a fun thread moving forward.

I think he's in the conversation because one of the best run organizations in the entire NFL traded a ton of picks to get him. That speaks to his talent. As for situation, maybe they aren't as polar as I originally assumed. That's why I started the thread. It seemed obvious to me that Jones' situation was better. Now I don't believe that as strongly. I've certainly considered and reconsidered more variables. It is going to be a fun thread moving forward.
agreed. I have a high pick in a dynasty league and will likely be able to get either of these guys so it s/b fun reading about them all TC and watching them in the preseason.

Then why is everyone acting as though his situation is so great? How much better could it possibly get?
[*]Turner could and will hit the wall within Jones' first contract.

[*]Tony Gonzalez will get older and possibly retire.

[*]Matt Ryan may take that next step to the Rivers Romo Rodgers tier (the R tier as it were).

[*]Roddy White could get injured or leave when his contract is up.

Roddy White is going to compete with Julio Jones for targets. Who is competing with AJ Green?
The guru John Hanson loves Simpson and actually was thinking that Simpson was going to be the #1 WR for the Bengals this year but today on the Fantasy radio talk in a conversation with a Bengals beat writer,(can't remember his name) while admitting Simpson is good he said that Green looks amazing in practice and will be the #1 WR. If Dalton struggles could we see Gradkowski? He showed in Oakland he can get the ball too his receivers.( much better than Campbell IMO)

For this season only I don't like how Green's playoff schedule lines up.

Green's playoff schedule.

Week 14 @ Pittsburgh. Cold weather game against a top defense.

Week 15 Cleveland. Another cold weather game although not against a tough D.

Week 16 San Diego. Another cold weather game against a top defense.

Julio Jones' schedule FWIW.

Week 14 @ Carolina. Weather could be a factor but it won't be cold and the defense is weak.

Week 15 @ Seattle. Again, weather could be a factor. Seattle might be leading the "Suck for Luck" race by then.

Week 16 New Orleans. Great matchup game in the dome at home against a high octane divisional rival. If you get this far, you have to love this matchup.

I'm in a dynasty league and was sold on taking AJ Green without any doubt but, as my draft nears, I find myself questioning whether Julio could be far more valuable this year and just as valuable, if not more, for the duration of his career.

Maybe it's misinterpretation but it seems that Green's talent is 1A and Jones' talent is 1B. Although Green has the edge on talent it doesn't appear to be significant. So based on that, it wouldn't truly matter who you took between the two because better college talent isn't a perfect correlation to NFL talent. Jones could have a better fantasy career than Green and situation may not be the underlying factor for that.

However, the reported news of his electrifying speed after the catch and how he resembles a veteran wr thus far is convincing me to sway towards him more. I can only view Jones' situation as a positive since I would think that would imply him being involved in the offense more consistently and become far more reliable than an up and down team as Cincy will be.

Perhaps my comparison is wrong but I look at Jones as a DeSean Jackson type as far as stats and how he gets them. Perhaps not a 80+ receptions but regularly makes catches for big gains. At least in my league, the big plays can easily translate to a great fantasy point total for the week. It's the players that can explode offensively at any given week that makes for a better chance at winning your league's championship and I wonder if Julio is just that.

I'm in a dynasty league and was sold on taking AJ Green without any doubt but, as my draft nears, I find myself questioning whether Julio could be far more valuable this year and just as valuable, if not more, for the duration of his career.Maybe it's misinterpretation but it seems that Green's talent is 1A and Jones' talent is 1B. Although Green has the edge on talent it doesn't appear to be significant. So based on that, it wouldn't truly matter who you took between the two because better college talent isn't a perfect correlation to NFL talent. Jones could have a better fantasy career than Green and situation may not be the underlying factor for that. However, the reported news of his electrifying speed after the catch and how he resembles a veteran wr thus far is convincing me to sway towards him more. I can only view Jones' situation as a positive since I would think that would imply him being involved in the offense more consistently and become far more reliable than an up and down team as Cincy will be.Perhaps my comparison is wrong but I look at Jones as a DeSean Jackson type as far as stats and how he gets them. Perhaps not a 80+ receptions but regularly makes catches for big gains. At least in my league, the big plays can easily translate to a great fantasy point total for the week. It's the players that can explode offensively at any given week that makes for a better chance at winning your league's championship and I wonder if Julio is just that.
Well, if you are thinking of taking Jones over Green, and you have a high pick (1st or 2nd overall) see if you can dangle it to an owner who might want Ingram or Green and try to bank some additional picks.

I'm in a dynasty league and was sold on taking AJ Green without any doubt but, as my draft nears, I find myself questioning whether Julio could be far more valuable this year and just as valuable, if not more, for the duration of his career.Maybe it's misinterpretation but it seems that Green's talent is 1A and Jones' talent is 1B. Although Green has the edge on talent it doesn't appear to be significant. So based on that, it wouldn't truly matter who you took between the two because better college talent isn't a perfect correlation to NFL talent. Jones could have a better fantasy career than Green and situation may not be the underlying factor for that. However, the reported news of his electrifying speed after the catch and how he resembles a veteran wr thus far is convincing me to sway towards him more. I can only view Jones' situation as a positive since I would think that would imply him being involved in the offense more consistently and become far more reliable than an up and down team as Cincy will be.Perhaps my comparison is wrong but I look at Jones as a DeSean Jackson type as far as stats and how he gets them. Perhaps not a 80+ receptions but regularly makes catches for big gains. At least in my league, the big plays can easily translate to a great fantasy point total for the week. It's the players that can explode offensively at any given week that makes for a better chance at winning your league's championship and I wonder if Julio is just that.
:goodposting: You sum up my thoughts as well. The difference in talent is negligible. And college isn't a perfect correlation to the pros anyhow. Jones may very well simply be the better pro player.

Jones has been taken over green in every dynasty draft I have been in. (three)

The opinion that many in this board seem to push, that of green being 1a and jones being 1b is just flat out wrong at this juncture.

I've said it over and over. Jones has higher upside and is already polished ad complete. I'm not taking anything away from Green as he is legit. But Jones has more upside and I would view him as having more talent.

:goodposting: You sum up my thoughts as well. The difference in talent is negligible. And college isn't a perfect correlation to the pros anyhow. Jones may very well simply be the better pro player.
Not just that, but the uncertainty at the QB position for CIN IMO casts a bit of a pall over Green's long term forecast. Jones could be catching passes from 1 QB for the next 10 years, one who has already established himself as one of the better young QB's in the NFL. That alone makes Jones a better short and long term play over Green.

After watching both for just 1 game, I think Jones has an edge here in terms of talent. His physicality gives him a slight edge IMHO.

In terms of situation/environment, Jones obviously got more lucky and may prove to be a better fantasy WR in the near term as a result, but I don't believe it's a shoe-in...Green is going to get a lot of targets and Jones has to contend with Roddy and Gonzo for targets.

Reading this entire thread has convinced me that this is a complete toss up between these guys. Honestly, if I were picking and had the chance to take both, I might just flip a coin and let fate decide.

'TheDirtyWord said:
'Sabertooth said:
'ffguru56 said:
Not just that, but the uncertainty at the QB position for CIN IMO casts a bit of a pall over Green's long term forecast. Jones could be catching passes from 1 QB for the next 10 years, one who has already established himself as one of the better young QB's in the NFL. That alone makes Jones a better short and long term play over Green.
Or you could look at it as Cinci will be trailing most games and will get more garbage time stats.

Reading this entire thread has convinced me that this is a complete toss up between these guys. Honestly, if I were picking and had the chance to take both, I might just flip a coin and let fate decide.
If you were a Roddy White dynasty owner with the chance to draft either, which way would you go?

'TheDirtyWord said:
'Sabertooth said:
'ffguru56 said:
Or you could look at it as Cinci will be trailing most games and will get more garbage time stats.
You could. I don't know that it even matters though. Carolina has a ton of garbage time last year with a second round rookie QB and they didn't scored less than half the points Atlanta scored. Arizona had very shaky QB play and scored 125 less than Atlanta. Just saying, I'm not sure "garbage time" is a valid thing. I'm not sure it isn't either.

After watching both for just 1 game, I think Jones has an edge here in terms of talent. His physicality gives him a slight edge IMHO.In terms of situation/environment, Jones obviously got more lucky and may prove to be a better fantasy WR in the near term as a result, but I don't believe it's a shoe-in...Green is going to get a lot of targets and Jones has to contend with Roddy and Gonzo for targets.
If you watched a real football conference instead of Pac Warner you'd have known that already ;)

The only thing that made me think Julio would not translate well into the NFL was his hands. If that is a non-issue at this level I think he is clear cut over Green based on situation/organization.

His drops came way down his last year at Bama. I don't think he has the best hands ever but I don't see him as being any worse than most good WR1s in the NFL.

After watching both for just 1 game, I think Jones has an edge here in terms of talent. His physicality gives him a slight edge IMHO.In terms of situation/environment, Jones obviously got more lucky and may prove to be a better fantasy WR in the near term as a result, but I don't believe it's a shoe-in...Green is going to get a lot of targets and Jones has to contend with Roddy and Gonzo for targets.
If you watched a real football conference instead of Pac Warner you'd have known that already ;)
I watched him in college as I do watch a ton of college ball. It's different to seem him "explode" against NFL players...it's a contrast you like to see.

I watched him in college as I do watch a ton of college ball. It's different to seem him "explode" against NFL players...it's a contrast you like to see.
You call that "exploding"?Play one: Uncovered drag route turned up field. Arguably the most "explosive" of the 3 touches.Play two: Slant route and tackled immediately.Play three: Perfectly blocked reverse.He didn't outrun any defenders or break tackles. What was explosive about it? I thought he sort of looked like about 70% of Terrell Owens in his prime. Not a bad thing.As for Green: His short right in route resulted in more broken tackles and outrunning of defenders that Julio's 3 touches combined (even though it was to the sideline).Bottom line: It is too early after one PRESEASON game to judge either. But when it comes down to it, Green is going to get about 10-11 targets consistently, while Jones will have weeks where he only sees 4-5 passes. For me, even with the much worse QB situation, Green is still the way to go both short and long term. Just watch a few Bengals practice highlights. But for the record I think they will both be top 10 WRs in about 2-3 years...

You call that "exploding"?Play one: Uncovered drag route turned up field. Arguably the most "explosive" of the 3 touches.Play two: Slant route and tackled immediately.Play three: Perfectly blocked reverse.He didn't outrun any defenders or break tackles. What was explosive about it? I thought he sort of looked like about 70% of Terrell Owens in his prime. Not a bad thing.As for Green: His short right in route resulted in more broken tackles and outrunning of defenders that Julio's 3 touches combined (even though it was to the sideline).Bottom line: It is too early after one PRESEASON game to judge either. But when it comes down to it, Green is going to get about 10-11 targets consistently, while Jones will have weeks where he only sees 4-5 passes. For me, even with the much worse QB situation, Green is still the way to go both short and long term. Just watch a few Bengals practice highlights. But for the record I think they will both be top 10 WRs in about 2-3 years...
:goodposting: Anyone who thinks Julio is better then green should get a new hobby.. Green is a stud, Julio is nice but will have Roddy, tgon to compete with... AJ will be stud 1 from the get go... esp if lhucks thinks Julio is better, then you better take green :football:

Give me Jones all day.

People need to take the blinders off on Green and recognize that he is playing on a team that will struggle to put up 14 points a week. Atlanta will be blowing some teams out this year and Jones will see single coverage all year. The disparity in situation alone makes this a no brainer. Then you add the fact that a rookie QB will be throwing to one guy while a top 10 QB will be throwing to the other and the answer, from a fantasy football perspective, is obvious.

Not a chance Green out produces Jones this year.

Not a chance Green out produces Jones this year.
I don't think many are arguing against that point. I'm more concerned, and I believe majority of others are as well, with their comparisons once they've gotten their feet wet in the league a couple to a few years down the road.My previous post was in favor of Jones but I was more or less playing devils advocate with myself. Usually when I draft I can't help but select the more talented player, regardless of situation, which would be Green.

After watching both for just 1 game, I think Jones has an edge here in terms of talent. His physicality gives him a slight edge IMHO.

In terms of situation/environment, Jones obviously got more lucky and may prove to be a better fantasy WR in the near term as a result, but I don't believe it's a shoe-in...Green is going to get a lot of targets and Jones has to contend with Roddy and Gonzo for targets.
You call that "exploding"?

Play one: Uncovered drag route turned up field. Arguably the most "explosive" of the 3 touches.

Play two: Slant route and tackled immediately.

Play three: Perfectly blocked reverse.

He didn't outrun any defenders or break tackles. What was explosive about it? I thought he sort of looked like about 70% of Terrell Owens in his prime. Not a bad thing.

As for Green:

His short right in route resulted in more broken tackles and outrunning of defenders that Julio's 3 touches combined (even though it was to the sideline).

Bottom line: It is too early after one PRESEASON game to judge either. But when it comes down to it, Green is going to get about 10-11 targets consistently, while Jones will have weeks where he only sees 4-5 passes. For me, even with the much worse QB situation, Green is still the way to go both short and long term. Just watch a few Bengals practice highlights. But for the record I think they will both be top 10 WRs in about 2-3 years...
:goodposting:

Anyone who thinks Julio is better then green should get a new hobby.. Green is a stud, Julio is nice but will have Roddy, tgon to compete with... AJ will be stud 1 from the get go... esp if lhucks thinks Julio is better, then you better take green :football:
Put me on the Julio side...uh oh...I better take up knitting now. Man, do I just love people that make statements like this...whether you are right or wrong what a ridiculous comment.

:goodposting: Anyone who thinks Julio is better then green should get a new hobby.. Green is a stud, Julio is nice but will have Roddy, tgon to compete with... AJ will be stud 1 from the get go... esp if lhucks thinks Julio is better, then you better take green :football:
Who is getting Green the ball? Dalton has no business being a starting qb in the NFL this year.I would take Julio all day. Similar enough in talent, MUCH better situation.

Roddy White is going to compete with Julio Jones for targets. Who is competing with AJ Green?
I only play redrafts, so this is only for this season. The converse of your statement is that with no one competing with AJ Green for catches he willalso be double teamed on most plays. Jones, on the other hand, will almost never be double teamed because of Roddy White.

I only play redrafts, so this is only for this season. The converse of your statement is that with no one competing with AJ Green for catches he willalso be double teamed on most plays. Jones, on the other hand, will almost never be double teamed because of Roddy White.
Seems that the performance of Dalton is what will make or break Green this year. Simpson and Gresham and Shipley all appeared poised at the end of last season with Palmer. I am not classifying them as all world, but they were able to produce. If Dalton can demonstrate an ability to connect with the open receiver, then defenses are going to need to respect those three as well as Green. Add to that the fact that Cedric Benson is a proven runner, and I have a hard time understanding where people keep coming up with "Green is going to be constantly double teamed" type statements.

Guys this is dynasty quit fixating on Dalton so much. He's a rookie qb on a bad team that played one half in an extremely shortened camp. What do you expect?

Look at all the Qbs Calvin has had on a bad team. Now the Parts are in place for him to be a top wr for years to come. What if Matty ice gets Carson Palmered? That team quickly goes to crap.

Users who are viewing this thread