What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Junior Hemingway (prospect profile) (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
I and the KC homers may be the only people interested in reading a novella about Hemingway at this point, but I didn't see anything in a search so thought I'd start a thread on him and include a blog post.

I remember being sort of intrigued by this guy last year when he came out and went back to see what I thought before the 2012 draft:

Junior Hemingway: Hemingway is a probable fifth round picks with all sorts of dings -- he's on the older side, he wasn't involved much in the offense at Michigan and he's built more like a RB than a WR -- but he has tremendous size, as well as decent speed and fabulous quickness for someone that big, and produces well with the ball in his hands.

His profile is so non-standard that the comparables are all stretches, but if his dings don't turn out to be deal-killers (which is possible) his worst case is as a bigger, much better version of Jason Avant. His best case comp is as a faster Anquan Boldin. Overall I like his profile a ton, but he's also so high risk that I can't move him out of the third tier.
Now that Hemingway is getting a serious look as a role player in KC (he ran with the #1s in the Week 3 preseason game and scored a TD, then put up a line of 7/80/1 in Week 4, then made the team), I wanted to go back and update that in more detail.

The summary up there holds up pretty well despite some changes to the WR model -- Hemingway is a unique prospect. There's no one like him in the WR database -- and his projection ultimately ends up being semi-informed guesswork. Here are a few possible takes on him.

First, his relevant measurables:

NCAA Performance: +1.3 (above average -- on small sample)
Height: 72-7/8"
BMI/Size: 29.8 (Very Big)
Speed: 4.48 forty/1.54 10-split (average speed for size)
Explosion: 35.5" vert, 124 broad (average explosion)

Outside of his receiving measure, which is very good (possibly due to a limited role on a team that didn't throw much), that's not the profile of a WR -- receivers don't have BMIs in the high 29s. He's built like a tall RB -- specifically someone like Deshaun Foster or Le'Veon Bell.

However, there are a handful of other WRs that share this physical profile

• Rishard Matthews
• Niles Paul
• Josh Morgan
• Chris Harper

--Matthews is a 2nd year receiver trying to stick with the Dolphins in a backup and returner role.
--Niles Paul was converted to an undersized TE position.
--Josh Morgan is a blocking receiver who's never done a lot in terms of receiving.
--Chris Harper is a rookie.

Unfortunately these receivers are close to useless in projecting Hemingway because two of them are new to the NFL and none of them came out of college with an even average receiving metric. Hemingway should be better than they are.

Additionally, Hemingway's short-area quickness looks more like Dante Hall's than it does a guy carrying 225. His combined cone score is freakish for someone that size. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much a low score matters for tall players, or how much it matters for WRs. It's possible that kind of agility is only functionally useful for short WRs and/or RBs.

So while I'm confident saying that Hemingway should be better than the players above, I'm not at all confident what that might mean.

Adding to the uncertainty… if instead of looking only at the bad receivers who are a good match with his unique size we compare Hemingway to players who were similarly good as receivers, but whose size is only close instead of an exact match, we get:

• David Boston
• Hakeem Nicks

Both of these players came into the NFL with about average height, high BMIs (but not oversized), decent speed, average explosion and strong receiving scores.

The major differences are that both Nicks and Boston were far more accomplished collegiate wideouts than Hemingway (who caught only 66 balls his last two seasons) and both entered the league at twenty-one years old (to Hemingway’s twenty-three). The fact that Hemingway led the team in receptions and that Michigan only completed 155 passes his senior year mitigates the low catch total somewhat, but there’s no way to get around those dings – both of them typically act as downgrade a player’s prospects in the pros.

However, the David Boston comp is particularly intriguing. Since there are no WRs with both Hemingway’s size entering the league (the top group) and Hemingway’s on-field success in college (the bottom group – who are smaller than he is), the post-steroid David Boston may represent a best-case bridge between the two since he played at a BMI over 29.

The gap between “better than Josh Morgan” and “a roided up David Boston” is obviously enormous, and there’s no real way to tell where on that spectrum Hemingway may fall. There just aren’t enough good comparables in this case.

But both cases get him on the field, and given that Hemingway made the team after missing his rookie season with an injury, got some fairly high-value preseason snaps, and did a lot with his targets (18 for 11-116-2) he’s worth watching – especially given the void in the Chief’s receiving game after Dwayne Bowe. Sometimes “out of nowhere” guys truly come out of nowhere, but usually they have profiles that line up with those of good players except that they have blemishes or are unique in some way. And there’s a viable argument that he may be a good receiver – he has a lot of tools, but they’re a really unusual mix.

For what it’s worth, my gut feel here is that Hemingway won’t turn out to be most similar to either of the above sets of comparables but that he’s easily good enough to carve out a role, and possibly a large role, with the Chiefs. It’s also an informed hunch that Hemingway may turn out to be most like a bigger version of Marty Booker (who was shorter, but similarly thick and had an excellent NCAA receiving score), but that he’ll be more effective in the red zone.

Again, it’s more likely that Hemingway won’t turn into something more than a role player than it is that he will. That’s how the game works when you’re looking at dark horses like Hemingway, Marlon Brown or C.J. Anderson. But keep an eye on him. He may "come out of nowhere."

ETA: fixed his receiving score.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice post, I remember him at Michigan, but I don't remember much about him. The door should be open for him since no other receiver has really stepped up behind Bowe

I like him over Jenkins for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the WR3 before long. Devon Wylie was cut today and Chad Hall was signed so i suppose Hall could be involved, but the Chiefs already a short WR like McCluster too. From watching the games (Chiefs fan here), it looks like Hemingway will at least have his opportunity. A lot of uncertainty at WR in KC.

I hope he doesn't have a big game week 1. I have an extra roster spot in my dynasty league and waivers are closed until after week 1 now. I would like to get him on the cheap, especially since I have Dwayne Bowe

Many thanks to everyone that we got to post #5 without a TL;DR

This is a pitch black dark horse, but someone I think is interesting anyway because he has such an unusual combination of traits. He's basically a big running back playing WR, and has demonstrated strong downfield receiving ability in limited opps.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hemingway works his way to the #2 spot opposite of Bowe. McCluster in the slot. In training camp, Hemingway and Rico Richardson had hands like glue. Avery currently has the #2 spot opposite of Bowe. He is the field stretcher, but has an injury history. Hemingway isnt flashy but can move the chains.

I think if he gets an opportunity he will make the most of it. If he gets his chance, fantasy wise he probably wont be an impact. You got to figure in the passing game, #1 Bowe, #2 Charles, #3 Fasano/Kelce, #4 McCluster, then the other wideout spot. KC desperately needs someone to step up and compliment Bowe.

This is a pitch black dark horse, but someone I think is interesting anyway because he has such an unusual combination of traits. He's basically a big running back playing WR, and has demonstrated strong downfield receiving ability in limited opps.
TL DR?

TL DR?
Too long, didn't read.

Hemingway might not be a pitch black dark horse as you think. For a team that will (most likely) show a strong commitment to throwing, he's in a perfect spot w/ the options ahead of him at WR.

Physically, Hemingway is built like Boldin and is a better athlete on paper. However, unlike Boldin he was mainly a deep threat in college. Creating separation with his route running seems to be his biggest problem.

TL DR?
Too long, didn't read.

Hemingway might not be a pitch black dark horse as you think. For a team that will (most likely) show a strong commitment to throwing, he's in a perfect spot w/ the options ahead of him at WR.
The only real threat to him on the roster is Jenkins and well, he's Jenkins.

He was stuck on those awful RichRod Michigan teams, but he was a playmaker. The entire passing attack was have Denard just lob a ball 40 yards down field and let Hemingway out jump the defender and grab it. He was great in jump balls and around the endzone.

The Chiefs drafted wide receiver Jon Baldwin in the first round two years ago because he had a big body they thought would be difficult for opposing defenses to cover. They were wrong, of course, and acknowledged the error a couple of weeks ago when the Chiefs traded him to San Francisco.
But a seventh-round draft pick last season who spent his rookie year as an afterthought might be filing the void. Junior Hemingway isn’t as big as Baldwin, but at 225 pounds looked during the preseason as if he can do many of the things the Chiefs drafted Baldwin to do.

Hemingway led the Chiefs in the preseason with 11 catches and two touchdowns, both coming in the final seconds of the first half in different games. He did a lot of his work from the slot, where the Chiefs seem to think Hemingway is best suited.

“He’s got good hands and he knows how to use that big body,’’ coach Andy Reid said. “He’s 225 pounds and he knows how to use it. It’s just a matter of him getting reps and inside, he’s tough to stop. He’s a force in there with his big body.”
Not really much meat, but this is his first national media attention and the comment from Reid is interesting.

I and the KC homers may be the only people interested in reading a novella about Hemingway at this point, but I didn't see anything in a search so thought I'd start a thread on him and include a blog post.
Fwiw there is no 2013 KC thread. There is a McCluster discussion and a Any Reid discussion. Hemingway was discussed briefly in one of them, maybe the McCluster one.

I have a couple friends from the KC area who are very excited this year, so I'm just surprised there hasn't been more discussion beyond Charles & Bowe (and really just Charles).

... he’ll be more effective in the red zone.
I watched some of the KC/PIT game and I saw KC in teh Dome vs the Saints. What I noticed is that he could be very good in the end zone. The TE should be a natural fit for this offense but are Fasano and Kelce really going to do anything major this year? If not, then I think Hemingway could score some TDs. This could be the answer to who will do what after Charles and Bowe; Avery between the 20's and Hemingway in the red zone.

Avery between the 20's
I'm not buying Avery and Fasano's not a guy you're going to hang your passing game on (though IMO he's an underrated all-round TE).

So I think best case for Hemingway if he wins a starting role is more like Bowe as the #1, Avery as a nominal deep threat, and Hemingway as the 2nd target in an inside/underneath+ role (he's big enough and fast enough to threaten the seams in a way pure underneath receivers like Welker aren't). Being +50 pounds on McCluster also makes him more useful blocking in the run game.

We're still a long way from the best case, but he should have an opportunity. And if the Smith + Reid passing offense comes together someone other than Bowe should have FF value.

He was stuck on those awful RichRod Michigan teams, but he was a playmaker. The entire passing attack was have Denard just lob a ball 40 yards down field and let Hemingway out jump the defender and grab it. He was great in jump balls and around the endzone.
Exactly. Definitely the best WR prospect the past 5 years from UM. That said, this IS Alex Smith we're talking about...

zadok said:
Ilov80s said:
Exactly. Definitely the best WR prospect the past 5 years from UM. That said, this IS Alex Smith we're talking about...
He's not a speedster deep threat. He's a big body slot type IMO. Which is great for Smith.

Believe it or not, he averaged almost 20 yards per reception his last two years at Michigan.

And in looking that up I found that I'd entered a typo in his collegiate yards. His receiving measure is above average -- not elite. Adjusting it changes things enough that his upside is capped at a lower level, but he's still a decent sleeper.

whatever his measurables are, he has *could* move into the WR2 position there. Avery is a journeyman with issues. McCluster fits a profile as a slot WR3. Junior could move in there almost by sheer luck and good health. There are worse reasons to buy a lottery ticket.

zadok said:
Ilov80s said:
He's not a speedster deep threat. He's a big body slot type IMO. Which is great for Smith.
Yeah, no doubt Smith has a much better arm than Denard. I'm not sure those outside of B1G country realize how bad of a passer Denard was. He made Tebow look like second coming of Unitas. Hemingway just had a knack for getting jumpballs. He didn't get a lot of separation, but he didn't need it.

I think everything is setting up for this kid to break out. The perfect storm is brewing gentlemen. Grab him for free now, I think others may be paying for him later.

I'm in. Any chance he gets his position redesignated to TE? In doing some reading before adding I saw one site refer to him as a back up TE. :confused:

I don't know. He's had 9 targets all year. 3 last week, and only 1 each in 6 other games. He isn't a TE at only 6'1" 225. I just don't see it yet. Maybe next year.

McCluster - 69 targets, 1 TD

Avery - 63 targets, 2 TD

Hemingway - 9 targets, 2 TD

He's making plays with very limited opportunities. Could be nothing, but I'm stashing to see what happens over the last four games and early off-season. Most of the time these kinds of guys fizzle, but sometimes you get Steve Johnson.

Id love to see him turn into a Stevie Johnson....

Who 'would' you compare him to in terms of playmaking ability??

Picked Hemingway up earlier in the year, sitting on him hoping he gets a chance to do something!

The 4 year Dexter McCluster as a receiver project should have ended a long time ago. Career 8.6 yard average per catch and 4 total tds isn't going to scare an opposing defense. A weapon in the receiving game he is not.

Hemingway shows of skills during 11-on-11s

Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:11 am

By Levi Smith Special to the News-Press | 0 comments

In what may be the second to last day of practice at Missouri Western with the guaranteed contract to stay in St. Joseph drying up following this season, fans flocked to the college to get a good, last look of the players up close and personal before they’re gone for -- perhaps -- forever.

On, the field, things started sloppy. The wide receivers looked disoriented early on with WRs Dwayne Bowe, Fred Williams, Albert Wilson, and Donnie Avery dropping easy catches. However, as time went on those minor hiccups subsided.

One player who did not look out of place and has seized control of his starting role despite being out with an injury for most of camp is WR Junior Hemingway, who not only displayed his impeccable hands (which the Chiefs desperately need) but also his improved route running and deceptive speed. The stocky, bruising 6-foot-1, 225-pound slot receiver caught every ball that came his way (at one point in 11-on-11s, Alex Smith went to him four times in a row for 4 straight receptions). He also utilized a quick double move to roast the defending corner Chris Owens and grab an easy TD in team scrimmages. The Chiefs need desperately for pleasant surprises in their receiving corps, with many seeing that as one of their weak positions. Hemingway flashed last year and showed that he had some of the best hands on the team, but his overall role in the offense was limited with Dexter McCluster manning the slot receiver spot.

I'll put all the caveats up front here: It's a longshot and I'm not saying bet the house on it (you won't need to). And I'm not really even sure what I think about the guy he's so non-standard. There's literally NO ONE with his combination of massive build, quick feet and average+ metrics everywhere else. So this is as speculative as it could be.

But...

--There are some guys kind of like Hemingway who've panned out OK. Boldin, Buffalo Mike, post-roid David Boston, Marty Booker. So it's not clear that his combination of traits should be automatically ruled out.

--The field is WIDE open in Kansas City for Week 1 with Bowe suspended. And IMO there are questions about how quickly Bowe will age (he's 30 in two weeks) in any event.

--Considering how much time he missed in the pre-season in 2012/13 the coaches must see something half decent to not only keep him but plan on using him in the regular season.

Mostly though, I think this is a decent play because he's FREE on every WW and with Bowe out you'll know immediately if he's worth a hold. No targets -- drop him for a post-Sunday WW darling. But if, say, it turns out he's the most-targeted player with Bowe out and/or he has a good game you're a step ahead.

IMO absolutely worth a shot if you've got room on the end of your bench (because, say, you were holding Charles Johnson in every league). Perfect one week flier.

Users who are viewing this thread