What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just Laid Off, Beginning First Ever Job Hunt and Looking for Advice (2 Viewers)

@Quint

Never tell them salary. Just tell them you are looking for an opportunity that fits best for all and a chance to learn and grow within an organization. You are willing to discuss salary at time of an offer.
Good advice.  My canned response is something along the lines of, “I’m not too worried about compensation (of course I am). If this is a good fit for both of us, I’m sure compensation will work out accordingly.”

Good advice.  My canned response is something along the lines of, “I’m not too worried about compensation (of course I am). If this is a good fit for both of us, I’m sure compensation will work out accordingly.”
not sure I like the phrase 'not too worried about compensation'. i'd just leave that part out.

not sure I like the phrase 'not too worried about compensation'. i'd just leave that part out.
That’s fair.  Point being, you want it known that most important to you is finding the right position.  First and foremost, you want to receive an offer.  Typically the salary can be worked out reasonably from there.  Never ever state you salary demands during the interview, as there’s nothing but negative that can come from it at that stage of the process (i.e. it’s higher than employer was planning, and they eliminate you as a candidate on the spot or its less than they were planning and as a result they offer you less than they otherwise may have).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hit up on Linked In by someone regarding a role we're filling on my team. We were getting poor applicants via online listings. I relayed the individual's details to my director, and they might be getting hired. 
Hitting someone up that's connected to the available position isn't the same as sending a cold invite to a random employee then PMing them a 4 paragraph message without even knowing if they have anything to do with the position or not. 

or you know needs a job :)

if i was ready to retire its one thing.

to lay myself off and hope to find another job with the same pay quickly is another
I dunno about quickly. You essentially have more than 6 months to find something to break even. Of course, that also means the new job pays the same or more. 

I dunno about quickly. You essentially have more than 6 months to find something to break even. Of course, that also means the new job pays the same or more. 
right - well it assumes ive been there 10 years and not say 5.

I guess my point is to take advantage of the "bonus" you want to be employed sooner than later :)

Does anyone have a good resume template for engineering? I had a nice, no frills template that i liked but lost everything when my computer crashed and can't find one I like.

That’s fair.  Point being, you want it known that most important to you is finding the right position.  First and foremost, you want to receive an offer.  Typically the salary can be worked out reasonably from there.  Never ever state you salary demands during the interview, as there’s nothing but negative that can come from it at that stage of the process (i.e. it’s higher than employer was planning, and they eliminate you as a candidate on the spot or its less than they were planning and as a result they offer you less than they otherwise may have).
I agree that the best standard initial responses to the salary question should be:

• "want to find the right position"
  • "looking for an opportunity that fits best for all"
  • “looking for to be fairly compensated for the role & my experience that I bring to the table. “
Also, there are so many factors/layers to answering a question about salary demands that makes it nearly impossible to answer that question on the fly
Direct Compensation factors to consider:         Base Salary, Annual Bonus, Profit-Sharing, Benefits, or Equity
& non-compensation factors to consider:         PTO, Flexibility around work hours or working remotely

So, if pressed and you feel you need to give them an answer, do you give them just Base?

But all of the above is assuming you have already started a dialogue/interview.  I have found it can be challenging / frustrating when you are looking online.  Some of the issues I have come across:

1. You see a posting.....and even though you have been looking, you have no clue on what the salary range might be because i've seen such a wide range in my market (yes, i know you won't always know and should go ahead and post to it but my area is notoriously up to 25% below the national average)
    [I have a good friend/neighbor who is the Director of Robert Half Accounting Placement in my area & he is helping me with my search & I do appreciate that I have been able to pick his brain at times when the posting is not one of theirs.  I saw a posting in my market that wanted a High Level Controller for an Engineering/Construction firm and then listed a ton of requirements........I have this exact background and wanted to pursue it.    This was a direct posting by the company (not thru a placement agency) and so i called my friend to ask him what he knew about the company/posting.   He called them to get more info and they told him they were already in the final stages of the process (even though it was a relatively recent posting) and he found out the company was more than $35k below what i currently make.  Colossal waste of time and doesn't give you confidence for the long haul.

2. You see a posting.....and read thru it and start to get interested.....and then when you go to apply, they ask for a salary requirement with a drop down box (& no chance to ignore it)

3. You see a posting by a placement firm and it never discloses the name of the company or the general location of that company.  Yes, i know you have to be diligent and the best course of action is to call the placement firm to get more info...................... but then you find out the company is not even close to your section of town and it would involve a > 1 hr commute.   

Nemesis said:
I agree that the best standard initial responses to the salary question should be:

• "want to find the right position"
  • "looking for an opportunity that fits best for all"
  • “looking for to be fairly compensated for the role & my experience that I bring to the table. “
Also, there are so many factors/layers to answering a question about salary demands that makes it nearly impossible to answer that question on the fly
Direct Compensation factors to consider:         Base Salary, Annual Bonus, Profit-Sharing, Benefits, or Equity
& non-compensation factors to consider:         PTO, Flexibility around work hours or working remotely

So, if pressed and you feel you need to give them an answer, do you give them just Base?
i agree with the stock answers above. if pressed further, you might try:

- "I'd be happy to discuss salary in detail once an offer is made."

- "In my research about this position, I wasn't able to locate a definitive salary band in this area. If you can give me a number, I can let you know if we're in the same range."

- "The posting didn't list a salary range, and I'd prefer not to negotiate against myself. Can you give me a rough idea what this position pays?"

(but, with the last two, you allow them to pick a number an possibly low-ball you)

i'm heading into a 4th (hopefully final) interview in about three hours tonight. i expect a compensation package will be discussed, and possibly presented. if asked directly what my salary requirements are, i'm thinking about going with, "That's a challenging question to answer without knowing the entirety of the benefits offered (e.g. Do I need to pay for a portion of the healthcare package, or is the company taking care of the whole premium?). I don't feel a negotiation needs to be an adversarial circumstance, and want to approach this discussion with the goal of both of us being satisfied with the outcome. If you would be willing to give me a range of the salary band, I would be happy to give you a more specific number."

of course, every conversation is different and at the end of the day you may just have to cave and give them your number. if the hiring entity is reputable, they'll likely understand how this can be challenging for a potential candidate and make it as easy as possible.

- "In my research about this position, I wasn't able to locate a definitive salary band in this area. If you can give me a number, I can let you know if we're in the same range."

- "The posting didn't list a salary range, and I'd prefer not to negotiate against myself. Can you give me a rough idea what this position pays?"

(but, with the last two, you allow them to pick a number an possibly low-ball you)

i'm heading into a 4th (hopefully final) interview in about three hours tonight. i expect a compensation package will be discussed, and possibly presented. if asked directly what my salary requirements are, i'm thinking about going with, "That's a challenging question to answer without knowing the entirety of the benefits offered (e.g. Do I need to pay for a portion of the healthcare package, or is the company taking care of the whole premium?). I don't feel a negotiation needs to be an adversarial circumstance, and want to approach this discussion with the goal of both of us being satisfied with the outcome. If you would be willing to give me a range of the salary band, I would be happy to give you a more specific number."

of course, every conversation is different and at the end of the day you may just have to cave and give them your number. if the hiring entity is reputable, they'll likely understand how this can be challenging for a potential candidate and make it as easy as possible.
@Quint Good luck with it.  Please let us know how it goes. 
"People won't care how much you know…....until they know how much you care."  -T.Roosevelt

Good luck, gb

update:

after five interviews i was presented with an offer, accepted the next day, and began the on-boarding process at an amazing winery on 2/4/20. haven't been happier, and excited to go into work, in many years. it's a great opportunity to take my existing skill-set and apply it in a leadership role. 

feel free to hit me w/ a PM if you're planning to visit Sonoma Valley and are interested in a world-class tour/tasting experience.

best wishes for everyone who still out there looking....happy to offer advice or be a sounding-board.

drink well!

update:

after five interviews i was presented with an offer, accepted the next day, and began the on-boarding process at an amazing winery on 2/4/20. haven't been happier, and excited to go into work, in many years. it's a great opportunity to take my existing skill-set and apply it in a leadership role. 

feel free to hit me w/ a PM if you're planning to visit Sonoma Valley and are interested in a world-class tour/tasting experience.

best wishes for everyone who still out there looking....happy to offer advice or be a sounding-board.

drink well!
Congrats! I think you’ll have lots of FBGs take you up on that

This seems like a good place to post this.

If you are a software/aerospace engineer in Phoenix or Huntsville and are looking for a job, PM me. We have a few openings and are always looking for good folks.

Good luck to everyone who is searching.

Users who are viewing this thread