What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ka'Deem Carey, RB (CHI) (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chicago considers fourth-round RB Ka'Deem Carey the favorite to open the season as Matt Forte's direct backup.

Michael Ford is Carey's competition. Ford is a more of a scat back, while Carey is a strong inside between-the-tackles runner with soft hands as a receiver out of the backfield. Neither player will have much fantasy value unless Forte goes down with an injury. Only then would Carey be in line for a monster workload.

Related: Michael Ford

Source: ESPN Chicago

Jun 24 - 9:23 AM
Ford at 210 lbs. is a scat back and Carey at 207 is a strong inside runner?

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chicago considers fourth-round RB Ka'Deem Carey the favorite to open the season as Matt Forte's direct backup.

Michael Ford is Carey's competition. Ford is a more of a scat back, while Carey is a strong inside between-the-tackles runner with soft hands as a receiver out of the backfield. Neither player will have much fantasy value unless Forte goes down with an injury. Only then would Carey be in line for a monster workload.

They're comparing running styles and past college usage. Ford ran a lot to the edge and isn't has good as Carey between the tackles.

Carey has the skillset to be an every down back. He might not have the talent, and he doesn't immediately have the opportunity. But trestman likes him, and I like the trestman offense, so I see him as a high value lottery ticket. If he becomes a feature back in that offense next year or two years from now, he could be elite.

In dynasty he's undervalued, imo. Its legitimately possible that his game doesn't translate to the nfl, or that the bears draft a better player and he never even gets a shot. But you're paying such a low price for the upside, that the risk is well worth it. You don't get many shots at potentially elite guys 30 picks into a dynasty draft.

In redraft, he's also undervalued. Forte isn't a big injury risk, but carey would be a do everything back in a very good offense if he went down. Again, this isn't a guy worth drafting as one of the top backups off the board, but if you can get him late, he's a guy you could end up riding to a title by the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just snagged him at 3.11 in a rookie draft. Was the 10th RB taken off the board.
Geez, that's like stealing to me. I took him at like RB5 in one league and as late as the 7th on another. I'm a big fan of Carey's game, he reminds me a lot of Foster when I was him run. Not elite speed but elite vision and patience. The league I snagged him at 5 is a deep 16 team 45 man roster league where I own Forte and really wanted to handcuff him.

Rotoworld:

:yes: Small and slow and is a strong inside between the tackles runner...? maybe in college, but I would have to see that in the NFL to believe. will be holding onto Ford.

Rotoworld:

:yes: Small and slow and is a strong inside between the tackles runner...? maybe in college, but I would have to see that in the NFL to believe. will be holding onto Ford.
Ford is a mediocre talent at best. Carey is a Arian Foster clone. Great vision, good body control, good agility but not game breaking speed.

Rotoworld:

Ford is a mediocre talent at best. Carey is a Arian Foster clone. Great vision, good body control, good agility but not game breaking speed.
Not according to nfl.com

Carey - 5' 9" - 207lbs

Foster - 6' 1" - 227 lbs

Rotoworld:

Not according to nfl.comCarey - 5' 9" - 207lbs

Foster - 6' 1" - 227 lbs
That's essentially the exact same BMI. Which is more what I look at than actual height and weight exacts.

I got him at 4.07 rookie (14 teams, IDP), the 9th RB off the board.

1. Sankey

2. West

3. Hyde

4. Freeman

5. Mason

6. Storm Johnson

7. Hill

8. Crowell

I took Carey, then Sims, Andre Williams and Seastrunk went immediately afterward.

Wow surprised to see him going so late. He went in the 2nd or 3rd in all that I've been a part of. Haven't landed him yet because of it. I'll most likely take him at 2.11 if he's still available at the only draft I have left.

Wow surprised to see him going so late. He went in the 2nd or 3rd in all that I've been a part of. Haven't landed him yet because of it. I'll most likely take him at 2.11 if he's still available at the only draft I have left.
Same, maybe I'm going crazy but in all my leagues he's gone off the board right after Sankey, Hyde, Mason, Freeman, Hill as about the 6th back. In one league we had a huge run of RBs and I took him early 2nd in a 14 team league. I don't get Storm Johnson and Crowell going ahead of him though, that's simply insanity to me.

Same, maybe I'm going crazy but in all my leagues he's gone off the board right after Sankey, Hyde, Mason, Freeman, Hill as about the 6th back. In one league we had a huge run of RBs and I took him early 2nd in a 14 team league. I don't get Storm Johnson and Crowell going ahead of him though, that's simply insanity to me.
Good post. That's about where I have him, homerism aside. You can definitely make a case for those guys you mentioned, even West if you are buying the running with first team stuff. Crowell and Storm Johnson? Not so much. I'm happy about it though :)

Good post. That's about where I have him, homerism aside. You can definitely make a case for those guys you mentioned, even West if you are buying the running with first team stuff. Crowell and Storm Johnson? Not so much. I'm happy about it though :)
Yeah, I mean when I watch him on tape he looks amazing. His speed (similar to Foster as I said above) isn't as huge of an issue cause he has a fast first step like Foster. And I'm not sure how you guys like your RBs. But I'll happily take a guy who is getting 4 yards on every run and randomly breaking off a couple for 10-20 yards a game. I don't need a home run hitter at the position. If Forte goes down I think Carey could easily still put up tons of numbers. Probably not that elite RB1 status that Forte holds when healthy but he might flirt with low end RB1 numbers in his stead.

Yeah, I mean when I watch him on tape he looks amazing. His speed (similar to Foster as I said above) isn't as huge of an issue cause he has a fast first step like Foster. And I'm not sure how you guys like your RBs. But I'll happily take a guy who is getting 4 yards on every run and randomly breaking off a couple for 10-20 yards a game. I don't need a home run hitter at the position. If Forte goes down I think Carey could easily still put up tons of numbers. Probably not that elite RB1 status that Forte holds when healthy but he might flirt with low end RB1 numbers in his stead.
Not sure about Storm, but this is why I can see Crowell going before Carey. Obviously a much riskier pick, but the elite upside Crowell possesses is attractive enough to take him over Carey. I think most people view Crowell as this huge lotto ticket and Carey as a good-not-great talent in a rather below average RB class. Forte has 2(?) years left on his deal, so its not like Carey has a clear cut path to the starter role. As a 4th round pick, Chicago is not majorly invested in him, so who's to say they don't take another RB in the next two drafts if a better one comes along? I like Carey, but I have no problem with taking Crowell before him.

Just snagged him at 3.11 in a rookie draft. Was the 10th RB taken off the board.
Geez, that's like stealing to me. I took him at like RB5 in one league and as late as the 7th on another. I'm a big fan of Carey's game, he reminds me a lot of Foster when I was him run. Not elite speed but elite vision and patience. The league I snagged him at 5 is a deep 16 team 45 man roster league where I own Forte and really wanted to handcuff him.
Our draft went:

1.01 - Sankey - I owned this pick and the guy at 1.2 traded me 1.2 + 2.8 to move up and grab Sankey. We're all from Nashville and his team name is Go Titans!

1.06 - Hyde - My Pick

1.11 - Freeman

2.07 - Mason

2.10 - Storm Johnson

3.01 - Terrance West

3.02 - Jeremy Hill

3.04 - Isaiah Crowell - Same guy who took West, traded up to 3.04 to take Crowell (also owns Tate)

3.08 - Andrew Williams

3.11 - Carey - My Pick

4.01 - Seastrunk

etc

Our draft went:

1.01 - Sankey - I owned this pick and the guy at 1.2 traded me 1.2 + 2.8 to move up and grab Sankey. We're all from Nashville and his team name is Go Titans!

1.06 - Hyde - My Pick

1.11 - Freeman

2.07 - Mason

2.10 - Storm Johnson

3.01 - Terrance West

3.02 - Jeremy Hill

3.04 - Isaiah Crowell - Same guy who took West, traded up to 3.04 to take Crowell (also owns Tate)

3.08 - Andrew Williams

3.11 - Carey - My Pick

4.01 - Seastrunk

etc
Jesus...this guy has 3 roster spots locked up for one position?

Our draft went:

1.06 - Hyde - My Pick

1.11 - Freeman

2.07 - Mason

2.10 - Storm Johnson

3.01 - Terrance West

3.02 - Jeremy Hill

3.08 - Andrew Williams

3.11 - Carey - My Pick

4.01 - Seastrunk

etc
Well he did, until he just did this trade 20 minutes ago:

Ben Tate

for

Djax

Our draft went:

1.06 - Hyde - My Pick

1.11 - Freeman

2.07 - Mason

2.10 - Storm Johnson

3.01 - Terrance West

3.02 - Jeremy Hill

3.08 - Andrew Williams

3.11 - Carey - My Pick

4.01 - Seastrunk

etc
Well he did, until he just did this trade 20 minutes ago:

Ben Tate

for

Djax
Man... I feel like the DJax owner is losing pretty big there. Does the guy just not have a starting RB but a bunch of depth at WR?

Man... I feel like the DJax owner is losing pretty big there. Does the guy just not have a starting RB but a bunch of depth at WR?
Not to derail the thread too much. WRS: Randall Cobb, Eric Decker, Julian Edelman, TY Hilton, Torrey Smith.

RBS: Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Andre Williams, Bryce Brown

Start 2rb / 3wr

Rotoworld:

Rookie Ka'Deem Carey is listed as the No. 4 tailback on the Bears' first unofficial depth chart.
He's behind Shaun Draughn and Michael Ford. It's possible this depth chart was largely put together on the basis of experience in the NFL, and isn't an indication of Carey's progress. He's reportedly shown well in pass protection so far in camp, and remains the favorite to open the year as Matt Forte's backup.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Enter Pierre Thomas! I think Carey is just a marginal talent, but I do believe he would beat out Ford if it came to that.

He looked pretty good tonight. He's got a nose for the end zone!

2nd most TDs for a RB in FBS history - behind Montee Ball...

Doubters are gonna eat crow, this guy is a stud.
Bull crap....I'm as die hard Bear Fan as you can get. Objectively...the guy is a slow plodder. All his runs [except 2] were 1 yard and 2 yard flops. The other 2 runs were 11 and 12 yards. His yards per carry for 2 preseason games is barely over 2 yards/carry....AND YOU CALL HIM A STUD? Trust me....this guy is no fantasy gem that you hope him to be.

I don't own Carey, and I didn't particularly like the tape and certainly didn't like his measurables. Just clarifying how 2.8 YPC against the scrubs last night is supposed to suggest we're all going to eat crow for not jumping on the Carey bandwagon?

For what it's worth, Carey was never going to be a speed guy. But as he gets better, he should be better at reading his blocks and finding yards. Here is what Waldman said pre draft http://mattwaldmanrsp.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/kadeem-carey-ii.jpg
Yeah Waldman loved him. I think Carey has some talent... and the handcuff here certainly isn't Michael Ford unless he got hurt last night. Ford didn't see a single carry... he returned one kick. Looks like he could lose his roster spot here.

That said, there just might be a certain minimum standard bar a RB needs to hit athletically to have success in the NFL, and I'm not sure Carey hits it.

Might be, but there does seem to be a bit of a learning curve for guys like this and if his natural physical talent isn't going to get him there alone, then he may need a few weeks to develop the skills. I think he has the ability but it remains to be seen whether he can translate it to the NFL. Right now I'd say good news is that he had a couple longer runs and got a touchdown, so there's some stuff to work with, but the bad news is his running isn't consistently good enough yet for any kind of workload.

For what it's worth, Carey was never going to be a speed guy. But as he gets better, he should be better at reading his blocks and finding yards. Here is what Waldman said pre draft http://mattwaldmanrsp.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/kadeem-carey-ii.jpg
Yeah Waldman loved him. I think Carey has some talent... and the handcuff here certainly isn't Michael Ford unless he got hurt last night. Ford didn't see a single carry... he returned one kick. Looks like he could lose his roster spot here.

That said, there just might be a certain minimum standard bar a RB needs to hit athletically to have success in the NFL, and I'm not sure Carey hits it.
Ford will lose his roster spot because of Senorise Perry.

So, this guy has looked some kind of awful. What are dynasty owners doing? Feel like he's going to go down as a wasted pick.

Bucky86 said:
So, this guy has looked some kind of awful. What are dynasty owners doing? Feel like he's going to go down as a wasted pick.
Holding, but only because I'm a Forte owner.

Bucky86 said:
Holding, but only because I'm a Forte owner.
Yeah, I have him in two leagues and I'm not a Forte owner. Was hoping he would show well and I could trade him. Really thinking of dumping him.

Rotoworld:

Ka'Deem Carey - RB - Bears

Ka'Deem Carey was elevated to the No. 2 running back on the Bears' depth chart.

Coach Marc Trestman also confirmed Wednesday that Carey is indeed Matt Forte's direct backup. Veteran Shaun Draughn emerged from the preseason as the favorite for No. 2 duties, but the Bears have apparently seem an improved Carey in practice. The fourth-round rookie was one of the least impressive running backs during exhibition play, averaging 2.7 YPC on 27 attempts and breaking just two tackles. Pro Football Focus graded him out as their 110th back out of 128 qualifiers. We'd expect a committee approach should Forte get hurt.

Related: Shaun Draughn

Source: chicagobears.com Sep 3 - 3:57 PM

Rotoworld:

Ka'Deem Carey - RB - Bears

Ka'Deem Carey was elevated to the No. 2 running back on the Bears' depth chart.

Coach Marc Trestman also confirmed Wednesday that Carey is indeed Matt Forte's direct backup. Veteran Shaun Draughn emerged from the preseason as the favorite for No. 2 duties, but the Bears have apparently seem an improved Carey in practice. The fourth-round rookie was one of the least impressive running backs during exhibition play, averaging 2.7 YPC on 27 attempts and breaking just two tackles. Pro Football Focus graded him out as their 110th back out of 128 qualifiers. We'd expect a committee approach should Forte get hurt.

Related: Shaun Draughn

Source: chicagobears.com Sep 3 - 3:57 PM
I like that the note just below that one on Rotoworld says that Ka'Deem Carey might not even dress for game days this year. Rotoworld has its collective finger on the pulse of the Bears, for sure.

Is Ka’Deem Carey the best handcuff still likely available? Averaging almost 5 yards per and 0 competition for the backup job

Others ...

Christine Michael - has Turbin to compete with

Polk - has Sproles

Randle - Should be taken already

The nice thing about Carey is that the bears are TERRIBLE. If forte gets knicked at all, he isn't playing and they will just sit him and ride Carey to the finish line. Guys like Mccoy, Lynch, Murray, Lacy are gonna be rushed back because of the tight playoff race.

Other handcuffs on crap teams...

Blue- not as much upside at Carey

Chris Johnson-- they're moving it better and ivory is fragile

Not many others that aren't a part of a handcuff or a god awful rushing offense

Haven't heard any news regarding this guy. With Forte out this week and possibly more, is he worth a speculative add?

Haven't heard any news regarding this guy. With Forte out this week and possibly more, is he worth a speculative add?
Only as a flier in super, super deep leagues or dynasty. The most interesting thing about Carey is that the Bears have kept him on the 53-man roster despite the fact that he doesn't play special teams at all. But it's Langford's show as long as Forte is out, and that might not even be that long.

Users who are viewing this thread