What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kaepernick - One of the Worst QB Performances I've Ever Seen (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Just finished watching the game and I cannot believe what I saw - Kaepernick looked like a high school QB out there today. He was totally lost and didn't have the basics of setting his feet to throw.

It wasn't just the 4 INT's, it was how he did it - before the meaningless final drive he was 5/11 for 35 yards with 4 INT's. That means until the last drive he completed almost as many passes (5) to his own team as he did to the opposing team (4).

He ended with a 16.7 QB rating, but it was even lower before the final drive.

Here are the type of QB's his day compared to.

:X :

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching a post game interview of one of the AZ DB's. The question was basically how were they able to defend against the pass so well. He pointed out that the Niners passing game has been simplified to the point where it doesn't take much preparation and effort to defend against. A very telling comment as to Kaepernick's abilities. Don't remember the DB's name but his nickname is "Honey Badger". Other than when Kaepernick ran, he looked pathetic. He must suffer from severe downfield tunnel vision or someting judging by some of the passes he threw.

A performance befitting the QB that Kaepernick is, or more accurately, is not. Making an NFL QB out of a great athlete with a cannon for an arm is a hell of lot easier dreamed than done...but that doesn't seem to stop HCs and GMs from continuing to try and fail over and over and over again.

A performance befitting the QB that Kaepernick is, or more accurately, is not. Making an NFL QB out of a great athlete with a cannon for an arm is a hell of lot easier dreamed than done...but that doesn't seem to stop HCs and GMs from continuing to try and fail over and over and over again.
This

49ers would have been better off not calling a single pass play in that game. Just nothing but designed runs and read option. That was amazing, Kaep scored more points for the Cardinals than he did the 49ers.

I kind of amazed they did not put Gabbert in after INT 4. See if he can handle the pressure. Tomsula talked him up pretty good in the off-season. Why not give him a chance to see if he could have done better which could not have been too hard.

I kind of amazed they did not put Gabbert in after INT 4. See if he can handle the pressure. Tomsula talked him up pretty good in the off-season. Why not give him a chance to see if he could have done better which could not have been too hard.
As much as I don't like Keap, Gabbert is not the answer... He is never the answer.

I said the same thing to my wife when we were watching the game (about being a HS qb). the 4th int when he had about 5 seconds, he scrambles around, had the opportunity and time to put his feet beneath him and hit an open wr and he just didn't get the height/velocity on the ball and just threw it right to the DB. Was just awful.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Quasimoto said:
This
Definitely this.

never understood why SF went away from using Kaep's running ability. It is his best attribute by FAR.
probably because they realized if they wanted to take the next step with their team that you need to be able to throw the ball as well.

Same problem that RGIII has......can't read the defense.
How come these guys didn't have this defense-reading issues as rookies? Or rather: why did not reading defenses not hurt them in 2012? They were less experienced then, weren't they?

The decline of the 2012 read-option guys has been mystifying to me. Defenses being able to tee off on the QB after a read-option pitch makes THAT much difference? So ... if these read-option QBs were instead protected by rule after a pitch ... they'd still be tearing up the league?

never understood why SF went away from using Kaep's running ability. It is his best attribute by FAR.
probably because they realized if they wanted to take the next step with their team that you need to be able to throw the ball as well.
I agree with that, but the answer is not to eliminate the threat of Kaep running the ball. I recall they made a Superbowl on a stout defense and his legs.

I agree with that, but the answer is not to eliminate the threat of Kaep running the ball. I recall they made a Superbowl on a stout defense and his legs.
Not only that, but Kaepernick's passing stats were better in 2012 than in 2013-15. His INT%, TD%, yards per attempt, and Passer Rating have all dropped every year since 2012. How does that happen?

Same problem that RGIII has......can't read the defense.
How come these guys didn't have this defense-reading issues as rookies? Or rather: why did not reading defenses not hurt them in 2012? They were less experienced then, weren't they?

The decline of the 2012 read-option guys has been mystifying to me. Defenses being able to tee off on the QB after a read-option pitch makes THAT much difference? So ... if these read-option QBs were instead protected by rule after a pitch ... they'd still be tearing up the league?
It is called adjustments. The league's DCs have the book on Kaep and know how to crush him. Kaep's pure athleticism is not enough anymore.

Strange I remember taking a ton of crap for saying he was a half field reader.
He wasn't even reading half the field yesterday. I've seen good and bad games from him but he looked like he had never played QB before.

Cards coaches were instructing the team on the sideline during the game to "keep him in the pocket, he'll throw it right to you". Really the only time they moved the ball was when he got outside the pocket and scrambled for some yards to extend drives (and score their lone TD)

Not only that, but Kaepernick's passing stats were better in 2012 than in 2013-15. His INT%, TD%, yards per attempt, and Passer Rating have all dropped every year since 2012. How does that happen?
Instead of pushing him to improve as a passer they made the playbook easier and easier for him, to the point now that it's a complete joke (I'm talking Scott Frost-era Nebraska).

cstu said:
Just finished watching the game and I cannot believe what I saw - Kaepernick looked like a high school QB out there today. He was totally lost and didn't have the basics of setting his feet to throw.

It wasn't just the 4 INT's, it was how he did it - before the meaningless final drive he was 5/11 for 35 yards with 4 INT's. That means until the last drive he completed almost as many passes (5) to his own team as he did to the opposing team (4).

He ended with a 16.7 QB rating, but it was even lower before the final drive.

Here are the type of QB's his day compared to.

:X :
Lol, 3 of those 10 worst QB's have started for the Bears.

It is called adjustments. The league's DCs have the book on Kaep and know how to crush him. Kaep's pure athleticism is not enough anymore.
Yeah, but that should've kicked in even during the 2012 season, no? After a game or three?

Guy has a massive ego and doesn't want to practice fundamentals because practice is beneath him. Thinks he's the best there ever was and all his mistakes are other people's fault.
If this is true ... this would be the kind of common-sense thing that would kill a career more than "they've got the book on him now!".

The early acclaim, Beats commercial, Jaworski's pronouncement, etc. certainly couldn't have helped.

Guy has a massive ego and doesn't want to practice fundamentals because practice is beneath him. Thinks he's the best there ever was and all his mistakes are other people's fault.
If this is true ... this would be the kind of common-sense thing that would kill a career more than "they've got the book on him now!".

The early acclaim, Beats commercial, Jaworski's pronouncement, etc. certainly couldn't have helped.
The straight brimmed cap, the Beats headphones around his neck all the time, the hoodies he wears instead of trying to look like a professional.....all signs that he's more worried about having street cred than being a professional, successful NFL quarterback. Would love to see a Warren Moon or someone mentor him. He has the talent, and from what I understand, he's very intelligent. Just doesn't seem to have his priorities straight. Almost like he doesn't take it seriously enough.

The straight brimmed cap, the Beats headphones around his neck all the time, the hoodies he wears instead of trying to look like a professional.....all signs that he's more worried about having street cred than being a professional, successful NFL quarterback.
:lmao: My eyes are melting after reading this hot take!

Sorry, guys, can't study the playbook right now. I have to make sure my hat brim is straight and this pretty much takes me all day.

Once a thug, always a thug.
Only a bigoted moron could make a post this bad. Congratulations!

Posts 1-22 were spot on.

The straight brimmed cap, the Beats headphones around his neck all the time, the hoodies he wears instead of trying to look like a professional.....all signs that he's more worried about having street cred than being a professional, successful NFL quarterback.
:lmao: My eyes are melting after reading this hot take!
Manziel is the same way. At some point, you grow up and take the job seriously and stop trying to be the coolest dude in the room. This guy gets worse and worse.

They might just suck, despite their choice of attire. If they spent all day getting fit for tailored suits so they look like a "professional," they wouldn't suddenly stop sucking.

I couldn't progress through my reads until I removed my Beats. Now I can pick apart defenses pre-snap like a magician!

Someone should sit this guy down and explain that the hat-wearing road he is on can only lead to ruin. Do you want to wear a suit or do you want to be stuck in a dead end hat the rest of your life?

I wasn't sure he'd be a success in the NFL until I saw him fill out a nice suit. Once that happened, I knew we had someone special. That man's name? Heath Shuler.

They might just suck, despite their choice of attire. If they spent all day getting fit for tailored suits so they look like a "professional," they wouldn't suddenly stop sucking.
Kaep doesn't suck because he wears Beats and a straight brim. If you put those things on Brady, he's not going to suddenly start sucking. It's more about an attitude. A way he carries himself. Trying to look like a 17 year-old kid on the streets. It's a maturity issue. And like I said, Manziel is the same way.

Even though WalkingBoot did use the word "thug" ... I took his and Junior's take to be more about failure to earnestly practice the craft of being a successful professional athlete. Not merely wearing the wrong clothes or something.

To extend the point a bit: getting caught up in the trappings of being a successful professional athlete and not quite fully committing to doing what it takes to stay a successful professional athlete.

well, I think he's officially earned the nickname kraepernick...
I prefer Colin Sackorpick myself...

Ps. In the one league I have him as a backup, I am dropping him for Tyrod Taylor or Andy Dalton depending which is still there when waiver 7 goes through lol

As a Niner fan, I've been knocking this guy for a little while, he just sucks...

They'd have more success lining up in a Wishbone running the triple option, or they can spread it out with a read option. Guy can't run a pro-style offense.

The good news for Niner fans is the implosion of this season will bring a lot of house cleaning, hopefully Baalke is first to go. I just don't know how they get the owner out though :kicksrock:

I'd happily take 3-45 over the next 3 seasons to clean both York and Baalke out.

The straight brimmed cap, the Beats headphones around his neck all the time, the hoodies he wears instead of trying to look like a professional.....all signs that he's more worried about having street cred than being a professional, successful NFL quarterback. Would love to see a Warren Moon or someone mentor him. He has the talent, and from what I understand, he's very intelligent. Just doesn't seem to have his priorities straight. Almost like he doesn't take it seriously enough.
Wasn't Kurt Warner working with him in the offseason, or was that a different QB that Warner was working with?

It's the tattoos and straight bill hat that's the problem with his game. The hat is easy to remedy but the tattoos aren't.

You guys are awesome.

When people see Kaepernick dress and act the way he does, they see a lack of commitment, sacrifice, dedication, and drive to work himself into rising up the QB ladder. They see this as contrary to the way the elite QBs act and behave, which has allowed them to reach elite level.

Then they see Kaepernick have a performance like he did yesterday, and they respond. Not sure why that is so difficult to comprehend. Always highly predictable to see the race card played to defend.

You guys are awesome.

When people see Kaepernick dress and act the way he does, they see a lack of commitment, sacrifice, dedication, and drive to work himself into rising up the QB ladder. They see this as contrary to the way the elite QBs act and behave, which has allowed them to reach elite level.

Then they see Kaepernick have a performance like he did yesterday, and they respond. Not sure why that is so difficult to comprehend. Always highly predictable to see the race card played to defend.
Except Rodgers looked like a less well groomed Jeff Spicoli during the Favre drama, which he nevertheless handled perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread