What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Karaoke thread (1 Viewer)

Soul Man

Even better if you can find a true karaoke DJ that has a tambourine among his props and instruments.

Strokin, Clarence Carter

you’re encouraged to make eye contact / point / wink at one or two random ladies in the audience during the song

I tried Biz Markie's Just a Friend once.  A lot more difficult to sing than I had imagined.

My wife and I do duets, probably the best of which are Love the Way You Lie, Somebody That I Used to Know, and Cheap Thrills

I did Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys at a work event and it was the best Karaoke reaction I've experienced.

Another good one was Fancy Like.  That goes over well.

I just got a Karoke system for Christmas.  Its basically like a party speaker with 2 mic inputs.  I got it through Rockville Audio

Rockville - Rock Party 6

I got it with 2 wired mics and it was relatively affordable.  I've done a lot of research on Karaoke machines... and even had one that connected through my TV that sounded really good but was difficult to hook up so I returned it.  If I end up using this machine a lot I think I'll upgrade to wireless mics next Christmas.

It's been awhile but I've rocked Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the Name Of many times.

That and De La Soul's Me, Myself and I would be my go-to's.

I did Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys at a work event and it was the best Karaoke reaction I've experienced.

Another good one was Fancy Like.  That goes over well.

I just got a Karoke system for Christmas.  Its basically like a party speaker with 2 mic inputs.  I got it through Rockville Audio

Rockville - Rock Party 6

I got it with 2 wired mics and it was relatively affordable.  I've done a lot of research on Karaoke machines... and even had one that connected through my TV that sounded really good but was difficult to hook up so I returned it.  If I end up using this machine a lot I think I'll upgrade to wireless mics next Christmas.
What do you do for the karaoke music / video? 

What do you do for the karaoke music / video? 
I keep the karaoke singing and the music / video completely separate.  Singing comes through the party speaker and mic.

Karaoke comes through my TV.  I open up the Youtube app on my TV and play it though the sound system my TV is hooked up to, a soundbar and sub.  Sometimes it takes time to get the right volume mix, but it is a lot simpler.

The first system I got I had to hook up HDMI from the TV to my karaoke mixer.  The HDMI had to be one of those ARC type HDMI's.  Then I had to run optical from the Karaoke mixer to my soundbar.  It was also wireless which was cool, but required 2 AA batteries.  I ended up returning it because I use the HDMI ARC in my TV for my soundbar.  So I would have to unplug HDMI for my soundbar, hook up HDMI ARC to Karaoke mixer, then run optical to my soundbar.  And hooking up optical with nearly 50 year old eyesight in low light is not easy.

I like the party speaker and mic set up because I can grab it and take it anywhere that someone has youtube on their TV.  The other good thing is the party speaker has bluetooth and an aux line in.  So you could hook up your iphone to the partyspeaker by bluetooth.  Then you could take a mic in one hand and hold your phone in another hand and read Karaoke lyrics on the phone while you sing and both music and mics would play through the speaker.  You could also do something similar where you connect a laptop through the aux in on the speaker, read lyrics on the laptop and use the mic input.

If you go to youtube and search (insert name of song) "karaoke" there is a ton out there for free.  Unless you are doing something obscure you will probably find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not bad with Tom Petty and can pull off some country if I dig out my native accent, but I'm pretty limited.  One thing you learn in a hurry - singing is HARD.  The folks that do it for a living are professionals for a reason.  I can throw a baseball, but I can't pitch.  I can belt out a song, but I can't really sing.

Oh, and my daughter (9) and I like to sing Taylor Swift songs.  Her song with Bon Iver (Exile) is our favorite to sing together.  My neighbor turned his garage into a cantina and has a kick-butt karoke set up with 3 mics.  It's a blast!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done Elvis' American Trilogy once or twice, and Run DMC's "You Be Illin'" can be done over literally any song. Which is a great time, believe me. ;)

I have a pretty good set up at home, as do three couples that Mrs. Punk and I hang with, so we do karaoke at least once a month. I pretty much do everything after years of this. Last night we did about an hour of Beatles, another hour of classic rock and then started on the hair metal to end the night. Last two songs were Bullet Boys. The screamo parts of Smooth up in Ya did me in for the evening.

Lou Rawls' "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" is a good tempo and fits inside my vocal range. I don't have Lou's pipes but who does.

bigbottom said:
Tomorrow I’m doing Live Band Karaoke!
Zilla used to have YouTube videos of me (Brick House) and @fatguyinalittlecoat (Stand By Your Man) doing live band karaoke at a BBQ restaurant in DC.  I remember it vividly because after I finished my very drunken performance, the recruiting coordinator at my firm can up to me.  Luckily, I had already been asked to leave that firm.

I will never karaoke or enjoy it.  Take 10 cats being murdered by a 90 year old woman and that's what I sound like and I have rhythm with singing. Which is weird because I'm actually a pretty good dancer.  Envious of people that can do it even mediocrely :)

I’ve told this story a million times but I did “Insane in the Membrane” at my high school reunion and didn’t realize until the song started that I was going to need to sing the N word a whole bunch of times to a large diverse crowd of people, a lot of whom I didn’t know.  It was a panicked moment.
Working without a net.

My best song is LL Cool J Im Bad, followed by just about anything 2 Pac did. How do you want it and 21 gun salute are pretty fast/difficult.

Used to do Pearl Jam's Black or Even Flow with my college buddies circa 2000-2002 on our weekly Karaoke night and would venture into stuff like Brown Eyed Girl, Landslide or Under the Bridge from time to time.

I've always wanted to do Possum Kingdom by the Toadies, but it was never available at the place we used to go (had a limited selection back then). Would also love to give Let it Die by the Foo Fighters a try.

My mom's side of the family could really sing and I inherited the genes, just never did anything with it seriously. Karaoke was the only time I ever really sang outside of church.

I don't want to actually sing and suck at it so I usually go with old school rap, I've probably done "Bust a Move" the most.
I did "You Lost That Loving Feeling" (in Top Gun fashion) (in a tux) to my wife the night we got engaged on a cruise in the Caribbean.
There are a few songs I'd like to do but they have long interludes which are a momentum killer, "My Sharona" for instance.
Thinking of trying some Violent Femmes or Biz Markie "Just a Friend" and leaning into the "bad" singing.

In the mid-aughts, I regularly attended the weekly karaoke night at the local watering hole. The gal who ran it always ended the evening by selecting one unsuspecting patron to come up on stage and sing this song as a duet with her. It was the perfect song at the end of a rousing night of karaoke.

Users who are viewing this thread