What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kellen Winslow Jr (1 Viewer)

huckyoda

Footballguy
Searching for Winslow news here and nothing is coming up. This is really curious - the guy is a top tier TE, probably the only one who can challenge Gates at #1 this year, and he is being drafted at a huge discount because of injury concerns. If those concerns are legitimate, where is the injury news & updates? If he is on track to be fully healthy when the season starts, he has to be the biggest value pick in the league. So, which is it? Is it health concerns (if so, whats the current status bc from what I read he is on track) or is he just being overlooked?

Yah he's probably a high risk / high reward type. It goes beyond his injury. The QB situation is very unstable. If the club gets off to a bad start, Crennel may get fired, and then there's the possibility the interim head coach mixes things up and changes the offense.

Didn't he have microfracture surgery. Knees that are constantly sore.
Yes. Winslow will play in pain for the rest of his career. There is no cartilage in one knee so its bone on bone. Microfracture surgery is an attempt to create some faux cartilage by internal bleeding, but this is usually short-term at best. This will affect his performance. There's also the risk of him overcompensating for the knee and injuring another body part.

Last edited by a moderator:
"O-VER RA-TED" clap, clap, clapclapclap

#uck the Soldjah. Pass on that.

:confused:

Lots of upside. Lots of risk.
I dont get the risk. I doubt he will have another motorcycle crash. What other risks are there?
The risk of coming back from microfracture surgery. Although it's becoming more common and accepted, a lot of guys who've had it couldn't really continue their careers. Some have come back fine. Either way, it's a lot more serious than a scope for torn cartilage. Here's an excerpt from a KFFL article:"Microfracture Surgery in SportsMany well-known NFL players have undergone microfracture surgery. Not only do Tony Brackens, Courtney Brown, Stephen Davis, Terrell Davis, DeShaun Foster, Jeremy Newberry and Andre Wadsworth have the procedure in common, but they also are often remembering for knee injuries hampering or ending their careers. Former Seattle Seahawks defensive lineman Lamar King's career was entirely derailed from the surgery.In the NBA, Chris Webber reportedly stated that a four-month recovery time is "impossible" and that it took him at least a few years to feel "like himself" again. Amare Stoudemire underwent microfracture surgery in October 2005, and after trying to return in March 2006 he began feeling stiffness in both knees before being forced to sit out until the 2006-07 season. He only played 56 games before being shut down for the year with cleanup surgery on the same knee."Here's another excerpt from Len Pasquarelli's column on ESPN (talking about the same surgery for Seahawk Marcus Tubbs): "Microfracture surgery has been a somewhat controversial technique and, while the results have improved, they are still inconsistent. The surgery involves drilling small holes into the knee, to promote blood flow to the area, and to help replace lost cartilage in the joint."

Searching for Winslow news here and nothing is coming up. This is really curious - the guy is a top tier TE, probably the only one who can challenge Gates at #1 this year, and he is being drafted at a huge discount because of injury concerns. If those concerns are legitimate, where is the injury news & updates? If he is on track to be fully healthy when the season starts, he has to be the biggest value pick in the league. So, which is it? Is it health concerns (if so, whats the current status bc from what I read he is on track) or is he just being overlooked?
I had Winslow last year and agree hes a great value but there is absolutely no shot of this. This is the Browns for Gods sakes. They have a horrible offense. And Winslow is not the goalline threat that Gates is. He is probably the 3rd option on the goalline behind JoeJ and Edwards. As a matter of fact I believe they started pulling Winslow on the goalline last year and JoeJ lead them in redzone targets once he came back.

I dont get the risk. I doubt he will have another motorcycle crash. What other risks are there?
:confused: His picture is in the dictionary under injury. He played most of last year on leg and had offseason surgery.
From what I can tell, his injuries were all isolated fluke incidents and he is currently healthy. Am I mistaken?
Yes you are mistaken

Winslow led all tight ends with 89 receptions and led all TE/WRs last year in catch percentage (receptions/targets). But let's be honest, averaging less than 10 yards per catch simply isn't going to get it done and speaks to his lack of explosiveness, at least in part.

I'm of the mind that the Browns have more offensive firepower than most believe this year, and think that offensive line could actually be good (if Steinbach is healthy). While I don't pretend to know whether OC Rob Chuds Chudzinski will be a good NFL play caller, I do know that he was the OC at the U while Winslow was playing AND he spent the last few years coaching Antonio Gates. Chuds will use Winslow early and often if Winslow's health permits.

As to searching and not finding anything, I'm guessing you're not a subscriber?

If you are, a quick visit to his player page will give you plenty to chew on: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/WinsKe01-1.php

You will find a detailed writeup, projections, a Faceoff, a Spotlight (just posted today), and comments from staff on why he's overvalued and why he's undervalued. Can't ask for more information than that.

article
Savage said Winslow's microfracture surgery "wasn't as extreme" as some previous microfracture surgeries other athletes have endured. He said Winslow sought multiple opinions after the season and decided "to get this fixed once and for all."
This was actually "preventive" microfracture... his cartilege/meniscus was not totally destroyed as in the case of most microfracture surgeries, and the thought was the clotting/scar buildup along with his existing meniscus would eliminate the pain he was playing with entirely.Along with this, microfracture typically requires the player be off the knee entirely for quite an extensive time. KW2 is ahead of schedule, only confirming his procedure was not as severe as most microfracture surgeries.

Winslow led all tight ends with 89 receptions and led all TE/WRs last year in catch percentage (receptions/targets). But let's be honest, averaging less than 10 yards per catch simply isn't going to get it done and speaks to his lack of explosiveness, at least in part.

I'm of the mind that the Browns have more offensive firepower than most believe this year, and think that offensive line could actually be good (if Steinbach is healthy). While I don't pretend to know whether OC Rob Chuds Chudzinski will be a good NFL play caller, I do know that he was the OC at the U while Winslow was playing AND he spent the last few years coaching Antonio Gates. Chuds will use Winslow early and often if Winslow's health permits.

As to searching and not finding anything, I'm guessing you're not a subscriber?

If you are, a quick visit to his player page will give you plenty to chew on: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/WinsKe01-1.php

You will find a detailed writeup, projections, a Faceoff, a Spotlight (just posted today), and comments from staff on why he's overvalued and why he's undervalued. Can't ask for more information than that.
Thanks - good info. I subscribe, I meant searching the forum. I figured if the knee was an ongoing thing, there would be some news and notes that came through. I generally dont believe in "injury prone", just a distribution curve of unlucky events, so my question was whether he was fully healthy now or not. I guess that is something we wont fully know.

:thumbdown: His picture is in the dictionary under injury. He played most of last year on leg and had offseason surgery.
He caught 89 passes for 875 yards last year. If that's an example of what Kellen Winslow can do with one leg, then I'm markedly less worried about injury risk- and imagine what he could do if he ever regenerated that second leg and could actually run instead of hopping along downfield!

He led all tight ends in catches last year even though he was injured and playing on one leg. This year he is feeling better and all reports have said he has been the best player at Browns training camp.

I think he will have a huge year.

But...this year he's coming of Microfracture surgery...

It's damn near impossible to return and play at the same level.

If he wasn't explosive last year, how's he going to be this year?

I don't know too many football players that had Micro, but I know in the NBA, guys that were all-stars because of their explosiveness were never the same.

Chris Webber, Kenyon Martin come to mind.

The thing that was most impressive about Winslow last year was how hard he played. He always delivered the blow, bad peg or not. His intensity is great. If healthy the upside is unlimited.

But let's be honest, averaging less than 10 yards per catch simply isn't going to get it done and speaks to his lack of explosiveness, at least in part.
Disagree. It's hard to get above 10 YPC when most of the passes thrown to him were under 5 yards and in traffic.

:popcorn: His picture is in the dictionary under injury. He played most of last year on leg and had offseason surgery.
From what I can tell, his injuries were all isolated fluke incidents and he is currently healthy. Am I mistaken?
Yes you are mistaken
A broken leg and a motorcycle accident.... :thumbup: ........yeah, those aren't fluke.

article
Savage said Winslow's microfracture surgery "wasn't as extreme" as some previous microfracture surgeries other athletes have endured. He said Winslow sought multiple opinions after the season and decided "to get this fixed once and for all."
This was actually "preventive" microfracture... his cartilege/meniscus was not totally destroyed as in the case of most microfracture surgeries, and the thought was the clotting/scar buildup along with his existing meniscus would eliminate the pain he was playing with entirely.Along with this, microfracture typically requires the player be off the knee entirely for quite an extensive time. KW2 is ahead of schedule, only confirming his procedure was not as severe as most microfracture surgeries.
In a nutshell, I had the same thing done to my elbow. I lost 3-4 degrees range of motion, and had to have some fragments that were calcifying removed some 5 years later, but really, none the worse for wear. Mine was for a soft-spongy spot on the end of the bone. It felt like severe tendonitis (painful, but not debilitating) that lasted for several years until having the surgery. Felt like new afterwards.

I remember even last season when KWJr was the #1 TE for the first half of the season, I had to create a post about him because there was just NOTHING.

For some reason, people ignore him. I think it's because he is so unlikable.

Anyway, I love his outlook this year, esp. considering where you can nab him. (I got him end of 7th in my 14-team as TE6).

About the only negative IMO is if you want to hedge against injury, you should take a backup TE earlier than normal.

Users who are viewing this thread