What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kendrick Lamar (1 Viewer)

There aren't many new rappers that actually rap. Kendrick, Action Bronson and Joey Badass are about the only ones I can think of right now that I would call new rappers.

Other then that, there is a ton of Jeezy, YG, Drake, Wayne, Waca crap that floods the radio at Shade 45.

When they have an actual DJ, it's a lot better. DJ Caesar is on now until 12 then Whoo Kid comes in. They do a pretty good job of not letting the 'hits' get in the way of good session.

Scram Jones and Tony Touch DJ at night (Tony Touch is on Tuesday, not sure about Scram Jones).

I like Backspin but I have to change when they start playing pre-Rakim era rap; just can't get into it.

I never thought Id stop listening to rap but its horrible right now and Ive moved on to EDM lol. The only rap I listen to is Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, and Kanye (yeah hes a ##### but I like his music).

As always there is plenty of good rap out there but not on the mainstream airwaves. So you have to search for it or know about it.

For what its worth, if your looking for another good listen, the Childish Gambino - Because the internet album is really good. Also check for BIG KRIT. And actually there have been a bunch of good releases in the last year that aren't horrible stuff you hear on the radio.

I'm so-so on the new Kendrick, but his last 2 albums were so strong that I will give it more listens. Have you guys heard the last J Cole and Big Krit albums? They were both classics.

I'm so-so on the new Kendrick, but his last 2 albums were so strong that I will give it more listens. Have you guys heard the last J Cole and Big Krit albums? They were both classics.
Big Krit yes, not so much for J Cole.
Last two J Cole albums were real strong. I take it you aren't a fan? What don't you like?
I like Cole. My only issue is his albums can get slightly boring. Maybe its the production. Like, you listen to the Kendrick album, you listen to Big KRIT, the albums are an adventure. Diverse production to go along with the lyrics.

If I were to listen to one KL track, what should it be?
The thing about Kendricks albums, they are meant to be heard in full. Granted, he has a number of hit records. But if you want to check him out i would just listen to an album in full. They are all good but all quite different sounds.

Last two J Cole albums were real strong. I take it you aren't a fan? What don't you like?
I like Cole. My only issue is his albums can get slightly boring. Maybe its the production. Like, you listen to the Kendrick album, you listen to Big KRIT, the albums are an adventure. Diverse production to go along with the lyrics.
This and a lot of his songs sound like Drake songs.

tommyGunZ said:
Capella said:
tommyGunZ said:
KDot is up there with Big and Jigga as the GOATs.
:lmao: :lmao: COME ON
Kendricks two albums stack up with any two those guys put up. :shrug: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/8257319/kendrick-lamar-album-review-to-pimp-a-butterfly
:lmao: these albums suck and his voice is annoying. Shame on you.
Two universally critically acclaimed albums "suck"? Someone is getting old and cranky.
Maybe getting old, but this track came out 2 weeks ago and KL will never do anything this good/

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/jay-electronica-road-to-perdition-mp3.html

tommyGunZ said:
Capella said:
tommyGunZ said:
Kendricks two albums stack up with any two those guys put up. :shrug: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/8257319/kendrick-lamar-album-review-to-pimp-a-butterfly
Two universally critically acclaimed albums "suck"? Someone is getting old and cranky.
Maybe getting old, but this track came out 2 weeks ago and KL will never do anything this good/

I love Jay Electronica but he did a song with Kendrick and NO ONE talked about Jay Electronica's verse - all the buzz was over Kendrick calling people out on wax

Jay Electronica needs to put out more content, that's his only flaw IMO.

tommyGunZ said:
Capella said:
tommyGunZ said:

I love Jay Electronica but he did a song with Kendrick and NO ONE talked about Jay Electronica's verse - all the buzz was over Kendrick calling people out on wax

Yep. Jay is very talented but he needs to release an album. and kendrick killed him on the Control song.

This and a lot of his songs sound like Drake songs.
I get that. Drake sucks hard a lot of the time, but he has a few gems. IYRTITL was decent. I was running through the 6 with my woes...have to admit rapping along to that.

tommyGunZ said:
Capella said:
tommyGunZ said:

Yep. Jay is very talented but he needs to release an album. and kendrick killed him on the Control song.
That's the song I'm talking about, no one even remembers Jay Electronica did the third verse.

tommyGunZ said:
Capella said:
tommyGunZ said:

That's the song I'm talking about, no one even remembers Jay Electronica did the third verse.
Hell I didn't remember there was a 1st verse either

Also new album is amazing. You gotta listen to it a few times from start to finish since the album is a story

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
if this is considered good rap now i've completely lost touch. that was truly awful pop music. Calling that rap is insulting to the genre.
"good rap now" <> "pick one Kendrick song"

I'll take Sean Price over all of this guys and he's still putting out good hip hop. It's just not mainstream

Hell, he's Action Bronson killing it on Hot 97 a few months ago

Action Bronson Freestyle Jan 2015

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
if this is considered good rap now i've completely lost touch. that was truly awful pop music. Calling that rap is insulting to the genre.
Yup. #### is garbage.
Go iron one of your Tommy Bahamas button downs so it's not wrinkled at Applebee's tonight old man. You've clearly lost touch.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe

I'll take Sean Price over all of this guys and he's still putting out good hip hop. It's just not mainstream

:goodposting: x100

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
Yup. #### is garbage.
Go iron one of your Tommy Bahamas button downs so it's not wrinkled at Applebee's tonight old man. You've clearly lost touch.
Applebee's :lmao:

I wouldn't eat there with your mouth.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe

Bronson's new album has leaked by the way. Oh and if you guys like Bronson definitely check is webseries "####, this is delicious" great show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You've lost touch.
i listened to a few of his other songs and they were decent.

Next time don't pick the worst example of what a musician has done.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You call THAT pop? An odd 1970s song was used to create the beat. The song doesn't seem poppy to me. Pop music is easy stuff that doesn't require thinking. You know stuff we've heard from Will Smith, Vanilla Ice, Eminem and The Notorious B.I.G. (on most of their singles), Young MC, and countless others.

18 of my top 20 all time favorite rap albums were released between 1988 and 1998. Another one on the list came out in 2002. "good kid, m.A.A.d city" also made the list.

To me it is right up there with Slick Rick's debut, the classic Wu-Tang albums, Jay-Z's debut, The Notorious B.I.G.'s debut, "The Chronic", "The Diary", "Soul Food", "Aquemini", "The Infamous" and "Illmatic".

Maybe buy the album and give it a few listens as opposed to listening to one song and deriding the entire album as hipster nonsense.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You call THAT pop? An odd 1970s song was used to create the beat. The song doesn't seem poppy to me. Pop music is easy stuff that doesn't require thinking. You know stuff we've heard from Will Smith, Vanilla Ice, Eminem and The Notorious B.I.G. (on most of their singles), Young MC, and countless others.

18 of my top 20 all time favorite rap albums were released between 1988 and 1998. Another one on the list came out in 2002. "good kid, m.A.A.d city" also made the list.

To me it is right up there with Slick Rick's debut, the classic Wu-Tang albums, Jay-Z's debut, The Notorious B.I.G.'s debut, "The Chronic", "The Diary", "Soul Food", "Aquemini", "The Infamous" and "Illmatic".

Maybe buy the album and give it a few listens as opposed to listening to one song and deriding the entire album as hipster nonsense.
In the post right above yours i said i listened to a few of his other songs and thought they were decent. The song that Ilov80's recommended was bad and probably the worst one to recommend to someone. Whether it was pop or not is pretty irrelevant, it was just bad music and definitely not "rap".

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You call THAT pop? An odd 1970s song was used to create the beat. The song doesn't seem poppy to me. Pop music is easy stuff that doesn't require thinking. You know stuff we've heard from Will Smith, Vanilla Ice, Eminem and The Notorious B.I.G. (on most of their singles), Young MC, and countless others.18 of my top 20 all time favorite rap albums were released between 1988 and 1998. Another one on the list came out in 2002. "good kid, m.A.A.d city" also made the list.

In the post right above yours i said i listened to a few of his other songs and thought they were decent. The song that Ilov80's recommended was bad and probably the worst one to recommend to someone. Whether it was pop or not is pretty irrelevant, it was just bad music and definitely not "rap".
Yes, I saw that as soon as I posted mine. My previous post took about 40 minutes of real time because I was doing laundry at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread