What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kendrick Lamar (1 Viewer)

If I were to listen to one KL track, what should it be?
Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
if this is considered good rap now i've completely lost touch. that was truly awful pop music. Calling that rap is insulting to the genre.
You call THAT pop? An odd 1970s song was used to create the beat. The song doesn't seem poppy to me. Pop music is easy stuff that doesn't require thinking. You know stuff we've heard from Will Smith, Vanilla Ice, Eminem and The Notorious B.I.G. (on most of their singles), Young MC, and countless others.

18 of my top 20 all time favorite rap albums were released between 1988 and 1998. Another one on the list came out in 2002. "good kid, m.A.A.d city" also made the list.

To me it is right up there with Slick Rick's debut, the classic Wu-Tang albums, Jay-Z's debut, The Notorious B.I.G.'s debut, "The Chronic", "The Diary", "Soul Food", "Aquemini", "The Infamous" and "Illmatic".

Maybe buy the album and give it a few listens as opposed to listening to one song and deriding the entire album as hipster nonsense.
In fairness, if dude hasn't ever heard a Kendrick Lamar song at this point, do you really value his opinion on rap anyway?

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
if this is considered good rap now i've completely lost touch. that was truly awful pop music. Calling that rap is insulting to the genre.
You've lost touch.
i listened to a few of his other songs and they were decent.

Next time don't pick the worst example of what a musician has done.
##### Don't Kill My Vibe is the worst example of a Kendrick Lamar song? Lol.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You've lost touch.

not the worst, but def aint close to the best

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You've lost touch.

I strongly disagree. One of the all time great rap songs.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You've lost touch.

i assume you're joking. Even if you like it you must have been born in 2005 or later to think that song is even in the top 10,000 rap songs of all time.

You picked the worst example of what the guy has done, some of his other stuff was actually pretty good.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You've lost touch.

i assume you're joking. Even if you like it you must have been born in 2005 or later to think that song is even in the top 10,000 rap songs of all time.

You picked the worst example of what the guy has done, some of his other stuff was actually pretty good.
I wasn't joking and was born in 82. We can disagree, it's cool. I'm glad you liked some of his stuff.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You've lost touch.

I wasn't joking and was born in 82. We can disagree, it's cool. I'm glad you liked some of his stuff.
everyone has different tastes, just thought you might have been joking. looking at its youtube views i guess a lot of people like it though.

Bish Don't Kill My Vibe
You've lost touch.

While i wouldnt go this far, i think it was a great song to pick. because its a song that on the surface is just a typical song about getting drunk i the club when in reality it isnt. Most of his music is like this so for those that choose to listen to a song instead of actually taking the time to hear the album..... Like you said i dont really value their opinion anyway!

He's solid.

Getting a little crazy in here with the greatest of all time stuff though.

That's timschochet's shtick. Let's relax a little with that insanity IMO

I remember listening to his first album and thinking, really? It eventually grew on me but I dont like concept albums and I didnt like the production. Too many jazzy sounding songs which I was never a fan of. This album sounds the same to me. I think hes a great lyricist in a time desperate for them but I just dont like the style of production.

Not sure if this will be met with approval or scorn, but I've come to enjoy Pusha T quite a bit lately.

And no love for Danny Brown in here? Joey Bad, Action Bronson, Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul is okay, etc. etc.....plenty of solid hip hop out there if you know where to find it IMO.

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2015/03/20/3636944/even-without-taylor-swift-streaming-made-money-cds-last-year/

As for 2015, Spotify records have been smashed twice since this new year began: Drake’sIf You’re Reading This It’s Too Late and Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp a Butterfly. Lamar’s album had a record 9.6 million streams on the day of its release; the next day, Lamar set a new record when To Pimp a Butterfly was streamed 9.8 million times. The major complaint about streaming services has always been that artists don’t get a big enough cut of the cash, but Lamar reportedly made about $1 million in 24 hours.

Not sure if this will be met with approval or scorn, but I've come to enjoy Pusha T quite a bit lately.

And no love for Danny Brown in here? Joey Bad, Action Bronson, Kendrick, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul is okay, etc. etc.....plenty of solid hip hop out there if you know where to find it IMO.
I've celebrated Pusha's various endeavors for quite some time.

I've celebrated Pusha's various endeavors for quite some time.
Yea Pusha is nice. Saw him live last summer. He put on a good show.

Just listened all the way through to new album again with high end head phones. Pretty good. It's not enough for some of the GOAT talk in here but it's really good.

One complaint, the pitch bend wheel was way overused on the album. I counted a pitch bend beat on 5 of the songs. I get why it's used, it makes the album sound "different" than other albums but less is more.

Also, I am done with Snoop Dogg... Auto skip any song still featuring him. He hasn't sounded like he was trying in 20 years. He gets paid to show up, lay down a half assed verse with words that rhyme with izzle in the same tone on every track. I think Psy had him on a song a few years ago, that's when you know it's time to hang it up.

7/10 on the album

Last edited by a moderator:
John Bender said:
Just listened all the way through to new album again with high end head phones. Pretty good. It's not enough for some of the GOAT talk in here but it's really good.

One complaint, the pitch bend wheel was way overused on the album. I counted a pitch bend beat on 5 of the songs. I get why it's used, it makes the album sound "different" than other albums but less is more.

Also, I am done with Snoop Dogg... Auto skip any song still featuring him. He hasn't sounded like he was trying in 20 years. He gets paid to show up, lay down a half assed verse with words that rhyme with izzle in the same tone on every track. I think Psy had him on a song a few years ago, that's when you know it's time to hang it up.

7/10 on the album
His only good album was The Chronic 2...er, "Doggystyle".

John Bender said:

7/10 on the album
I always thought snoop was overrated. :shrug:

John Bender said:

7/10 on the album
He's always been a product of The Chronic. He's been a cartoon character ever since.

John Bender said:

7/10 on the album
He's always been a product of The Chronic. He's been a cartoon character ever since.
This ^^^

Ron said it better than I could. I've just found him unlistenable since Doggystyle.

I feel the same way about Wiz Kalifa. You've toured around the world but the only thing you can talk about for an entire album is smoking weed?

Totally agree on Snoop and Wiz. Snoop was awesome, but it was brief. The last decent thing he did was 2 of Americaz Most Wanted.

I like him...big fan...but can we all agree that the "I Love Myself" song is pretty friggin horrible. Really. It is.

I like him...big fan...but can we all agree that the "I Love Myself" song is pretty friggin horrible. Really. It is.
I think most popular west coast rappers get pulled in so many directions. The last west coast group to stay in their lane might be The Alkaholiks

If Boot Camp started on the west coast, they might be doing songs with Katy Perry and selling Doritos.

I feel the same way about Wiz Kalifa. You've toured around the world but the only thing you can talk about for an entire album is smoking weed?
I've really tried to get into Wiz Khalifa. Just can't do it. I want to like his music....I just don't.
I think this is the only verse from wiz i really liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHkEogljLuU
He couldn't go 1 bar without talking about getting high though...

I haven't listened to the song in question, but Kendrick is generally pretty good. Wouldn't call him pop or a disgrace to rap. I like Action Bronson (Swires> hey) and Joey Bada$$ better. Even Troy Ave is growing on me. Don't get the hate for J. Cole either, he's nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
KDot is up there with Big and Jigga as the GOATs.
:lmao: :lmao: COME ON
Kendricks two albums stack up with any two those guys put up. :shrug: http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/8257319/kendrick-lamar-album-review-to-pimp-a-butterfly
You're insane.
As a black man in a tough, tough world, To Pimp A Butterfly really inspires me to strive and to push forward. It really is an inspiration to overcome the struggles I deal with on a daily basis.

I definitely never thought to myself, "I hope Action Bronson does a song where he tries to sings the hook."

Users who are viewing this thread