What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kerry Collins cut by Raiders...again (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Clayton just reported on SC that Collins has been cut after renegotiation talks broke off. He said they will use the extra 8 million to try and finalize the deal for CPepp.

Raiders release QB Collins in salary dump

Associated Press

3/10/2006

The Oakland Raiders released quarterback Kerry Collins on Friday, an expected salary-cap move that got delayed five days after the NFL and its union postponed the start of free agency.

The Raiders had to make the tough decision on the fate of Collins, who knew his time was probably up with the Raiders because he would be too expensive. By releasing Collins, Oakland will save $9.2 million against the salary cap once bonuses are factored into the figures.

The Raiders thought they would be forced to let Collins go Sunday after the NFL and its union broke off talks earlier in the day, failing to agree upon an elevated cap number that would have allowed teams to keep certain high-priced veterans.

The 33-year-old Collins went 7-21 in two years as Oakland's starter and said at the end of the season he was willing to restructure his deal but wouldn't play for "peanuts."

New coach Art Shell said when he was hired last month that he believed Collins could be a "great" quarterback for the Raiders, but the team still had to figure out what it would do with him.

The Raiders already made moves this offseason to reduce their payroll for next season. They released defensive lineman Ted Washington, offensive lineman Ron Stone and defensive back Denard Walker last week. They also declined a $10 million option for 2006 for safety Derrick Gibson. Those moves created more than $18 million in additional cap space for 2006.

Oakland also declined to use a franchise tag on Charles Woodson, who made $10.537 million last season.

The Raiders scored 51 points, with six touchdowns, in their final five games and lost their last six overall and eight of nine despite an offense featuring Collins, Randy Moss, LaMont Jordan and Jerry Porter. At 4-12, they finished with one fewer victory than in fired coach Norv Turner's first season in 2004.

Perhaps the most glaring statistic is Oakland's failure to win a division game for the first time since owner Al Davis came aboard in 1963 to coach and eventually own the team. The Raiders went 1-11 against the AFC West during Turner's two seasons.

Collins started the season well, but couldn't maintain any consistency. He completed 302 passes for 3,759 yards - his most since 2002 with the Giants - and 20 touchdowns. He also was sacked 39 times and threw 12 interceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I've always labeled him as overrated, Culpepper would be the perfect fit for Oakland. Moss and he have already been groomed together. They both love the jump ball. He can stand in the pocket and launch it deep. He can scramble. He can take a hit. He even provides another dimension at the goal line. For a team who overlooks mistakes and off the field problems in favor of athleticism and going for it all, he'll fit right in.

Pepper in Oakland would hurt Lamont Jordan a bit - more passing TDs and he likes those 1 yd vulture plunges!

While I've always labeled him as overrated, Culpepper would be the perfect fit for Oakland. Moss and he have already been groomed together. They both love the jump ball. He can stand in the pocket and launch it deep. He can scramble. He can take a hit. He even provides another dimension at the goal line. For a team who overlooks mistakes and off the field problems in favor of athleticism and going for it all, he'll fit right in.
Take a hit? Are you kidding? This guy is on the block because he DOESN'T like to get hit. For a guy his size he isn't that tough and fumbles if the wind blows on him too hard.! :X

So where does Collins end up? Do the Balt rumors have any merit with Fassel there? If not Balt, then what? A back up somewhere?
Just found this:
Ravens | Team interested in K. Collins

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:53:59 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Baltimore Ravens are interested in pursuing free agent QB Kerry Collins (Raiders).

Im hoping Collins heads to Baltimore. Hed be a solid fit there.
If he puts up 3500 & 22+ TD's then Boller will get run out for sure. However, I'm not sure the Balt offense is designed to do that. I like Heap and the fact they have upgraded the WR's. Mason is nice in a possession offense and Clayton will only get better.

Take a hit? Are you kidding? This guy is on the block because he DOESN'T like to get hit. For a guy his size he isn't that tough and fumbles if the wind blows on him too hard.! :X
:bs: If you go back and watch tape from his first and second year that he started, that was all he did. HE LOVED RUNNING PEOPLE OVER!!!!!!!! It was when some clown got in his head and told him he could get hurt doing that and to slide, he started fumbling the ball and all that crap.

:bs: If you go back and watch tape from his first and second year that he started, that was all he did. HE LOVED RUNNING PEOPLE OVER!!!!!!!! It was when some clown got in his head and told him he could get hurt doing that and to slide, he started fumbling the ball and all that crap.
Raskall is dead on correct. The guy made a DB pay a price when he got 10-15 yards down field. I actually remember a few LB's getting the short end of the hit.

Im hoping Collins heads to Baltimore. Hed be a solid fit there.
I don't disagree with you often, but I'll start now.Collins is just about done. Boller showed some nice flashes of his potential in 2 of their final 4 games. His upside is much higher than Kerry's at this point going forward. And they have invested too much time and money in Boller to relegate him to the bench again. Not to mention that Baltimore, IMO, is not thisclose to being a Super Bowl team anymore, so why not try to build for the future. Collins is not the answer.

Im hoping Collins heads to Baltimore.  Hed be a solid fit there.
I don't disagree with you often, but I'll start now.Collins is just about done. Boller showed some nice flashes of his potential in 2 of their final 4 games. His upside is much higher than Kerry's at this point going forward. And they have invested too much time and money in Boller to relegate him to the bench again. Not to mention that Baltimore, IMO, is not thisclose to being a Super Bowl team anymore, so why not try to build for the future. Collins is not the answer.
totally agree.

thank god someboby remember this......its amazing how many football fans don't remember the days of c-pep running lb's over!

Im hoping Collins heads to Baltimore.  Hed be a solid fit there.
I dont disagree, but I think Collins will come at a reasonable enough price to where they can bring him in and let him compete with Boller. I agree that Boller showed some flashes last year, but they've now pissed away 3 years of a competitive team due to bad QBing, and bringing in a QB like Collins(who I believe can be better than you do in the right system) I think is the best way to hedge against another poor performance by Boller.

I also wouldnt hate seeing Josh McCown here.

thank god someboby remember this......its amazing how many football fans don't remember the days of c-pep running lb's over!
Seems to me he stopped right around the time he got speared in the back by Wali Ranier, breaking 3 bones in his back.

Culpepper was coached to slide after a while in Minnesota. Oakland has a tradition with some tough QBs. I think he'll be coached back into being tough again if he ends up there. He certainly has shown the will and ability to take a hit in his time in the league. Minnesota isnt trading him because he cant take a hit. They are trading him because he had sex in public, has a new coach, has a serious knee injury, and wants more money despite all of that.

Users who are viewing this thread