What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Knowshon Moreno hurt in first practice session (1 Viewer)

Traded away 100+ catch WR that was the key to our offense - check Franchise left tackle is a question mark for the season - check The 12th overall pick in the draft, the RB expected to be the main ball carrier this year, goes down on the first day of training camp - check Kyle Orton is our starting QB - check
Head coach is a bratty Belichek wannabe, a boy among men - check

Traded away 100+ catch WR that was the key to our offense - check Franchise left tackle is a question mark for the season - check The 12th overall pick in the draft, the RB expected to be the main ball carrier this year, goes down on the first day of training camp - check Kyle Orton is our starting QB - check
all this = 3 wins
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out where those 3 wins come from. This is a terrible team.

Even if it's not a torn ACL, but a hammy injury, that could actually be worse in the long run for fantasy teams lured into to starting him, even though he could potentially never get back to 100% all year.

From Lindsay Jones, Broncos beat writer for The Denver Post:

Moreno's hamstring injury appears "serious," per NFL source. Not great news, but at least not a knee.

So, it's a possible ACL? Eesh...

A couple tweets from Vic Lombardi of the Denver Sports Insiders:

---The Moreno injury I'm told is a possible ACL...possible. Not confirmed. Buckhalter is a minor hamstring.
Or, wait...it's now a hamstring?
Posted August 1, 2010, 12:09 pm MT

Moreno to have suffered hamstring injury

By Mike Klis

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2010/08/01/mor...amstring-injury
I swear, these reporters and how/where they get their information...doesn't instill a lot of confidence in how these guys rely on their "sources."
Yes. But part of that is because of people like us. There is this insane race to be first with the information that reporters now run with things they wouldn't have considered going to print with 5 years ago. I was out of touch this morning and sent the Moreno update to our guys about 45 minutes later than some of our competition. I will get lots of "old news" replies back from people that wanted the info instantly.

It's cool that we've raised the bar but when we value speed above all else, it leads to some really sketchy reports.

That's not an excuse as you are responsible for what you write. More of an observation I've noticed lately.

J

Head coach is a bratty Belichek wannabe, a boy among men - check
The pupil will never come close to achieving Master status.

---The Moreno injury I'm told is a possible ACL...possible. Not confirmed. Buckhalter is a minor hamstring.

By Mike Klis

I swear, these reporters and how/where they get their information...doesn't instill a lot of confidence in how these guys rely on their "sources."
Probably from gossip king Mike Florio.

The Denver Post is now describing Knowshon Moreno's right leg injury as a "popped" hamstring.

"Moreno no doubt popped his pretty good," writes the Post's Lindsay Jones. Jones points out that a "popped" leg muscle is better news than a torn knee ligament, but bum hamstrings can be very tricky to recover from. Stay tuned.

Reports: Knowshon Moreno's injury is serious

A league source tells the Denver Post that Knowshon Moreno's left leg injury "appears to be serious." ESPN's Adam Schefter seconds the report.

Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reported that Moreno might have torn his ACL, but his story seemed shaky, and Lombardi "re-tweeted" the Denver Post's report that it's a hamstring injury. The Post is confident that Moreno's injury is to his hamstring -- not his knee. Still, Moreno is going to be sidelined indefinitely. We'll be on the lookout for more updates throughout the day. Aug. 1 - 2:28 pm et

Source: Lindsay Jones on Twitter

Moreno was down for several minutes as well and they kept running drills in the general area. They seemed to be focusing on screen passes out of the backfield today.

As an aside, it was amazing how many Tebow fans were there today as well.

I'm hearing it could be a torn hamstring. Doesn't that require surgery? What is the recovery time for such an injury. I hope I'm hearing wrong....

if it was fully torn, I'd think they'd know that on the field as the muscle would've rolled up to the non-torn side and bulged noticeably, yeah?

It's probably partially torn and he'd probably return for week 6 or so.

if it was fully torn, I'd think they'd know that on the field as the muscle would've rolled up to the non-torn side and bulged noticeably, yeah?It's probably partially torn and he'd probably return for week 6 or so.
Maybe they did know... Hope not though.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Jason LaCanfora, NFLN:

The MRI on Moreno, I'm told, is to determine if the hammy is torn. If it is, obviously, then we're looking at a much more severe scenario

By Mike Klis

Yes. But part of that is because of people like us. There is this insane race to be first with the information that reporters now run with things they wouldn't have considered going to print with 5 years ago. I was out of touch this morning and sent the Moreno update to our guys about 45 minutes later than some of our competition. I will get lots of "old news" replies back from people that wanted the info instantly.

It's cool that we've raised the bar but when we value speed above all else, it leads to some really sketchy reports.

That's not an excuse as you are responsible for what you write. More of an observation I've noticed lately.

J
Absolutely agree. But, it makes you wonder where these guys get their information. Obviously, somebody doesn't have the first clue what he's writing about. And, this seems to happen a lot more frequently now for the reasons you outlined.

if it was fully torn, I'd think they'd know that on the field as the muscle would've rolled up to the non-torn side and bulged noticeably, yeah?It's probably partially torn and he'd probably return for week 6 or so.
Depends on which portion was torn and where the tear occurred.Could be a complete tear and not show up anatomically if it was to one of the smaller tendons or mid-muscle belly.The hamstrings are a relatively complex group of muscles so it's not always an easy diagnosis.

Sounds like CBuck and a ww pickup will be their RB team this year. Kolby Smith is garbage and the other guy is a complete unknown. Cbuck from early reports is not going to be out long.

thanks for that breakdown. if the hammy tore from a smaller tendon or something, how long does it typically take to recover?

Depends on which portion was torn and where the tear occurred.Could be a complete tear and not show up anatomically if it was to one of the smaller tendons or mid-muscle belly.The hamstrings are a relatively complex group of muscles so it's not always an easy diagnosis.

RT @VicLombardi: A hammy tear could keep him out anywhere between 1-3 months. In extreme cases, could cost him the season.

Whew! If it is the hammy, in ANY shape, I like that better than an ACL.

Hammys are probablly the most common injuries in training camps as guys are getting back into shape and using those muscles in ways they haven't in a while, etc, etc.

From what I have observed over the years, the key with anything less than a true completely torn hamstring is how the medical staff treats it. It can't be rushed, yet the players need to be out there so they push and sometimes have setbacks. I think it was about 3 seasons ago that a rash of high profile WRs had this issue in camp. Hopefully the team will be smart and play it right.

I would guess that if its pretty significant, by the time you account for time lost and rest needed and all, this could be something that keeps Moreno out for the first week or two of the season but I definitely wouldn't expect him to miss the first 6 weeks or anything. And, of course, if it is THAT significant, we will know because the Broncos would likely put him on the pup.

thanks for that breakdown. if the hammy tore from a smaller tendon or something, how long does it typically take to recover?

Again, it depends.Full avulsion that requires surgical intervention 6-8 weeks for basic healing followed by rehab back to playing shape.Any type of complete tear needing surgery would end up being a "most of the season" type situation.Non-surgical and/or partial tears and the 1 to 3 months time frame quoted above may be accurate.

For anyone speculating on a time frame for this. Could you state what you are basing this on? Are you a physician, a trainer, did your sister pull her hamstring in track and field? I would like to know you have some sort of expertise before seeing your estimate of time missed.

Nothing to add but to say - Excellent thread - Guys. This is what the Shark Pool is supposed to be. :wall: to you.

J

Marshawn Lynch to the Broncos?Anybody see this happening?
As a guy with Lynch on a couple of dynasty rosters I would like to see him traded but if I had a RB injury I think I would be looking to sign Westbrook as a free agent long before trading something for Lynch if I was filling a hole created by injury.

Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy McDaniels wants on his team. Anything is possible I guess but I wouldn't think McDaniels would want another troubled player after he's been cleaning house.

Doesn't seem to be the kind of guy McDaniels wants on his team. Anything is possible I guess but I wouldn't think McDaniels would want another troubled player after he's been cleaning house.
That's a fair point.To play the other side of that coin though - McDaniels is the disciple of a guy that seemed to cherish taking the "troubled" Corey Dillons and Randy Mosses of the league and making them shine.Just a thought.J

That's a fair point.To play the other side of that coin though - McDaniels is the disciple of a guy that seemed to cherish taking the "troubled" Corey Dillons and Randy Mosses of the league and making them shine.Just a thought.J
Moss and Dillon are/were good football players though.Marshawn Lynch, not so sure about.

I could see that, would just seem strange to me if it happened. We'll all find out soon enough because if Moreno does miss significant time the speculation will be rampant.

I know Lendale White is suspended four games, but he's a Denver kid, so maybe bring him home and surround him with ffamily would help?

Moss and Dillon are/were good football players though.Marshawn Lynch, not so sure about.
also the culture in NE was different than it is in denver. NE had a strong vet presence and a lot of success making it less risky to take on 1 or 2 guys with percieved character issues

I know Lendale White is suspended four games, but he's a Denver kid, so maybe bring him home and surround him with ffamily would help?
With all these injuries...he seems like a guy that could get a call.....but remember he is suspended for the first few games.

CBUCK = 1000 8tds now. Thank you
How does he stay healthy all year, though? He was easily the best Bronco RB last year. But the problem is he seems to have something nagging all the time. If he can stay healthy, great. But I'm not banking no that and I don't think the Broncos should either.

Marshawn Lynch to the Broncos?

Anybody see this happening?
Agreed.
Maybe time to take a serious look at Toney Baker.
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04...f-l/#more-41773RB Toney Baker, North Carolina State

Why Baker is Overlooked: Baker was also a top high school prospect, but he had a major knee injury during his sophomore year. Complications from the surgery also caused Baker to miss his junior season. When Baker returned to the lineup as a senior, he gained a total of 1,128 yards from scrimmage with 9 touchdowns – not impressive enough for him to vault back into the collective conscience of talent evaluators.

Why Baker Has Promise: At just a shade under 5’10”, 235 pounds, Baker has the balance and strength to gain yardage after contact. Runners with this height-weight dimension are generally effective power runners at the pro level because they have a low center of gravity to power through hits. What also stands out is Baker’s patience on zone plays to press the hole and find the cutback, and his shiftiness on trap plays to get small in narrow creases. A good receiver out of the backfield, Baker’s size and talents are reminiscent of former N.F.L. starters Leroy Hoard and Gary Brown.

Bottom Line: Baker might be ignored during the draft because of the severity of his injury and a 40-yard dash time of 4.5 to 4.6 seconds. However, Baker ran this time at a weight of 235 pounds, 10 pounds more than his playing weight. Jamal Lewis, Willis McGahee and Frank Gore are all examples of runners who needed two full years to regain some of their pre-injury speed and quickness. If Baker can do the same, he has the conceptual skills, instincts and versatility to make a roster and eventually surprise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread