What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KRob and Vikings far apart (1 Viewer)

Vikes Fan

Footballguy
This was in the St. Paul paper today and was an interesting read...

Vikings, Robinson far apartReceiver scheduled to become free agent if deal isn't reached by FridayBY SEAN JENSENPioneer PressThe agent for receiver Koren Robinson said he is "pessimistic" he can strike a long-term contract with the Vikings by Friday's deadline.

Agent Alvin Keels said discussions with Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings' vice president of football operations, haven't been fruitful with the start of free agency fast approaching.

"We have our differences on what the market value is on Koren as a player," Keels said." It's not something that can't be worked out.

"But if I were a betting man, I wouldn't put my money on it being worked out by Friday."

Keels stressed Friday because that's when the new league year and free agency are scheduled to open. But he and the Vikings could get more time if the NFL and the NFL Players Association make strides toward extending the collective bargaining agreement. If that's the case, the two sides could push back the starting date of free agency by a week or more so they can finalize terms of their agreement. But talks between the players association and management broke off Tuesday.

Keels isn't taking anything for granted.

Robinson is in an unusual situation after a topsy-turvy 2005 that started with his release from the Seattle Seahawks in June and ended with his selection to the Pro Bowl in December.

Last September, after checking out of a substance abuse rehabilitation center in South Carolina, Robinson signed a modest two-year contract with the Vikings. The Vikings released him before the start of the season to avoid having to pay him his entire 2005 salary of $540,000.

Several teams, including the Green Bay Packers, courted Robinson, giving him unexpected leverage. Keels then negotiated a one-year contract with the Vikings that gave the club the right to match any offer in free agency.

Robinson's dramatic turnaround was reinforced with character awards from local reporters and his teammates, as well his versatile performance for the Vikings.

Now, Robinson is one of the most appealing receivers available this offseason, with a thin market in free agency and the NFL draft.

"Of course, there are incentives for both parties to get a deal done before free agency because you never know what you're going to get once you open up Pandora's box," Keels said. "However, we're confident that Koren will be coveted if he hits the market."

With the Indianapolis Colts' re-signing of Reggie Wayne last week, Robinson is among the top receivers available. The Philadelphia Eagles are expected to release Terrell Owens, and other veterans will be let go. Robinson is among the top 10 free-agent receivers, according to scout.com. Of those players, Robinson has more receptions than, among others, Antwaan Randle El, Joe Jurevicius and David Givens. The only player with more catches or receiving yards than Robinson is David Boston, who has played in just five games the past two seasons.

A handful of teams could be in the market for a receiver, including the Packers, Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs and Cleveland Browns.

Two teams with obvious interest in Robinson are the Packers and the Panthers. Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson selected Robinson ninth overall in the 2001 draft for the Seahawks. Robinson is from North Carolina and was coached by the Panthers' staff at the Pro Bowl last month.

The market for Robinson is difficult to gauge. He can't command a contract like Wayne, who got a $13.5 million signing bonus. But he could draw a deal between what Miami's Chris Chambers (five years, $30 million, including $12 million in bonuses) and Oakland's Jerry Porter (five years, $20 million, including $8 million guaranteed) received.

Robinson has thrived in the West Coast offense, which new Vikings coach Brad Childress plans to run. Last week, Childress said he visited with Robinson and concluded, "It's hard not to like him."

But it's also hard to keep him.

If the start of free agency is pushed back, Robinson's list of suitors could increase. Without a CBA extension, the Vikings' odds of re-signing him were much higher because only a handful of teams could even afford to spend much money. With the challenge of the potential uncapped year in 2007, only teams with significant salary cap space could sign players because the salary cap hit in the initial year would be very high.

In December, Robinson told the Pioneer Press that he wanted to remain a Viking. But when asked what kind of contract he is looking for, Robinson said, "I don't really know the numbers. But I can tell what's a good deal, and what's suitable. As a man, you don't want to be disrespected."

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
This shouldn't surprise anyone. What the Vikings bought with a right of first refusal was the ability not to put their own best foot forward in negotiations. Likewise, Krob and his agent would be fools to accept an offer from the Vikings when he's free to try to get a better offer they must match when FA opens.

Since when does KOREN ROBINSON deserve a contract similar to Chris Chambers or Jerry Porter!?!?! That's insanity! The guy has a decent year RETURNING KICKS and all of a sudden he's one of the best FA's on the market? Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!

Since when does KOREN ROBINSON deserve a contract similar to Chris Chambers or Jerry Porter!?!?! That's insanity! The guy has a decent year RETURNING KICKS and all of a sudden he's one of the best FA's on the market? Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!
It's a ridiculous situation. He makes the Pro Bowl by returning kicks. He had a couple decent weeks as a WR, and he wants contracts similar to some of the top WRs now? Need we remind him of why he was cut from the Seahawks? That wasn't that long ago...

Well one has to enter a negotiation high and the other low, it just happens. I think Koren absolutely has to see what the market is for him. I can't imagine anyone knows what it is

Well one has to enter a negotiation high and the other low, it just happens. I think Koren absolutely has to see what the market is for him. I can't imagine anyone knows what it is
I guess he could atleast ask for something similar to what Desmond Howard got after his special teams performance in the super bowl. But not starting WR pay! :loco:

He can't command a contract like Wayne, who got a $13.5 million signing bonus. But he could draw a deal between what Miami's Chris Chambers (five years, $30 million, including $12 million in bonuses) and Oakland's Jerry Porter (five years, $20 million, including $8 million guaranteed) received.
Thats just insanity.

For the same reason Reggie Bush is going to get a lot of money this year; potential.

The biggest risk is giving up WR1 dollars and a lot of guaranteed money to a guy with a history of off field problems. Determining his 'worth' is a lot harder than with a player who has a clean past. His past alcohol problems are not an easy thing to ignore, and despite what anyone is saying about him having turned things around, it was only a year ago he was in court with booze on his breath. He could relapse at any time, as many people do, and teams are going to factor that in. If Robinson and his agent are looking for typical WR1 money, they are ignoring that reality.

Since when does KOREN ROBINSON deserve a contract similar to Chris Chambers or Jerry Porter!?!?!  That's insanity!  The guy has a decent year RETURNING KICKS and all of a sudden he's one of the best FA's on the market?  Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!
For the same reason Reggie Bush is going to get a lot of money this year; potential.
Reggie Bush doesnt have the "potential" to draw a year suspension if he is seen drinking a bottle of beer. KROB wouldnt be the first player to get a big contract based on his potential production...but not many guys with his poor production the last two years have gotten a big deal with two strikes against them.

Marginalize bodies of work much?

The biggest risk is giving up WR1 dollars and a lot of guaranteed money to a guy with a history of off field problems. Determining his 'worth' is a lot harder than with a player who has a clean past. His past alcohol problems are not an easy thing to ignore, and despite what anyone is saying about him having turned things around, it was only a year ago he was in court with booze on his breath. He could relapse at any time, as many people do, and teams are going to factor that in. If Robinson and his agent are looking for typical WR1 money, they are ignoring that reality.
I would assume it would be worked into the contract that if he relapses then they could recoup a lot of $ - though that could still leave the team in the lurch for that season. :shrug:

KRob is younger than both Chambers and Porter. He has one 1200+ yd season, Porter/Chambers have none between them. Porter has never had a 1,000 season. Does he deserve a contract similar to Chambers/Porter, no. He hasn't produced nearly as consistantly as those guys and has plenty of off the field issues . But don't think that he isn't comparable in talent. If his head is screwed on straight, the guy can play.

Since when does KOREN ROBINSON deserve a contract similar to Chris Chambers or Jerry Porter!?!?!  That's insanity!  The guy has a decent year RETURNING KICKS and all of a sudden he's one of the best FA's on the market?  Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!
Marginalize bodies of work much?
he also has a formidable body of work as an alcoholic & goof off, which, as has been pointed out, can't be ignored... large guaranteed, up front money is probably unrealistic... though it would seem that an incentive-laden contract with realistic, achievable goals which protects k-rob's interests, as well as specific language that protects prospective team financially from a relapse (allows them to recover part of signing bonus) would be a way to meet in the middle...

I think a big part of his perceived value is more a reflection of the lack of talent on the market at WR. Think about the "BIG" name FA WR's out there people are talking about.... Joe Jurevicius? Antwaan Randle El? David Givens? Good grief. The only legit #1 WR on the market is TO and he's got at least as many issues to worry about as Robinson. I don't follow college football very closely but I think I've read this isn't going to be a very good year for teams to draft a WR either. Seems like there are a bunch of teams talking about adding a WR out there but not very many WR's worth adding. I wouldn't be too surprised if any of the top FA WR's make more than they are worth this year.

Interesting how this is the exact opposite of the RB situation. A ton of talent looking to move and several college guys that look ready to step in and have an immediate impact. I think RB's may have a harder time getting the $ they think they deserve than WR's.

I think a big part of his perceived value is more a reflection of the lack of talent on the market at WR. Think about the "BIG" name FA WR's out there people are talking about.... Joe Jurevicius? Antwaan Randle El? David Givens? Good grief. The only legit #1 WR on the market is TO and he's got at least as many issues to worry about as Robinson.
Moulds is going to be cut as well unless some real progress is made in BUF, whic is not likely. Apart from that K-Robs market value is set by the money available and the need for WR1 talent.

As such it is probably very smart of K-Rob to test the waters as a FA - his chances of getting a reasonably big payday are good.

Moulds is going to be cut as well unless some real progress is made in BUF, whic is not likely.

Apart from that K-Robs market value is set by the money available and the need for WR1 talent.

As such it is probably very smart of K-Rob to test the waters as a FA - his chances of getting a reasonably big payday are good.
KRob is NOT a WR1 though. It appears he's getting pretty sauced up on his own kool-aid. "Hey...look at me...I returned a couple KO/punts back for touchdowns in meaningless games." Atleast Desmond Howard did it in the super bowl. If the pool is shallow...don't swim. :banned: :loco:

Moulds is going to be cut as well unless some real progress is made in BUF, whic is not likely.

Apart from that K-Robs market value is set by the money available and the need for WR1 talent.

KRob is NOT a WR1 though. It appears he's getting pretty sauced up on his own kool-aid. "Hey...look at me...I returned a couple KO/punts back for touchdowns in meaningless games." Atleast Desmond Howard did it in the super bowl. If the pool is shallow...don't swim. :banned: :loco:
Small thing, but he didn't return a punt at all this year. KRob only did kick-offs. M. Moore was returning punts.Rumors are flying here that Marcus Robinson will be cut soon. I wonder if they are waiting on Koren.

He doesn't catch the ball well enough with his hands. He doesn't adjust to the ball while its in the air. He can't go up high and catch the ball at its highest point. Simply put, he's not a good WR. I don't care how fast or strong he is.

He doesn't catch the ball well enough with his hands. He doesn't adjust to the ball while its in the air. He can't go up high and catch the ball at its highest point. Simply put, he's not a good WR. I don't care how fast or strong he is.
good observations... k-rob was a converted RB (from prep to college)... perhaps he will always have the hands & WR skills of a RB... it might have helped if he had worked harder at his craft, but he was notorious for not taking his job very seriously or being a hard worker... if he could improve his work ethic it is conceivable he could improve incrementally...but it is also probable that WR-like skills such as hand-eye coordination, being able to adjust to the ball in mid-flight, high pointing the ball... while they may be coached up & improved with practice... there is probably a great deal of variance in who is more NATURALLY gifted in these areas...

no matter how much i ever practiced, i may never be able to cultivate that effortless, almost telepathic & eerily unerring ability for willie mays to track down a fly ball hit over his head with his back turned to the ball... it was a gift he had, & he was one of the greatest in the history of the game at it as much because of that as all the practice he put in.

* i don't know if it is more than other positions, but elite WRs have to be nervous system, sensory-perceptual multi-taskers... run, track ball, time flight, jump, push off defender, catch, get feet in bounds, keep balance, make a move, etc (with some of these things going on & happening at the same time)...

Users who are viewing this thread