What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Landlord of 20 years raising rent 50%, gave us 2 months notice. (1 Viewer)

Over the last 2.5+ years after the pandemic started, Florida takes in an average of +1,000 new people/residents daily
You can do the math and all these folks need places to live and jobs to work and create more jobs

Beaches, tennis, golf, biking, hiking, walking, running, swimming, physical activities, paddleboard, doing yoga while paddleboarding, drinking beers down the inlets while paddleboarding, people wearing very little clothing which is good and terrible depending on where you are. 70 year old Fellow from Argentina next to me on the tennis court yesterday in 65 degree weather decided to rip his shirt off while.I was in the middle of returning a serve, I went blind and was aced. But in general, hard to see the appeal of this place and I have a much longer list if anyone needs to see more

If nothing else, I hope I made you laugh, sorry the Florida hate patrol decided to show up, we wear it with honor down here. Don't mind a bit that folks dislike this place, I personally hate Disney World for the most part but I understand folks with families and young children seem to love it. There's a lot more going on in Florida than the tourist spots, many of the best areas are remote and not nearly as populated as JAX, OTown, Tampa Bay, Ft Laud and Miami, just steer clear of the metro sections and it's a dream here. And even the metro areas offer a lot of great opportunities.

I do wish you the best in your journey over the coming weeks and months, I completely understand why moving is not a good option, everyone and every family is different.
My wife and I have always been selfish and put ourselves first and mostly let the rest the in-laws and such duke it out amongst themselves, we're not as family oriented as others.
You're. a better man than me, I've always picked up and moved when i was unhappy or needed to push on, but I never had the obligations you do.

🙏 🏖️ 🙏 🏖️ 🙏

Last edited:
Seems insane to me that there is a niche industry of super high end architects designing crazy expensive homes and you can’t even afford rent in a half decent area in that city. Feels like you’re getting ripped off from both sides.

Can't tell you how many nights I"ve gotten home to our lovely, but small home after a day spent having the client yell at me because my design of their 3 storey dressing room (with elevator) isn't working out yet how they want.

when I was in HS and told my parents' friend who were architects that I too wanted to be an architect, they all gave me a sideways glance... "you sure?". my first internship in college, one of the partners of a mid-sized successful SF firm doing all kinds of things- not small boutique spot like I'm used to- pulled me aside and asked me directly- "you sure you want to do this?"... after I said yes, he asked me to guess how much he makes. 90k. that's how much he made (granted- in the late 1980s). "you sure you still want to do this?".

I've worked on some 1% or the 1%ers houses. owners of hedgefunds, oil magnates, political movers and shakers, hollywood bigs- all people you've seen heard and read about... and every night I come home to my lovely but small home to a lovely family and while happy about the family, can't help but think I should've listened a little harder to those architects when I was younger. hell- I could've gone into hedgefunds or some other money-making enterprise and retired by now... and NOW become an arhitect and do my own **** without worrying about keeping a roof over my kids' heads

I am so sorry that you’re having to deal with this situation. Hopefully your landlord is understanding when you speak to them, and recognizes the value of a stable tenant who takes care of the property, and even improves it. As someone do used to have renters, I cannot understate how important that is.

If you move to another borough, will your son still be able to attend the school that he is in? If so, I would think that a longer commute, while a big inconvenience, would be a necessary trade off. I imagine that there are quite a few kids that are doing similar to attend competitive programs.

Edit to correct typos (talk to text)
Not sure if I mentioned this or not... but moving somewhere we have to commute is of course on the table. harder for our younger one... and me, if I want to ever see them again working the hours I work.. but if we have to move, we'll move. wife and I both on board with that.

That's a pretty douchey move for them.
I feel terrible for El Floppo, but if this a privately owned place, it wasn't exactly "fair" to the landlord to be losing 50% (of the market value) all this time. Not every landlord is loaded or wealthy. They need to live as well.
Hitting anyone with such a huge increase on such a short notice is not right. Of course the Landlord deserves to get whatever the market will bear. But there are ways to do this without such an unpleasant, sudden surprise.

@El Floppo if I were you I’d ask to meet the landlord and beg for 6 months and or an incremental rent raise over time. Explain your exact situation and put yourself at their mercy. Worst thing they will do is say no, which puts you in no worse a situation than you are now. And if you’re lucky they might just give you a break.
Zoom call to France scheduled already, gb.

The wife is insistent were not going anywhere until our son graduates HS in 2025.

I'm hoping to stay at current rent until the end of this summer and hope we find something else. As it is, they're asking us to leave before the end of the school year, which would be awful.

Would be great if the wife pulled in what's needed to cover the bump. She's insanely talented and should make more than me in her field (which pays more than mine). But she's been out of the work force for essential 15 years (consulting not withstanding) and not sure she'll even get offered anything, let alone at any kind of useful level. But we need to explore it more deeply.

Honestly, it sounds like a situation where she shouldn't be picky. If she makes $15/hr at some low level retail job, that's definitely gotta be her focus right now. Being out of the workforce for 15 years has probably been great, but it's time to buckle down.
Judging by conversation #1 she doesn’t want to get a job. She‘d rather sell everything not bolted down and ask the parents for money. It does sound like a second income would cause issues with financial aid etc. Feel bad for the guy, 90% of the stress of this situation is going to remain on his shoulders.

I've clearly done my wife a big disservice here by not explaining her situation better.

that after closing her own business, and then working for others as a hired gun (similar to what I do, but better paid), she stopped to have the kids (and not pay somebody 60k to raise them)... and she was doing consulting work after having them until covid, when it all dried up. she doesn't NOT want to work... she has WAY more of a working mentality than me or most people I know. I'm happy relaxing... not her. she is always going, planning, and working- even if it's not for a salary. during our talks over this, she said she's constantly trying to find work- getting rejected when she applies, but still looking. so when there's no work for her she's still putting all of that work-energy into what she can for the family... researching ways to make our dollars stretch for the kids and helping find the best opportunities for them. our kids have ended up at a private school here in the city where my clients' kids go- and they're there for essentially nothing. pennies on a 60k/year tuition (yes... I know. stupid and insane). and most importantly to me... my kids are genuinely thriving and happy- a lot to do with the ground work she's done to find these opportunities for them. they haven't stumbled into any lucky opportunities... 100% because of the planning, consideration and leg-work she's done since day 1. 15yo is fairly self sufficient at this point, but would never have time, wherewithal or know-how to find the things she finds for him. 11yo even less so. she's not involved in how he or our daughter do the things she finds for them... but helps find them, and helps me by finding them in ways that we can afford.

so **** me for even letting this conversation getting to a point where "wtf doesn't she want to work" was even part of it.

Have only read the first and last 2 pages, but have you considered offering the landlord some of your professional services in exchange for keeping the rent down (or cheaper even, depending on if he has more work)? Surely he's interested in updating some of his properties (like what you've done to yours) to increase their value. Maybe he'd be willing to work out some sort of deal.

Good luck GB EF.
look man, whatever you've heard about my adventures in the sack... I don't think our landlord is going to forgive too much of the rent in payment for it. or mabye...

but this isn't a french real estate conglomerate. this is literally a family owned and operated textile business. I can't speak to their "properties", but I think this may be it- purchased on the cheap for when they had a NYC office (based in the apt). they closed the office, and we are the only tenant they've had- their employee actually showed us the apartment himself (which wife and I snapped up on the spot with check in hand... where her connection to their company payed dividends). the irony is that when we moved in, it was the nicest apartment of any of our friends. lol... that's changed a bit... but it's still a decent spot.

Seems insane to me that there is a niche industry of super high end architects designing crazy expensive homes and you can’t even afford rent in a half decent area in that city. Feels like you’re getting ripped off from both sides.

Can't tell you how many nights I"ve gotten home to our lovely, but small home after a day spent having the client yell at me because my design of their 3 storey dressing room (with elevator) isn't working out yet how they want.

when I was in HS and told my parents' friend who were architects that I too wanted to be an architect, they all gave me a sideways glance... "you sure?". my first internship in college, one of the partners of a mid-sized successful SF firm doing all kinds of things- not small boutique spot like I'm used to- pulled me aside and asked me directly- "you sure you want to do this?"... after I said yes, he asked me to guess how much he makes. 90k. that's how much he made (granted- in the late 1980s). "you sure you still want to do this?".

I've worked on some 1% or the 1%ers houses. owners of hedgefunds, oil magnates, political movers and shakers, hollywood bigs- all people you've seen heard and read about... and every night I come home to my lovely but small home to a lovely family and while happy about the family, can't help but think I should've listened a little harder to those architects when I was younger. hell- I could've gone into hedgefunds or some other money-making enterprise and retired by now... and NOW become an arhitect and do my own **** without worrying about keeping a roof over my kids' heads
As many of you know, Floppo and I used to work together. I can attest that he is one of the best. But the business is a *****. It is indeed soul sucking to see the amount of money dumped into these homes and the many, many architects, designers, contractors, subs, vendors, struggling just to skim a little out of that flow of money. And every step of the way, the people building these ridiculous (but beautiful) homes would use an army of staff to fight every dime spent. I do not miss it.

One of the worst days of my life was during the '09 financial crisis when I had to lay off one of the senior architects who could only hand draw. He was an artist, one of a few that had his skillset and experience but he couldn't work a computer. I knew it was likely he would never again be able to make a living in the industry. The look on his face was crushing. Thinking about it still causes me a lot of stress.

Many of my life long friends, and my wife, came from that place. I love houses, I love architecture and design, but I could never go back. It's a brutal business.

Man, when I was a kid, I wanted to be an architect. Took every drafting and architecture class available to me in HS. Applied to and was accepted into a five-year architecture program in college. And then proceeded to wash out of the program after only a year. Simply didn’t have the talent to survive. So I respect the hell out of folks that have been able to make a career out of it.

Man, when I was a kid, I wanted to be an architect. Took every drafting and architecture class available to me in HS. Applied to and was accepted into a five-year architecture program in college. And then proceeded to wash out of the program after only a year. Simply didn’t have the talent to survive. So I respect the hell out of folks that have been able to make a career out of it.
LOSER. haha [/nelson] and look what a failure your life turned into.

it wasn't even a real profession until the end of the 19th century... it was a hobby of the rich and elite. so for whatever reason, it's kind of kept that mentality I think.

and it's funny how many people have told me they wanted to be an architect (few going as far as going to school for it, like you). main reasons given for not pursuing:
1- not good at math. lol. math. as if we sit at our desks with an abacus clicking away to help us...I dunno, figure out 3 storey dressing rooms twice the size of my apartment? I came up with an algebraic equation once to help me figure out some window/light/air/something or other calculation. otherwise it's no math or just adding up some stuff with a calculator like anybody else.
2- can't draw a straight line. :shrug: even before computers, we had t-squares and parallel bars with triangles for drawings... nobody ever drew straight lines by freehand. now with computers- fuggedaboudit. I mean... it helps to be able to translate ideas quickly via sketch, but you don't have to be picasso doing it.

As many of you know, Floppo and I used to work together. I can attest that he is one of the best. But the business is a *****. It is indeed soul sucking to see the amount of money dumped into these homes and the many, many architects, designers, contractors, subs, vendors, struggling just to skim a little out of that flow of money. And every step of the way, the people building these ridiculous (but beautiful) homes would use an army of staff to fight every dime spent. I do not miss it.

One of the worst days of my life was during the '09 financial crisis when I had to lay off one of the senior architects who could only hand draw. He was an artist, one of a few that had his skillset and experience but he couldn't work a computer. I knew it was likely he would never again be able to make a living in the industry. The look on his face was crushing. Thinking about it still causes me a lot of stress.

Many of my life long friends, and my wife, came from that place. I love houses, I love architecture and design, but I could never go back. It's a brutal business.

Well that is depressing.

Nick was on the office side of things, so really saw this side of things.

I'd get it at the front end in reviewing bids and prices, not at the back end having to pay the bills. but it was interesting... there were billionaires completely comfortable with pretty much any number that came in... always to a point, until they'd queston why the roofing tile or whatever was over 2mil..but always in places where I was wondering the same thing. but there were also billionaires who made me sacrifice relationships with vendors and subs to nickel and dime every ****ing penny (not really my job) or they felt like they were somehow losing...something. I had one guy tell me- screw it, I'll fix the lighting myself. to save $500 that he felt the electrician was overcharging (he wasn't- industry standard). ok.. you do that.

when I was doing my own stuff, a former employer sent me the divorcee of his main hedgefund owner client to do her NYC townhouse (half a block from the Met museum... billionaire's row). I thought I was on to the rest of my life getting my foot in the door like this... but she screwed me and my single employee out of a crap ton of money (to me- nothing to her) not because she wasn't happy with our work (she was), but because she could.

that was the end of my own work, and about the time I hooked up with Nick- who from that initial gig he laid out for me in interiors world, has basically kept me employed since then (off and on!) with one job leading to the next up until now... all related to that job with Nick.

HFS, Gordon.... enquiring minds want to know... do you have any life outside of the innerwebs?

I'll move on from this thread now. For the sake of an 11 year old, I said what I believed was important to say.

Floppo, like I said before, if you end up having to leave New York entirely, and your 15 year old has a shot at Julliard. You are welcome to reach out to me in private and we can talk if there's something I can do, in part, to help him chase his dream. Your choice. I'll leave that there.

Floppo, have you considered Arkansas yet? I think it may be a great option for you guys.

Haha, this is good schtick. All the talk about leaving Manhattan to build home equity somewhere else cracks me up. Flop doesnt even want to go to Brooklyn. I understand a lot of posters haven't lived in NYC so it's easy to say just move somewhere else but the city is irreplaceable and Flop is in prime downtown Manhattan. There's really nothing like it and with kids I imagine you're even further implanted. I hope everything works out for you. After practically being your neighbor for years, I know how hard it was for me to move on. Good luck!

LOSER. haha [/nelson] and look what a failure your life turned into.

it wasn't even a real profession until the end of the 19th century... it was a hobby of the rich and elite. so for whatever reason, it's kind of kept that mentality I think.

and it's funny how many people have told me they wanted to be an architect (few going as far as going to school for it, like you). main reasons given for not pursuing:
1- not good at math. lol. math. as if we sit at our desks with an abacus clicking away to help us...I dunno, figure out 3 storey dressing rooms twice the size of my apartment? I came up with an algebraic equation once to help me figure out some window/light/air/something or other calculation. otherwise it's no math or just adding up some stuff with a calculator like anybody else.
2- can't draw a straight line. :shrug: even before computers, we had t-squares and parallel bars with triangles for drawings... nobody ever drew straight lines by freehand. now with computers- fuggedaboudit. I mean... it helps to be able to translate ideas quickly via sketch, but you don't have to be picasso doing it.
I'll throw my hat into the "I wanted to be an architect" ring too. I joke that when most kids were drawing superheros or monsters, I was drawing 3 bedroom colonials. I'll never forget, as a kid I had this awesome Crayola drafting set with a movable straight edge, triangles, french curves, and such and I would draw floorplans with that like crazy.

I did all the things, had my parents lobby for special architecture classes in HS (we only did 1 semester of drafting otherwise), went to a special tech school for 1/2 a day my senior year, etc. Even in college my freshman year, our AutoCAD prof got sick and couldn't teach the class, so (after I showed him my portfolio) the substitute had me assist him in teaching and instructing during lab time.

About a year in, for some reason I fell out of love with it and transferred to Graphic Design. My mother almost fainted when I told her....her "1st born, respectable professional architect son" dreams were crushed.

But I was able to make a good living doing design, love creating and now I work for myself in my own studio and adjunct at the same community college that they asked me to transfer to so we could see if "I really liked this design thing" instead of paying for the bigger university I was at. At one studio I worked at, we had online bios and at the bottom of mine I couldn't resist, but I wrote "Look ma...I'm still working!" lol

We expanded our house a few years ago and I got a taste of being an architect again. We designed the extension ourselves and had a blast exploring different layouts and such. WE turned those plans over to a real architect to make them "real", when I went to his office to pick them up I saw a room full of his employees who looked miserable. I really enjoyed doing it again, but IDK if I could have done it for real. I know, just like art and design, there are a few who make it to that elite level and are rolling in money and the 'lifestyle' but IDK if I would have ever gotten to that level if I stayed in it,

**** it. we're moving to florida.
That didn't take long
:lol:

I know you're kidding, I lived in Los Angeles/Santa Monica '00-'08 and thought I would never return to Florida where i'm from
Things change, I feel lucky that I was able to piece my life back together, re-unite and team up with my son, earned a degree from Univ of Miami
Life is a journey, I always came up with my best ideas when my feet were put to the fire.

"If you need any help, give me a holler, I'll be upstairs asleep"
-Clark's Dad

Last edited:
Everyone always says come to Florida, the temperature is great. They neglect to mention the god awful humidity. I'll never forget one trip to Florida I had where my skin felt like the bottom of a postage stamp. Just terrible.

Everyone always says come to Florida, the temperature is great. They neglect to mention the god awful humidity. I'll never forget one trip to Florida I had where my skin felt like the bottom of a postage stamp. Just terrible.

In the same way that some people up north get used to the cold, some folks down south can get used to the humidity.

Laguna beach for the win. The rental prices won’t even bother @floppo.

Wish I was better at internetting. I’d post some sunset pics from main beach where I work. LAM!

Floppo I’m starting a remodel. Wanna do some free consulting? 😂

Love ya brother. I also have some extra scarves if needed.

Wish I was better at internetting. I’d post some sunset pics from main beach where I work. LAM!

SoCal >>>>>>>>>>>>> FLA by a long shot.
I agree that SoCal is a lot more expensive than Florida.

I agree that SoCal is a lot more expensive than Florida.

You get what you pay for, no?
Be Match pretty much sums that up

The politics in Arizona drive me crazy. Assuming the same or worse in Florida along with a WET heat would push me over the edge. I honestly don't think I could do it.

Interesting Times article

But as Ms. Rodney’s own family grew, she found herself living in a cramped one-bedroom rental, where her three children shared a bunk bed in the living room. It was hard to get them into programs that exposed them to green spaces or swim classes. As she scrolled through friends’ social media posts showing off trampolines in spacious backyards in Georgia, the solution became clearer: Leave.

Last summer, the family bought a five-bedroom home in Snellville, Ga.

“I felt like it became increasingly difficult to raise a family in New York,” Ms. Rodney said.

The politics in Arizona drive me crazy. Assuming the same or worse in Florida along with a WET heat would push me over the edge. I honestly don't think I could do it.
Getting a bit more sane here though recently... though that isn't saying much.

May be late here, but OP did point out they're actually only raising it to the market rate, and that he's basically been getting a discount for years.
I think Manhattan property value basically went up 200% in the 2010s so I don't believe anyone there is getting a discount. They are paying astronomical prices but that certainly is their choice. Raising rates regularly with cost of living and the market seems fair. It gives the residents the ability to adjust, plan ahead, etc. Dropping such a huge raise at once makes it impossible for most tenants to make that work.

Florida is fine if you like car washes and storage facilities on every block and infinite billboards featuring either strippers or car accident lawyers.

I mean it was 75 today all day and cloudless so that part rules but there’s a lot to dislike here too. It’s a great place to be outside, surrounded by either your neighbors from up north or the strangest guy you’ve ever seen in your life whose skin resembles fried chicken. He’s holding a Miller lite bottle and mumbling something you can’t hear. Chances are he’s on the run for crimes.

For me it's the heat and mosquitos. Lived there a long time but can't do it anymore. Heck my business is in Florida and I don't even live there.
I look at it like May through September sucks, and I just try to be inside or go swimming. The other 7 months are usually pretty great, and I don’t have to deal with snow and winter. But to each their own.
I live in Michigan. I look at it like January through April sucks, and I just try to be inside or go driving. The other 8 months are usually pretty great, and I don't have to deal with sweltering heat, humidity, bugs, and hurricanes. But to each their own.
I have spent a lot of time in Michigan. That “sucks” part extends out to October imo. There’s no sun for 7 months there. You all look like Casper.

I do love visiting there though.

I've gone back with my wife twice in the dead of winter. Never again. I had nightly nose bleeds because the indoor air is so damn dry. I'm pretty sure my MIL thinks I have a giant cocaine problem.
Are you saying you don't?

I can't afford even a small sized cocaine problem. :bag:
Meth is really cheap

Users who are viewing this thread