What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Landlord of 20 years raising rent 50%, gave us 2 months notice. (1 Viewer)

Some good comments above about some of the difficulties they'll face getting and keeping new tenants
You could even hint how difficult it will be to evict you (and that you don't plan on leaving during the school year or at all) - how backed up New York courts are and the fees and costs associated with that.

After the two (three, really) months pass, you could buy more time by just paying your "normal" rent. They could still move to evict based on the missing 50% increase monies - but once the suit was started all you would owe to cure your default would be that 50% increase money.

This doesn't solve the problem - but buys you more time. Not sure how comfortable you'd be fighting a little "dirty" - but it's an option.
I would absolutely recommend against this route. Let’s be objective here. For 20 years—the landlord has very generously charged the OP a huge discount for rent versus market value. Let’s not act like or treat them as if they are some sort of evil people. The odds are that the OP will never find another landlord in his lifetime that has been more generous than the current landlords have been to him and his family over a very long period of time. Threatening to make their lives miserable through the threat of eviction is not cool morally or karmically. You don’t threaten to hurt people that have been more than generous with your family over the course of many years just because they might not be in a position to volunteer the level of generosity that they were once able to. This is a problem that needs to be discussed with the landlord in a loving/appreciative and honest manner imo. My guess is that the landlord will make any concessions that they can if they are approached in a manner that is one of honesty and thankfulness. It’s not their obligation to offer up their property to a tenant for 50% of market value until the end of time. He’s at their mercy and I think his best bet is to honestly tell the landlord that, to thank them for their generosity throughout the years—and then to tell them the very hard position that he’s in—and to see if he can ask or negotiate for some flexibility. The moment you threaten somebody—their reaction is to be defensive. That is counterproductive to the best interest of the OP.
Get a load of this guy and his sane advice…
He’s one of my favorite posters. Zow has also turned into a very good person for well measured commentary.

Hey, bad news fellas, my rent just skyrocketed

Lemme explain what's wrong with your marriage
So much this. Unreal. Leave the dudes marriage alone.
I hear you. But it’s totally valid to question why she won’t step up to to help mitigate the situation.

Yea, but man, some posters just mercilessly and nastily pounded this. It was unnecessary. Floppo tried to explain some details as to why his wife didn't just run out and sling burgers. And while I totally agree that at some point any non-work excuse isn't acceptable if it means moving when they don't want to, I don't think day one / day two is "some point".
This.
It’s one thing to ask about the wife’s work situation it’s a whole Nother thing to start jumping on divorce and calling his wife out as basically a deadbeat.
The dude is just trying to vent about a frustrating and ****ty situation. For people to start suggesting a family be torn apart is gross.

Some good comments above about some of the difficulties they'll face getting and keeping new tenants
You could even hint how difficult it will be to evict you (and that you don't plan on leaving during the school year or at all) - how backed up New York courts are and the fees and costs associated with that.

After the two (three, really) months pass, you could buy more time by just paying your "normal" rent. They could still move to evict based on the missing 50% increase monies - but once the suit was started all you would owe to cure your default would be that 50% increase money.

This doesn't solve the problem - but buys you more time. Not sure how comfortable you'd be fighting a little "dirty" - but it's an option.
I would absolutely recommend against this route. Let’s be objective here. For 20 years—the landlord has very generously charged the OP a huge discount for rent versus market value. Let’s not act like or treat them as if they are some sort of evil people. The odds are that the OP will never find another landlord in his lifetime that has been more generous than the current landlords have been to him and his family over a very long period of time. Threatening to make their lives miserable through the threat of eviction is not cool morally or karmically. You don’t threaten to hurt people that have been more than generous with your family over the course of many years just because they might not be in a position to volunteer the level of generosity that they were once able to. This is a problem that needs to be discussed with the landlord in a loving/appreciative and honest manner imo. My guess is that the landlord will make any concessions that they can if they are approached in a manner that is one of honesty and thankfulness. It’s not their obligation to offer up their property to a tenant for 50% of market value until the end of time. He’s at their mercy and I think his best bet is to honestly tell the landlord that, to thank them for their generosity throughout the years—and then to tell them the very hard position that he’s in—and to see if he can ask or negotiate for some flexibility. The moment you threaten somebody—their reaction is to be defensive. That is counterproductive to the best interest of the OP.
He’s one of my favorite posters. Zow has also turned into a very good person for well measured commentary.
@ mods can we get signatures back, please? kthxbai

Forget the investing or bitcoin threads, krista’s $100 may have been the best investment in this board’s history.

Forget the investing or bitcoin threads, krista’s $100 may have been the best investment in this board’s history.
$101, I think? @krista4

$101, I think? @krista4
Yep. I'm 0-2. Had $6,000 pledged to get Tim to leave. Instead we lose people like Tanner.

$101, I think? @krista4
Yep. I'm 0-2. Had $6,000 pledged to get Tim to leave. Instead we lose people like Tanner.

We’re all losers in that scenario.

$101, I think? @krista4
Oh yeah that's right you were trying to pay me $100 to leave. :lmao:

That was like 15 years ago now!

$101, I think? @krista4

Think of it as motivation. You became a much better poster, and I take full credit for it.

$101, I think? @krista4

Think of it as motivation. You became a much better poster, and I take full credit for it.
Or... you became more tolerant and understanding?

$101, I think? @krista4

No, in fact I'm old enough now to be a full blown curmudgeon.

$101, I think? @krista4

Great line! Mind if I use it?? Elsewhere, that is, where I'm on a 2-week time-out.

$101, I think? @krista4

New girlfriend?

Some of it is previous looks where the offer was insanely low for scut work. She ran her own company prior to the kids..... so it's partly self worth and feeling like she can offer more supporting the kids. And she has... No hyperbole that my amazing children would still be amazing, but wouldn't be doing any of the amazing things they're doing or where they're doing them.. it's all because of her. She legit kicks *** and has allowed my kids to kick *** too. But like I said... It needs to be explored more fully. We're on a tipping point..... La Floppa is a fashion designer who doesn't drive (or work). Makes those other spots tough for her. .....Would be great if the wife pulled in what's needed to cover the bump. She's insanely talented and should make more than me in her field (which pays more than mine). But she's been out of the work force for essential 15 years (consulting not withstanding) and not sure she'll even get offered anything, let alone at any kind of useful level. But we need to explore it more deeply....LoL... She ain't working food and beverage. But agreed there has to be something out there. We have a lot friends in the industry that must know somebody looking. Swapping the pride otoh... We'll see.

Fml. NYC. Just got the email for the landlord. Been in this spot 20+ years, through a fire and hurricane Sandy. Kids born and raised in this apt and immersed in their lives here. I can barely afford it as it is, and now won't be able to afford anything anywhere remotely near, for them or for me. We're ****ed. My work situation already is a hellhole rife with daily stress, long hours, not enough pay, and not doing what I'm best at and have 25 years experience with. I'm about to implode.

So, from a practical standpoint, let's effort the problem here in a practical manner.

Your wife has a knowledge base in "fashion design" That's a pretty wide range, but let's roll with that for a second. What's not productive is to ask your wife to take X number of years of experience or knowledge in fashion and then she shifts into mechanical engineering. The best option is always to go in the direction where you already have some knowledge, some interests, some contacts, some baseline against the practical mechanics of that area and how it works.

For two years, I had a half ownership stake in a restaurant. Never again. I know for sure that I don't want any part of that industry ever again. But this was a long time ago. Now restaurants come and go, many are started and die off quickly. Many survive for a while and then buckle and fold. It's a hard hard hard business. I was fortunate to exit after two years and get my initial investment back ( however I could not get back my time, blood, stress and toil, but I considered that a learning experience)

You know who did make money? The people and companies who sold the plastic forks. The takeout containers. The industrial grade equipment you needed in the kitchen. The companies that sold the cleaning supplies. Etc, etc. Owning a restaurant outright is a dangerous financial proposition. Owning the company that sells sporks to 50 thousand restaurants however is an entirely different ballgame.

If your wife has a background in how overseas factories operate, how to get things manufactured, the shipping deployment, where to source the best raw materials, what is the most effective kind of stitching, etc, etc. Then there's opportunity there.

Every city needs cops. Every police department has a uniform standard. What do cops need in their uniform deployment that hasn't been made yet? Or something that would make their job far easier?

Nurses, plumbers, lumberjacks, waiters, etc, etc. There are professions and industries where there is a consistent pipeline of workers that are needed to keep society running. What do they need? What don't they have now?

Your wife is likely not going to be the next Vera Wang. She's probably not going to be a titan in the industry. In a traditional sense. But maybe she can make and develop the most effective work glove possible for lumberjacks. Or electricians. Or railroad workers. Maybe her knowledge of the materials and the practical mechanics of the industry, from the ground level, can help her in development. Maybe she won't be a titan in that. But maybe she can pull a decent living wage out of it. Maybe it's just enough to keep your kids in one stable place until they can finish school.

What's wrong with being the person who developed some practical and useful innovations in police uniforms? That might help keep some cops alive. Or make their jobs easier. Or safer. What's wrong with that? I'd say there's a lot to be proud of if someone could do that.

Everyone wants to be Gordon Ramsey. Get a big name. Fame. A TV show. Books. Status. Private plane. People want your autographs. Groupies. All that.

What's wrong with being the person who sells cases of sporks to lots of restaurants? If it puts food on the table for your kids, why does it matter?

This is what I'm talking about regarding "Being Dynamic" If your wife is going to have a hard time finding work in fashion after 15 years on the bench, then go and use that knowledge base, whatever is still left and relevant, to go develop something else.

My first little business was that truck and hauling and deliveries. I wore the same clothes every day. I worked very hard. In the beginning, I still had to eat what other people left behind on their plates. Many nights I went to bed hungry. I spent years in my first place on my own, without a real bed. But I was very proud of myself. Even if the rest of the world probably thought very little of it. I was doing honest work, hard work and heavy toil, but honest work. I was providing a needed service. I was trying to fight my way to something better. I didn't need to win the world in one day. I just needed to win a little more today than I did yesterday. I stood tall. I held my head up high. Even if I was wearing rags, I still did it.

If she's "insanely talented" then she can also "insanely adapt" too.

Make the best nurses uniform. If not that, something else. Make the best hat to wear in the rain. If not that, something else.

Your wife can work in "fashion", just likely not quite like she might find ideal nor within her personal vision of her "dream"

That's what you don't get. If I still had to drive that little truck, if I still had to break my back, even if I still had to eat scraps. I'd still be proud of myself. What am I proud of? That when I was born, the entire world came for me and tried to wipe me off from the face of the planet. I'm proud that I have always stood tall and openly declared war back on the entire world. This old man gives no quarter. He only drops dimes. I don't align my worth with my status. I have many of the trappings, possessions and material items today that our society says and defines as "success"

But real happiness, real contentment, real peace in your heart, it can only come from the inside.

You live in America. There is opportunity here. So much more here than billions of other people have. It's not easy. And the road is painful and dangerous. But the kind of life you want is within your grasp. You have to fight for it.

But what's more important is that the life you need is something you can have today. You clearly don't see it. And that's the real tragedy here.

Some of it is previous looks where the offer was insanely low for scut work. She ran her own company prior to the kids..... so it's partly self worth and feeling like she can offer more supporting the kids. And she has... No hyperbole that my amazing children would still be amazing, but wouldn't be doing any of the amazing things they're doing or where they're doing them.. it's all because of her. She legit kicks *** and has allowed my kids to kick *** too. But like I said... It needs to be explored more fully. We're on a tipping point..... La Floppa is a fashion designer who doesn't drive (or work). Makes those other spots tough for her. .....Would be great if the wife pulled in what's needed to cover the bump. She's insanely talented and should make more than me in her field (which pays more than mine). But she's been out of the work force for essential 15 years (consulting not withstanding) and not sure she'll even get offered anything, let alone at any kind of useful level. But we need to explore it more deeply....LoL... She ain't working food and beverage. But agreed there has to be something out there. We have a lot friends in the industry that must know somebody looking. Swapping the pride otoh... We'll see.

Fml. NYC. Just got the email for the landlord. Been in this spot 20+ years, through a fire and hurricane Sandy. Kids born and raised in this apt and immersed in their lives here. I can barely afford it as it is, and now won't be able to afford anything anywhere remotely near, for them or for me. We're ****ed. My work situation already is a hellhole rife with daily stress, long hours, not enough pay, and not doing what I'm best at and have 25 years experience with. I'm about to implode.

So, from a practical standpoint, let's effort the problem here in a practical manner.

Your wife has a knowledge base in "fashion design" That's a pretty wide range, but let's roll with that for a second. What's not productive is to ask your wife to take X number of years of experience or knowledge in fashion and then she shifts into mechanical engineering. The best option is always to go in the direction where you already have some knowledge, some interests, some contacts, some baseline against the practical mechanics of that area and how it works.

For two years, I had a half ownership stake in a restaurant. Never again. I know for sure that I don't want any part of that industry ever again. But this was a long time ago. Now restaurants come and go, many are started and die off quickly. Many survive for a while and then buckle and fold. It's a hard hard hard business. I was fortunate to exit after two years and get my initial investment back ( however I could not get back my time, blood, stress and toil, but I considered that a learning experience)

You know who did make money? The people and companies who sold the plastic forks. The takeout containers. The industrial grade equipment you needed in the kitchen. The companies that sold the cleaning supplies. Etc, etc. Owning a restaurant outright is a dangerous financial proposition. Owning the company that sells sporks to 50 thousand restaurants however is an entirely different ballgame.

If your wife has a background in how overseas factories operate, how to get things manufactured, the shipping deployment, where to source the best raw materials, what is the most effective kind of stitching, etc, etc. Then there's opportunity there.

Every city needs cops. Every police department has a uniform standard. What do cops need in their uniform deployment that hasn't been made yet? Or something that would make their job far easier?

Nurses, plumbers, lumberjacks, waiters, etc, etc. There are professions and industries where there is a consistent pipeline of workers that are needed to keep society running. What do they need? What don't they have now?

Your wife is likely not going to be the next Vera Wang. She's probably not going to be a titan in the industry. In a traditional sense. But maybe she can make and develop the most effective work glove possible for lumberjacks. Or electricians. Or railroad workers. Maybe her knowledge of the materials and the practical mechanics of the industry, from the ground level, can help her in development. Maybe she won't be a titan in that. But maybe she can pull a decent living wage out of it. Maybe it's just enough to keep your kids in one stable place until they can finish school.

What's wrong with being the person who developed some practical and useful innovations in police uniforms? That might help keep some cops alive. Or make their jobs easier. Or safer. What's wrong with that? I'd say there's a lot to be proud of if someone could do that.

Everyone wants to be Gordon Ramsey. Get a big name. Fame. A TV show. Books. Status. Private plane. People want your autographs. Groupies. All that.

What's wrong with being the person who sells cases of sporks to lots of restaurants? If it puts food on the table for your kids, why does it matter?

This is what I'm talking about regarding "Being Dynamic" If your wife is going to have a hard time finding work in fashion after 15 years on the bench, then go and use that knowledge base, whatever is still left and relevant, to go develop something else.

My first little business was that truck and hauling and deliveries. I wore the same clothes every day. I worked very hard. In the beginning, I still had to eat what other people left behind on their plates. Many nights I went to bed hungry. I spent years in my first place on my own, without a real bed. But I was very proud of myself. Even if the rest of the world probably thought very little of it. I was doing honest work, hard work and heavy toil, but honest work. I was providing a needed service. I was trying to fight my way to something better. I didn't need to win the world in one day. I just needed to win a little more today than I did yesterday. I stood tall. I held my head up high. Even if I was wearing rags, I still did it.

Make the best nurses uniform. If not that, something else. Make the best hat to wear in the rain. If not that, something else.

Your wife can work in "fashion", just likely not quite like she might find ideal nor within her personal vision of her "dream"

That's what you don't get. If I still had to drive that little truck, if I still had to break my back, even if I still had to eat scraps. I'd still be proud of myself. What am I proud of? That when I was born, the entire world came for me and tried to wipe me off from the face of the planet. I'm proud that I have always stood tall and openly declared war back on the entire world. This old man gives no quarter. He only drops dimes. I don't align my worth with my status. I have many of the trappings, possessions and material items today that our society says and defines as "success"

But real happiness, real contentment, real peace in your heart, it can only come from the inside.

You live in America. There is opportunity here. So much more here than billions of other people have. It's not easy. And the road is painful and dangerous. But the kind of life you want is within your grasp. You have to fight for it.

But what's more important is that the life you need is something you can have today. You clearly don't see it. And that's the real tragedy here.

Why are you still responding with these long diatribes. Only think the OP wanted to vent a bit and long histories of your restaurant ownership, your homelessness while attacking his wife and life style is just absurd.

Great pep talk, GG. But I'm not too long on saying what someone else understands. The OP and his wife are probably doing the best they know how to do. And probably the best that anyone else could do in their position. So I'll wish 'em well but I have no advice.

@El Floppo sorry to hear this man, it's a crummy situation. I remember all too well when I was a renter and the landlords jacked up rent to the limit legally possible every year.

I've tuned in late here, so maybe this was covered. Have you worked the income side of your situation? If rents have gone up 50% over your tenure there, but your employer hasn't been keeping pace with inflation with raises, maybe you could take that up with them? If not that, it's probably time to look for another job that'll pay more. I figure you're probably good at what you do, you can probably get a better situation elsewhere if this current employer won't work with you. I realize finding a new gig doesn't happen overnight, so maybe a negotiation with the landlord and some temporary belt tightening could get you through until then?

Best of luck. Don't let a small set of the lunkheads here get you down.

Floppy, not to add fuel to the fire, but 20 years is a long time to be paying rent. Do you have any desire to build home equity, or is that simply not a priority compared to living in the city and making sure your kids can attend their school of choice?

$101, I think? @krista4

Hard disagree.

Floppy, not to add fuel to the fire, but 20 years is a long time to be paying rent. Do you have any desire to build home equity, or is that simply not a priority compared to living in the city and making sure your kids can attend their school of choice?

I get the sense his first, second and third priority in life is providing his kids with the best possible education and experience possible. It's his ultimate sacrifice. Things like equity, savings, keeping up with the Jones just don't register. Home equity - if you gave him truth serom - is up there with visiting Mars.

In a lot of ways, it's the most noble thing I've stumbled upon. Floppo wants to sacrifice it all for his kids, his wife and his marriage. It's actually kind of heroic and admirable, at least from where I sit. It's a volume of love that surpasses 11.

I think the landlord is going to see this about Flopp and help his family out. I think it is wonderful that so many of us offered our advice - good and bad - to a guy who deserves it. I like it when the FFA comes together. We need more of this.

Why didn't anybody tell me Zow = Woz? I hate that guy!!!111.

Hang in there buddy. Appealing to the landlord’s sensibilities is a logical first step, you’ll figure it out from there I have no doubt. Keep us updated in the soccer thread so I don’t have to read any of gg’s posts.

But I'm not too long on saying what someone else understands. The OP and his wife are probably doing the best they know how to do. And probably the best that anyone else could do in their position. So I'll wish 'em well but I have no advice.

There are lots of threads where people air their personal dirty laundry here. And I leave them alone. Fundamentally I understand that this is a community and it's difficult, particularly for adult men, where these forums house the majority, to talk about their conflicts and problems. I get that.

I'm speaking up because there's a 90 day clock and there's an 11 year old kid at risk of being untethered. That's it. That's my primary consideration when I post.

You don't have advice, but I have advice here.

I said this back in 2006 or so when I first registered on these forums, the best thing you can do to increase your number of opportunities is to put yourself in the pathway of people with the power to say "Yes" or "No" to the things you want.

For example, back then, I said those looking to find better work or a chance to branch out and lateral in their industry, go join a gym. A gym where those kind of people go. People in power positions have layers around them. To filter people in and out. However at the gym, maybe that hiring manager or executive will see you 3-4 times a week in a different context. They see a young guy and think "This is a good kid, hard worker, good attitude, reliable, shows some integrity, he's a riser, maybe I should help someone like that"

Something I mentioned before is a pathway for some people to get promoted is they smoke. If that sounds bizarre, it's not. If you have a large company and there's a spot where smokers have to go smoke, they go out and smoke. There are no ranks and filters to smokers. Well people small talk. Maybe an entry level guy is smoking and gets to know slightly the executive in a different area of the company who also smokes. They have something in common. The executive knows this kid on a first name basis. Maybe hundreds of people want to get in and network with this executive, but this kid has access. Even if unintended.

So how does this apply to Floppo and his wife? There is heavy competition for "traditionally listed housing" in his area. Expand the network. Expand your pathways. If you have a routine, well odds are people have mined out this routine and those areas. The human race, back in the hunter/gatherer days, when one area was tapped out of resources to survive, they moved forward and kept going, to find new hunting grounds.

If Floppo's wife is not working, she needs to put herself out there to expand the networking range. In places she's never gone before and talking to people she's never interacted with before. Put herself in a position to be known and potentially thought well of by someone with the power to say "Yes" or "No" on a major matter. Or someone who might rent a single room out of their own house to her family. ( What's wrong with four people huddled in one small room if it comes to that? There's nothing wrong with that. At least everyone can stay together. If "Staying Together" isn't enough, then I don't know what to say to someone who operates that way)

You want the truth? Here it is in bright technicolor. Anyone who thinks "scut work" is beneath them and won't bus tables is likely also someone who filters out people by social class and perception of basic socioeconomic hierarchies. That's very limiting. There are people of all kinds and types and backgrounds with different access points and connections.

This was a long time ago, but I used to do some light woodworking and other projects as such, as a side hobby for a while. Tinkering around, being toolsy, that kind of thing. There was a kid back then who worked at a hardware store. Bright. Good problem solver. Good mindset for creativity and thinking outside the box. He could display this while doing his job. Talking to customers. Talking to vendors. Etc, etc. I hired the kid. Now under normal circumstances, his resume would prohibit him from even being short listed. Far far far from that. Also it's not like our typical pathways would normally cross otherwise. I saw potential and carved out a place for that potential. In truth, it was a series of small to medium frequent interactions that left an impression. That impressed me. That's real life. Every opportunity is about a tiny window of time where you can present yourself as impressive. Where you can put that best foot forward.

Les Stroud is a survival trainer. He's had his own TV show a few times through the years. He's very clear about it. In a bad situation, a survival situation, you can't just sit back and wait for opportunity to come to you. You have to put yourself out there and put yourself in the practical pathways where opportunity can happen. Or you can die.

Maybe there's only one real practical option for a living situation that doesn't disrupt the lives of the children for this family ( and I don't mean trying to rely on the mercy of these new landlords) Maybe that opportunity is "non traditional" i.e. someone who wasn't even thinking about renting a room out in the first place. Then you have to go and find it. You have to go and be dynamic about the situation.

Saying "Everything is going to be OK and everything will work out in the end" is not helping. It's enabling. I understand the sentiment, but it's just that, more sentiment.

If you want to find that one diamond in the rough, you need to dig for it. Dig harder than anyone else around you. And if you've given if everything you've got, and it still doesn't work out, then you can have no regrets about if you could have done just one more thing. At least you've set the proper example to your kids on how to problem solve and effort the problem. Game it out. There's a hard clock here and the math doesn't add up. If there wasn't an 11 year old kid at stake, I'd probably walk past this thread.

Here's a hard truth to this life that we have to accept for ourselves as adults and that we have to teach our children to prepare them for this hard brutal world so they can make it - No one is coming to save you. You have to inflict your will upon the world lest you be battered at it's lack of mercy.

Some people here think I'm being too hard. Too rough. Too unsympathetic. This could very well be the only community that Floppo has, it's hard to say, but if that's true, then consider this an intervention.

I messaged and texted with a few of you- had intended to just nuke this from orbit because of the actions of a few jagoffs.

but the rest of you- thank you. for your thoughts, concerns, ideas and care. your actions and time deserve an update.

spoke with the french landlord (owner of a family run french textile company- they do well, but aren't dupont or anything). he immediately apologized for the brunt quality of the email. the idea was to generate conversation about what they felt the apartment should be rented at.

they want us to stay- very happy with us as tenants, don't want to deal with finding new tenants or anything that surrounds that: fixing the place up, finding a property manager, and dealing with the current trend of high turnover younger renters. we have a little bit of a relationship spanning 20 years- not friends, per se, but a decent working relationship. he actually didn't want us to feel poorly about them with this hike, but wanted us to understand that they'd kept things low for a long time because of who we are and have been as tenants and due to extenuating circumstances like the fire in the building (entire building vacated for almost a year during reconstruction) and Covid. we've been more than aware about this and incredibly appreciative straight along until this 50% bump... but glad I talked with him.

we'll make it work. wife has been looking for the right work for a while- one that doesn't compromise the delicate but hard line we're riding between getting FA for the kids or not both now and for upcoming college. but she'll be looking harder for some income as well. otherwise, we've carried some monthly bloat that will be good to get rid of that should basically cover things.

Fml.

NYC. Just got the email for the landlord. Been in this spot 20+ years, through a fire and hurricane Sandy. Kids born and raised in this apt and immersed in their lives here. I can barely afford it as it is, and now won't be able to afford anything anywhere remotely near, for them or for me.

We're ****ed.

My work situation already is a hellhole rife with daily stress, long hours, not enough pay, and not doing what I'm best at and have 25 years experience with.

I'm about to implode.

Hope your Wednesday is going better than mine.
Come to Florida
You might not love it at first
It grows on a lot of folks especially those who migrate from NYC
Much cheaper to live, you'll do rings around a lot of the people who work down here coming from the hustle and bustle of NYC
If not Florida, find a nice place to take a step back and regroup
I understand the pain this must feel like having 20 years invested into the community
Don't take it personally, you did nothing wrong
How you move forward for you and your family is all that should matter right now.

Good Luck and check out some other communities away from NYC, maybe a change of scenery isn't as bad as you think it might be.
I hope some good luck finds you in the coming weeks and you find strength from your loved ones and family

Wanted to add I didn't read past the OP, I'm sure there is a lot I need to catch up on

Awesome update! A good stable renter that takes care of the place is so, so valuable - I’m glad they recognized that. Hopefully they are entertaining a more gradual increase as you work to increase income and cut expenses. Best of luck with everything.

But I'm not too long on saying what someone else understands. The OP and his wife are probably doing the best they know how to do. And probably the best that anyone else could do in their position. So I'll wish 'em well but I have no advice.

There are lots of threads where people air their personal dirty laundry here. And I leave them alone. Fundamentally I understand that this is a community and it's difficult, particularly for adult men, where these forums house the majority, to talk about their conflicts and problems. I get that.

I'm speaking up because there's a 90 day clock and there's an 11 year old kid at risk of being untethered. That's it. That's my primary consideration when I post.

You don't have advice, but I have advice here.

I said this back in 2006 or so when I first registered on these forums, the best thing you can do to increase your number of opportunities is to put yourself in the pathway of people with the power to say "Yes" or "No" to the things you want.

For example, back then, I said those looking to find better work or a chance to branch out and lateral in their industry, go join a gym. A gym where those kind of people go. People in power positions have layers around them. To filter people in and out. However at the gym, maybe that hiring manager or executive will see you 3-4 times a week in a different context. They see a young guy and think "This is a good kid, hard worker, good attitude, reliable, shows some integrity, he's a riser, maybe I should help someone like that"

Something I mentioned before is a pathway for some people to get promoted is they smoke. If that sounds bizarre, it's not. If you have a large company and there's a spot where smokers have to go smoke, they go out and smoke. There are no ranks and filters to smokers. Well people small talk. Maybe an entry level guy is smoking and gets to know slightly the executive in a different area of the company who also smokes. They have something in common. The executive knows this kid on a first name basis. Maybe hundreds of people want to get in and network with this executive, but this kid has access. Even if unintended.

So how does this apply to Floppo and his wife? There is heavy competition for "traditionally listed housing" in his area. Expand the network. Expand your pathways. If you have a routine, well odds are people have mined out this routine and those areas. The human race, back in the hunter/gatherer days, when one area was tapped out of resources to survive, they moved forward and kept going, to find new hunting grounds.

If Floppo's wife is not working, she needs to put herself out there to expand the networking range. In places she's never gone before and talking to people she's never interacted with before. Put herself in a position to be known and potentially thought well of by someone with the power to say "Yes" or "No" on a major matter. Or someone who might rent a single room out of their own house to her family. ( What's wrong with four people huddled in one small room if it comes to that? There's nothing wrong with that. At least everyone can stay together. If "Staying Together" isn't enough, then I don't know what to say to someone who operates that way)

You want the truth? Here it is in bright technicolor. Anyone who thinks "scut work" is beneath them and won't bus tables is likely also someone who filters out people by social class and perception of basic socioeconomic hierarchies. That's very limiting. There are people of all kinds and types and backgrounds with different access points and connections.

This was a long time ago, but I used to do some light woodworking and other projects as such, as a side hobby for a while. Tinkering around, being toolsy, that kind of thing. There was a kid back then who worked at a hardware store. Bright. Good problem solver. Good mindset for creativity and thinking outside the box. He could display this while doing his job. Talking to customers. Talking to vendors. Etc, etc. I hired the kid. Now under normal circumstances, his resume would prohibit him from even being short listed. Far far far from that. Also it's not like our typical pathways would normally cross otherwise. I saw potential and carved out a place for that potential. In truth, it was a series of small to medium frequent interactions that left an impression. That impressed me. That's real life. Every opportunity is about a tiny window of time where you can present yourself as impressive. Where you can put that best foot forward.

Les Stroud is a survival trainer. He's had his own TV show a few times through the years. He's very clear about it. In a bad situation, a survival situation, you can't just sit back and wait for opportunity to come to you. You have to put yourself out there and put yourself in the practical pathways where opportunity can happen. Or you can die.

Maybe there's only one real practical option for a living situation that doesn't disrupt the lives of the children for this family ( and I don't mean trying to rely on the mercy of these new landlords) Maybe that opportunity is "non traditional" i.e. someone who wasn't even thinking about renting a room out in the first place. Then you have to go and find it. You have to go and be dynamic about the situation.

Saying "Everything is going to be OK and everything will work out in the end" is not helping. It's enabling. I understand the sentiment, but it's just that, more sentiment.

If you want to find that one diamond in the rough, you need to dig for it. Dig harder than anyone else around you. And if you've given if everything you've got, and it still doesn't work out, then you can have no regrets about if you could have done just one more thing. At least you've set the proper example to your kids on how to problem solve and effort the problem. Game it out. There's a hard clock here and the math doesn't add up. If there wasn't an 11 year old kid at stake, I'd probably walk past this thread.

Here's a hard truth to this life that we have to accept for ourselves as adults and that we have to teach our children to prepare them for this hard brutal world so they can make it - No one is coming to save you. You have to inflict your will upon the world lest you be battered at it's lack of mercy.

Some people here think I'm being too hard. Too rough. Too unsympathetic. This could very well be the only community that Floppo has, it's hard to say, but if that's true, then consider this an intervention.
Man - how many words do you type per minute? This can’t be all thumbs

Awesome update! A good stable renter that takes care of the place is so, so valuable - I’m glad they recognized that. Hopefully they are entertaining a more gradual increase as you work to increase income and cut expenses. Best of luck with everything.
exactly so.

we're super appreciative of having had a chance to be here as long as we've had with below market rates. we are working out a compromise that raises the rent what it should have been raised over the last 6 years, but not jumping it to what they think market rate currently is.... which it will get to sooner than later as we continue raising the rent in a more typical way (3% year lease, 6% 2 year lease).

right now we want to get our son to college (2 1/2 years) and then see where we are financially and with family needs.

hopefully they take some of their music and become the next Eilish bro/sis team so they can kick in, the selfish little tag-alongs.

I messaged and texted with a few of you- had intended to just nuke this from orbit because of the actions of a few jagoffs.

but the rest of you- thank you. for your thoughts, concerns, ideas and care. your actions and time deserve an update.

spoke with the french landlord (owner of a family run french textile company- they do well, but aren't dupont or anything). he immediately apologized for the brunt quality of the email. the idea was to generate conversation about what they felt the apartment should be rented at.

they want us to stay- very happy with us as tenants, don't want to deal with finding new tenants or anything that surrounds that: fixing the place up, finding a property manager, and dealing with the current trend of high turnover younger renters. we have a little bit of a relationship spanning 20 years- not friends, per se, but a decent working relationship. he actually didn't want us to feel poorly about them with this hike, but wanted us to understand that they'd kept things low for a long time because of who we are and have been as tenants and due to extenuating circumstances like the fire in the building (entire building vacated for almost a year during reconstruction) and Covid. we've been more than aware about this and incredibly appreciative straight along until this 50% bump... but glad I talked with him.

we'll make it work. wife has been looking for the right work for a while- one that doesn't compromise the delicate but hard line we're riding between getting FA for the kids or not both now and for upcoming college. but she'll be looking harder for some income as well. otherwise, we've carried some monthly bloat that will be good to get rid of that should basically cover things.
I’m glad it all worked out and I’m glad that you approached things in a sane/diplomatic/rational and thankful manner with the landlord. As a landlord myself—I can tell you that there is major value in having a trusted and dependable long term tenant that makes us feel confident that our property is being cared for and not neglected. They had shown you kindness and respect over the years through friendly rates—and it sounds like you guys have been model tenants as a way of respecting them back. There was no doubt in my mind that approaching them in a friendly and non-confrontational manner was the best way to achieve the best resolution for both sides. I’m very happy for you and your family.

That's a pretty douchey move for them. Sorry to hear.

Here in Ontario, CAN the maximum increase is about 3% a year. Seems very unfair to not have any limits imposed.

Canada has better laws then the US to protect people unfortunately from Health care to Labor to housing. The US is more of a **** the poor type as long as the big shots get theirs.
You're always free to leave ya know.

Fml.

NYC. Just got the email for the landlord. Been in this spot 20+ years, through a fire and hurricane Sandy. Kids born and raised in this apt and immersed in their lives here. I can barely afford it as it is, and now won't be able to afford anything anywhere remotely near, for them or for me.

We're ****ed.

My work situation already is a hellhole rife with daily stress, long hours, not enough pay, and not doing what I'm best at and have 25 years experience with.

I'm about to implode.

Hope your Wednesday is going better than mine.
Come to Florida
You might not love it at first
It grows on a lot of folks especially those who migrate from NYC
Much cheaper to live, you'll do rings around a lot of the people who work down here coming from the hustle and bustle of NYC
If not Florida, find a nice place to take a step back and regroup
I understand the pain this must feel like having 20 years invested into the community
Don't take it personally, you did nothing wrong
How you move forward for you and your family is all that should matter right now.

Good Luck and check out some other communities away from NYC, maybe a change of scenery isn't as bad as you think it might be.
I hope some good luck finds you in the coming weeks and you find strength from your loved ones and family

Wanted to add I didn't read past the OP, I'm sure there is a lot I need to catch up on
We actually haven’t discussed Florida yet so thank you.

What does the wife do all day at home? I know there's some work trying to get a HS sophomore into Harvard and an 11 year old into the Ford Modeling agency, but that can't be a full time occupation at home, can it?

I would go out of my ever loving mind if I stayed at home all day every day. I kindly told my boss to STFU when he offered me a WFH option during Covid. I get that everybody is different, but I'd go insane being housebound.

The corollary to that is if she's not sitting at home all day every day while the kids are in school and Flop is designing million dollar foyers, what DOES she do? If she's not earning, is she spending? Gym membership? Tanning? Coffee? Just asking, not accusing. Again, I would go crazy being home all day but I suffer from acute cabin fever. I'd have to do something and usually that something involves spending at least a little money (disc golf is free, but gas to get there ain't).

I have so many questions about this.
I easily work >65 hours on a regular week. These hours are filled with stressful, very adult things that require lengthy focus. I'm incredibly drained at the end of each day.

My wife, a stay at home mom, works way harder and more hours than I do.
Are your kids teenagers?

I barely do anything for my teenage son now. I help him with HW when he needs it. Drive him to baseball practice. And cook him dinner. Other than that I barely see him.

I had to help my daughter with some long division yesterday. I got one of the problems wrong. She's in 5th grade. Fifth. Grade.
Relative

That's a pretty douchey move for them. Sorry to hear.

Here in Ontario, CAN the maximum increase is about 3% a year. Seems very unfair to not have any limits imposed.

Canada has better laws then the US to protect people unfortunately from Health care to Labor to housing. The US is more of a **** the poor type as long as the big shots get theirs.
You're always free to leave ya know.

And here we have the Free to leave boomer good to know

Come on down to Florida….half of NY city already has…might as well join em.

In all seriousness….this may be your que to leave NY and look for a better and much cheaper place to live. Think of it as a new slate and a better life.

Wish you and your family the best.
This was a great suggestion
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread