What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lee Evans should ask to be traded (1 Viewer)

chook

Footballguy
I know he just signed a contract extension, but they mean squat these days anyway.

To be the #1 receiver on that team and not even get a sniff of the ball all day is just not on.

Great hands, speed and football brain. If he played for the Colts or Broncos he'd easily be a top-five receiver.

Obviously neither of those teams need him, but anywhere other than Oakland has to be a better place for Evans right about now.

All I can say is wow. I had a lousy 5 point lead, other owner had Evans. Although I didn't say it out loud, I thought I might have a shot as Evans is the type of receiver who can put up a goosegg. Deep threat, never a lot of receptions. But 1 big one and I was toast. Edwards pretty much clinched it with the early 3 picks - never looked downfield after that. I don't think he made eye contact with Evans all night. Zero targets. Unbelievable.

Steve smith is the major exception, countless experts have said the same. I've played football growing up, and I'm 5'8, so believe me when I say he's too short to be a #1 receiver. Most short receivers have help from a bigger, stronger player. Colston/Moore.. Moss/Welker etc. Don't get me wrong there have been some exceptions other then Steve Smith like Santana Moss, Marvin Harrison (not that short but not scraping the sky either). Having been in their position I have a ton of respect for guys like Santana Moss, Smith, Coles.. you play bigger then your body. You can never really go with those jump ball fade routes, you have to totally rely on your speed and precise route running. Big props to the small receivers.

Well maybe he demands that he's traded to a team that has the 'go-to-guy'. He can play, but is wasting his talent in Buffalo.

Steve smith is the major exception, countless experts have said the same. I've played football growing up, and I'm 5'8, so believe me when I say he's too short to be a #1 receiver. Most short receivers have help from a bigger, stronger player. Colston/Moore.. Moss/Welker etc. Don't get me wrong there have been some exceptions other then Steve Smith like Santana Moss, Marvin Harrison (not that short but not scraping the sky either). Having been in their position I have a ton of respect for guys like Santana Moss, Smith, Coles.. you play bigger then your body. You can never really go with those jump ball fade routes, you have to totally rely on your speed and precise route running. Big props to the small receivers.
Evans is 5'10"... that's not really that short. And I think he has all the physical tools to be every bit as good as a Steve Smith or Santana Moss etc., he just needs an offense that will give him those chances and a QB that can make the necessary throws.

Thank you Trent Edwards. I was down 7 with Lynch left v. Evans!

Other than what happened in the game, if Leeeee didn't get any targets, thats simply amazing. He's one of the greatest guys in the NFL for the fact that he never #####ed about getting an extension.

Evans is 5'10"... that's not really that short. And I think he has all the physical tools to be every bit as good as a Steve Smith or Santana Moss etc., he just needs an offense that will give him those chances and a QB that can make the necessary throws.
It's my own opinion.. but I really don't see the Evans love. I mean he's a good receiver but I don't think he's part of the NFL elite. He is a playmaker.. but he doesn't show me the toughness and that scrappy play like Steve Smith does. To each his own, I'm not knocking Evans by any sense of the word but if he is as good as half the people say he is there is really no excuse for not making the plays he's expected to. I mean a lot of guys succeed with raw talent with no QB.. sure, their stats would be a lot higher if they did have that help but they manage to find their ways. Santana was still producing before Jason Cambell, Coles was producing before Favre, Welker was great on Dolphins during one of their dismal seasons. Welker is having another stellar season and I don't think Matt Cassell is that much better then Edwards. Sure Evans is an explosive player... and I'm sure he can succeed on a team with a better offensive team. I just don't think he's built to carry the team.

Thank you Trent Edwards. I was down 7 with Lynch left v. Evans! Other than what happened in the game, if Leeeee didn't get any targets, thats simply amazing. He's one of the greatest guys in the NFL for the fact that he never #####ed about getting an extension.
According to the play by play on NFL.com he was targeted on the first pass, which was picked, and never again for the remaining 59:45.

The problem isn't Evans being too short. How has he done as so well? The problem is Edwards. He is not that good. Average at best and not able to make the deep throw.

To each his own, I'm not knocking Evans by any sense of the word but if he is as good as half the people say he is there is really no excuse for not making the plays he's expected to.
That's cool, it's your own opinion, but did you see the game last night? It didn't matter if it was Jerry Rice out there, if Edwards doesn't ever look for him then how on earth is he supposed to make the play?When his number is dialed, Evans turns up.

**** Jauron plays to lose. I understand that Edwards got off to a lousy start. Three picks is ridiculous. However, you can't take 3/4 of the field away from your team and expect to win. Roethlisberger has had some pretty ugly games this year and in the past but they don't limit him to dump offs. If you don't want your QB to go through growing pains then spend the money on a proven veteran; though I don't know any teams that are willing to give up a good QB (Schaub has had some stinkers in the last two years). You don't develop chemistry/timing with a player unless you throw him the ball.

Looks like Donnie Avery, Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson ought to start looking for bar tending jobs; too short to be #1 wide receivers. But of course there seems to be a shortage of CJ's, FItzy's and TO's any-who.

That was a pathetic performance by Edwards. He should not have been in that game after that 3rd pick. He couldnt complete a pass other than a dump off. Really an embarrasing night for the Bills

I think the Bills are a QB, a #2 WR, and a Safety away from being an outstanding football team.

They should trade for a Collins type next year and make a run for the SB.

Lynch runs harder than ANY back in football, including ADP.

Wow, really, you played in the NFL?

That was a pathetic performance by Edwards. He should not have been in that game after that 3rd pick. He couldnt complete a pass other than a dump off. Really an embarrasing night for the Bills
:thumbdown: It's pretty clear that Edwards doesn't even attempt to look downfield. Teams can easily stack 8 in the box because they know that Edwards isn't throwing deep. And his one strength, his accuracy, wasn't even close last night. And I don't think that it's just the conservative playcalling nature of Schonert/Jauron. Almost as soon as Losman was in against the Cardinals, he threw a deep bomb to Evans. It's either a limitation to Edwards's arm or he just doesn't feel comfortable making those throws.

:goodposting: It's pretty clear that Edwards doesn't even attempt to look downfield. Teams can easily stack 8 in the box because they know that Edwards isn't throwing deep. And his one strength, his accuracy, wasn't even close last night. And I don't think that it's just the conservative playcalling nature of Schonert/Jauron. Almost as soon as Losman was in against the Cardinals, he threw a deep bomb to Evans. It's either a limitation to Edwards's arm or he just doesn't feel comfortable making those throws.
Well isn't that the problem with Losman, he throws it deep to Evans whether he is open or not? Edwards may not be able to throw the ball 50 yards on a rope but it doesn't mean that the coaching staff can't come up with intermediate routes to Evans that Edwards can hit. How many deep balls has Cassel thrown this year? With Moss double covered, at a minimum, Cassel is not throwing the ball down field. He has Welker to fall back on along with Gaffney and others (if they hold on to the ball). Who does Edwards have to throw to? It appears it is Jackson, Lynch and occasionally Royal. I am sure Edwards has his physical limitations but you better hope that he and the team can work through the issues affecting them or it's back to square one.

:goodposting: It's pretty clear that Edwards doesn't even attempt to look downfield. Teams can easily stack 8 in the box because they know that Edwards isn't throwing deep. And his one strength, his accuracy, wasn't even close last night. And I don't think that it's just the conservative playcalling nature of Schonert/Jauron. Almost as soon as Losman was in against the Cardinals, he threw a deep bomb to Evans. It's either a limitation to Edwards's arm or he just doesn't feel comfortable making those throws.
Well isn't that the problem with Losman, he throws it deep to Evans whether he is open or not? Edwards may not be able to throw the ball 50 yards on a rope but it doesn't mean that the coaching staff can't come up with intermediate routes to Evans that Edwards can hit. How many deep balls has Cassel thrown this year? With Moss double covered, at a minimum, Cassel is not throwing the ball down field. He has Welker to fall back on along with Gaffney and others (if they hold on to the ball). Who does Edwards have to throw to? It appears it is Jackson, Lynch and occasionally Royal. I am sure Edwards has his physical limitations but you better hope that he and the team can work through the issues affecting them or it's back to square one.
Yeah, Losman didn't always make the best decisions, but you can't tell me that Evans just hasn't been open deep all year with Edwards at QB. Edwards has thrown one or two deep to him, (I can think of one in particular), and it was picked off because it was badly underthrown. I just don't think that he has the arm. At this point, I'm not sure that he even has enough zip to make the intermediate throws over the middle of the field.

I think the Bills are a QB, a #2 WR, and a Safety away from being an outstanding football team.They should trade for a Collins type next year and make a run for the SB.Lynch runs harder than ANY back in football, including ADP.
Now that is just an ignorant statement. ADP runs MUCH harder than Lynch. I don't even think you can compare the two.

I think the Bills are a QB, a #2 WR, and a Safety away from being an outstanding football team.They should trade for a Collins type next year and make a run for the SB.Lynch runs harder than ANY back in football, including ADP.
Now that is just an ignorant statement. ADP runs MUCH harder than Lynch. I don't even think you can compare the two.
vikingsguy, what could be influencing your opinion?I actually like the guys comment. Last night I saw some stuff about Lynch I hadn't before. He was trying SO hard but had NO room to run. I dont know if he always plays like that, but last night he sure did run hard.

Watching the game last night Edwards never looks downfield, always to the side the checksdown right away.

One time late in the game he looked dowfield and made a nice throw..thats it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edwards was developing pretty nicely through the beginning of the year. He hasn't looked the same since coming back from the bye/concussion. He certainly needs to show improvement between now and the end of the year to give the team, and himself, some hope. The team's record is the result of an aggregate of problems from coaching to injuries to line play and a lack of productive depth at wide receiver. It appears that the Bill's chances for the playoffs are all but gone. The hope has to be for growth and improvement amongst the younger players and the coaching staff.

Are you really saying that because you're 5'8'' you can understand what it's like to be too small to be a number one NFL receiver? Unless your Wayne Chrebet, I don't think this is an apt comparison. No offense. I do agree with your assessment of the height, however, and think that most number ones are pretty big.

According to NFL.com:

Jennings : 5'11 197

Santana Moss: 5'10 200

Steve Smith: 5'9 185

Lav Coles: 5'11 193

Derick Mason: 5'10 192

These guys have all been EXCELLENT #1s at different point in their careers. Evans is listed at 5'10 197. Size should not prevent him from being a #1 receiver. Right now, what is preventing him from being a #1 receiver is a QB/coach (whichever) that doesn't throw the ball to him.

No surprise, Lee Evans is too short to be a #1 WR.
This is really bad posting. One, because Evans is a great player and has shown he can go across the middle better than some WRs with prototypical size. Two, because there have been plenty of great "short" WRs to do very well in the league.

Bills will never be a playoff team or even expect to win a playoff game if they don't even look to get the ball into one of their best players hands. I thought Edwards play last night was pathetic albeit all the dumpoffs to Lynch. I won't draft Evans next year if Edwards is the QB.He's killing his career. Yeah, I think Evans needs to get away from Buffalo. He's just becoming too inconsistent to rely on. Plenty of other #2 wr's on teams I'd rather go with at this point. I'd sooner play Eddie Royal(a rookie at that yet),Vincent Jackson or even Kevin Walter than to have Evans in my lineup. Sad, Evenscould bea top 10 guy too. He's even in the top 15 in scoring in one of my moneyleagues. Thank god I have Jennings, Marshall and Royal to pick up Evans' slack.

According to NFL.com:

Jennings : 5'11 197

Santana Moss: 5'10 200

Steve Smith: 5'9 185

Lav Coles: 5'11 193

Derick Mason: 5'10 192

These guys have all been EXCELLENT #1s at different point in their careers. Evans is listed at 5'10 197. Size should not prevent him from being a #1 receiver. Right now, what is preventing him from being a #1 receiver is a QB/coach (whichever) that doesn't throw the ball to him.
:lmao: Again, he needs to ask for a trade away from Buffalo if Edwards/Jauron are still starting/coaching next year.

Edwards did not even look at Evans in his progressions yesterday, and Jauron should have pulled him because of this.

Seattle need receivers, but I don't know if Hass will ever be much again anyway. Trying to think of other teams that could utilize Evans' skills in 2009.

Why did Evans resign was my question? He must like it there in Buffalo :lmao:
Where else can he make that much money while being so underused? It would be like being a lawyer, signing with a top firm, and then them giving you a light case load. Your work load is not that heavy and you are still making a crap load of money. That is appealing to some.

Why did Evans resign was my question? He must like it there in Buffalo :lmao:
Where else can he make that much money while being so underused? It would be like being a lawyer, signing with a top firm, and then them giving you a light case load. Your work load is not that heavy and you are still making a crap load of money. That is appealing to some.
He just doesn't seem to be that kind of guy.

I was down by 5 points with Evans still to play ... planned to put the "W" in my pocket!

Rats!

I think Edwards targeted the chain-gang officials more often than Evans!

Waiver list, here he comes!

Interesting thread, with diverse opinions galore.

Evans is like Dave Kingman was... a home run hitter with a lousy average. Edwards does not have the abilty it seems to hit Evans with long bombs, and I think Jauron and staff know that. So, they simply attempt to use him as a decoy, but other NFL teams aren't taking the bait. Buffalo has a QB problem. They have had a QB problem since Kelly retired. This isn't the team that should go after Matt Cassel. He like Edwards isn't real accurate on deep throws. Edwards is to Evans as Cassel is to Moss.

As for Lynch, I think he dances too much behind the LoS. Once he gets to the second level, he runs hard. Jauron can see that... so he uses Jackson for the tough inside yards. Lynch is more than a CoP RB, but I wonder how much more. I don't think he is a real good every down RB. He seems to better in an RBBC than as a feature back.

Are you really saying that because you're 5'8'' you can understand what it's like to be too small to be a number one NFL receiver? Unless your Wayne Chrebet, I don't think this is an apt comparison. No offense. I do agree with your assessment of the height, however, and think that most number ones are pretty big.
People are so literal... lol. I'm not saying I played in the NFL or that I know what its like to be a #1 receiver in the NFL. I'm just comparing it to the experiences I had being below average height for a position. I give major props to guys like Lee Evans and them because they actually made it to the NFL... to me they have that much more talent then the Colstons and Brandon Marshalls. They don't have the ability to get rebound position and just use their body to snatch the ball out of the air. It's more a game of finesse and running a precise route. You will never see a short NFL receiver that isn't one of two things... an extremely good route runner or extremely fast.Its funny you mention Chrebet... one of my all-time favorites. Actually had the chance of getting to know him. I used to serve tables at Outback Steakhouse while I was in collge and all the New York Jet's used to eat there. I've served him, Testeverde, Coles, Pennington... all very cool down to earth guys. The only one that had a slight attitude at that time was Coles, the guy used to wear earrings the size of our plates in his ear. That was when he was younger though and before he got traded to the Redskins, he might be a little more humble now that he's older. I also went into Chrebets restaurant that was about 10-15 minutes from my house and used to talk to him quite often because he remembered me, ate on the house a few times. He's an extremely classy guy, a little punch drunk now though. He just sold the place a few months ago, business in that area is terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't think of a more limited starting QB in the entire league right now than Edwards. He's a piece of garbage.

:thumbup: Evans is a fantastic receiver. Despite the team struggling mightily and having Losman throw to him for a few years, he still put up respectablenumbers... no excuse for Edwards to not even look his way.

MBIII might be the closest comparison IMO, but I agree.I think Hardy will develop into a nice complement to Evans. Cassel might be a nice fit..? But as we've seen this year with Moss, he wouldn't help Evans deep-ball ability.All in all, I agree...they are a few pieces short of being a very good team.

The most interesting thing is how the "Trent Edwards for MVP" posts have completely dried up. Maybe it's because Edawrds has been the MVP in Bills' games lately - for the Bills' opponents.

The first pick wasn't Edwards' fault - that a great play by Rogers to tip the ball at the line. The next 2 were horrible throws.

It's a little early to start writing off Trent Edwards....

I think the Bills are a QB, a #2 WR, and a Safety away from being an outstanding football team.

They should trade for a Collins type next year and make a run for the SB.

Lynch runs harder than ANY back in football, including ADP.
MBIII might be the closest comparison IMO, but I agree.

I think Hardy will develop into a nice complement to Evans.

Cassel might be a nice fit..? But as we've seen this year with Moss, he wouldn't help Evans deep-ball ability.

All in all, I agree...they are a few pieces short of being a very good team.
If he is, I haven't seen it. He was bypassed by a 7th round pick on the depth chart this week.

According to NFL.com:Jennings : 5'11 197Santana Moss: 5'10 200Steve Smith: 5'9 185Lav Coles: 5'11 193Derick Mason: 5'10 192These guys have all been EXCELLENT #1s at different point in their careers. Evans is listed at 5'10 197. Size should not prevent him from being a #1 receiver. Right now, what is preventing him from being a #1 receiver is a QB/coach (whichever) that doesn't throw the ball to him.
It's not their size. It's the QB and the fact that most of them had legitimate #2 receiving threats. Jennings has had Driver drawing coverage away from him. Moss had Coles in NY, and Cooley had 70+ catches in his only big year in Washington (before this year). Smith is an anomaly...he's a great WR. Coles had Moss and now has Cotchery. Mason, in the prime of his career in his TEN years, had guys like Drew Bennett and Justin McCareins to draw coverage away. Not superstars, obviously, but guys who were legitimate threats to have 800-1000 yards receiving in a season.The main issue with Evans, other than ####ty QB play, is that right now, there's no #2 WR. Stevie Johnson started last night. The Browns singled up on Johnson all night while bracketing Evans with a short zone by the CB and safety help over the top. The only times Evans was ever open was down the deep sideline, a throw the Browns knew Edwards wasn't going to attempt after the 3 INTs.When Josh Reed was playing, there was someone to take heat off of Evans. Now, I'm the biggest Josh Reed lover here, but even I'll admit that he's a ####ty #2 WR. But with Reed out, no defenses are scared of Stevie Johnson or James Hardy. Parrish maybe, but he only plays in the slot.Hardy was supposed to be this guy. He's a long way away....

So is there any chance he gets traded? He'd be money having Carson Palmer throw to him.

...err, well, maybe.

I don't care who's to blame, Evans is on my bench until further notice. I'll play guys like Gage, Avery, Breaston and even Mark Bradley or Ted Ginn before I'll play him anymore. There's no way he gets much in the way of points the way that team is playing right now.

Users who are viewing this thread