What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk draft strategy Re-drafts Pick#1 (1 Viewer)

Just couldn't get over how low Vick fell....
It's probalby because he sucks, fantasy wise. I'll sum it up this way:You never know which week he's gonna throw for 180-2 and run for another 120-1, and so you play him every week, and most weeks he goes for 118-0-1 and 80-0.

I'd rather not have the headache.
Exactly my thoughts at the time I pondered between picking him or Brady in Round 7. All the other "top-tier" QBs were already off the board at the time...so I went with consistency and potential rather than flash I guess.

Had the 1st pick in a 12 man league (redraft) and this is what my team is looking like.

What do you guys think

1.01 – LT

2.12–Marvin Harrison

3.12–Warrick Dunn (Rb went fast this was the best left)

4.01– Tont Gonzalez (couldn’t just leave him there)

5.05- Marc Bugler (other top 4qb gone)

6.08- Buffalo (to early but Balt gone)

7.01-Travs Henry

8.12–Ashley Leslie

9.12-Moe Williams

10.01-Larry Fitzgerald

11.08–Eric Johnson

12.05– Steve Mcnair

13.01-A Tommer

14.12–Eric Shelton

15.12–John Kasay- (what do you guys think)

16.01– Neil Rackers (???????)

We start 1qb 2rb 2wr 1TE, 1pk 1def

Picking a def in the 5th was to early but , I frick out i guess when all the rb were gone and 4 top qb were gone and 2 def were gone . now that i think about it it was a dum move. I saw Labrandon  Toefield on ww i my try to pick him up
Unless your league treats defenses like royalty, Buffalo in the 6th is too early by a large margin. I'm also not so sure about Moe in the 9th. He's gone late or undrafted in some of my drafts. Shelton, on the other hand, has gone in the 8th . . .
How has Labrandon Toefield been drafting in what round if any because i saw him on ww
Ministry of Pain

how do you think i did in my draft ????
LT...anchorHarrison...anchor

Gonzalez...anchor

Bulger...top3-5 QB most likely

Buffalo...anchor

You did well. You have some explosive potential.

I have the 1st pick in one of my 10 tm perf lgs, where we start 1 qb 2rb 2wr 1 te etc. Its a non ppr performance league with 1/10 ru&re and 1/25 pa. w/ 6pt tds.

We have guys that have relocated to new england during their college years and have never left. So this can throw off your drafting strategy and create some interesting scenarios.

Some guys that might be available for my 2nd & 3rd picks are as follows;

(1) Gonzalez is ranked 14th overall in our scoring and obviously a tier 1 TE.

(2) Mcnabb is a tier 2 QB and ranked 17th overall.

(3) Other guys that might be projected higher than Mcnabb and still available are one of my tier 1 WRs like Holt, CJ, or Owens. They all wont slip, but one might and usually does.

(4) There will be some 3rd tier RBs around too, but based on VBD for my league, they dont appear to hold the same value has guys mentioned above and are ranked lower overall. Guys like Barber, Martin, Westbrook, and Sjax could be around.

The "stud rb guy" in me wants to go for RB/QB, but the "QBBC" guy inside says go RB/WR. The darkside of me says get Mcnabb and Gonzalez...as that would give me 3 of the top 17 guys on my board. Imagine LT/Mcnabb/Gonzalez in this scoring system?

Had my draft last night....10 team redraft, standard perf scoring, 3 WR league.

I decided going in that I was going WR-WR at the 20-21 turn, hoping that one of my group of top 20 backs would fall to me at 40-41. If not, I was going to take Dunn-Arrington.

Well, it paid off.

I started a WR run that I expected in the 3rd and 4th rounds, but what I didn't expect was for Fred Taylor, Tatum Bell, and Carnell Williams to go before my 40th pick.

That left Brian Westbrook there for me at #40!

I followed that up with Dunn.

Then, in the 6th round, Marc Bulger slipped to me after the Big 3 QBs and Collins and Green went first.

Here's how my lineup came out:

QB - Bulger, Carr, Garcia

RB - LT, Westbrook, Dunn, Larry Johnson, Duckett, SDavis

WR - Holt, CJ, Jimmy Smith, Moulds

PK - Elam, Stover

D - Car, NO

Definitely the year to wait on RB!!

I decided going in that I was going WR-WR at the 20-21 turn, hoping that one of my group of top 20 backs would fall to me at 40-41. If not, I was going to take Dunn-Arrington.

Well, it paid off.

I started a WR run that I expected in the 3rd and 4th rounds, but what I didn't expect was for Fred Taylor, Tatum Bell, and Carnell Williams to go before my 40th pick.

Then, in the 6th round, Marc Bulger slipped to me after the Big 3 QBs and Collins and Green went first.

PK - Elam, Stover

D - Car, NO

Your league seems a bit dopey. Hard to see that happening elsewhere. Westbrook falling that far? Bulger? Strange.

Well, it paid off.

PK - Elam, Stover

D - Car, NO

That's a great team. I am thinking of WR/WR tomorrow in the #9 spot in a 10 team re-draft...hoping RB fall to me at 3.09/4.02

Drafted tonight from 1.1, we start 1qb, 2rb, 2wr and 1 flex (QB, RB or WR) and based on DD and VBD, it was obvious that I wanted to be able to start 2 QB each week.1.1 LT22.12 Westbrook3.1 Curtis Martin4.12 Bulger5.1 Kerry Collins6.12 Driver7.1 Jimmy Smith8.12 Isaac Bruce9.1 Mike Anderson10.12 B Leftwich11.1 Travis Taylor QB: Bulger, Collins, LeftwichRB: LT2, Westrbook, C-Mart, Mike AndersonWR: Driver, Jimmy Smith, Bruce, T-TaylorI was hoping other WR would fall but I expectd this when I decided to wait for WR until the 6th, but over all I am very happy

I decided going in that I was going WR-WR at the 20-21 turn, hoping that one of my group of top 20 backs would fall to me at 40-41.  If not, I was going to take Dunn-Arrington.

Well, it paid off.

PK - Elam, Stover

D - Car, NO

That's a great team. I am thinking of WR/WR tomorrow in the #9 spot in a 10 team re-draft...hoping RB fall to me at 3.09/4.02
MOP-We had a guy go WR/WR in the 12 spot tonight. He got Moss/Harrison, but his RBs will be a week-to-week shuffle: Arrington, T-Jones, Bennett, Moore and Ricky Williams. It is a group with potential, but no winners for sure....

Good Luck

Drafted tonight from 1.1, we start 1qb, 2rb, 2wr and 1 flex (QB, RB or WR) and based on DD and VBD, it was obvious that I wanted to be able to start 2 QB each week.

1.1 LT2

2.12 Westbrook

3.1 Curtis Martin

4.12 Bulger

5.1 Kerry Collins

6.12 Driver

7.1 Jimmy Smith

8.12 Isaac Bruce

9.1 Mike Anderson

10.12 B Leftwich

11.1 Travis Taylor

QB: Bulger, Collins, Leftwich

RB: LT2, Westrbook, C-Mart, Mike Anderson

WR: Driver, Jimmy Smith, Bruce, T-Taylor

I was hoping other WR would fall but I expectd this when I decided to wait for WR until the 6th, but over all I am very happy
Very nice draft.

My team from the 1 spot (12 teams, start 1 QB/ 2 RB/ 2WR/ 1 TE/ 1 K/ 1 DTMy league went running back crazy. All of the top 19 backs were gone at 2.12.1.1 ---LT2.12--Culpepper3.1---Holt4.12--Steve Smith5.1---Todd Heap6.12- Chris Brown7. 1--Thomas Jones8.12--Pittsburgh D9.1---Travis Henry10.12-Mewelde Moore11.1--Ricky Williams12.12-TJ Houshmanzadeh13.1--Doug Jolley14.12-Brandon Lloyd15.1--Antonio Bryant

Your league seems a bit dopey. Hard to see that happening elsewhere. Westbrook falling that far? Bulger? Strange.
I dunno. It's a very competitive league...SB winner last year was 6-7 during the season. Not everyone has Westbrook ranked that high, especially someone who doesn't come here.I think it emphasizes the fact that RB is deep this year, and waiting until the 40th pick could really pay off for some.

12 team redraft1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex (RB or WR), 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DSTPPR for RB & TE4 pts for TD (QB, RB, WR, TE, DST)PP 75 passingPP 30 Rushing, ReceivingK scored on FG only1.01 LT2.12 Westbrook3.01 Kevin Jones4.12 Cadillac Williams5.01 Witten6.12 M. Hasselback7.01 Jimmy Smith8.12 A. Brooks9.01 Thomas Jones10.12 Keyshawn11.01 Antonio Bryant12.12 Stover13.01 Randy Mcmichael14.12 Bobby Engram15.01 Michael Turner16.12 Willie Parker17.01 Josh Brown18.12 Colts DWould love some feedback. I think I'm the only team that can start 4 RB weekly.

12 team redraft

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex (RB or WR), 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST

PPR for RB & TE

4 pts for TD (QB, RB, WR, TE, DST)

PP 75 passing

PP 30 Rushing, Receiving

K scored on FG only

1.01 LT

2.12 Westbrook

3.01 Kevin Jones

4.12 Cadillac Williams

5.01 Witten

6.12 M. Hasselback

7.01 Jimmy Smith

8.12 A. Brooks

9.01 Thomas Jones

10.12 Keyshawn

11.01 Antonio Bryant

12.12 Stover

13.01 Randy Mcmichael

14.12 Bobby Engram

15.01 Michael Turner

16.12 Willie Parker

17.01 Josh Brown

18.12 Colts D

Would love some feedback. I think I'm the only team that can start 4 RB weekly.
This dumbfounds me. Similarly, I just did a 10 team redraft (standard perf scoring with PPR) and was amazed to get Westbrook @ 2.09 (after Holmes @ 1.02).I had planned on going with 2 stud WRs (could have had Holt & CJ), but I couldn't pass up Westbrook at RB 11 or 12. I wound up getting CJ on the way back.

Here are my results. with some commentary.1. Tomilinson2. C Martin - He was the last RB on my board. McNabb and Culppeper were both gone so it made this choice easy. Thought Westbrook was going to fall but he went at 2.113. T O - He was my 2nd WR on the board. CJ & Moss were already gone4. Thomas Jones - As a third RB, I liked this option. Plus, Benson hadn't signed yet.5. Antonio Gates - Gonzo went off the board in the 3rd so I was targeting or Whitten here. I like his TD potential so I went with Gates6. T Brady. Might have been early but he was the last of the QBs on my list.7. Kennison - I needed a 2nd WR. Picking were slim8. Mewelde Moore - Not sold on Bennett being the starter and I think his potential is huge, esp for rec TD9. Ricky Williams. - When the 11 other guys groan and call you names, you know you made the right selection.10. Aaron Brooks I though he was a nice 2nd QB and when he was still around, I didn't really like any of my other options.11. K Colbert - Hoping he steps it up and turns into a later round gem.12. C Cooley - having an option of starting 2 TE and seeing him on the board was a great value pick IMO13. B Lloyd - Wasn't really happy with this pick but there really were many WR left on the board and I am hoping he can be a decent fill in for the bye weeks14. Redskins - most other teams had their D and the Skins were still on the board so it was an easy pick15. J Brown - Needed a kicker and was suprised to still see him on the board.I'll fill my 2nd K & D thru FA.Overall I'm pretty happy with this draft. From picks 1-23, 3 QB, 18 RB and 2 WR went off the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
12 team redraft last night from the first slotstart 1 qb, 2rb, 3wr, te, k, defall td worth 6, cept' qb worth 31 pt per 20 passing and 1 for 10 rush/receive1.01 Tomlinson2.12 Harrison3.01 HOlt4.12 Drew Bennett5.01 DUnn6.12 Brady7.01 Chris Brown8.12 Tatum Bell9.01 Antonio Bryant10.12 McNair11.01 Mewelde Moore12.12 Travis Taylor13.1 TB defense14.12 Cooley15.1 Givens16.12 StoverThere was a huge run on RB's in the first 23 picks: only 2 qb, 2wr and 1 te taken along with 18 backs, the last back staring me in the face was Westbrook and as badly as i wanted to take him i went for the strong receiver combo - i think it will be easier to find a rb2 then mess with wr2 all year long.I reached for antonio bryant big time but i had planned to take 2 of three at that point: driver, shockey and bell. Driver and shockey went right in of me and suddenly i was on the clock. at that point i figured i would just add depth to my wr corps as i already had 4 rb's and was not in love with anything else left on the board. I was very happy to get both travis taylor and m. moore (crossing fingers that he can stay healthier than bennett). I had no intention of getting involved in the denver rb mess but when bell kept falling i figured, what the heck?i only took givens because he was just sitting there - unbelievably in round 15 - i figure he may be ok this year as the pats may need to score more points to win given their defense is weaker, IMHO, as in years' past.

12 team redraft last night from the first slot

start 1 qb, 2rb, 3wr, te, k, def

all td worth 6, cept' qb worth 3

1 pt per 20 passing and 1 for 10 rush/receive

1.01 Tomlinson

2.12 Harrison

3.01 HOlt

4.12 Drew Bennett

5.01 DUnn

6.12 Brady

7.01 Chris Brown

8.12 Tatum Bell

9.01 Antonio Bryant

10.12 McNair

11.01 Mewelde Moore

12.12 Travis Taylor

13.1 TB defense

14.12 Cooley

15.1 Givens

16.12 Stover

There was a huge run on RB's in the first 23 picks: only 2 qb, 2wr and 1 te taken along with 18 backs, the last back staring me in the face was Westbrook and as badly as i wanted to take him i went for the strong receiver combo - i think it will be easier to find a rb2 then mess with wr2 all year long.

I reached for antonio bryant big time but i had planned to take 2 of three at that point: driver, shockey and bell. Driver and shockey went right in of me and suddenly i was on the clock. at that point i figured i would just add depth to my wr corps as i already had 4 rb's and was not in love with anything else left on the board. I was very happy to get both travis taylor and m. moore (crossing fingers that he can stay healthier than bennett). I had no intention of getting involved in the denver rb mess but when bell kept falling i figured, what the heck?

i only took givens because he was just sitting there - unbelievably in round 15 - i figure he may be ok this year as the pats may need to score more points to win given their defense is weaker, IMHO, as in years' past.
You mention that Tatum Bell just kept on falling. I take it Mike Anderson went much earlier. Where was Anderson drafted, if you recall?

12 team redraft last night from the first slot

start 1 qb, 2rb, 3wr, te, k, def

all td worth 6, cept' qb worth 3

1 pt per 20 passing and 1 for 10 rush/receive

1.01  Tomlinson

2.12 Harrison

3.01  HOlt

4.12 Drew Bennett

5.01 DUnn

6.12  Brady

7.01 Chris Brown

8.12 Tatum Bell

9.01 Antonio Bryant

10.12 McNair

11.01 Mewelde Moore

12.12 Travis Taylor

13.1 TB defense

14.12 Cooley

15.1 Givens

16.12 Stover

There was a huge run on RB's in the first 23 picks: only 2 qb, 2wr and 1 te taken along with 18 backs, the last back staring me in the face was Westbrook and as badly as i wanted to take him i went for the strong receiver combo - i think it will be easier to find a rb2 then mess with wr2 all year long.

I reached for antonio bryant big time but i had planned to take 2 of three at that point: driver, shockey and bell.  Driver and shockey went right in of me and suddenly i was on the clock.  at  that point i figured i would just add depth to  my wr corps as i already had 4 rb's and was not in love with anything else left on the board.  I was very happy to get both travis taylor and m. moore (crossing fingers that he can stay healthier than bennett).  I had no intention of getting involved in the denver rb mess but when bell kept falling i figured, what the heck?

i only took givens because he was just sitting there - unbelievably in round 15 - i figure he may be ok this year as the pats may need to score more points to win given their defense is weaker, IMHO, as in years' past.
You mention that Tatum Bell just kept on falling. I take it Mike Anderson went much earlier. Where was Anderson drafted, if you recall?
andeson was taken at pcik # 45 or at 3.9

Since this thread was so useful in helping me determine my strategy, I figured I would post my picks. I was hoping a top RB would fall to me at 2.12, but my league went RB crazy. I was forced to go RB/WR/WR. Holt went right before me at 2.11. :hot: 1.01 - LT (RB)2.12 - C.Johnson (WR)3.01 - T.Owens (WR)4.12 - C.Williams (RB)5.01 - K.Barlow (RB)6.12 - T.Brady (QB)7.01 - L.Johnson (RB)8.12 - C.Cooley (TE)9.01 - J.Plummer (QB)10.12 - Redskins (DEF)11.01 - K.Colbert (WR)12.12 - C.Rogers (WR)13.01 - M.Williams (WR)14.12 - J.Brown (K)

Our draft order was determined at random a 1/2 hour prior to our draft Weds night so I hadn't looked at this thread. 14 team re-draft. This is what I ended up with:Ladanian Tomlinson (1.1)Cadillac Williams(2.14)Chad Johnson (3.1)Michael Clayton (4.14)Jeremy Shockey (5.1)Larry Johnson (6.14)Aaron Brooks (7.1)Carolina (8.14)Byron Leftwich (9.1)Kevin Curtis (10.14)Chester Taylor (11.1)Travis Taylor (12.12)Brandon Jacobs (13.1)Neil Rackers (14.14) - dropped for FA Antonio BryantHow'd I do?

Our draft order was determined at random a 1/2 hour prior to our draft Weds night so I hadn't looked at this thread. 14 team re-draft. This is what I ended up with:

Ladanian Tomlinson (1.1)

Cadillac Williams(2.14)

Chad Johnson (3.1)

Michael Clayton (4.14)

Jeremy Shockey (5.1)

Larry Johnson (6.14)

Aaron Brooks (7.1)

Carolina (8.14)

Byron Leftwich (9.1)

Kevin Curtis (10.14)

Chester Taylor (11.1)

Travis Taylor (12.12)

Brandon Jacobs (13.1)

Neil Rackers (14.14) - dropped for FA Antonio Bryant

How'd I do?
Seriously? Caddy at 2.14 is a big reach - but CJ @ 3.1 is nice value. Other than that pretty weak potential IMHO. If Priest goes down, then you may be in good shape.

Any recent #1 pick drafters have any further thoughts on what their drafts are looking like?
Anew.
Hey bro, how you been? Are you looking for more feedback from me or just looking for frsh news from folks?
Hey MOP. Happy for your feedback.I'm one of the last few stragglers that hasn't drafted yet. Have my draft tomorrow evening. Thought I'd see if I could collect a last few thoughts from #1 pickers before my draft.

The scenario I'm really wrestling with now is IF 1QB, 18 RBs, and 5 WRs go in the first 24 picks. That means I choose between taking Dante Culpepper and the 19th RB. Then, with pick #25 (3.01), I again have to choose between taking Culpepper or the 20th RB.

As of now, that 20th RB is Mike Anderson - a relatively new addition to the top 20 RBs. My gut tells me that IF none of the top 5 WRs are still available, I should go RB-RB-RB, passing on Culpepper and making Anderson my 3rd RB.

Looking for any thoughts on this scenario.

Any recent #1 pick drafters have any further thoughts on what their drafts are looking like?
Anew.
Hey bro, how you been? Are you looking for more feedback from me or just looking for frsh news from folks?
Hey MOP. Happy for your feedback.I'm one of the last few stragglers that hasn't drafted yet. Have my draft tomorrow evening. Thought I'd see if I could collect a last few thoughts from #1 pickers before my draft.

The scenario I'm really wrestling with now is IF 1QB, 18 RBs, and 5 WRs go in the first 24 picks. That means I choose between taking Dante Culpepper and the 19th RB. Then, with pick #25 (3.01), I again have to choose between taking Culpepper or the 20th RB.

As of now, that 20th RB is Mike Anderson - a relatively new addition to the top 20 RBs. My gut tells me that IF none of the top 5 WRs are still available, I should go RB-RB-RB, passing on Culpepper and making Anderson my 3rd RB.

Anew.

You may be surprised who slips down to you but their is nothing wrong going RB-RB-RB.I would not hesitate to grab 2 WR out of the next batch however. Also do not overlook Cadillac Williams if all the RB are going off the board.

I agree with you that most likely someone will fall (WR hopefully). But I wanted to prepare myself for a contingency scenario of it being Dante Culpepper.Have finally gotten comfortable taking Mike Anderson early in the 3rd. Word out of Denver is looking very good.The basic question for me was would I pass on Dante Culpepper to take Anderson after already drafting 2 RBs - if that was the scenario facing me.But like I said, I'm comfortable now with adding Anderson as a 3rd RB along with Tomlinson and whomever else I take. Scary team, actually.

12 team redraft on 9/1, mostly sharks, no TE required, start QB, 2 RB, 3WR, K, D. All teams must have 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 2K & 2DMy first 11 picks:1.1 Tomlinson rb2.12 Holt wr3.1 Harrison wr4.12 Bulger qb5.1 Arrington rb6.12 Jimmy Smith wr7.1 L. Johnson rb8.12 Thomas Jones rb9.1 Favre qb10.12 Shockey wr/te11.1 Givens wrA little weak at RB2, but otherwise happy with how it went. Was hoping for Anderson to fall to me at the end of 4. Didn't plan to take a QB until 7 or 8 but could not pass on Bulger there after Anderson was gone. Arrington was the best RB left.

12 team redraft on 9/1, mostly sharks, no TE required, start QB, 2 RB, 3WR, K, D.

All teams must have 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 6 WRs, 2K & 2D

My first 11 picks:

1.1 Tomlinson rb

2.12 Holt wr

3.1 Harrison wr

4.12 Bulger qb

5.1 Arrington rb

6.12 Jimmy Smith wr

7.1 L. Johnson rb

8.12 Thomas Jones rb

9.1 Favre qb

10.12 Shockey wr/te

11.1 Givens wr

A little weak at RB2, but otherwise happy with how it went. Was hoping for Anderson to fall to me at the end of 4. Didn't plan to take a QB until 7 or 8 but could not pass on Bulger there after Anderson was gone. Arrington was the best RB left.
What pick was Mike Anderson drafted?

12 team redraft on 9/1, mostly sharks, no TE required, start QB, 2 RB, 3WR, K, D.

My first 11 picks:

1.1 Tomlinson rb

2.12 Holt wr

3.1 Harrison wr

4.12 Bulger qb

5.1 Arrington rb

6.12 Jimmy Smith wr

7.1 L. Johnson rb

8.12 Thomas Jones rb

9.1 Favre qb

10.12 Shockey wr/te

11.1 Givens wr

A little weak at RB2, but otherwise happy with how it went. Was hoping for Anderson to fall to me at the end of 4. Didn't plan to take a QB until 7 or 8 but could not pass on Bulger there after Anderson was gone. Arrington was the best RB left.

My first 11 picks:

1.1 Tomlinson rb

2.12 Holt wr

3.1 Harrison wr

4.12 Bulger qb

5.1 Arrington rb

6.12 Jimmy Smith wr

7.1 L. Johnson rb

8.12 Thomas Jones rb

9.1 Favre qb

10.12 Shockey wr/te

11.1 Givens wr

Damn, I'm thinking of taking him at 3.01.

fwiw - i have had two drafts thus farone i was in the #1 hole - see results above,next one i was in the #2 hole - found out minutes before the draft where you would be draftingi had similar results in both drafts i took lt out of the #1 and sa out of #2at the turn took two stud wr's and then filled in with a 2nd back some point (round 6 in the 2nd draft - not nearly as many sharks) AND round four with Dunn (i think?) in the 1st draft.after seven picks my rosters looked as follows:draft 1: 12 teamerltholtharrisondunnbennettchris brownbradydraft 2: 10 teamertwo quirks - you can only draft 4 rb and 7 wr/te(start 4 pass catchers and 2 rb'ssaholtcjbennettdriverandersontaylorYes, i got anderson at 6.09The point of this is that out of the #1 hole, or even #2 hole, you can wait on the 2nd rb and load up at wr - in neither draft was s. jackson or jordan available at the turn so basically i could go Mcnabb, westbrook or wr's - i decided the value was on building receviers as the top 5 are far and away a whole lot better than the next 15 IMHO and there is a greater difference there than when compared to the value between westy and dunn/taylor etc. Also, there is always somebody who comes out of nowhere each year to be a rb stud - you just gotta try to find em'... but that is another threadglta

Users who are viewing this thread