What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Linehan new lions OC (1 Viewer)

I'd think this would benefit Calvin...Linehan was terrible as a head coach, but when he was the OC at MN he used R. Moss a ton

I'd think this would benefit Calvin...Linehan was terrible as a head coach, but when he was the OC at MN he used R. Moss a ton
Hmmm... I think I disagree with this. Recalling his days as a Viking OC, he seemed to really spread the ball around and use more short routes. Yes, this could definitely help Calvin in PPR as Randy Moss became a guy who caught more balls (106 in 2002, 111 in 2003) under Linehan. OTOH, his YPC decreased quite a bit during Linehan days; he went from years of 19.0, 17.7, 18.7 all the way to 12.7 (2002), 14.7 (2003)... which were career lows other than a shortened 2006 Oakland season. Moss was just a lot more explosive in a downfield pass attack and I recall a lot of rumbling in Minnesota that he was no longer the difference maker and even suggestions his talent was slipping (which I think was wrong). Moss' TD numbers did stay constant 2 of Linehan's 3 years, but he also had a then career low 7 TDs in 2002 despite 106 receptions. It should also be mentioned Moss had a good QB who could get him the short passes accurately. I guess I'm a little disappointed as a Calvin owner in a non-PPR league wondering where his downfield opportunities (and 17.1 YPC) might go. This is a guy who is an absolute longball mismatch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Converting more first down will help Calvin and offset almost anything else from "spreading the ball around".
Really? And what QB will be spreading the ball around, moving the chains, and getting short accurate passes to Calvin in Detroit this year? :popcorn:

Converting more first down will help Calvin and offset almost anything else from "spreading the ball around".
Really? And what QB will be spreading the ball around, moving the chains, and getting short accurate passes to Calvin in Detroit this year? :popcorn:
Did you see their QBs last year? Did you see Calvins production?Im simply talking about an upgrade in coaching. Which should certainly help the first down issue by itself.
You're changing your argument. I totally agree Calvin was a beast, but LAST year Calvin was getting downfield passes from a so-so QB where he could significantly mismatch CBs, not in an offense that relied on moving the chains to get him into the redzone. He won't be getting downfield passes as often in a Linehan scheme, so they'd sure better find an accurate passer who can move the ball 5 yards at a time with accurate throws. Otherwise, Calvin's scoring opportunities will decrease, better coaching or whatever.

I remember there being a thread about Holt when Linehan went to STL and someone posted stats on Linehan's top WR's targets. I remember the numbers were favorable. IOW, I think this may be good for Calvin.

I remember there being a thread about Holt when Linehan went to STL and someone posted stats on Linehan's top WR's targets. I remember the numbers were favorable. IOW, I think this may be good for Calvin.
I think the fact that Detroit plays from behind in 100% of the games they play...is good for Calvin! :unsure:

the sheer amount of passes downfield will not be any less at the end of the year.
They won't? Well that's wonderful. Wait, maybe I'm jumping the gun getting excited by that news. Whatever historic stats you have to back that opinion up would certainly put my mind to ease. I already provided info as to how this scheme reduced Randy Moss' YPC, and his explosive plays. Torry Holt's YPC under Linehan? Then career lows 12.8 (2006), 12.8 (2007).

TIA

Let's also not forget that Linehan was running the Dolphins offense when Chris Chambers had an 1,100 yard 11 TD season in 05' with Gus Frerotte at QB.

Does it really matter who the OC or QB is for Calvin Johnson?? He'll get his no matter what.

That said, I like this hire for Detroit. Linehan seems to rank as one of those guys that can coordinate but may not be HC material.

Does it really matter who the OC or QB is for Calvin Johnson?? He'll get his no matter what.
The most sensible comment yet. To think this move to Linehan will decrease CJ's explosiveness is absurd. The guy is a beast and will continue to be HUGE.

I recall Linehan saying Culpepper could play for him anytime the day he put in for retirement. Sounds like good news for Daunte now.

Do any other Lions fans find it disconcerting that both the OC and DC are guys whose highest level of success was 5-10 years ago?

Do any other Lions fans find it disconcerting that both the OC and DC are guys whose highest level of success was 5-10 years ago?
Maybe a little. But at least they are not the types that can only do things one way (Martz & Marinelli). Both coordinators are at least flexible in their philosophies and appear to be dynamic in their in-game schemes/playcalling. According to Cunningham he was only running the defense in KC that Herm wanted, not what he wanted.

Maybe a little. But at least they are not the types that can only do things one way (Martz & Marinelli). Both coordinators are at least flexible in their philosophies and appear to be dynamic in their in-game schemes/playcalling. According to Cunningham he was only running the defense in KC that Herm wanted, not what he wanted.
He ran "his" defense (blitzing too many guys from predictable positions) in 2004 and 2005, and it was utter dogchit.

He ran "his" defense (blitzing too many guys from predictable positions) in 2004 and 2005, and it was utter dogchit.
Was this a case of an underperforming, talent-laden defense? Or a defense lacking in talent and taking risks, where the alternative was, well looking like the 2008 Lions? (seriously, I don't know much about the chiefs)I'm sure he has his negatives as you said, but it will still be a huge improvement over Joe Barry. The bar is extremely low here.

I recall Linehan saying Culpepper could play for him anytime the day he put in for retirement. Sounds like good news for Daunte now.
This is a good point; I have to admit I was assuming Culpepper gets released. Culpepper is due a $2.5 million roster bonus on Feb. 27 and an additional $2.5 million in salary for the 2009 season becomes guaranteed on that date. Linehan should pull for Culepper, since Daunte had a near MVP season in that offense. I can't decide if Culpepper has anything left though, and I suspect he may need to take a haircut to stay. If Culpepper stays in Detroit and gets in better shape, I like both him and Calvin for 2009.

This is a good point; I have to admit I was assuming Culpepper gets released. Culpepper is due a $2.5 million roster bonus on Feb. 27 and an additional $2.5 million in salary for the 2009 season becomes guaranteed on that date. Linehan should pull for Culepper, since Daunte had a near MVP season in that offense. I can't decide if Culpepper has anything left though, and I suspect he may need to take a haircut to stay. If Culpepper stays in Detroit and gets in better shape, I like both him and Calvin for 2009.
Therein lies the problem. The Lions could re-sign Orlovsky and retain both Kitna and Stanton for cheaper than only C-pep. I think they go into 2009 the same way they started 2008 at QB. AFAIK there is no cap hit to cut C-pep by 2/27. Anyone know what the hit would be to cut either Kitna or Stanton? Add this to his $5 mil and it is too expensive to retain him when you can have 3 QB's for the same price with 2 of them being equal (or better) in on-field performance.

ETA: I suppose they could always cut and re-sign Culpepper to a (much) cheaper deal since I highly doubt any other NFL team is looking to sign him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Therein lies the problem. The Lions could re-sign Orlovsky and retain both Kitna and Stanton for cheaper than only C-pep. I think they go into 2009 the same way they started 2008 at QB. AFAIK there is no cap hit to cut C-pep by 2/27. Anyone know what the hit would be to cut either Kitna or Stanton? Add this to his $5 mil and it is too expensive to retain him when you can have 3 QB's for the same price with 2 of them being equal (or better) in on-field performance.

ETA: I suppose they could always cut and re-sign Culpepper to a (much) cheaper deal since I highly doubt any other NFL team is looking to sign him.
Well, there was a posturing news report on the 23rd where the HC was quoted saying Culpepper's status is not changed by the hiring of Linehan, and that Linehan is in agreement with that. I read that to warn Culpepper that he is no shoe-in merely because he excelled in Linehan's offense. It would not surprise me if Culpepper sees the benefits of staying with the team for less money this season while auditioning for an even better deal via the opportunity to play in Linehan's scheme for a year.On your comments though, if I'm Linehan I'd easily choose Culpepper - a guy who is already familiar with my scheme and amassed 4700+ passing yards and 40+ total TDs running it, than making a financial decision to pay Kitna/Stanton that money and hope they can pick it up. Culpepper is 5 years younger than Kitna (just 31) so maybe it should not be assumed he's a stopgap, and maybe he can effectively run it for the next 5 years. Obviously a huge factor will be whether Linehan thinks Culpepper can get back into pro-athlete shape. If he's 280-290 right now like he looked this season that will work against him. He really needs to get down to the 240-245 he got to while with the Dolphins IMHO to show he's worth the risk with that knee and committed to something other than cashing checks.

Well, there was a posturing news report on the 23rd where the HC was quoted saying Culpepper's status is not changed by the hiring of Linehan, and that Linehan is in agreement with that. I read that to warn Culpepper that he is no shoe-in merely because he excelled in Linehan's offense. It would not surprise me if Culpepper sees the benefits of staying with the team for less money this season while auditioning for an even better deal via the opportunity to play in Linehan's scheme for a year.On your comments though, if I'm Linehan I'd easily choose Culpepper - a guy who is already familiar with my scheme and amassed 4700+ passing yards and 40+ total TDs running it, than making a financial decision to pay Kitna/Stanton that money and hope they can pick it up. Culpepper is 5 years younger than Kitna (just 31) so maybe it should not be assumed he's a stopgap, and maybe he can effectively run it for the next 5 years. Obviously a huge factor will be whether Linehan thinks Culpepper can get back into pro-athlete shape. If he's 280-290 right now like he looked this season that will work against him. He really needs to get down to the 240-245 he got to while with the Dolphins IMHO to show he's worth the risk with that knee and committed to something other than cashing checks.
Understood. I just think Culpepper has a long way to go to convince anybody he's worth $5 mil in 2009 based on what he's done the last 3 years. Maybe I'm just too hopeful the Lions are done with overpaying washed up players.

Users who are viewing this thread